ADVERTISEMENT

Freezing rain advisory for Weds (1/5) morning for most

Status
Not open for further replies.
name one where they were sued for not salting/plowing the streets in response to inclement weather...just because you can sue the city doesn't mean you can sue for everything.
Isn't maintaining the roads like potholes a responsibility of the city and state. Yet you can sue and win damages from both.
And the question I initially answered was a about a city deliberating refusing to maintaining roads to save money. Not about a unknown weather system.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that the last minute decision was due to a lot of teachers saying that they couldn’t get to work on time. And delayed opening wouldnt have made sense because they are half days this week.
In the message, they specifically singled out that it was the police department that made the call. It was the right call but should have called it sooner.

Reactions: Phi_1055
Isn't maintaining the roads like potholes a responsibility of the city and state. Yet you can sue and win damages from both.
And the question I initially answered was a about a city deliberating refusing to maintaining roads to save money. Not about a unknown weather system.

I'm concerned that you don't understand the difference between potholes and ice, and how they are not analogous.

I'm concerned that you don't understand the difference between potholes and ice, and how they are not analogous.
Pot holes are not deliberate road conditions but happen. Yet they still pay Refusing to salt, brine or close a road to save money is a deliberate mismanagement.

Pot holes are not deliberate road conditions but happen. Yet they still pay Refusing to salt, brine or close a road to save money is a deliberate mismanagement.

So you don't understand. I'll lay it out for you.

Drivers are 100% responsible for the safe operation of their vehicles. A pothole is actionable (damages are generally limited to specific vehicle damage) because they don't happen all at once and are just outside the envelope of a driver's obligation to operated their vehicle in a safe manner.

Ice, on the other hand, represents a condition wherein the driver should have been aware of the conditions and, from an abundance of caution, chosen not to operate the vehicle because those conditions are inherently unsafe.

In short, potholes and ice are not the same thing. If you go out and peruse the FAQs on the web sites of the large ambulance chasing law firms, they will tell you quite explicitly that you do not stand a good chance of winning any suit brought about with regard to icy driving conditions. You choose to drive in an ice storm, the outcome is your responsibility, period.

Also, just noting for the record that you have been unable to cite a single case wherein a vehicle operator was successful in obtaining damages pursuant to ice and loss of control.

Now, if you go out and subsequently get hit by a city-owned vehicle, that's a different story.

So you don't understand.
Actually you don't understand. You keep ignoring my specific answer to specific situation. You keep bringing up generic crap. I guess you never heard of negligence.
And BTW I was hit by a city vehicle this past summer riding my bike. Sustained multiple broken bones.

In the message, they specifically singled out that it was the police department that made the call. It was the right call but should have called it sooner.
I know. I don’t want to derail this thread. You and I live in the same town and I sub in the schools. The superintendent makes the decision. I’m sure he took advice from the PD but I also know that they barely have enough teachers and subs to operate this week. I was planning to take this week off - just to relax - but they contacted me half a dozen times asking me if i could come in for at least day or two, and I agreed. If a bunch of teachers couldn’t make it in on time today it would have been chaos. Due to the high cost of living in our area we have many teachers with long commutes.

Reactions: jtung230
Actually you don't understand. You keep ignoring my specific answer to specific situation. You keep bringing up generic crap. I guess you never heard of negligence.
And BTW I was hit by a city vehicle this past summer riding my bike. Sustained multiple broken bones.

Your understanding of legal concepts isn't aligned with reality. So I'm done with you.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
I know. I don’t want to derail this thread. You and I live in the same town and I sub in the schools. The superintendent makes the decision. I’m sure he took advice from the PD but I also know that they barely have enough teachers and subs to operate this week. I was planning to take this week off - just to relax - but they contacted me half a dozen times asking me if i could come in for at least day or two, and I agreed. If a bunch of teachers couldn’t make it in on time today it would have been chaos. Due to the high cost of living in our area we have many teachers with long commutes.
You are in high demand these days. You’ve probably had one of my kids in your class before.

LOL! Funny how clueless you are. It's not about the event, it's about you. So many people troll you on this board because of your unquenchable need for attention seeking and how sensitive you are.

I assume you would understand this simple fact by now. Too bad, keep up with your delusional late night rants. Try getting some sleep, you seem more cranky than normal.
😂
i·ro·ny
/ˈīrənē/

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT