ADVERTISEMENT

Friend opined that RU was fortunate

RUBigFrank

All Conference
Jun 9, 2003
Tinton Falls NJ
Friend opined that RU was fortunate to get the invite to the BigTen over UCONN

Never thought UConn was ever a serious thought by Delaney or members

All about football with TV sets, alumni networks and fertile recruiting areas.

Thoughts on a slow day?

We were lucky that the economics of expansion favored us over other programs, but i don't ever recall uconn being a real contender for an expansion into the big ten.

It is fair to say we're didn't earn it or deserve it, but right place and right time worked to our advantage.

UConn was never considered or vetted...nor even connected to a B1G state....it took years of being on an unofficial waiting list and lots of relationship building for us to finally get our invite and a long time vetting by a Chicago research firm to show that only Texas or ND brought more value than us until Nebby called we were almost team 12 to the B1G !! I don't know where UConn came up as a candidate?? We've been considered since the late 80s early 90s...and worked hard to get up to snuff..

We were lucky that the economics of expansion favored us over other programs, but i don't ever recall uconn being a real contender for an expansion into the big ten.

It is fair to say we're didn't earn it or deserve it, but right place and right time worked to our advantage.
I do think Rutgers earned it with the recent success from 2005 to the time of acceptance. Rutgers was always in the back of the minds of the B1G. They just need a good reason to pull the trigger. Winning, expansion of conference and new sources of revenue all favored Rutgers. We checked all the boxes at the time.

Part of UConn’s problem is they continue to misspell Big Jim’s last name in all their correspondence with him.

He HATES that.

Reactions: 17Q66 and RUnTeX
It’s awsome that we are in this conference. I have loved visiting Michigan Ohio State Michigan State Wisconsin Maryland Penn State Nebraska and look forward to heading to Chicago for Northwestern. We are in the conference because of TV sets in NJ and NYC and the $$$ it brings. While nice but Schiano making us a respectable team did not matter. Pernetti should get 0 credit for us being in this conference he doomed us by hiring Flood and not fighting for a bigger salary for the head coach of course this is just my opinion.

Reactions: Plum Street
Maybe he meant stub instead of snub....as in Freddy G stubbed his toe while walking over to pick up the phone when the BE called with the invite.

got ya. It happen twice. in the 1970's and again in the 1980's.

oh well... it all worked it in the end.

Your friend is clueless. Yukon failed the first, most basic requirement to join the Big 10: they aren't a member of the AAU. Application rejected, dismissed. See ya! Help yourself to some mints on the way out of the building.

The reasons why Rutgers ended up in the Big Ten are many.

Here is the real reasons, like em or not, facts are facts:

Penn State wanted the Big Ten to add schools that they could just drive to for years. They wanted Rutgers, Pitt and Cuse, all three or at least one of those three. Cuse dropped out of the AAU and out of consideration. Pitt didn't offer anything to the BTN that PSU already did, so the choice was clear.

BTN wanted Rutgers since New Jersey is part of the NYC TV Demo, the largest in the US.

OSU and Michigan pushed for Rutgers once they saw the numbers.

Many of the Big Ten schools wanted more exposure in the Northeast where many of their alumni are located, playing in NJ does that.

Rutgers is an AAU member and after the merger with UMDNJ and top 25 research university which made the Big Ten Presidents who are the ones who sign off on new members very happy.

The Big Ten was talking to Rutgers (keeping them in the Loop) since at least 2010.

Yer friend must be an alumnus of UConn. That fanbase is the only one with the dillusional view
that they were robbed of the B1G invite.
What a Joke!

Reactions: thegock and RURM85
Friend opined that RU was fortunate to get the invite to the BigTen over UCONN

Never thought UConn was ever a serious thought by Delaney or members

All about football with TV sets, alumni networks and fertile recruiting areas.

Thoughts on a slow day?

Your friend is very uninformed, but there are a lot of those types out there.

The AAU membership criterion doesn't appear to be as rigid given that Nebraska is no longer part of the AAU, having been removed in 2011. When they were invited to the B1G and they accepted in 2010, they were technically still an AAU member. But maintaining AAU membership obviously isn't in the criteria or Nebraska would have had to immediately turn around and leave the B1G before they even started competing as a member of the conference in 2011.

Penn State wanted the Big Ten to add schools that they could just drive to for years. They wanted Rutgers, Pitt and Cuse, all three or at least one of those three. Cuse dropped out of the AAU and out of consideration. Pitt didn't offer anything to the BTN that PSU already did, so the choice was clear.

BTN wanted Rutgers since New Jersey is part of the NYC TV Demo, the largest in the US.

Many of the Big Ten schools wanted more exposure in the Northeast where many of their alumni are located, playing in NJ does that.

Rutgers is an AAU member and after the merger with UMDNJ and top 25 research university which made the Big Ten Presidents who are the ones who sign off on new members very happy.

The Big Ten was talking to Rutgers (keeping them in the Loop) since at least 2010.
There have been several articles stating the B1G interest in Rutgers going as far back to the early 90s. This is just one of them written a few years ago reminding people of when the B1G begin expressing interest in Rutgers

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/no_matter_that_my_early_90s_ad.html

There have been several articles stating the B1G interest in Rutgers going as far back to the early 90s. This is just one of them written a few years ago reminding people of when the B1G begin expressing interest in Rutgers

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/no_matter_that_my_early_90s_ad.html

Correct, but things didn't get serious until 2010.

Rutgers tried to get into the Big Ten in the last 1980's (1989) for the 1st time.

Lots of details people have forgotten over the years in this article:

https://www.onthebanks.com/2010/03/08/as-the-big-east-turns/

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Tell your friend that yes Rutgers was fortunate to get in. They were fortunate to get in over every team that did not get in including UCONN. However that does not mean UCONN was ever considered.

We’re fortunate that our braintrust built a stadium in a beautiful on campus location and not on an airfield 45 mins from our campus, and that we showed that when we are good we can have huge crowds, not struggle to get 25k every week.

The AAU membership criterion doesn't appear to be as rigid given that Nebraska is no longer part of the AAU, having been removed in 2011. When they were invited to the B1G and they accepted in 2010, they were technically still an AAU member. But maintaining AAU membership obviously isn't in the criteria or Nebraska would have had to immediately turn around and leave the B1G before they even started competing as a member of the conference in 2011.

They lost AAU membership because the type of research Nebraska is famous for was no longer a focus for the AAU. However, for reasons, The University of Nebraska Medical Center isn't considered part of Nebraska campus that is part of the Big Ten, if it was they would still be part of the AAU. UNMC considered its own campus like Rutgers-Newark. Unlike RBHS which is also its own campus but is considered part of Rutgers-New Brunswick (even the parts in Newark and South Jersey). UNMC is actually part of the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium at least.

So if they had the same set-up as Rutgers, they would still very much be part of the AAU.

It’s awsome that we are in this conference. I have loved visiting Michigan Ohio State Michigan State Wisconsin Maryland Penn State Nebraska and look forward to heading to Chicago for Northwestern. We are in the conference because of TV sets in NJ and NYC and the $$$ it brings. While nice but Schiano making us a respectable team did not matter. Pernetti should get 0 credit for us being in this conference he doomed us by hiring Flood and not fighting for a bigger salary for the head coach of course this is just my opinion.
Disagree....I think Pernetti worked hard to close this opportunity.

UConn:
Member of the AAU....NO
Contiguous State to a B1G member......NO
On campus stadium........NO
perfect candidate to NOT be a B1G member!
But they have a great womens bball program!:sunglasses: Surely that will carry them through during the next round of expansion.

Reactions: knightfan7
But they have a great womens bball program!:sunglasses: Surely that will carry them through during the next round of expansion.

The AAC didn't want them.. heck even the Big East said no thanks.

But their WBB is pretty elite. I will give them that.

As I was told it came down between Rutgers and Fordham, but the Yankees would not guarantee that Fordham would have scheduling priority for the stadium over the baseball team if they happened to make the playoffs and that killed the deal for the B1G.

Reactions: KT8813 and MADHAT1

These are all true. As a University, we fit the image they were looking for. And our location was key for driving exposure into the northeast for the other schools. Most importantly though was our perceived ability to get the B1G network onto more cable systems (which meant more $ for the other schools in the conference). All that said, we are lucky the invite came when it did. If the decision came today, I don't know if it would be the same outcome. Our program has been a dumpster fire both on and off the field since 2014, and that certainly hasn't helped our national perception. The tv contract landscape has also begun to change dramatically as well, and I don't know that the ability to strengthen a conference networks position with the cable providers is the end-all, be-all today (and going-forward) that it was in 2014. It will be interesting to watch how the future tv negotiations play out, and how that impacts how much weight is placed on a school's ability to move that needle vs. all the other factors that we don't place as strongly in when the next round of realignment takes place.

We invested significantly in the years leading up to the invitation in order to put us in a favorable position. The product on the field was better when the invited was extended as we were competing for a league championship. From that perspective we deserved the bid at the time over UConn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT