ADVERTISEMENT

Friday 9am-Coach Goodale & Ashnault podcast with Willie Saylor

What did we miss? Been on work calls since 7:30 am.
Cornell was on the 2020 schedule and Goodale is working with Koll to move it to 2021.

NCAA wrestling championships could be in April.

Ashnault running into Shane Griffith down the shore right after he found out about Stanford's wrestling program being cut.

Uncertainty about wrestling programs.

Gap years will increase and you may see them here.

May have B1G double duals or tris Fri and Sun at one location.

In favor of 1 semester of competitions. Should've been that way a long time ago. College coaches want 2nd semester only.

And a lot of good stuff from them and Ray Jaz about building a program.

Cornell was on the 2020 schedule and Goodale is working with Koll to move it to 2021.

NCAA wrestling championships could be in April.

Ashnault running into Shane Griffith down the shore right after he found out about Stanford's wrestling program being cut.

Uncertainty about wrestling programs.

Gap years will increase and you may see them here.

May have B1G double duals or tris Fri and Sun at one location.

In favor of 1 semester of competitions. Should've been that way a long time ago. College coaches want 2nd semester only.

And a lot of good stuff from them and Ray Jaz about building a program.

Ran into Shane at the shore... hmm... (one can hope)

Now chatting about Pat Downey vs Dave Taylor. Hate to say it, but I think this could be a bloodbath. Taylor is not the kind of cat I would go pissing off.

Reactions: Leonard23
Leonard23- thanks for the info. Going to listen to the replay. These guys are great and often have super guests.

Reactions: Leonard23
I kind of wonder how much behind the scenes stuff Ashnault knows about. The day Rivera announced Rutgers, Ashnault hinted at it at the end of the broadcast. The week prior, he was wearing a CBA hat. I know his brother coaches there but it seemed like crazy timing.

This week he made mention of Jim Mullen and Alex Almeyda wrestling in Indiana, two guys who a lot of us believe are/will be RU targets.

I'm sure Ashnault is privileged to a lot of inside information, within the rules. Goodale seems to be grooming him to be a coach after his competitive days are over.

I was disappointed not to see Willy on there. Flo hasn't been the same since he left either.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Can you give me a link. Had a doctor appointment this morning so I missed it.

I kind of wonder how much behind the scenes stuff Ashnault knows about. The day Rivera announced Rutgers, Ashnault hinted at it at the end of the broadcast. The week prior, he was wearing a CBA hat. I know his brother coaches there but it seemed like crazy timing.

This week he made mention of Jim Mullen and Alex Almeyda wrestling in Indiana, two guys who a lot of us believe are/will be RU targets.
I'm sure he knows a lot as he's friends with a lot of coaches and wrestlers, but he frequently wears CBA gear and ran/runs practices down there, so don't use that as an indicator of anything.

I'm sure he knows a lot as he's friends with a lot of coaches and wrestlers, but he frequently wears CBA gear and ran/runs practices down there, so don't use that as an indicator of anything.

Ashnault was talking about Jimmy Mullen today the NJ 285 champ as a freshman, he said he was impressed by his technique, especially the ankle pick that Anthony often uses. An hour later at the King of the Ring duals in Indiana, Mullen uses an ankle pick with 5 seconds of the first period, lol. He then pinned the kid off a fireman's carry. Alex Almeyda, his brother Danny and Tronzano (6th in the state for St Joes, 220) all wrestling for team Shutt. All 4 from St Joes, rest out of state kids.

Coach G said he couldn't comment on them of course. Mullen is the next K'yonte Hamilton. Actually ahead of Hamilton at the same age. Mullen reminds me of Tony Siragusa, great Defensive Lineman and heavyweight wrestler, and Mullen ahead of Siragusa at same age as well.

Edit-in his next match Mullen also hits an ankle pick in the first 5 secs, and gets another quick pin.

Last edited:
Ashnault was talking about Jimmy Mullen today the NJ 285 champ as a freshman, he said he was impressed by his technique, especially the ankle pick that Anthony often uses. An hour later at the King of the Ring duals in Indiana, Mullen uses an ankle pick with 5 seconds of the first period, lol. He then pinned the kid off a fireman's carry. Alex Almeyda, his brother Danny and Tronzano (6th in the state for St Joes, 220) all wrestling for team Shutt. All 4 from St Joes, rest out of state kids.

Coach G said he couldn't comment on them of course. Mullen is the next K'yonte Hamilton. Actually ahead of Hamilton at the same age. Mullen reminds me of Tony Siragusa, great Defensive Lineman and heavyweight wrestler, and Mullen ahead of Siragusa at same age as well.

Edit-in his next match Mullen also hits an ankle pick in the first 5 secs, and gets another quick pin.

Mullen is a tremendous athlete and we need to do whatever it takes to get him to RU, whether it's for football, wrestling, or both.

Please explain what this means? Redshirt years in the middle instead of at beginning of career?

A Gap year is not enrolling in College for incoming Freshman. So a 2020 HS graduate does not enroll at RU next year, he comes the following year. This helps because their 5 year clock does not start till the following year when they enroll. The reason you might see it more this year...say RU had plans to redshirt an incoming Freshman and it is either a super short season or no season...this wrestlers clock has started. If they do not enroll(just train somewhere, like SKWC) they come the following year, can redshirt if needed.

Nic Colucci took a gap year last year. He wrestled 220 his last season in high school ( 2018-19 season). Will be interesting to see what weight he comes in at when the season starts (2020-21), which will be his true freshman year. And with his brother Chris, plus Esposito, and the Juco champion transfer all battling it out for the starting spot, I would expect Nick to red shirt.

Reactions: R U Crazy
Nic Colucci took a gap year last year. He wrestled 220 his last season in high school ( 2018-19 season). Will be interesting to see what weight he comes in at when the season starts (2020-21), which will be his true freshman year. And with his brother Chris, plus Esposito, and the Juco champion transfer all battling it out for the starting spot, I would expect Nick to red shirt.
You also have Estevez and Damerjian (197?) coming in as true freshman. Estevez took 4th in the state at heavyweight and Damerjian took 4th at 220. Epperly also has a big frame but I think we all expect him to go 197. I don’t really see any way all 3 of them are on the roster when the season starts considering we have to trim the roster by at least 8.

Please explain what this means? Redshirt years in the middle instead of at beginning of career?

A Gap year is not enrolling in College for incoming Freshman. So a 2020 HS graduate does not enroll at RU next year, he comes the following year. This helps because their 5 year clock does not start till the following year when they enroll. The reason you might see it more this year...say RU had plans to redshirt an incoming Freshman and it is either a super short season or no season...this wrestlers clock has started. If they do not enroll(just train somewhere, like SKWC) they come the following year, can redshirt if needed.
To add to this, it's what Ivies like Cornell do when they have their kids go to FLWC, and it's what Kolodzik did prior to enrolling at Princeton.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Thanks gentlemen. I ended up listening to the podcast this morning and when gap year came up it clicked for me "oh, what Cornell does".
I love the discussed point (apparently desired by coaches) of pushing back the season, permanently, to be a full spring sport. As another aside, just gotta love Ashnault and really that family and how they love and have supported RU. Was cool to hear him and Jazz (?) talk about SP wrestling when they were younger, competition, summer camping, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT