ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Five-Star F Ace Bailey To Rutgers

Is Ace likely a One & Done guy?

Haven't seen many 2025 mock drafts yet but a good rule of thumb is any elite (Top 20ish?) recruits is a potential one and done right off the top - before they even step on campus.
2024 mock drafts are already out and filled with 2023 recruits (HS seniors who haven't stepped foot on campus yet).

For example Bailey and Harper (for 2025 draft).

Then any elite performing freshman are also potential one and done canidates.
Essentially playing their way into consideration.
For example Griffiths potentially based on feedback from people who have seen him play (for 2024 draft).

Which creates a challenge of reloading very years

This was always going to the end result.
I never understood the people adamantly against "one and done" and critizing Kentucky or Duke.

If you want elite recruits, then your going to recruit one and done players.
It's just how the world of CBB is now.

Reactions: RUpop and RUChoppin
This was always going to the end result.
I never understood the people adamantly against "one and done" and critizing Kentucky or Duke.

If you want elite recruits, then your going to recruit one and done players.
It's just how the world of CBB is now.
I certainly understand the who and why of 1 and done and see that it almost the only way to get a natty but giving my choice as a fan, I really enjoy watching players grow through the years. Its nice to watch a Paul or Mag develop into the players they are becoming, or the anticipation of what Simpson can become.

Of course I want the Final 4s and the NCs but I would much rather have a bunch of 4 year players then a program like Kentucky.

I certainly understand the who and why of 1 and done and see that it almost the only way to get a natty but giving my choice as a fan, I really enjoy watching players grow through the years. Its nice to watch a Paul or Mag develop into the players they are becoming, or the anticipation of what Simpson can become.

Of course I want the Final 4s and the NCs but I would much rather have a bunch of 4 year players then a program like Kentucky.
The trick is building a strong team with developing players, and add in the one-and-done on top

I don’t think that’s the case, outside of 2012 Kentucky with AD and Kidd Gilchrist and 2015 Duke with Okafor, most final four teams or championship teams are built around Seniors and juniors. They have really good freshman that contribute but the main players are the upperclassmen.

I don’t think Rutgers will ever get to the point of pulling multiple 5 stars per class yearly, nor do I want them to as a fan BUT I see us having yearly classes where all players are in the top 150 with a top 10 kid every 3 years or so.

In my mind, teams with that make up make deep runs every year and never really struggle like this years Duke and Kentucky.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I don't think one and done is anything but a net positive. It makes RU more attractive to 4 and 5 star players in the future. It also adds credence to the selling point that RU can be a conduit to the NBA draft; which only a handful of BiG teams can say right now.

I am SALIVATING at the thought of this lineup in 2024-25:

1 - Warren, Davis, Miller
2 - Harper, Simpson (starters minutes)
3 - Griffiths, Chol
4 - Ace, Mag (starters minutes)
5 - Woolfolk, Reiber, Ndongo

OMFG

Reactions: Scangg
Noticed that 247 sports had Harper as 100% Duke. Did anything happen to indicate he was going there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
100% of the 1 predictions have him going to Duke.

The 1 prediction is from a Duke guy. He rates his prediction as 6 (medium confidence). Apparently he made it on Dec 27. This is all a lot of words to say: nothing has changed.

The 1 prediction is from a Duke guy. He rates his prediction as 6 (medium confidence). Apparently he made it on Dec 27. This is all a lot of words to say: nothing has changed.
Ok thanks

Yes, almost everyone ranked that high out of HS only plays one year in college. It would be rare for a guy ranked as high as he is to play more than one year in college.

I haven't really mentioned it but it probably deserves its own thread in a couple weeks (Feb 8 is a key date).
A new NBA CBA is likely to go into effect in 2024.
In that CBA is expected to be a move back to draft eligible at 18 - as early as the 2024 draft.

This could have enormous impacts for CBB - and especially for our burgeoning 2024 class.

If the NBA allows HS to NBA path and it goes into effect in 2024. It will impact current college Freshmen.
Some of them will want to leave after this season to get in before the HS kids can be drafted in the same class as them, getting drafted a few slots higher = $$$

happy paul rudd GIF

• Haha
Reactions: fluoxetine
Yes, almost everyone ranked that high out of HS only plays one year in college. It would be rare for a guy ranked as high as he is to play more than one year in college.

Going back through the 2016 class, only one player in the Rivals Top 5 played a 2nd season in college.

2021 Class - #5 Emoni Bates is currently in 2nd year, averaging 20.0 pts/5.9 reb at Eastern Michigan.

Is Ace likely a One & Done guy?
Doubtful. Have you seen Duke with their "Fab 5"? None of them are 1 and done. ...Probably 2, depending on how they adapt and get it together...Hell, they are just now starting to gel

Doubtful. Have you seen Duke with their "Fab 5"? None of them are 1 and done. ...Probably 2, depending on how they adapt and get it together...Hell, they are just now starting to gel

Their 3 highest rated freshman will definitely be one and done. All were top 5 recruits.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
You definitely didn’t watch the latest Pod.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT