ADVERTISEMENT

From Aaron Breitman: What Cam Spencer will bring to Rutgers Hoops this year

No matter who was playing point, Pikes had the luxury of having Geo as his floor general. That trust relationship is not easily replaced. Cam can score, but can he run an offense on this level? For instance, if Paul doesn't get a pass in a very specific way- up and stepping into the shot- he won't shoot. Is he going to be comfortable ordering Cliff, an established star, to come up and set the high screen? Can he master the long outlet pass? I have no questions about his skills, but I suspect his RU career will have some fits and starts while they get it figured out.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13
Rutgers hasn't had an off-ball guard scorer like Spencer under Pikiell. A guy to get the ball coming off screens and making cuts. I'm interested to see how the offense changes from the Geo and Ron show.
It will be interesting. The ball is going to need to move frequently and crisply. I think there will be some growing pains early in the season. That said, the pieces are definitely there to make it work and thrive.

It will be interesting. The ball is going to need to move frequently and crisply. I think there will be some growing pains early in the season. That said, the pieces are definitely there to make it work and thrive.

There are growing pains every college season. Pike & Co usually figure it out by time conf schedule hits

Agreed. Just hoping the board doesn't go off the deep end as we work through them. It would be great if they don't happen at all, but that's not realistic.

Fan is short for fanatic, so it comes with the territory.

Pike, Karl Hobbs & Brandin Knight have each forgotten more about how to be successful in this sport at the D1 level than just about everyone on these message boards will ever know. They also have a lot of information we are not privy to.

That doesn’t mean fan’s observations shouldn’t be expressed or the staff and players cannot be criticized, but we have a men’s basketball program you can be proud of without reservation for the first time since I’ve been following the team (Wenzel era).

As an alum, I am very grateful for that and love everything about this program- even the bumps in the road.

Depends what growing pains we're talking about. Looking sloppy but winning 60-55? Or losing to a bottom of the barrel team?

Depends what growing pains we're talking about. Looking sloppy but winning 60-55? Or losing to a bottom of the barrel team?
With new key players and veteran leadership departing you could have some wtf losses. I hope it’s limited to one or none, but look around the nation during the early season. It happens.

Replacing Geo & Harper might be similar to losing Leonard & Rice.

Many assumed the program would roll on, but people underestimated Leonard’s leadership and that Rice’s talent was on bc another level than the guys that followed, even though they were NFL caliber players.

McConnell, Mulcahy, Hyatt & Spencer all have something major to prove this year in terms of what can we expect from them on the offensive end at this level.

We won’t know who the go to player(s) are going to be until they get tested.

It won’t surprise me to see some ugly games especially if our best offensive production turns out to come from Simpson, Mag or Rieber.

All the while Cliff develops into becoming the centerpiece / All-Conference player down low.

No matter who was playing point, Pikes had the luxury of having Geo as his floor general. That trust relationship is not easily replaced. Cam can score, but can he run an offense on this level? For instance, if Paul doesn't get a pass in a very specific way- up and stepping into the shot- he won't shoot. Is he going to be comfortable ordering Cliff, an established star, to come up and set the high screen? Can he master the long outlet pass? I have no questions about his skills, but I suspect his RU career will have some fits and starts while they get it figured out.
Cam is not going to be running the offense, he is a scorer.

Spencer may be a better shooter than Geo but Geo was a pretty good ball handler and had that step back where he could create his shot from anywhere. I'm not sure if Spencer has that in his game.

That was such an underrated part of Geos game! Every single team and defense knew it was coming but he got so much separation they still couldn’t stop it. And when he was on, it was like a 75% shot for him

Bird was 6’9’’. He is coming to a league where most are 4 inches longer and one step quicker. Not sure how that will translate. It is imperative we run our offensive sets and keep the ball moving.
The first thing you need is a guard fast enough, with a great handle to break backcourt pressure or an aggressive press without having to pick up their dribble.
Paul/Caleb/Cam
Are projected starters, which of the three can do that?

Last edited:
Replacing Geo & Harper might be similar to losing Leonard & Rice.

Many assumed the program would roll on, but people underestimated Leonard’s leadership and that Rice’s talent was on bc another level than the guys that followed, even though they were NFL caliber players.

McConnell, Mulcahy, Hyatt & Spencer all have something major to prove this year in terms of what can we expect from them on the offensive end at this level.

We won’t know who the go to player(s) are going to be until they get tested.

It won’t surprise me to see some ugly games especially if our best offensive production turns out to come from Simpson, Mag or Rieber.

All the while Cliff develops into becoming the centerpiece / All-Conference player down low.

We lost Leonard the year before Rice, and 2007 stepped back more because Teel broke his hand than the loss of Leonard. When Rice left, we also lost Zuttah, Sosa, and Fladell resulting in us playing musical chairs on the line to start 2008.

The first thing you need is a guard fast enough, with a great handle to break backcourt pressure or an aggressive press without having to pick up their dribble.
Paul/Calib/Cam
Are projected starters, which of the three can do that?
It is a concern for sure. When push came to shove the ball was mostly in Geo’s hands.

Bird was 6’9’’. He is coming to a league where most are 4 inches longer and one step quicker. Not sure how that will translate. It is imperative we run our offensive sets and keep the ball moving.
Yeah, last year the BigTen was loaded with guys who could defend guards…except for Purdue.😂
I see you, Peacocks.

My concern for the offense next year is who the second creator is. We know Mulcahy is the primary guy but when he's on the bench or heavily keyed in on by the defense who do we turn to? It can't all be McConnell or Spencer going one on one, we need someone else to create space and find teammates. McConnell can bring the ball up the floor but can he drove into the lane and make something happen? Can Spencer? Are Simpson or Miller ready to step into that role?

Aaron Breitman​

We're not worthy of your hard work:

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

My concern for the offense next year is who the second creator is. We know Mulcahy is the primary guy but when he's on the bench or heavily keyed in on by the defense who do we turn to? It can't all be McConnell or Spencer going one on one, we need someone else to create space and find teammates. McConnell can bring the ball up the floor but can he drove into the lane and make something happen? Can Spencer? Are Simpson or Miller ready to step into that role?
You think Caleb can be the guy to dribble the ball past mid court under back court pressure or press?
I’m talking after an opponents field goal or made foul shot where they set up pressure?

The bullish take on the season is we have unselfish players and a bunch of seniors that will get us in to our offensive sets and we will run them officially which will create quality shot opportunities.

I am worried that teams that play good defense and work us deep in to the shot clock are going to give us problems. It doesn’t appear we have players that can quickly create their own shot with the clock running down like we have had in previous years.

The bullish take on the season is we have unselfish players and a bunch of seniors that will get us in to our offensive sets and we will run them officially which will create quality shot opportunities.

I am worried that teams that play good defense and work us deep in to the shot clock are going to give us problems. It doesn’t appear we have players that can quickly create their own shot with the clock running down like we have had in previous years.
You have typical "doubt Rutgers, and everyone else is better syndrome." I prescribe a few shots and you must watch State Penn basketball.

Honestly GRF, that's an issue every year no matter what. That's the objective of the opposition every single game- play D and force you into bad shots. We'll get our share of good looks and we'll also have a few WTF possessions. Happens every game - unless you're Loyola Marymount with Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers (RIP).

You have typical "doubt Rutgers, and everyone else is better syndrome." I prescribe a few shots and you must watch State Penn basketball.
Every team in the country has doubts coming in to every season. We could discuss what this years Rutgers team will almost certainly do well. However success is going to be turning these question marks in to non issues

Honestly GRF, that's an issue every year no matter what. That's the objective of the opposition every single game- play D and force you into bad shots. We'll get our share of good looks and we'll also have a few WTF possessions. Happens every game - unless you're Loyola Marymount with Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers (RIP).
Going in to 2021-22 we had Geo Baker where we saw 4 years of a guy who could single handedly create his own perimeter shot with a step back. We also had Ron Harper Jr.

This year we are hanging our hat on a under 5 seconds on the shot clock guy who has had one 5 game stretch in a 100 game career showing he can get it done. There is not a guy on the roster that I am confident that can beat his man off the dribble OR can create space with a step back.

Now I haven’t seen Spencer and Simpson play

Going in to 2021-22 we had Geo Baker where we saw 4 years of a guy who could single handedly create his own perimeter shot with a step back. We also had Ron Harper Jr.

This year we are hanging our hat on a under 5 seconds on the shot clock guy who has had one 5 game stretch in a 100 game career showing he can get it done. There is not a guy on the roster that I am confident that can beat his man off the dribble OR can create space with a step back.

When Cliff can’t draw double teams and pass out of them, then Simpson could become a key piece because he can get to the rim, can finish at the rim, and has pull-up midrange game. I was shocked to see when someone close to the program compared Simpson to Baker they mentioned Simpson has even more quickness (no stepback yet however).

When Cliff can’t draw double teams and pass out of them, then Simpson could become a key piece because he can get to the rim, can finish at the rim, and has pull-up midrange game.
I am expecting Cliff to continue to improve. Like Pike I expect him to be a threat from 3. He is very athletic and moves great off the ball. However I don’t see any evidence that makes me think teams will need to double team Cliff in the low post.

I think we can be successful offensively, but it will be in the confines of utilizing half court sets and being smart and disciplined enough to get in to them.

GRF- guys have to move on eventually, it's college. And let's face it, having Geo or Ron chuck something up way beyond the arc as the shot clock was winding down was not the best situation. As it won't be the best situation this year with the new guys. I get that it happens, but I imagine our success rate in those situations wasn't that great anyway. You worry too much.

I am expecting Cliff to continue to improve. Like Pike I expect him to be a threat from 3. He is very athletic and moves great off the ball. However I don’t see any evidence that makes me think teams will need to double team Cliff in the low post.

I think we can be successful offensively, but it will be in the confines of utilizing half court sets and being smart and disciplined enough to get in to them.
Well then if Cliff isn’t doubled and Mulcahy can’t dominate the paint from 12 feet out, then Simpson has to check in to the game IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT