ADVERTISEMENT

For People who make fun of Rutgers asking "WHY RU is IN and their school is not" show them this

RUinRochester

Redshirt
Gold Member
Apr 18, 2022
I wish I can say I researched this, but I just saw it, and copied the relevant statistics, and in the age posts, can't find the original to give them the proper due... but anyway.....

When people say why are the B10 football teams getting $129M /year in the future per school, vs. the SEC is getting less at $117M per team. With Alabama, Georgia, LSU, etc. the SEC has dominated college football and that conference has rabid fans. Here is the Networks response for justification… The SEC fans may be more rabid, but the BIG10 and it’s alumni base AND media markets sets the price. The heavy population base in the Upper Midwest, and Northeast makes a HUGE difference, followed by the potential fan bases and alumini.. look at the statistics below.

Largest Worldwide Living Alumni

10. Univ. of Purdue (ID) 479,025 BIG10

9. Univ of Texas (TX) 482,000 SEC

8. Rutgers Univ. (NJ) 486,000 BIG10

7. Univ of Cal Berkeley (CA) 499,604 PAC12

6. Ohio State University (OH) 500,000 BIG10

5 UCLA (CA) 500,000PLUS NOW BIG10

4. Michigan State Unv. (MI) 552,000 BIG10

3. Univ. of Michigan (MI) 575,000 BIG10

2. Indiana University (IN) 650,000 BIG10

1. Penn State University (PA) 673,000 BIG 10

Amazing but TRUE! 8 schools from the Future B10 vs. 1 from the SEC. Remember TV is about eyeballs watching LIVE sports. More eyeballs MORE MONEY!! Follow the money.

Last edited:
Only people that are watching TV are those in nursing homes. I was there to visit someone and I could not believe how important TV is there. So I am not sure TV is the future for younger demographics.

The future is in Metaverse. And no one is talking about that.
Football is going to be experienced differently than it is being experienced right now.
Who is best position to capture that? Mark Zuckerberg and the Chinese.

Using your DMA argument.. "...actually watching RU football?" Doesn't matter. By placing a B10 school in the NYC DMA, ANY eyeball watching ANY B10 football sure helps.. Don't forget without RU, the carriage fee for ALL of the NYC DMA would be pennies per subscriber... once RU was placed, that increased to I believe $1 per subscriber.. Rutgers PAID for themselves. Not with results on the field... but by putting dollars in the B10 Media Wallet. And that is what the B10 says about ANY new school now. You have pay for yourself to join.

Only people that are watching TV are those in nursing homes. I was there to visit someone and I could not believe how important TV is there. So I am not sure TV is the future for younger demographics.

Football is going to be experienced differently than it is being experienced right now.
The future.. but we need to pay the bills today. And its ratings and eyeballs and live sports that rings up Big media dollars... that's TODAY reality.. Plus.. it's not per say a TV.. it's any instrument to show a live football game.. and as long as they count viewers... teams will get paid TODAY

The way to capture foreign audiences is to have foreign athletes - to attract those eyeballs (think Houston Rockets with Yao Ming and popularity in China).

Rutgers should have great recruiting tools with their diverse student body and close access to a diverse NYC.
This is another tool in our belt that other schools won't have.

Is anyone really crying about Rutgers being in the BIG Ten anymore??? The demographics is irrelevant. The success of athletics and academics have been excellent lately.
Just go on Youtube.. and google B10 expansion.. there are literally 10 -20 video bloggers with thousands of followers and they are TRASHING Rutgers, as in we don't belong.. (because they are on the outside looking in). Every conference has probably 10 or so of these vloggers. It's not pretty. Then throw in the ESPN talking heads, Skip and however, Doug Gottlieb's and that like saying we will get Kicked out because we don't belong...

Just go on Youtube.. and google B10 expansion.. there are literally 10 -20 video bloggers with thousands of followers and they are TRASHING Rutgers, as in we don't belong.. (because they are on the outside looking in). Every conference has probably 10 or so of these vloggers. It's not pretty. Then throw in the ESPN talking heads, Skip and however, Doug Gottlieb's and that like saying we will get Kicked out because we don't belong...

Using your DMA argument.. "...actually watching RU football?" Doesn't matter. By placing a B10 school in the NYC DMA, ANY eyeball watching ANY B10 football sure helps.. Don't forget without RU, the carriage fee for ALL of the NYC DMA would be pennies per subscriber... once RU was placed, that increased to I believe $1 per subscriber.. Rutgers PAID for themselves. Not with results on the field... but by putting dollars in the B10 Media Wallet. And that is what the B10 says about ANY new school now. You have pay for yourself to join.

Yes, that's the right argument.

DMA is the stronger argument.

That alum number doesn't hurt, but the obvious counter is, "How many of those eyeballs are actually watching RU football."

Unfortunately, the answer continues to be, "Just wait ..."
IDK about the just wait part. There should indeed be more, but sports is becoming less popular with the younger generation.

I wish I can say I researched this, but I just saw it, and copied the relevant statistics, and in the age posts, can't find the original to give them the proper due... but anyway.....

When people say why are the B10 football teams getting $129M /year in the future per school, vs. the SEC is getting less at $117M per team. With Alabama, Georgia, LSU, etc. the SEC has dominated college football and that conference has rabid fans. Here is the Networks response for justification… The SEC fans may be more rabid, but the BIG10 and it’s alumni base AND media markets sets the price. The heavy population base in the Upper Midwest, and Northeast makes a HUGE difference, followed by the potential fan bases and alumini.. look at the statistics below.

Largest Worldwide Living Alumni

10. Univ. of Purdue (IL) 479,025 BIG10

9. Univ of Texas (TX) 482,000 SEC

8. Rutgers Univ. (NJ) 486,000 BIG10

7. Univ of Cal Berkeley (CA) 499,604 PAC12

6. Ohio State University (OH) 500,000 BIG10

5 UCLA (CA) 500,000PLUS NOW BIG10

4. Michigan State Unv. (MI) 552,000 BIG10

3. Univ. of Michigan (MI) 575,000 BIG10

2. Indiana University (IN) 650,000 BIG10

1. Penn State University (PA) 673,000 BIG 10

Amazing but TRUE! 8 schools from the Future B10 vs. 1 from the SEC. Remember TV is about eyeballs watching LIVE sports. More eyeballs MORE MONEY!! Follow the money.
Actually I wonder if that ranking only includes RU New Brunswick ?? Currently we have over 500000 alumni.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Since when are lions predatory on sheep?
Change it to wolf please.
Or change the prey to antelope.
A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of an antelope.
A wolf doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.

Yeah from 2012. Nothing lately.

Since when are lions predatory on sheep?
Change it to wolf please.
Or change the prey to antelope.
A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of an antelope.
A wolf doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.

Anybody know what user name George R.R. Martin uses here? I'll tag him. 😉

The way to capture foreign audiences is to have foreign athletes - to attract those eyeballs (think Houston Rockets with Yao Ming and popularity in China).

Rutgers should have great recruiting tools with their diverse student body and close access to a diverse NYC.
This is another tool in our belt that other schools won't have.
How about that…Ash was on to something with the Swedish thing.

Who knew?

• Haha
Reactions: angmo and NickRU714
It should, as that's the only campus with a D1 football team.

BTW, both Texas and Texas A&M have satillite campuses that would push up their numbers.
Except none of UTs and A&Ms satellite campuses have anything to do with UT Austin and A&M College Station.
UTSA, or A&M-SA are separate schools with separate Presidents. Just as UC Berkeley and UCLA are separate (same system) schools. No one counts a graduate of A&M Corpus Christi as an Aggie…EVER. A graduate of UT Dallas is not a longhorn alumnus.

DMA is the stronger argument.

That alum number doesn't hurt, but the obvious counter is, "How many of those eyeballs are actually watching RU football."

Unfortunately, the answer continues to be, "Just wait ..."

The strongest indicator is how many people on Long Island coming home from tennis clubs will watch when Rutgers plays Minnesota this year. From what I understand, people in the know believe this is a very important number.

He added, “Am I going to rush home from a tennis game on Saturday to watch Minnesota and Rutgers if I live on Long Island?”

This was always a great quote, and PJ needs to establish the Paul Tagliabue Trophy that goes to the winner of the Rutgers/Minnesota game. In hindsight, Tagliabue was absolutely correct when he "admits that he is a bit of a novice when it comes to the nuances of college sports."

Scarlet Jerry

The strongest indicator is how many people on Long Island coming home from tennis clubs will watch when Rutgers plays Minnesota this year. From what I understand, people in the know believe this is a very important number.

He added, “Am I going to rush home from a tennis game on Saturday to watch Minnesota and Rutgers if I live on Long Island?”

Just read that article over again, and realized . How hypocritical it was. We were the LAST ORIGINAL MEMBER to leave the Big East Football Conference. .Miami left and wanted BC and Syracuse to go with them. BC left twice, Virginias governor made sure VT had a seat,, Syracuse and Pitt joined the party too! Temple had already been kicked out!
They all left us to die on the vine!
We were fortunate to get a life line from the BIG and Tagliabue makes a stink about us?
What did he expect? A 50,000 stundent land grant State University of NJ.to stay in the almost all small Catholic School basketball conference.
You have to wonder did he even have a clue?

Last edited:

This was always a great quote, and PJ needs to establish the Paul Tagliabue Trophy that goes to the winner of the Rutgers/Minnesota game. In hindsight, Tagliabue was absolutely correct when he "admits that he is a bit of a novice when it comes to the nuances of college sports."

Scarlet Jerry

Just read that article over again, and realized . How hypocritical it was. We were the LAST ORIGINAL MEMBER to leave the Big East Football Conference. .Miami left and wanted BC and Syracuse to go with them. BC left twice, Virginias governor made sure VT had a seat,, Syracuse and Pitt joined the party too! Temple had already been kicked out!
They all left us to die on the vine!
We were fortunate to get a life line from the BIG and Tagliabue makes a stink about us?
What did he expect? A 50,000 stundent land grant State University of NJ.to stay in the almost all small Catholic School basketball conference.
You have to wonder did he even have a clue?
As this guy below said:

“He wasn’t my first choice…”

DhyLIgDWkAEscZG.jpg

Last edited:

What the heck is the "Metaverse"?

Does that mean I can watch the game on my iPhone instead of having to watch it on my 75" 4K TV?

Reactions: RU at the shore

Scarlet Jerry

How about this for a trophy?
front-view-tennis-gold-trophy-racket-ball-front-view-tennis-gold-trophy-racket-ball-white-background-139147645.jpg

And one other quote: "Tagliabue has engaged with Big East Commissioner John Marinatto on a number of topics." Had wondered what happened to Marinatto. Mabye it was posted , but he passed away last June at 63. He never married. After the collapse of the Big East as a football conference, he became a recluse.

"Marinatto followed Tranghese and became the third Big East commissioner in 2009. Not long after, the conference started to splinter again and Marinatto was unable to hold it together.

“He carried that burden around with him the rest of his life,” said former Big East Associate Commissioner Nick Carparelli, now the executive director of Bowl Season, an organization that promotes and supports postseason college football games."

"Tranghese said Marinatto blamed himself for the Big East coming undone.

“I had many conversations with him because that was absolutely not the case,” Tranghese said. “The deck was stacked. There were circumstances totally out of his control.”

Dan Gavitt said: “It speaks to John’s sense of duty and responsibility that he felt that personally he allowed realignment to happen on his watch.”

Marinatto became somewhat reclusive. Even many of his close friends and colleagues from his time in college sports did not see him often."

Another article on Marinatto, by Pete Thamel:

Seems he fit the adage that nice guys finish last:
"In the wake of the Big East’s implosion, he confided that he was too embarrassed to go to the Dunkin’ Donuts drive-thru for his beloved iced coffee."

Actually, there are more and more R magnets all over Nassau County than ever

And one other quote: "Tagliabue has engaged with Big East Commissioner John Marinatto on a number of topics." Had wondered what happened to Marinatto. Mabye it was posted , but he passed away last June at 63. He never married. After the collapse of the Big East as a football conference, he became a recluse.

"Marinatto followed Tranghese and became the third Big East commissioner in 2009. Not long after, the conference started to splinter again and Marinatto was unable to hold it together.

“He carried that burden around with him the rest of his life,” said former Big East Associate Commissioner Nick Carparelli, now the executive director of Bowl Season, an organization that promotes and supports postseason college football games."

"Tranghese said Marinatto blamed himself for the Big East coming undone.

“I had many conversations with him because that was absolutely not the case,” Tranghese said. “The deck was stacked. There were circumstances totally out of his control.”

Dan Gavitt said: “It speaks to John’s sense of duty and responsibility that he felt that personally he allowed realignment to happen on his watch.”

Marinatto became somewhat reclusive. Even many of his close friends and colleagues from his time in college sports did not see him often."

Another article on Marinatto, by Pete Thamel:

Seems he fit the adage that nice guys finish last:
"In the wake of the Big East’s implosion, he confided that he was too embarrassed to go to the Dunkin’ Donuts drive-thru for his beloved iced coffee."

Remember reading about this.

Stopped making fun after learning about it.

Same with our favorite NJ.Com columnist…mean to tease after hearing a few things.

Interesting quote from UCLA AD:

For his part, Martin Jarmond, UCLA’s athletic director, claimed the move is primarily about increasing “representation” in the NIL era. By opening up the school to potentially more nationally televised East Coast games and markets, Jarmond says they can now offer students and athletes an enhanced opportunity to find “their voice and their brand and what matters to them.”

What are those East Coast games and markets he speaks of, and why do they have access to them? 🤔🤔🤔

I interacted with him after the Howard Game in 2016 (Chris Ash's first home game) on the way out of the stadium. He seemed like a decent guy. His thing is his columns has a look at me aspect to them, but I was reading a column by him about when RU joined the Big Ten (can't find it again, at least now), and it was beautifully written and highly supportive of why RU was the right choice by the Big Ten and RU was a great fit.

For some of his other articles, it is more about not liking the "art," and nothing to do about the artist.

As for Marinatto, he was truly broken after 2012. And he seemed like a really decent guy.

I interacted with him after the Howard Game in 2016 (Chris Ash's first home game) on the way out of the stadium. He seemed like a decent guy. His thing is his columns has a look at me aspect to them, but I was reading a column by him about when RU joined the Big Ten (can't find it again, at least now), and it was beautifully written and highly supportive of why RU was the right choice by the Big Ten and RU was a great fit.

For some of his other articles, it is more about not liking the "art," and nothing to do about the artist.

As for Marinatto, he was truly broken after 2012. And he seemed like a really decent guy.
Marinatto had a hot mess where no one could agree on anything and ESPN conspiring against him. There was nothing he could have done once Pitt and Syracuse left.

Reactions: Knight Shift
May I ask what is probably a stupid question? It seems to me that, for the carriage fee to increase, the cable company has to think that having Rutgers in the Big Ten is going to cause a lot more people to want to watch the Big Ten (whether they're watching a Rutgers game or not); that, for instance, the number of people who want to watch, say, Ohio State v. Iowa is going to increase because Rutgers is in the Big Ten. Is there any evidence showing this? Why should more people want to watch Ohio State v. Iowa just because Rutgers is in the Big Ten? It seems to me that the increase in viewership is going to happen only if there are a lot of people who care about Rutgers, and so care about how non-Rutgers games affect Rutgers. So it's important to Rutgers' future in the Big Ten for it to attract a big fan base, and that's going to happen only if Rutgers has winning teams.

Or am I way off base here?

From what I remember, those rules apply across the industry. The rights fees change once the conference has a team in that market footprint, and at times it could be 2 and 3 states depending on other area media factors. From what I read that was key to USC and UCLA as these are base fee revenue directly to the conference separate from the TV pact since it's paid from Comcast, AT&T, etc.. That was the selling point that Pernetti helped the B10 people understand.... hence the DC metro market fees for Maryland also.. In addition at your next TV contract renewal you have a larger base to sell...

From what I remember, those rules apply across the industry. The rights fees change once the conference has a team in that market footprint, and at times it could be 2 and 3 states depending on other area media factors. From what I read that was key to USC and UCLA as these are base fee revenue directly to the conference separate from the TV pact since it's paid from Comcast, AT&T, etc.. That was the selling point that Pernetti helped the B10 people understand.... hence the DC metro market fees for Maryland also.. In addition at your next TV contract renewal you have a larger base to sell...
Thanks for your very informative reply. So it sounds like the rights fees are determined by national rules ("thus and so happens if a conference has a team in a market") rather than by individual negotiation between the conference and the cable company when the conference acquires a team in the company's market. And also it sounds like the size of the rights fees is determined by the size of the market rather than by how strong the team is at attracting viewers in that market. If that's true -- please tell me if I have it wrong -- then it's quite understandable why the Big Ten wanted Rutgers when Rutgers sports became reasonably competitive with other Big Ten teams even with Rutgers not yet having a huge fan base. After all, because Rutgers is in the New York market, it has the potential to have a gigantic fan base once the teams become winners. Thanks again!

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT