ADVERTISEMENT

Francesa--what a dope

I remember when the Mets signed Kaz Matsui, Francesa only referred to him "the japanese guy" for the entire off season. I think he hates asians.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
I think the editorial got it right. I don't see it as offensive myself just outdated and not something you would use.
What I do find funny is the way we use terms like Asians and Hispanics for entire groups of people. Is a Cuban, a Mexican, an Argentine and a Puerto Rican interchangable?
I remember when I first got here I asked a young lady if she was Vietnamese or Korean and I thought she was going to kick the shit out of me. Her response was, and I qoute. "Are you kidding me? Can't you tell? Look at my eyes!!"
I'm not making that up.
Funny but know I can tell the difference by their eyes.

ignorance , and insensitivity abound and defending that is even more distasteful--by the way I can find ten more articles that will inform the uninformed why and I'm not even a guy who can be accused as being politically correct--end of story --no excuse for dumbness

"It now politically incorrect to use the word “Oriental,” and the admonition has the force of law: President Obama recently signed a bill prohibiting use of the term in all federal documents. Rep. Grace Meng, the New York congresswoman who sponsored the legislation, exulted that “at long last this insulting and outdated term will be gone for good.”
---------------------------
Use of "Oriental" was outlawed by legislation, but the Supreme Court ruled that "slants" is protected speech and slants will be in many federal documents within the US Patent and Trademark Office.

Reactions: LC-88 and ruready07
I always stop short and ask how do you want to be recognized? African American, Black, Hispanic, Latino, Asian, Oriental, Italian American.

I don't see any ethnic slurs listed above, if I'm wrong please tell me.

So the elderly gentleman born in Hong Kong who uses the word "Oriental" is ignorant and insensitive?
Old habits die hard, especially when there are no bad intentions.

Look, are we as a society hyper-sensitive to political correctness? For sure. But I thought we put oriental to bed a decade or two ago. C'mon.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I didn't even know oriental was a bad thing... therefore, how bad could it be?
It literally is meant to describe people from a certain part of the world.

I would never be offended if anyone called me any word - Dumb yankee, Euro trash, cracker, ugly, etc.. why are we so weak these days? It's crazy

Not all Asians are from the orient. Read a British newspaper and they describe people from the subcontinent as "Asian".

So if you want to be politically correct and geographically vague go right ahead and lump all Asians together.

Not all Asians are from the orient. Read a British newspaper and they describe people from the subcontinent as "Asian".

So if you want to be politically correct and geographically vague go right ahead and lump all Asians together.

Quite correct. If you live in Tel Aviv you would be Asian. Try to argue that one with your uncle Morty.

Reactions: delaynomore
This is a dumb debate. The word has come into disuse so use the new word "Asian", but please only use it to describe people that used to be called "oriental" -- which is stupid...but we change with the times.

I always stop short and ask how do you want to be recognized? African American, Black, Hispanic, Latino, Asian, Oriental, Italian American.

I don't see any ethnic slurs listed above, if I'm wrong please tell me.
Wait about 100 years and they all will be, as PC wordsmithing continues on its insane path.

Haha, this reminds me of a lady on my team at work. She would say "I'm not Oriental. Oriental is carpet. I'm Chinese."
Scotch isn't a race....it comes in bottles...an old ignorance test that never seems to penetrate our thick skulls !!!

Honestly, that's an old school word. I can tell you guys are old men. Nobody under 50 refers to anyone as Oriental.
That's the point. Francesa is 63. Hate to defend the guy. On the other hand, as a broadcaster, he should know that the word is offensive to young white PC people.

I'm curious - for all the folks who think it is OK to call an Asian person Oriental - what is the cost of my perspective that it isn't OK? I see folks saying that there is 'oversensitivity'. Why is that alone a problem? Why isn't it OK to be sensitive to folks?

Reactions: redking
Scotch tape isn't from Scotland?
Don't know....I've never been there but no self respecting Scot would call any product outside Scotch Scotch....many of my family live and visited the country .....most are Scot Canadian from PEI and Cape Breton Island,NS and came with Lord Alexander Selkirk in 1794....from the Hebrides...the 1st Catholic Archbishop of the maritimes was a direct ancestor Angus Bernard MacEachern...

Last edited:
The name Scots came from the Roman's meaning Irish or Sea pirates..Scotus and as the Irish Dalriada tribe settled there in Caledonia it became Scots land..

Last edited:
He's not from a dinosaur generation. He's just a dinosaur. And it certainly is comical (or scary) that anyone would call Francesca for an opinion about a Supreme Court decision.

That's his new thing loves to talk politics every chance, he thinks he is an expert on everything.

Reactions: RU22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT