ADVERTISEMENT

Free Tuition/Room and Board still trumps the majority of NIL deals, especially with potential NYC salaries

sct1111

All American
Nov 30, 2014
With the rising cost of education, free 4-5 years of Rutgers education/room and board for out of staters is about a quarter of a million dollars. This is worth way more than the majority of NIL deals. Especially when you account for your potential for a nice $100k+ NYC salary.

Of course there is the exception of those high 6 figure and 7 figure deals for those 5 stars just looking for a huge payout who we aren't getting anyway.

The majority of D1 athletes are not going pro. And even for those who do it's not garunteed you're having a long fruitful career. Free college education at a good academic school is going to set you up for the rest of your life.

NIL deals worth $100k+ will be heavily taxed and after your eligibility is up and you don't go pro? Now what? What did you do with that NIL money? Did you invest it? Did you do well in school? Did you pick a major that is going to make you money for your future?

Unfortunately these kids see the bags of money in front of their faces and aren't thinking long term and the majority of these big time programs offering huge NIL deals know this. They don't care about the kids' future. They just want them in their team. They are being treated like pros and not student athletes. Your Alabama degree in gender studies isn't setting you up for your future.

This is where I think Rutgers can shine. We can attract those quality kids and those families who value education and see the long term value of a Big Ten education within 30 minutes of NYC. Rutgers sports should be advertising their student athlete graduate salaries. They should be career oriented, setting up connections for those high NYC salaries.

We may not be able to compete with the high 6 and 7 figure NILs but we can do the low 6 figure and 5 figure deals + offer the value of a potential for a career with a high salary. We can be in the forefront for teaching the kids how to manage their NIL money and their future careers, whether that be pro sports or something else.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Uh yah, I know. Did you read the entire post?
I was waiting for the movie.
Unfortunately I did read that long diatribe and you never tied two very separate things together in your tangent laden post. The connection of room and board followed by being near NYC is hysterical. Happy you got it allllllllll of that of your chest.

Reactions: newell138
TLDR: A free Rutgers Bachelors/Master's degree and a smaller NIL deal is worth more in the long term with the high NYC level salaries than a larger NIL deal from bigger programs who don't care how their players do in school.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
TLDR: A free Rutgers Bachelors/Master's degree and a smaller NIL deal is worth more in the long term with the high NYC level salaries than a larger NIL deal from bigger programs who don't care how their players do in school.
Oh so only Rutgers grads get hired in NYC. Seriously?? That what you believe?? I can tell you that it's not even close.

Reactions: Rutgers25

Oh so only Rutgers grads get hired in NYC. Seriously?? That what you believe?? I can tell you that it's not even close.
I’m with WB on this one. You walk into an NYC corporate office and you are going to see degree’s from Moscow, Thailand, Michigan, Rutgers, OSU, Temple, USC etc.,,
Everyone works in NYC.
I also hate to say- while some companies will look for RU grads, most are not giving a RU grad the nod over anyone else unless they earn it.
Niw, a smart grad will have used their time here to network and get the lay of the land plus, it really is a great education.,,

and the first part of the post was just silly. You get the room and board regardless of NIL. And that goes for other schools that are handing out 6&7 figure NIL’s

I was waiting for the movie.
Unfortunately I did read that long diatribe and you never tied two very separate things together in your tangent laden post. The connection of room and board followed by being near NYC is hysterical. Happy you got it alllllllll of that of your chest.
Uh that wasn't said in my post, nor do I believe that bruh.

We have an obvious advantage with our location in terms of internships/getting the student athletes involved and prepared to work with these big companies. These connections could be a huge.

With so many posters on this board willing to sell a kidney for NIL donations, we should be able to lure some top level talent.

Reactions: sct1111
Weren’t all these benefits available before NIL? I am pretty sure we had a tough time recruiting 5-star kids with that pitch before. Things have changed, it is not going to work now. We don’t have to like it, but we need to face hard truths.

Reactions: brgRC90
I’m with WB on this one. You walk into an NYC corporate office and you are going to see degree’s from Moscow, Thailand, Michigan, Rutgers, OSU, Temple, USC etc.,,
Everyone works in NYC.
I also hate to say- while some companies will look for RU grads, most are not giving a RU grad the nod over anyone else unless they earn it.
Niw, a smart grad will have used their time here to network and get the lay of the land plus, it really is a great education.,,

and the first part of the post was just silly. You get the room and board regardless of NIL. And that goes for other schools that are handing out 6&7 figure NIL’s
Room and board is expensive and getting more expensive, especially with the costs of rent going up astronomically.

Free housing in central NJ for 4-5 years is worth way more than f*cking Tuscaloosa, Alabama or College Station, Texas.

Room and board is expensive and getting more expensive, especially with the costs of rent going up astronomically.

Free housing in central NJ for 4-5 years is worth way more than f*cking Tuscaloosa, Alabama or College Station, Texas.
Yeah, scholarship athletes aren't looking at room and board costs at different Universities when it's all paid for.

Reactions: newell138

They aren't getting a 3 BR on the Hudson in JC...

Room and board and tuition has nothing to do with NIL. And having a dorm room at Rutgers isn't all that special. And I believe stipends for off campus housing after freshman year is standard across the country, but, I may be wrong...but if standard, you get a much better place in those places then you do in NJ...

Uh that wasn't said in my post, nor do I believe that bruh.

We have an obvious advantage with our location in terms of internships/getting the student athletes involved and prepared to work with these big companies. These connections could be a huge.
Could be? It has never been true before. Why now? Rutgers isn't know as a big financial/Wall Street type of undergraduate school. Your theory makes no sense at all.

Weren’t all these benefits available before NIL? I am pretty sure we had a tough time recruiting 5-star kids with that pitch before. Things have changed, it is not going to work now. We don’t have to like it, but we need to face hard truths.
I just don't think we've taken advantage of it as much as we can.

Let's face it. We're NOT outspending these other top level programs for NIL. We've never had in the past and never will in the future. The #1 advantage that we have over these other programs is our proximity to the city and very good academics.

I watched that video about Kyle Monangai and one of the first things that pop into my mind is THIS is the type of young man these companies want to hire. So let's get these student athletes internships with these companies.

Could be? It has never been true before. Why now? Rutgers isn't know as a big financial/Wall Street type of undergraduate school. Your theory makes no sense at all.
Who says it has to be wall street/financial?

screw the 6 figures offered from Tx, I was a Rutgers Dorm room!
We're now at the "bargaining" stage of grief (and some anger). Denial was last year. Now that it's obvious NIL IS happening and we don't have enough unscrupulous super-rich donors needed to buy a roster full of stars there is bargaining going on: you don't want money! Come here anyway! Soon will be depression and acceptance.

I just don't think we've taken advantage of it as much as we can.

Let's face it. We're NOT outspending these other top level programs for NIL. We've never had in the past and never will in the future. The #1 advantage that we have over these other programs is our proximity to the city and very good academics.

I watched that video about Kyle Monangai and one of the first things that pop into my mind is THIS is the type of young man these companies want to hire. So let's get these student athletes internships with these companies.
I have a feeling the coaches have tried every angle possible to get recruits to commit. But being close to New York probably doesn't get much. Being IN New York would be better but even that probably doesn't fly you very far.

They aren't getting a 3 BR on the Hudson in JC...

Room and board and tuition has nothing to do with NIL. And having a dorm room at Rutgers isn't all that special. And I believe stipends for off campus housing after freshman year is standard across the country, but, I may be wrong...but if standard, you get a much better place in those places then you do in NJ...
Have you been to the new Sojurner Truth apartments? The new apartments on Livingston? The players aren't living in the top floor of the Nicholas Dorm without air conditioning on Cook. They're living in nice apartments. The Sojurner Truth apartments that are within walking distance of the train station would conservatively go for $2500+ more for rent if it wasn't student housing.

Rent in Tuscaloosa is probably half of that.

Not the only high paying job in NYC.
Those other jobs don't make billionaires. Tell me all Rutgers grads in NYC that have supported Rutgers Athletics. You really are coming up short to support you view you posted.

Those other jobs don't make billionaires. Tell me all Rutgers grads in NYC that have supported Rutgers Athletics. You really are coming up short to support you view you posted.
Make billionaires? What?

Please tell me what RU alums in NYC that are billionaires not in the financial industry.
I'm talking about Rutgers Athletics and in this case football creating links for their student athletes to high paying careers in the city. Finance is one obvious one, then there's marketing, tech, software, pharmaceuticals, the list goes on and on.

Linking with these companies for internships can provide an opportunity for these student athletes to make 6 figures out of school. We have an obvious advantage being a 30 minute train ride to the city.

Where does "Rutgers billionaire alumns" come into this? What are you talking about?

Also the only Rutgers billionaire I know off the top of my head is Bernie Marcus who founded Home Depot 😂

Last edited:
Have you been to the new Sojurner Truth apartments? The new apartments on Livingston? The players aren't living in the top floor of the Nicholas Dorm without air conditioning on Cook. They're living in nice apartments. The Sojurner Truth apartments that are within walking distance of the train station would conservatively go for $2500+ more for rent if it wasn't student housing.

Rent in Tuscaloosa is probably half of that.
That is my point- if the monthly stipend for housing is equal for all colleges( I believe it is) the off campus housing you can get elsewhere would be much nicer.
Hey- I love Rutgers and yes, being close to NYC does help and it is a great education- we are all responding to your OP that made it sound like a equal trade off- there isn’t a trade off- the NIL has nothing to do with the education, location or cost. The same kid would have still been getting all of those.
mid you were to say that getting a NIL worth $50k plus our education and location is a better value than $75k NIL at WVU- then that makes much more sense.

That is my point- if the monthly stipend for housing is equal for all colleges( I believe it is) the off campus housing you can get elsewhere would be much nicer.
Hey- I love Rutgers and yes, being close to NYC does help and it is a great education- we are all responding to your OP that made it sound like a equal trade off- there isn’t a trade off- the NIL has nothing to do with the education, location or cost. The same kid would have still been getting all of those.
mid you were to say that getting a NIL worth $50k plus our education and location is a better value than $75k NIL at WVU- then that makes much more sense.
Well yeah there's a reason I used on-campus housing as an example which is completely covered by a full athletic scholarship. They're not putting the football team in old crappy dorms. The Livingston and Sojurner Truth apartments are quasi-luxury apartments. If they were off campus apartments, the rents would be at a premium and they can live there for free.

To take it to the extreme end of my argument a full scholarship to Stanford without any NIL deal is worth more than any NIL deal even the 7 figure ones that schools like TA&M can provide when you take into account the cost of full tuition/room and board at Stanford and your earning potential as a Stanford graduate.

We're not Stanford obviously but we do have NYC and it's high salaries on our doorstep.

Well yeah there's a reason I used on-campus housing as an example which is completely covered by a full athletic scholarship. They're not putting the football team in old crappy dorms. The Livingston and Sojurner Truth apartments are quasi-luxury apartments. If they were off campus apartments, the rents would be at a premium and they can live there for free.
You do not get to just select an off campus apartment and live there for free. You get a monthly stipend. So- if you get $1200 or 1500 a month, you stay in that limit or the rest is out of pocket.

With the rising cost of education, free 4-5 years of Rutgers education/room and board for out of staters is about a quarter of a million dollars. This is worth way more than the majority of NIL deals. Especially when you account for your potential for a nice $100k+ NYC salary.

Of course there is the exception of those high 6 figure and 7 figure deals for those 5 stars just looking for a huge payout who we aren't getting anyway.

The majority of D1 athletes are not going pro. And even for those who do it's not garunteed you're having a long fruitful career. Free college education at a good academic school is going to set you up for the rest of your life.

NIL deals worth $100k+ will be heavily taxed and after your eligibility is up and you don't go pro? Now what? What did you do with that NIL money? Did you invest it? Did you do well in school? Did you pick a major that is going to make you money for your future?

Unfortunately these kids see the bags of money in front of their faces and aren't thinking long term and the majority of these big time programs offering huge NIL deals know this. They don't care about the kids' future. They just want them in their team. They are being treated like pros and not student athletes. Your Alabama degree in gender studies isn't setting you up for your future.

This is where I think Rutgers can shine. We can attract those quality kids and those families who value education and see the long term value of a Big Ten education within 30 minutes of NYC. Rutgers sports should be advertising their student athlete graduate salaries. They should be career oriented, setting up connections for those high NYC salaries.

We may not be able to compete with the high 6 and 7 figure NILs but we can do the low 6 figure and 5 figure deals + offer the value of a potential for a career with a high salary. We can be in the forefront for teaching the kids how to manage their NIL money and their future careers, whether that be pro sports or something else.
Not the best example of the value of a Rutgers education.

If it is free what difference does it make? How is someone better off if he got more more expense housing for free. He is only better off if he gets better housing for free.

You really need to go back and rethink your entire argument, because it is complete nonsense.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
If it is free what difference does it make? How is someone better off if he got more more expense housing for free. He is only better off if he gets better housing for free.

You really need to go back and rethink your entire argument, because it is complete nonsense.
It’s like the commercial where the little sister gets a lollipop and has a big smile until they hand her brother a much larger lollipop

housing and facilities have always been a part of a decision way before NIL.
no one is adding to to the NIL equation.
I sort of understand where the OP was going but certainly presented it the wrong way.

They can use the NIL money to invest in a lower tier English soccer team. I hear they have one called Ryan Reynolds for sale.

The English have weird names for soccer teams.

rough thread…lol. I can assure OP that nobody in nyc cares if you 1) went to RU and 2) if you played for RU football (other than a maybe, “oh really, that’s cool”)

Why is the cost of housing in NJ more than Alabama?

The room and board part of my argument is really a besides the fact, but it's an example of it being part of the total value of a full ride to Rutgers. It's an afterthought but something that most people don't think about.

I still think the NYC connection has been mostly untapped. We have tons of alumni in NYC. Better connections need to be made and it can be a selling point for our athletics.

Last edited:
Why is the cost of housing in NJ more than Alabama?

The room and board part of my argument is really a besides the fact, but it's an example of it being part of the total value of a full ride to Rutgers.
Is that a serious question?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT