ADVERTISEMENT

Former RU player on NASCAR pit crew?

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
So, for those that don't really follow NASCAR, the guys on the pit crews are usually made up of former college athletes, particularly college football players that didn't go pro. This is because the tires can weigh up to 30 pounds, the gas can weighs about 100 pounds (and empties into the car in about 4 seconds), and the jackman has to lift half of the 4000-lb car in the air in about 2 seconds. Well, coming across this video of Kyle Larson's Chip Ganassi Racing Chevy team's version of the Running Man challenge (like our football team did a few days ago, for those of you who saw that video), I noticed one of the crew guys with a big red R on his helmet! Does anyone recognize who that might be??

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Yes, there is a former player that was on a pit crew a few years back. I assume that is probably him. If I recall his last name starts with an R and is very polish. I think he had a brother on the team too.

Learned this recently, that a lot of the racing pit crew teams are made up of former football players. Lots of the same movements and motions, not to mention requires a combo of speed and strength. Also the work ethic and competitive attitude learned on the football field also translate well to the world of professional racing. Pretty cool.

I still don't understand the interest in watching cars go round and round, or people hitting a small white ball into a little hole..... But, to each his own.....

I think you meant to reply to the thread "I think NASCAR racing and golf are awesome." This thread is about former football players on pit crews.

It's fine, I don't really understand the entertainment of people running back and forth with a lump of cow skin and everyone else trying to jump on him

Went to a NASCAR event once. It was the single worst experience of my life. It was cool for about two laps. Then some said this would go on for 4 hours or something. And the people. Definitely not the best of breed that's for certain.

Formula 1 is something altogether different, and interesting; NASCAR is for booger eating, canned beer swilling dolts, lol.

I had the same impression about NASCAR as you until a friend of mine who is heavily into it forced me to go to race with him as a condition of loaning me his motor home for a road trip.

We were parked trackside and I'll never forget the feeling of primal excitement as the roar of a nascar engine flying by us on the track at about 180mph raised me from a morning hangover rest.

I'm still not into NASCAR but I certainly don't wonder why other people are so into it. Those drivers are flat out daredevils.

I've since attended Skip Barber racing school twice, once at Laguna Seca which was arguably the most fun thing I've ever done, and then again at Limerock which was a bit of a letdown after Laguna Seca but still a blast.

Driving fast is one of the most under appreciated skills in 'sports'. Professional race car drivers are every bit as exceptionally good at what they do as Steph Curry or Tom Brady are at their jobs. If you rode even around an oval track with them you would crap yourself.

Went to a NASCAR event once. It was the single worst experience of my life. It was cool for about two laps. Then some said this would go on for 4 hours or something. And the people. Definitely not the best of breed that's for certain.

Hopefully you realize you could make the exact same comment about any major event, sporting or otherwise, that draws a large crowd.

I went to [event] once. I hated it because I don't like it. It was the worst day ever! It went on for way to long - it seemed like forever - mainly, because I didn't like being there. The people that were there enjoying it were not people like me, so I didn't like them either.

LOL.

Millions of people attend stock car races each year. If you think you are justified to look down your nose at all of them, I would say that problem resides with you, not them. Anything that draws that many people is going to get a pretty fair cross section of the country we live in.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT