ADVERTISEMENT

Friendship Cup on the Line as No. 10 Men’s Lacrosse Hosts No. 11 Penn State

Up 1 spot to #9 in the Inside Lacrosse poll. Yale #1, Duke #2, Maryland #3.

Great article, Chris. You are doing a really nice job. Just a heads up. The empty netter wasn't really odd. They were down 2 with 2 minutes left and gambled after the timeout. They doubled the ball and took their goalie out of the cage to cover someone, leaving it open. Once Mazzone split the double, it was an easy score. It's a common strategy to try and get the ball back if you are losing at the end of the game.

Thanks for all of your coverage. You're doing a great job.

Appreciate the help. Not 100% used to lax. Just started getting into a little bit once I became a student at RU (graduated in 2016). My town doesn't have lacrosse and only played once when I was kid.

I noticed they were double-teaming the ball. My guess was trying to get the ball, gain possession, and then score quickly.

Guess I'm used to watching the NHL where they bring an extra attacker and take out the goalie...but RU had the ball after the timeout so I was confused.

Thanks!

I really love the sport. Played LAX in gym at East Brunswick HS. Following this Rutgers team is fun. I go to 4 games or more each year, and I live and die with our team. We have a huge tailgate once a year. This year it was against Syracuse and everyone I bring really enjoys the game.

As Cali said, we play such a cool, fast paced, aggressive style it is fun to watch. And it is awesome to beat the blue bloods like Hopkins and Syracuse.

Upon leaving yesterday’s game, I told my buddy who still plays LAX at the age of 60, that if we can just have a season like the 2006 football season, I think our attendance could double overnight. Maybe we go on a run and win our next 3 games!!

What schools do you consider have a high attendance of students? Please show the data. I see no difference in student turnout at RU games than I do at Hopkins or Maryland. Loyola is the only school I have seen that seems to have an unusual number of students at games.

What schools do you consider have a high attendance of students? Please show the data. I see no difference in student turnout at RU games than I do at Hopkins or Maryland. Loyola is the only school I have seen that seems to have an unusual number of students at games.

I don't believe they publish stats on student attendance but I see more students at Syracuse, Notre Dame, Duke and Virginia on television. Beyond that, long ago in a galaxy far, far away I can confirm there were more students at a road game I played at UNC.

The NCAA doesn't keep records on student section attendance. However, Maryland led the nation last year in overall and average per game attendance. They averaged 4,719 fans per game while Rutgers averaged 1,800. Every ugrad on campus has only seen Finals Fours and Big Ten championships during their time there. With those numbers and Maryland's generations of lacrosse success, why wouldn't there be more students in Maryland's section? As for Hopkins, lacrosse is literally the only thing for their students.

I don't know, why wouldn't there? I have been to games there. And Rutgers. They don't have much more student interest. I agree though, it would be great if we had it.

Hopkins attendance has been dropping.

Hopkins attendance has been dropping.

That may be so, but based on last night it seems to be a very low bar to surpass RU student attendance. I'd be surprised if there were 250 last night. The demographics were skewed towards under 18 and over 40. The Ivies get more student attendance than that.

They might. They also get less fans. Students get in for free. Lots of those other people were paying. I'd rather have both, but all things being equal, paying fans are better for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT