ADVERTISEMENT

From the Desk of Pat Hobbs on NIL

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Maybe the wailing and gnashing of teeth can stop?

Rutgers Nation,

It has been 18 months since the NCAA issued its initial guidance with respect to allowing student athletes to benefit financially from the use of their name, image, and likeness (NIL). During that time, we’ve built the R Edge infrastructure to support our student-athletes in their efforts. We have engaged several third-party entities like Opendorse, INFLCR and BrandR to assist our students. We continue to meet with individuals and organizations to determine how they might also support our student athletes. Many of our student athletes have secured significant opportunities as a result.

Recently the NCAA issued additional guidance which allows universities greater ability to encourage their fanbases to support student athletes in these endeavors. The rules continue to prohibit Rutgers and its employees from representing student-athletes or negotiating deals on their behalf but provides new avenues for us to work with you to assist our student-athletes with their NIL activities. Rutgers Nation is a passionate fanbase. Together we are writing the next great chapter. I know you want to support our Scarlet Knights in any way you can. I encourage you to explore ways in which you, your business, or your contacts might benefit from engaging our student athletes in NIL opportunities, either directly, through collectives such as The Knights of the Raritan and The Knight Society, or otherwise. My compliance team stands ready to assist you in navigating this new and evolving landscape. Visit our R Edge website at ScarletKnights.com/NIL to learn more.

It is an exciting time to be a Scarlet Knight. Our student-athletes know they are receiving a world-class education at Rutgers while they compete at the highest level in the athletic arena. I have long said that our student-athletes are our greatest ambassadors, they can be yours as well. Let’s do everything we can to support our student-athletes. Go RU!

Patrick Hobbs
Pat Hobbs_sig.jpg

Director of Intercollegiate Athletics

Rutgers University

Great job Hobbs!

Now get out your checkbooks you cheap bastards and write some checks! Tell your kids you don't need a sweater for Christmas what you need is Sam Brown running over defenders and then tell them to write a check!

The phonies that talk about winning at any cost are silent. As I've said they spend with their mouths and nothing else. It really pisses many people off that do their best to make a material difference. The complainers about everything who don't help monetarily are especially unhelpful.

Some would not care if we lost every game or recruit. As long as they get pasta threads one word threads complaining threads and of course spewing hate behind an anonymous message board all day and night. NIL is a way to actually try to win nah not us let’s recap a game we all watched to kill time before we die.

The phonies that talk about winning at any cost are silent. As I've said they spend with their mouths and nothing else. It really pisses many people off that do their best to make a material difference. The complainers about everything who don't help monetarily are especially unhelpful.
I posted in another thread that until NIL is better regulated and not a pay to play system, I am not on board. We donate to R Fund at a fairly decent level. That does not mean I cannot get on board, but in it's current form, I have more questions before I give. One of the collectives was supposed to be setting up something so that contributions were tax deductible and benefiting charities, but have not seen anything on that as of late.

I posted in another thread that until NIL is better regulated and not a pay to play system, I am not on board. We donate to R Fund at a fairly decent level. That does not mean I cannot get on board, but in it's current form, I have more questions before I give. One of the collectives was supposed to be setting up something so that contributions were tax deductible and benefiting charities, but have not seen anything on that as of late.
That's a reasonable thought process and you're already giving .

Reactions: MidwestKnights
I got an email on that a couple of weeks ago. I believe they fixed that.
But I'm with you. Rutgers needs to decide where they want the support. Just cause they create a new category doesn't mean I need to invest more.

So how do You know who gives what and how much? How do you link the complaints to the giving?

Reactions: BigEastWasBetter
Dont like it.

Yes RU has a very parsimonious alum and fan base, that is at almost embarrassing levels, but the nature of the university explains somewhat. That being said, was ok with facilities and student athlete experience funding but this NIL-as presently structured-just seems wrong.

Would have the current AD fight to restructure the system as much as asking to fund nebulous NIL activities.

Dont like it.

Yes RU has a very parsimonious alum and fan base, that is at almost embarrassing levels, but the nature of the university explains somewhat. That being said, was ok with facilities and student athlete experience funding but this NIL-as presently structured-just seems wrong.

Would have the current AD fight to restructure the system as much as asking to fund nebulous NIL activities.
Need to get Geo Baker on it.

They are working on it, last I heard.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I’m glad you posted your thoughts on this. I feel the same. I’m considering jumping in on NIL, but where/what is the best way to direct a contribution? Is it just KOR or others?

Yes have Geo on the committee. Think schools nationwide are clamoring for some clearer direction. There's no playing field, much less a level one.

I’m glad you posted your thoughts on this. I feel the same. I’m considering jumping in on NIL, but where/what is the best way to direct a contribution? Is it just KOR or others?
The funny thing is I am not looking for anything in return. I don't need a poster of Gavin, Sam, Caleb or anyone else. I don't need them to make an appearance at my business. I can see the appeal for retail store, restaurant, car dealership, etc., but not for a professional service business like ours.

KOR and the other one listed in Pat's letter are it. I can't figure out what the one Geo is involved in is all about. There is a lot of stuff about NFTs and other stuff I don't understand or have an interest in understanding.

Waiting for the rollout of helping charities. I could get behind THAT and donate. At the end of the day, many of us want to know our dollars are going to something beneficial to something we can point to, not to paying off some high school or transfer kids as the highest bidder for their services.

Maybe the wailing and gnashing of teeth can stop?

Rutgers Nation,

It has been 18 months since the NCAA issued its initial guidance with respect to allowing student athletes to benefit financially from the use of their name, image, and likeness (NIL). During that time, we’ve built the R Edge infrastructure to support our student-athletes in their efforts. We have engaged several third-party entities like Opendorse, INFLCR and BrandR to assist our students. We continue to meet with individuals and organizations to determine how they might also support our student athletes. Many of our student athletes have secured significant opportunities as a result.

Recently the NCAA issued additional guidance which allows universities greater ability to encourage their fanbases to support student athletes in these endeavors. The rules continue to prohibit Rutgers and its employees from representing student-athletes or negotiating deals on their behalf but provides new avenues for us to work with you to assist our student-athletes with their NIL activities. Rutgers Nation is a passionate fanbase. Together we are writing the next great chapter. I know you want to support our Scarlet Knights in any way you can. I encourage you to explore ways in which you, your business, or your contacts might benefit from engaging our student athletes in NIL opportunities, either directly, through collectives such as The Knights of the Raritan and The Knight Society, or otherwise. My compliance team stands ready to assist you in navigating this new and evolving landscape. Visit our R Edge website at ScarletKnights.com/NIL to learn more.

It is an exciting time to be a Scarlet Knight. Our student-athletes know they are receiving a world-class education at Rutgers while they compete at the highest level in the athletic arena. I have long said that our student-athletes are our greatest ambassadors, they can be yours as well. Let’s do everything we can to support our student-athletes. Go RU!

Patrick Hobbs
Pat Hobbs_sig.jpg

Director of Intercollegiate Athletics

Rutgers University

THAT's his signature? LOL

Great job Hobbs!

Now get out your checkbooks you cheap bastards and write some checks! Tell your kids you don't need a sweater for Christmas what you need is Sam Brown running over defenders and then tell them to write a check!

Sure. As soon as I get a piece of all future earnings.

Some would not care if we lost every game or recruit. As long as they get pasta threads one word threads complaining threads and of course spewing hate behind an anonymous message board all day and night. NIL is a way to actually try to win nah not us let’s recap a game we all watched to kill time before we die.

Freshman Snowflake checks in.

The funny thing is I am not looking for anything in return. I don't need a poster of Gavin, Sam, Caleb or anyone else. I don't need them to make an appearance at my business. I can see the appeal for retail store, restaurant, car dealership, etc., but not for a professional service business like ours.

KOR and the other one listed in Pat's letter are it. I can't figure out what the one Geo is involved in is all about. There is a lot of stuff about NFTs and other stuff I don't understand or have an interest in understanding.

Waiting for the rollout of helping charities. I could get behind THAT and donate. At the end of the day, many of us want to know our dollars are going to something beneficial to something we can point to, not to paying off some high school or transfer kids as the highest bidder for their services.
I totally agree with you. I would love to get behind tying this to support of non-profits. There are so many great organizations doing awesome work in the greater NB area.

Yes have Geo on the committee. Think schools nationwide are clamoring for some clearer direction. There's no playing field, much less a level one.

Yeah Geo should have a very impartial perspective. LOL

I still think the way to do this is to sell the possibility of BUYING national championship caliber talent for New Jersey's (aka Rutgers') college teams... sell that idea to businesses who can benefit from such a vision.

In the past, we could not get those kids.. now it might just be a $$$ game.. mostly. Pair that with how said businesses, and their leaders/owners, could benefit just for donating toward the cause.. and you have a winning pitch, IMO. I just don't see how a small fan base like Rutgers has can compare with large fan bases of the big NIL players today. We have to add a whole other support revenue stream and NIL could be a way to do it.. if you can sell the vision.

Reactions: rufan4ever
Please. This is another token response from the Michael Kay playbook. Guy has been and always will be #2.

Elijah's Promise Soup Kitchen and New Brunswick Children's Foundation come to mind.
Another great organization is Town Clock, which provides shelter and resources for domestic violence survivors. There is so much potential here that we can support and feel good about where our $$ are going.

Glad to see Pat make a public statement

As I’ve stated before, NIL has been long overdue and I’m all in

Regulation is needed though - right now it’s the Wild West

It’s definitely a commitment but I want to see a winning product on the field

For those that have the ability to donate, please consider doing so - Every bit helps

Glad to see Pat make a public statement

As I’ve stated before, NIL has been long overdue and I’m all in

Regulation is needed though - right now it’s the Wild West

It’s definitely a commitment but I want to see a winning product on the field

For those that have the ability to donate, please consider doing so - Every bit helps
Why is it long overdue?
Free tuition, room, board. An opportunity to be developed to play professionally with some of the finest equipment, facilities, coaching, etc all at no cost.
What is enough to satisfy these kids? $50K/year? $100K/year? If those numbers are real, what justifies payments that are more than many college graduates earn upon graduation, especially when a very large majority (is it 90-95%) have no prospect of going pro? Why not consider the free tuition, room, board, meals, training etc as a campus work study program and leave it at that?

ADVERTISEMENT