ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Recruits

The last HC actually kept open or slightly widened the Florida pipeline.
Shane Burnham is from Florida. Don't know if he recruited Florida in his previous stops. Agree that RU is leaving a lot on the table if they are not recruiting Florida.

It's not 2007 anymore and Schiano isn't our coach guys. We have a different staff with different recruiting connections.

Reactions: JQRU91
Either Ash thinks Florida players are terrible, and can't cut it on the field, or he is putting his time and effort into areas/players the staff has ties to, and can recruit most efficiently.
I'm sure one of these conjectures is close to the truth, for the life of me can't put my finger on the right one.

RB Sneed ( most likely our starter in 2018 after Hicks and Martin leave) is from FL and was the #40 ranked RB recruit nationally by Scout and #32 by 24/7.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don't trust a commit from a Florida kid. Too much babysitting those kids to get a signature. If they are any good UM, UF, or FSU will swoop in last minute and take them.

[QUOTE="Rmm. Ooer#1fan, post: 2585898, bcim7ddnd7d7d7duddud7sss@$sd de wrasse 0@dddddd#d#fjds@sss@@s@@@@ss@sqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqssqqqqqkpmqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq s qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqs§ talent to compete in the B1G.
I guess you don't think players like Grant are important to RU. Everyone was gushing over his announcement 6 days ago.[/QUOTE]o

RB Sneed ( most likely our starter in 2018 after Hicks and Martin leave) is from FL and was the #40 ranked RB recruit nationally by Scout and #32 by 24/7.

Not a good example, he was a Flood recruit who committed before Ash was hired (before the summer actually) and he stuck with the program when Ash was scrambling to keep the class together.

I don't trust a commit from a Florida kid. Too much babysitting those kids to get a signature. If they are any good UM, UF, or FSU will swoop in last minute and take them.

Has nothing to do with that.
He wants to build a program w jersey kids that will then allow the kids and relationships to do future recruiting.
There are very talented florida (and Georgia) kids that would want to play here that aren't being recruited.

Reactions: RUaMoose
[QUOTE="Rmm. Ooer#1fan, post: 2585898, bcim7ddnd7d7d7duddud7sss@$sd de wrasse 0@dddddd#d#fjds@sss@@s@@@@ss@sqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqssqqqqqkpmqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq s qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqs§ talent to compete in the B1G.
I guess you don't think players like Grant are important to RU. Everyone was gushing over his announcement 6 days ago.
o[/QUOTE]
You nailed it right there.

Reactions: RUwoz
Wasn't assistant coach Aaron Henry who left for NC State the Florida point of contact? Maybe the lack of FL recruiting is why there wasn't too much handwringing when he split.

I wouldn't mind recruiting a modern day Beckford or Foster on defense. I always felt those Florida kidsplayed a major role in our 2006 season

Reactions: madchuck
Agree about needing to recruit Florida, but don't forget the staff is reaching into Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, etc. so they are not afraid to go into SEC country.

Reactions: ruready07
Wasn't assistant coach Aaron Henry who left for NC State the Florida point of contact? Maybe the lack of FL recruiting is why there wasn't too much handwringing when he split.
Looks that way.
Randall Haynie and Michael Nesbitt were two other Henry Florida targets.

Other Florida contacts:

Jordan Pouncey is listed as a target with Shane Burnham as the contact.
Deon Pate (Appalachian State) is another Burnham contact.
Same for Darrian McNeal (Oregon), DeCalon Brooks (FSU).

If so, Ash is leaving a lot of speed on the table down there in Florida.

Plenty of speed in this class so far. Would be nice to get that pipeline going again, don't get me wrong, but for now this staff's strength's aren't down there. Hopefully coach #10 helps that out a bit!

Since the GS days, I've thought RU's head coach should take a hard close look at Florida when a vacancy opens on his staff. I'm sure there are competent hs coaches and college personnel looking to move up the ranks. Sure, Fl is larger than NJ and has more major football programs, but there are FL looking to experience another area of the country, and RU now has the B1G along with the metro market to sell recruits.

I guess you don't think players like Grant are important to RU. Everyone was gushing over his announcement 6 days ago.
o[/QUOTE]

Sure, that's makes sense. Thanks for contributing.

We need the Jersey kids for sure, but at this point we can't be that picky. We have a lot of holes to fill and if we can find players further south, go there. It's always a changing climate, but it doesnt hurt to look.

If this program was to live and die by Florida kids we would have hired a coach with ties to Florida. Schiano got Florida kids because he has relationships there. Also helped that we played down there every year or almost every year. No more

Last edited:
Reactions: JQRU91
No, but it seems to me that this program has had success with the "under the radar" Florida kids. In other words, if we have to take a lot of 2 star prospects, I would rather have them from Florida than NJ or NY. (Tim Brown would be a good example.)

Tim Brown was a 5.7 3*.

We have a new coaching staff that came in a year ago with almost no ties to New Jersey. They needed time to get a good handle on recruiting here. Boggles my mind that people are complaining about Florida recruiting already.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
As opposed to all these Jersey commits ???
seems a lot easier..we've only had 3 decommits and we didnt seem to care all that much in regards to taylor. that number is pretty low especially considering a 2 win season

ADVERTISEMENT