ADVERTISEMENT

Former Scarlet Knights Win GWBA National Championship

Drayon10

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2017
RU faithful...

Congratulations to Rachel Hollivay, Stasha Carey and Ciani Cryor on wining the 2022 Global Women's Basketball Association (GWBA) national championship with the Flint Monarchs women's professional basketball team out of Flint, MI. Flint, MI is home to current RU Women's basketball Head Coach Coquese Washington.

About former Rutgers players during our championship quest:
Rachel Hollivay came alive and was such a dominant force in the post, she put on a clinic during the season, our playoff run and commanded a double team most games.

Stasha Carey used her versatility to crashed the boards, defended well and hit some big shots down the stretch; this included 3 pointers. I believe Stasha's best basketball is still ahead of her!

Ciani Cryor was our floor general who executed the pick and roll with Stasha to perfection, she knocked down some big three point shots all season and put pressure on the ball.

I have followed these players since there arrival at Rutgers and it has been an honor to coach players from under C. Vivian Stringer, Rutgers and to win another national championship.

I have been a long standing C. Vivian Stringer fan since I saw her more than three decades ago coaching at Iowa and I followed her to Rutgers which has been my favorite women's college team since her arrival. I was saddened by her retirement announcement and It will be difficult not seeing her on the sidelines or hearing her name mentioned. However, to see a Flint native at the helm in Coach Washington helps lessen the blow. I know Coach Washington will do well, I wish her the very best and will continue my support to Rutgers Women's Basketball.

Links for championship news coverage, game photos and video clip are below:

News coverage of Flint Monarchs 2022 national championship

Photo of Stasha Carey & Ciani Cryor pose with GWBA Championship Trophy

Photo of Rachel Hollivay & Jasmine McCall pose with GWBA Championship Trophy

ADVERTISEMENT