ADVERTISEMENT

Free Tuition/Room and Board still trumps the majority of NIL deals, especially with potential NYC salaries

rough thread…lol. I can assure OP that nobody in nyc cares if you 1) went to RU and 2) if you played for RU football (other than a maybe, “oh really, that’s cool”)
That's the point, I'm saying we can change that perception. If we expose the Kyle Monangai's and the Myles Johnson's to these high paying companies it will be mutually beneficial. It just hasn't been done at least not nearly to the extent that is possible. A high paying career is worth more than the majority of NILs.

That's the point, I'm saying we can change that perception. If we expose the Kyle Monangai's and the Myles Johnson's to these high paying companies it will be mutually beneficial. It just hasn't been done at least not nearly to the extent that is possible. A high paying career is worth more than the majority of NILs.
Until recently, well, at least during GS 1.0 - he didn't allow his football players to take internships. But, I do know that they do now.

But here is the deal, even with Football players that were successful both on the field and in the classroom at RU...You will usually be given a shot in a sales role in the vertical of your choice- financial, IT, etc...but, you will be starting at the bottom with everyone else with a make it or break it.
Now- if you are someone with a very successful NFL career, that is different but the guys that get a few years in or a few camps- it is a oh, great, cool- yeah, saw you play, are you interested in our Junior Sales position or SDR role?

The real benefit of Rutgers Athletics is that we really do have some great Academic Advisors like Scott Walker. And if you want to take advantage of an education- they are great in supporting you and guiding you through it. But let's be honest- a good many kids getting these "big" NIL deals, are not looking for the education first.
But if you do care about your education- then a $30-50k NIL deal at Rutgers may be worth more than a $60-100k deal at WVU. And maybe that is the actual point you are trying to make.

Reactions: sct1111
I sort of understand where the OP was going but certainly presented it the wrong way.
I dunno.. I got where he was going fairly quickly but others seemed to have jumped all over him for no reason.

All the OP is is giving another way to think about NIL and schollie offers so that a recruiter can inform/sell the idea he expresses to recruits and their families.

Of course, it would work better with local recruits if it were to work at all. And, really, NIL money is for those who should end up in the NFL.. where their dreams of a pro football career are realistic.. tangible. A degree is certainly still valuable.. some more than others.. but for the NFL-bound I think that is less important than going somewhere that might help your DRAFT potential. And there is a high degree of correlation between the monied big-name programs, NIL, and the NFL Draft.

OP had a nice idea.. but it will best be applied to more marginal athletes for whom NIL money will be scarce no matter where they choose to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: sct1111
ADVERTISEMENT