ADVERTISEMENT

Five-star college basketball recruit Makur Maker commits to Howard over UCLA

Ronnie_B

All American
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2011
Holy crap! And good for the little guy getting the big man.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...kur-maker-commits-howard-ucla?linkId=92752039

Five-star senior Makur Maker announced his commitment to Howard on Friday morning, becoming the highest-ranked college basketball prospect to commit to a historically Black college or university since the ESPN recruiting database started in 2007.

Maker chose the Bison over UCLA, although Kentucky and Memphis were also on his final list of four schools.

Reminds me of Adonal Foyle, who could have gone anywhere. He chose Colgate. It didn't hurt his draft stock. He was the No. 8 pick in the 1997 NBA draft.

At the age of 15, Foyle was adopted by Joan and Jay Mandle, professors at Colgate. In his biography, Foyle explained that he enrolled at Colgate because "he wanted the opportunity to learn the principles of the game in a slower-paced setting, where the coach would be able to give him the attention he desired." At Colgate, he was the school's all-time-leading rebounder and 2nd-all-time-leading scorer. He led the Raiders to their first two NCAA tourney appearances in school history. He left as the NCAA's all-time leader in blocked shots with 492, despite playing only three college seasons. In 1999, Foyle graduated magna cum laude with a history degree.

Last edited:
I think this is a good decision for this kid. At Howard, he'll be something special while at UCLA he would have been just one more star in a long line of stars. And he can get a very good education. It's not a small college - it's a university with graduate programs and many options for majors. In addition, the Washington, DC location and Howard's tradition of educating many Black leaders and professionals bodes well for him in the future.

I remember the Adonal Foyle story above and how successful he was at Colgate. Thanks for the reminder.

This is an awesome story... He will have the option of the G league, so it will be interesting to see if he even ends up going to college. I hope he does

This isn't going to be an anomaly. Look for the next few years to trend towards improved basketball recruits and play in D1 conferences like MEAC, SWAC, Big South and Southland, that are homes to most of the HBCUs.

This isn't going to be an anomaly. Look for the next few years to trend towards improved basketball recruits and play in D1 conferences like MEAC, SWAC, Big South and Southland, that are homes to most of the HBCUs.

Just curious-----why do you think that will happen ?

Good for this kid. Remember Foyle, 23 years ago. That is amazing.

Good luck to him. Cole from St. Anthony was first team All State a few years ago and signed with Howard. He said he was so happy as they were the first school to recruit him. After only one year or two he changed his mind and transferred to Connecticut to play for Danny Hurley who is the son of Bob Hurley, his coach at St. Anthony. I sure hope Makur stays at Howard.

Just curious-----why do you think that will happen ?

Looking at our own Rutgers players on social media and how others D1 college players are commenting on Makur Maker's choice, it's been widely celebrated, went from under 10k followers and likes to over 80k followers and likes. Cliff 18k, Geo and RHJ 14k. Not saying there will be 25% of all top 100 or top 250 talent going to HBCUs, but there will be more considering them and more selecting them than ever before, especially with players making money off their likeness anywhere they go now. The racial divide in this country is bigger than its been in decades, and some states are more diverse than others and schools only have 13 scholarships. Things could change by 2021 depending on laws passed and elections in November but they are trending that way if things don't change. The more top recruits committing to HBCUs will force the top networks to cover these games and put more money into these conferences, domino effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyleman4
Gone are the days where you take the chance of not being discovered by NBA scouts if you dont go to a high major. Nowadays, it doesn't matter where you play, the scouts will find you if you're good enough.

Good luck to him. Cole from St. Anthony was first team All State a few years ago and signed with Howard. He said he was so happy as they were the first school to recruit him. After only one year or two he changed his mind and transferred to Connecticut to play for Danny Hurley who is the son of Bob Hurley, his coach at St. Anthony. I sure hope Makur stays at Howard.
unless hes really really good and transfers to Rutgers

Looking at our own Rutgers players on social media and how others D1 college players are commenting on Makur Maker's choice, it's been widely celebrated, went from under 10k followers and likes to over 80k followers and likes. Cliff 18k, Geo and RHJ 14k. Not saying there will be 25% of all top 100 or top 250 talent going to HBCUs, but there will be more considering them and more selecting them than ever before, especially with players making money off their likeness anywhere they go now. The racial divide in this country is bigger than its been in decades, and some states are more diverse than others and schools only have 13 scholarships. Things could change by 2021 depending on laws passed and elections in November but they are trending that way if things don't change. The more top recruits committing to HBCUs will force the top networks to cover these games and put more money into these conferences, domino effect.

Let's see if he gets there------G League offers him a large contract and it's 50/50 IMO he enrolls.

I hope he does as I think even if you're a 1 and done you're better off spending a year with a college experience.

But in no way do I see this as a trend----not a chance.

Kids want to be developed and become better players and the HBCU's lack the resources and the coaching to make that happen.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Gone are the days where you take the chance of not being discovered by NBA scouts if you dont go to a high major. Nowadays, it doesn't matter where you play, the scouts will find you if you're good enough.

All true. However, you get better by playing against the best and being coached by the best.

This won’t translate into a movement. Re-segregation will never win and most kids aren’t going to go to places with inferior academics, poor facilities and less support, coaching, and non exposure when they don’t have to.

I think some have the story confused a little.
This kid is already on the NBA radar and is already eligible for the 2020 NBA draft.
He is actually HS Class of 2019.
He petitioned the NBA to be eligible even though he was a couple credits short still.

This isnt a case of "You can be discovered at any school."

This commitment doesn't mean as much until after Aug 17th and he officially withdraws from the NBA draft.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29097665/sources-makur-maker-entering-nba-draft

Didn't seem to hurt Steph Curry

No, it didn’t and there are always exceptions. However, if I remember correctly, Curry wasn’t originally thought of as a D1 prospect, let alone a 5-star. This was mostly do to his size and strength at the time. The ACC passed him up originally, which is why he wound up at Davidson. Some bigger schools came in late but he didn’t have much of a choice. Maker can go anywhere he wants. Also, even though Davidson was in the Southern Conference at the time, they still played a tougher schedule than Howard does.

I hope he plays at Howard, at least for a year. I’m tired of the Dukes of the world.

Last edited:
This won’t translate into a movement. Re-segregation will never win and most kids aren’t going to go to places with inferior academics, poor facilities and less support, coaching, and non exposure when they don’t have to.
Wait, are you equating Howard University with "inferior academics"? Howard has an excellent business school and law school.

Re-segregation? WHAT? WOW.

I hope Maker attends Howard, I think the chances are slim, I really do.

Wait, are you equating Howard University with "inferior academics"? Howard has an excellent business school and law school.

Russ - consider the source. Any school other than RU in his "mind" has "inferior academics".

In general, not just Howard. Speaking in relation to other schools these kids can go to, which for some of them is basically any. Stanford or Grambling? No brainer.

Yea, there is a movement afoot, Single race dorms, clubs, at this rate it will be restaurants and water fountains soon. What old is new apparently.

In general, not just Howard. Speaking in relation to other schools these kids can go to, which for some of them is basically any. Stanford or Grambling? No brainer.

Yea, there is a movement afoot, Single race dorms, clubs, at this rate it will be restaurants and water fountains soon. What old is new apparently.
There is a difference between people making their own decision on what club they want to attend and what dorm they want to live in vs. the government passing, and enforcing, laws that mandate such things.

Reactions: cm_13
Semantics. Segregation is segregation. Expect it to continue even more.

Not to mention you are wrong. See Augusta as an example.

Semantics. Segregation is segregation. Expect it to continue even more.

Not to mention you are wrong. See Augusta as an example.
It's not semantics.

In one case it's a choice people make. In another case it was the law.

I don't know what's going on in Augusta and right now I don't care. Your point of view is disgusting to me so I'm no longer going to engage.

It's not semantics.

In one case it's a choice people make. In another case it was the law.

I don't know what's going on in Augusta and right now I don't care. Your point of view is disgusting to me so I'm no longer going to engage.

You are certainly free to keep your head in the sand. I find segregation disgusting, but that's just me. Carry on.

I see you've now met this poster Cali Knight. Man you don't know the half.

Reactions: Vegas pj
There is a difference between people making their own decision on what club they want to attend and what dorm they want to live in vs. the government passing, and enforcing, laws that mandate such things.

Russ, you're really ok with a group of people asking to separate and not integrate with others students based on their God given skin color?

It does sort of happen already in off campus fraternities and sororities.

But from what I can tell, not in on campus dorms on housing.

I was brought up hearing the melting pot, mixed salad message.
That diversity was great.

Why would people now all of a sudden not believe in that?

Reactions: Caliknight
Russ, you're really ok with a group of people asking to separate and not integrate with others students based on their God given skin color?

Not Russ but what are you referring to? The existence of the HBCU's?

It's so weird. They love segregation, but at the same time, call it racist. What a confusing world to live in lol.

ADVERTISEMENT