ADVERTISEMENT

Football or Hoops-Better Chance at .500 in 2016-17?

Which team has a better chance of going .500(or closest to .500) in W-L in 2017?

• Football Team

Votes: 62 77.5%
  • Basketball Team

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Who has a better chance?
I purposely excluded "Neither" as an option, as the question is which team has a better chance to be 0.500 in W-L or closest to it.

Its not even close....we have no effing idea whos going to be on the basketball team in 2017. I think Shack mentioned we could have seven scholarships available in the next 17 months.

Both teams are expected to stink . Football should have a few wins, but with a few breaks might get to six wins . Basketball should be better than last year , but should stink too . Let's hope we see the growth we need to see in both programs .

Seriously? It has been 11 seasons since the BB team last broke .500. In that time, there have been only 3 seasons in which the FB team fell below .500 (and one of those was due to losing a bowl game). The FB team may not have a great chance of going .500 next season, but at least they have a chance. The BB team has a close to zero chance of going .500.

The basketball team did play about a month with 7 players. I think they will be closer if they are healthy and play better defense. OOC need to play better.

Seriously? It has been 11 seasons since the BB team last broke .500. In that time, there have been only 3 seasons in which the FB team fell below .500 (and one of those was due to losing a bowl game). The FB team may not have a great chance of going .500 next season, but at least they have a chance. The BB team has a close to zero chance of going .500.
This. Mods can lock the thread now. Thanks.

This. Mods can lock the thread now. Thanks.
3 votes for the hoops team.
If you believe some here, football team has no shot at winning against:

Washington, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Minnesota or Iowa. That leaves us at 5-7 at best, with 4-8 more probable with a loss to one or more of Illinois, Maryland and New Mexico, maybe even 2-10. Can men's hoops play better than .333?

It's a tougher question than you're making it out to be, if you really think about it. The football team loses a ton at OL, DL, and WR and we have not recruited well at all the last few years. Plus, you're obviously not taking into account the fact that we're now in the B1G and that for all those years where we finished above .500 in football we weren't in such a tough conference (except one). We have seven winnable games - Washington, Eastern Michigan, Morgan St. Purdue, and Maryland at home with Illinois and Indiana on the road. Could we lose two of those? Very, very easily.

Meanwhile basketball does not lose a single player from this year's squad. Nigel Johnson, Mike Williams, Sanders, Diallo, Doorson, Freeman, and Laurent will all be very experienced while new guys like Sa, Thiam, and Bullock will have a year under their belt. We won't be relying on whatever 2017 freshman we pick up, for once.

And don't act like we were never close to .500 in basketball. In 2012/13 we finished 15-16 with a bunch of close losses - 10 by 10 or fewer. Here's those results:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/164/year/2013/rutgers-scarlet-knights

Reactions: Knight Shift
It's not clear if the OP meant this coming season for both teams, or the one after. My answer changes depending on which season we're talking about.

Washington, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Minnesota or Iowa. That leaves us at 5-7 at best, with 4-8 more probable with a loss to one or more of Illinois, Maryland and New Mexico, maybe even 2-10. Can men's hoops play better than .333?

I can't help it that 3 morons voted...

What kind of odds are you giving because this certainly isn't a pick 'em situation?
Making it too complicated. Pick one based on where we are today.

Who do you think has a better chance finishing at .500, and if neither, who is closer to 0.500 (better winning percentage). I agree with RU23, it is not that easy of a pick.

Football will likely have 3 or 4 wins unless ash is the second coming. So if basketball can win 8 to 11 games they're in the drivers seat.

That's a lot tougher than people think. Basketball was always going to have a shot at .500 in Year 4 of Eddie Jordan. Outside of getting a perceived better coaching staff and having DJ Foreman transfer, nothing changes there. They should be very close to .500 and that's my expectation.

Football on the other hand has a talent and depth deficiency. 500 will be very impressive. I hope football gets to it but think hoops has the easier path.

Reactions: shields
It's a tougher question than you're making it out to be, if you really think about it. The football team loses a ton at OL, DL, and WR and we have not recruited well at all the last few years. Plus, you're obviously not taking into account the fact that we're now in the B1G and that for all those years where

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/164/year/2013/rutgers-scarlet-knights
Are you sure you're thinking about the 2016 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team here. Last I checked we're pretty stacked with returning starters at OL and DL. We only lost one guy from our Oline and one from our Dline. I give football the edge in the poll.

Are you sure you're writing about the 2016 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team here. Last I checked we're pretty stacked at OL and DL. Last I checked we only lost one guy from our Oline and one from our Dline.
I was talking about 2017 lol. I see now that's not what the OP meant. In that case it's obviously football. It would take a miracle to finish above .500 in basketball this year.

I voted football but generally speaking, it's much easier for better coaching to make a large impact and close the talent gap in basketball than it is in football.

Reactions: brodo
I was talking about 2017 lol. I see now that's not what the OP meant. In that case it's obviously football. It would take a miracle to finish above .500 in basketball this year.
Ahh yes now I see in the poll he wrote 2017. Then yes your assessment was totally spot on. I would like to now change my vote in 2017 I think basketball has a better shot at .500. The last regime's recruiting the last three years is going to really show in 2017. People who think this year's football squad lacks talent are nuts, wait till you see what we've got in 2017.

The basketball team did play about a month with 7 players. I think they will be closer if they are healthy and play better defense. OOC need to play better.
Football plays less games which gives that team a better chance for a .500 record.Mens basketball Rutgers will be the underdog in almost every league game especially on the road which means 10-12 wins will be difficult to achieve.

That's a lot tougher than people think. Basketball was always going to have a shot at .500 in Year 4 of Eddie Jordan. Outside of getting a perceived better coaching staff and having DJ Foreman transfer, nothing changes there. They should be very close to .500 and that's my expectation.

Football on the other hand has a talent and depth deficiency.

500 will be very impressive. I hope football gets to it but think hoops has the easier path.

.500 no..we have the least talent in the league..lus they do not know how to win

Knight Shift said:

I can't help it that 3 morons voted...

It could be those three weren't moron, but three RU WBB fans voting for the program they care about . They weren't thinking about the MBB team, it was WBB they thought about when they made their choice.

There's always someone nitpicking about something in every thread, this one: "Let it be me [banana]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT