ADVERTISEMENT

Friendship Cup on the Line as No. 10 Men’s Lacrosse Hosts No. 11 Penn State

Thank God our 0 for 10 faceoff guy didn't come back to bite us in the ass. Rest of team great job.
Face off guy WTF!

11-8 final. That 4th qtr was scary. Edelmann had a few huge saves. Great win. They've got to win that last game now to get into the conference tourney

Brecht, please for the love of God recruit a FO guy. That said that was a grown man win tonight. Season comes down to OSU in the Shoe next week. Win that and we are in.

Yay for the win! Awesome job. RU really had this game in hand until that horn. Idk what happened there but that should never happen again on many levels. RU had a lot more shots on goal & that kept us winning but those face offs were killing us. What’s the story with face offs? Did we lose a 1st string, bad day, just don’t have one or hard to recruit one? I’m relatively new to this sport.

Go RU!
Diane

I'm ecstatic with the W... it's great that RU controls their own destiny and can finish 3rd with a win against a team they'll be favored against.

I'm not too familiar with the particulars since I largely follow from afar, but with a top 10 ranking, what are the odds of making the NCAAs assuming a win over OSU (regardless of B1G tourney results)?

Thank god we held tough, because we nearly $hit the bed losing 9 out 10 faceoffs in the second half. That was inexcusable. That did us in against Johns Hopkins. Doesn't Brecht have anyone who's decent at faceoffs?

READ MORE HERE

I COVERED THE GAME

Great article, Chris. You are doing a really nice job. Just a heads up. The empty netter wasn't really odd. They were down 2 with 2 minutes left and gambled after the timeout. They doubled the ball and took their goalie out of the cage to cover someone, leaving it open. Once Mazzone split the double, it was an easy score. It's a common strategy to try and get the ball back if you are losing at the end of the game.

Thanks for all of your coverage. You're doing a great job.

Thank god we held tough, because we nearly $hit the bed losing 9 out 10 faceoffs in the second half. That was inexcusable. That did us in against Johns Hopkins. Doesn't Brecht have anyone who's decent at faceoffs?

JoJo is doing very well facing off. We were winning all kinds of faceoffs against their number 1. The brought in their back up and we didn't have an answer. Mostly becuase their isn't a lot of film on him. It's like a pitcher no one has ever seen.

Reactions: rondi
JoJo is doing very well facing off. We were winning all kinds of faceoffs against their number 1. The brought in their back up and we didn't have an answer. Mostly becuase their isn't film on him. It's like a pitcher no one has ever seen.
Thanks for the clarification, because watching us lose faceoff after faceoff was beyond nerve-wracking.

So we can have nice things..

Always great to beat PSU in anything

Great game. Great win against that piece of crap school.

Our defense was really impressive. We forced a lot of turnovers and Max was so solid.

Great win. Let’s beat OSU and win whatever we need in the B1G tournament to get to the NCAAs. After the last two years, these seniors deserve to go out playing and winning big games!

OK that's starting to get embarrassing with the horn. We get a delay of game penalty heads need to roll. RIP the fvcking plug out for pete's sake.

On top of that, the horn didn't sound at the end of the 3rd when the question was whether the goal was scored in time.

Reactions: koleszar
I drove down last night and saw the game. I'd be interested to see what the attendance was, because it seemed like more people than I usually see when I watch on TV. But the crowd was 40% Penn State fans, and virtually no RU students.

PSU's top FOGO had a hammy so bad he was limping off the field about as fast as an octogenarian with a walker, but RU had no answer for his replacement. Their goalie had 1 amazing save early in the 1st and was solid all night. Good goaltending all around. RU was the better all around team but the faceoff issue kept the game close.

Oh, and at last a beautiful evening to catch a game.

I drove down last night and saw the game. I'd be interested to see what the attendance was, because it seemed like more people than I usually see when I watch on TV. But the crowd was 40% Penn State fans, and virtually no RU students.

PSU's top FOGO had a hammy so bad he was limping off the field about as fast as an octogenarian with a walker, but RU had no answer for his replacement. Their goalie had 1 amazing save early in the 1st and was solid all night. Good goaltending all around. RU was the better all around team but the faceoff issue kept the game close.

Oh, and at last a beautiful evening to catch a game.

VIRTUALLY NO STUDENTS.......RU has to do a better job here. No buzz on campus, no marketing of the game. Like Ash or Pike, get Brecht out to the frats/dorms/dining hall. Set up 2/3 lax guys, in jerseys, with a highlight tape in the dining halls on Friday lunch. many college kids have never been to a lax game, or even know about the game. Need to grass roots it in the dorms. Beautiful day, plenty of time to have a student tailgate, bring out the Knightwagon for meal swipes-buy them free pizza, set up designated student buses before and after from each campus. No reason lax games can't become an EVENT in the spring......unless Student Life office would decide too much fun was happening and shut it down....like football

Crowd mostly lax people, families, youth kids. We brought 50+ from our towns HS team. MUST get the students out there!!!

VIRTUALLY NO STUDENTS..

Crowd mostly lax people, families, youth kids. We brought 50+ from our towns HS team. MUST get the students out there!!!

I'm surprised there isn't a frat turnout. The B1G site said attendance was 3400. I was figuring close to 4k.

I'm surprised there isn't a frat turnout. The B1G site said attendance was 3400. I was figuring close to 4k.

I was at the Cuse game. Announced attendance was over 5,000. I would say more people at the Penn State game. I would have said at least 6500. Penn State brought a lot of fans too

Why would you expect a frat turnout??? Most kids haven't played lax or been to HS lax games. They simply don't know anything about the game. No marketing or publicity of the games. Several sororities scheduled their weekly ( mandatory ) chapter meeting on Sunday nights. Athletics needs to reach out to them WAAAAY before the game to remedy that. Another sorority held an all day regional event at their chapter house. Several frats had formals on Saturday night, so much planning for that, not thinking about a lax game. RU needs to do so much more if they expect college kids to just start showing up.

Why would you expect a frat turnout??? Most kids haven't played lax or been to HS lax games. They simply don't know anything about the game. No marketing or publicity of the games. Several sororities scheduled their weekly ( mandatory ) chapter meeting on Sunday nights. Athletics needs to reach out to them WAAAAY before the game to remedy that. Another sorority held an all day regional event at their chapter house. Several frats had formals on Saturday night, so much planning for that, not thinking about a lax game. RU needs to do so much more if they expect college kids to just start showing up.

I feel like more people know about Lax then you are giving them credit for (especially in the frat world).

Reactions: mdk01
I feel like more people know about Lax then you are giving them credit for (especially in the frat world).

I was there. I bought 50 tickets for families in my town. My wife was there. I brought neighbors too. My son and probably 20 HS teammates were there. The local lax community was there....but not the students.

People know about it. Maybe a few guys in each frat played HS lax. Other than that, it's "not a thing" on campus. No reason for it not to be. My RU daughter was there with some roommates. One of them dates a player. Two of them are in sororities. None of their 200+ other sorority sisters went too the game. I am an advisor to a fraternity. I told them I would pay for a DJ to entice them to have a tailgate.....too wiped out from formal the night before.

Bottom line......let's have suggestions to "make it a thing" and get more students to the games. For you guys above here, lmk where all the frat guys were last night

I listed several above that would be relatively easy for RU to put into effect

Reactions: rondi
Crowd looked great on tv. Our attendance has to be in the top 10 nationally.

I thought it was a very good crowd for a Lax game. You have to remember that Lax is a niche sport much like wrestling. So to get a crowd like last night you have to be happy.

ADVERTISEMENT