ADVERTISEMENT

Francesa--what a dope

There are still many organizations named with so called "offensive" terminology, like United Negro College Fund and National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Why no outrage against them? Why don't they change their names? I'm not saying they should, just putting it out there.

Reactions: goru1869
c321c815b655e42f2d36852abbcf89dba7678669be6deb13a90f46b079c7af11.jpg

Reactions: RUDutch
Just remember that Rutgers was started by a bunch of Dutchmen. Oops, now I'm being sexist.

"Literally, it means of the Orient or of the East, as opposed to of the Occident or of the West. Last I checked, geographic origin is not a slur. If it were, it would be wrong to label people from Mississippi as Southerners."

Um humm.

I wonder what the hyper sensitives would have us call "Murder on the DELETED Express"

Reminds me of when this happened recently, lol

http://observer.com/2017/05/murder-on-the-orient-express-twitter/

As an Asian, I find the word unoffensive. Much better than chink, mongoloid (which was used in science books not too long ago), slants, etc that were meant to be demeaning.

General rule of thumb. Call people of different ethnicities what they would call themselves. That's not about being PC. It's about decency and respect.

Oriental is not really like the n-word. That's too strong. Oriental is more like using the word "negro".

"what they would call themselves"

Oh no... now that's another can of worms.. NWA, etc.

There are still many organizations named with so called "offensive" terminology, like United Negro College Fund and National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Why no outrage against them? Why don't they change their names? I'm not saying they should, just putting it out there.
For them, it's mainly an issue of branding. The United Negro College Fund attempted a number of years back to rebrand itself as 'the Fund." No one knew what it was, so they went back to UNCF (and they do tend to use this initialization as often as possible after establsihing the full name on first reference.

NAACP tends use use its full name less often, and fortunately for them, this initialization is recognized by most folks even on first reference.

An example of an advocacy organization that did away with its former name is the Arc. Formerly "ARC,' it was an acronym that stood for Association of Retarded Citizens," but because "retarded" fell into disfavor, they decided to decapitalize the acronym and just made ARC a word: Arc.

Reactions: RUDutch
"Literally, it means of the Orient or of the East, as opposed to of the Occident or of the West. Last I checked, geographic origin is not a slur. If it were, it would be wrong to label people from Mississippi as Southerners."
I believe the rationale for condemning "Oriental" as a description for Asians is because it centers Europe and Europeans as the standard of reference, with other regions being positioned in relation to that. That is, China is not the "Far East" if you live in China; it's right here.

Reactions: ScarletNut
So if you're born in Egypt (North Africa for those geographically challenged) and living in the U.S., are you Egyptian-American or African-American?
If they're an American citizen, than you'd call them ............... an American.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
This board never ceases to amaze.

Alumni of a school where over a quarter of the population is Asian-American are insisting it is OK to use an offensive word that no one over 50 would ever use to describe a person.

Fatcessa should have known to get the support of some our fans all he had to use is a term accepted as racist and outdated by 99% of people.

"It now politically incorrect to use the word “Oriental,” and the admonition has the force of law: President Obama recently signed a bill prohibiting use of the term in all federal documents. Rep. Grace Meng, the New York congresswoman who sponsored the legislation, exulted that “at long last this insulting and outdated term will be gone for good.”
---------------------------
Use of "Oriental" was outlawed by legislation, but the Supreme Court ruled that "slants" is protected speech and slants will be in many federal documents within the US Patent and Trademark Office.

No one is saying the First Amendment bars him from saying it.

But it's a ridiculously stupid and racist thing to say.

I think the editorial got it right. I don't see it as offensive myself just outdated and not something you would use.
What I do find funny is the way we use terms like Asians and Hispanics for entire groups of people. Is a Cuban, a Mexican, an Argentine and a Puerto Rican interchangable?
I remember when I first got here I asked a young lady if she was Vietnamese or Korean and I thought she was going to kick the shit out of me. Her response was, and I qoute. "Are you kidding me? Can't you tell? Look at my eyes!!"
I'm not making that up.
Funny but know I can tell the difference by their eyes.

Same with white people. We say "Europeans" but how much does Portugal and Finland have in common?

No one is saying the First Amendment bars him from saying it.

But it's a ridiculously stupid and racist thing to say.
How could it be racist if he did not use it as an insult?
Unless we know his intent, his using it shows he is insensitive to the fact that the word is out of fashion. But he is 63.
(Can't believe I am defending Francesa).

Unless we know his intent, his using it shows he is insensitive to the fact that the word is out of fashion. But he is 63.
notinmymouth often says stupid things like this

I am amazed that some on here are saying they didn't even know that "Oriental" is now considered offensive unless you are talking about rugs or food. I don't care if you think it is right or wrong but to say you didn't even know it was offensive, is mind boggling to me.
I am over 50 and grew up hearing Oriental, Colored/Negro/Black etc. The later even being used when describing darker skinned latino's and hispanics. We now have Asian, African American(which is sometimes funny because it is also used for those who don't have a single ancestor from Africa or many that are not American) etc.
Sometimes we may not know what the proper term is but we should all at least know what not to use.

I am amazed that some on here are saying they didn't even know that "Oriental" is now considered offensive unless you are talking about rugs or food. I don't care if you think it is right or wrong but to say you didn't even know it was offensive, is mind boggling to me.
I am over 50 and grew up hearing Oriental, Colored/Negro/Black etc. The later even being used when describing darker skinned latino's and hispanics. We now have Asian, African American(which is sometimes funny because it is also used for those who don't have a single ancestor from Africa or many that are not American) etc.
Sometimes we may not know what the proper term is but we should all at least know what not to use.

Did not think anyone was claiming they did not know it was offensive to SOME people.

From a couple of the articles posted, the term seems to be offensive to the younger generation, as SOME older people from China use the term themselves. So, it is offensive to SOME people. What is a bit amusing is young white hipsters claiming offense to use of a term that does not pertain to them.

Reactions: CJ1987
Did not think anyone was claiming they did not know it was offensive to SOME people.

From a couple of the articles posted, the term seems to be offensive to the younger generation, as SOME older people from China use the term themselves. So, it is offensive to SOME people. What is a bit amusing is young white hipsters claiming offense to use of a term that does not pertain to them.

Going back, it seems you are almost right. There was one poster who did not know it was offensive and the 2 or 3 that most are not surprised that know it is offensive but don't care because they don't find it offensive.

Going back, it seems you are almost right. There was one poster who did not know it was offensive and the 2 or 3 that most are not surprised that know it is offensive but don't care because they don't find it offensive.
What is maybe surprising or perhaps not is that as a broadcaster, Francesa used the term. But some time older people are just clueless and have no ill intent.
Remember in a diversity training seminar at a large national law firm back in the mid 1990's the presenter stated that diversity did not just apply to men and women or African American and Caucasians--it also applied to Chinese, Japanese, Indians and other nationalities.
An older partner sitting in the training seminar proceeded to chant "woo, woo, woo, woo" while tapping his mouth, thinking it was funny. Everyone in the room, including the presenter, ignored him.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

So...it's OK to use racial slurs when the intent is not racist? 63 year olds know better. If he was 80 and in a home with dementia, I'd give a free pass.

As others have pointed out, he used similar terms about Asians before. He's either racist, or incredibly stupid. Likely both.

I still don't understand why some people consider Oriental on par with the N-word. The world is way too sensitive these days. See the below take from an Asian author. PC culture this day and age is unbearable.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-tsuchiyama-oriental-insult-20160601-snap-story.html
Just the fact that people on this board are willing to write "Oriental" out but won't write out the "n word" tells you all you need to know about how people feel about the words.

Reactions: bac2therac
I believe the rationale for condemning "Oriental" as a description for Asians is because it centers Europe and Europeans as the standard of reference, with other regions being positioned in relation to that. That is, China is not the "Far East" if you live in China; it's right here.

Sure - but why would Europe not use itself as the standard of its own reference? Especially considering it was Europeans who first sailed and recorded the global geography. Prior to the European Renaissance most shorelines weren't even known to any culture. European maps from 1500s are pretty tight all things considered

Chinese have a term for westerns: "Gweilo" - means "ghost man" (among other things). Probably akin to Indians using "pale face". Things could be worse lol

1564:

CCQ5RbM.jpg

OMG ! Is it time for the human race to evolve into mutes ?
I took a walk in what was a neighborhood of Italian restaurants, sub shops etc when I move in my house over 41 years ago. I now notice a lot of the restaurants
no longer have signs in English and Korean or English and Chinese. No more English, now is that racism in itself to dIscourage
English speaking people? and 2nd question I can't read those languages so I said to my wife, Don't want to go in
if they can't tell me what kind of food it is, so I said to her I Know it is oriental but that's all I know. Did I say something wrong?
will I lose my Edison home for being a racist? By the way we recently figured we try some out, and the owners and people
at some of those places were rude and tried to discourage us from sitting. Are they racist?

Reactions: bac2therac
I took a walk in what was a neighborhood of Italian restaurants, sub shops etc when I move in my house over 41 years ago. I now notice a lot of the restaurants
no longer have signs in English and Korean or English and Chinese. No more English, now is that racism in itself to dIscourage
English speaking people? and 2nd question I can't read those languages so I said to my wife, Don't want to go in
if they can't tell me what kind of food it is, so I said to her I Know it is oriental but that's all I know. Did I say something wrong?
will I lose my Edison home for being a racist? By the way we recently figured we try some out, and the owners and people
at some of those places were rude and tried to discourage us from sitting. Are they racist?

The answer to everything except losing your home is , yes

Sure - but why would Europe not use itself as the standard of its own reference? Especially considering it was Europeans who first sailed and recorded the global geography. Prior to the European Renaissance most shorelines weren't even known to any culture. European maps from 1500s are pretty tight all things considered

Chinese have a term for westerns: "Gweilo" - means "ghost man" (among other things). Probably akin to Indians using "pale face". Things could be worse lol

1564:

CCQ5RbM.jpg

Interesting. Because if you see a wall map over here Asia is in the center of the map and North America would be considered the "Far East".

Reactions: SHUSource
The answer to everything except losing your home is , yes

Hard to understand why this concept is hard for people. For whatever reason, "Asian" is the preferred term over "Oriental". That's a pretty easy one to just accept and use. It might be stupid that we don't apply it to Indians (South Asians) and we do call Filipinos "Asian" -- but, again, it's a simple rule.

This has more to do with the evolution of language than anything.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
This clearly proves that he is no longer numbah won

Looks like the Michael Kay/Jerry Sandusky defenders are out in full force in this thread. No surprise RU Cheese is leading the way here. Surprised he took the time to step away from the PSU board to post. So sad.

Can't understand why people feel the need to hate on Francesca. Guy is on his farewell tour after crushing it for 30 years.

This has more to do with the evolution of language than anything.

PC isn't evolution - its a backwards decent into tribalism. Now you can barely say "boys and girls" anymore because its a "just a construct" and "gender oppressive". The more people get lost the more they want to pretzel language to re-engineer reality (and forcing others to conform of course).

ADVERTISEMENT