ADVERTISEMENT

From the Desk of Pat Hobbs on NIL

Why is it long overdue?
Free tuition, room, board. An opportunity to be developed to play professionally with some of the finest equipment, facilities, coaching, etc all at no cost.
What is enough to satisfy these kids? $50K/year? $100K/year? If those numbers are real, what justifies payments that are more than many college graduates earn upon graduation, especially when a very large majority (is it 90-95%) have no prospect of going pro? Why not consider the free tuition, room, board, meals, training etc as a campus work study program and leave it at that?
They bring in a ton of $ to the school
Not being able to accept $ is absurd in my opinion

Like I’ve said numerous times…. Some people will never get on board with an NIL. And that’s fine, I understand and respect that.

Others of us have been clamoring for it for a long time, and are happy that it’s finally here

Why is it long overdue?
Free tuition, room, board. An opportunity to be developed to play professionally with some of the finest equipment, facilities, coaching, etc all at no cost.
What is enough to satisfy these kids? $50K/year? $100K/year? If those numbers are real, what justifies payments that are more than many college graduates earn upon graduation, especially when a very large majority (is it 90-95%) have no prospect of going pro? Why not consider the free tuition, room, board, meals, training etc as a campus work study program and leave it at that?

I think Rutgers should bill the NIL players for the use of the R, the uniforms, the weight room, the stadium, the tuition, the tutors, the room and board and the juice bar. Copay for talking to the trainer is $20 a visit. During timeouts the water boy should require them to swipe a CC for a drink.

You want to get paid for your effort - we want to get paid for the investment in resources you're using.

Make the playoffs and the players get a 50% refund on fees paid to Rutgers listed above.

Last edited:
I think Rutgers should bill the NIL players for the use of the R, the uniforms, the weight room, the stadium, the tuition, the tutors, the room and board and the juice bar. Copay for talking to the trainer is $20 a visit. During timeouts the water boy should require them to swipe a CC for a drink.

You want to get paid for your effort - we want to get paid for the investment in resources you're using.
We keep hearing about how much money Rutgers is making off of "them." As @JayDogSmooth put it, the "bring in a ton of $ to the school."

OK. But Rutgers, like most schools except an elite handful, is losing money on athletics, mainly because the money largely generated football and men's basketball is used to fund the non-revenue sports, many of which are mandated by Title IX. Maybe some of these kids should look at the entire athletics department as an ecosystem. Why should the efforts of football players and basketball players be paid a lot of money, while the efforts of cross country, tennis, gymnastics, soccer, softball etc get little to nothing in comparison?

Reactions: RW90
We keep hearing about how much money Rutgers is making off of "them." As @JayDogSmooth put it, the "bring in a ton of $ to the school."

OK. But Rutgers, like most schools except an elite handful, is losing money on athletics, mainly because the money largely generated football and men's basketball is used to fund the non-revenue sports, many of which are mandated by Title IX. Maybe some of these kids should look at the entire athletics department as an ecosystem. Why should the efforts of football players and basketball players be paid a lot of money, while the efforts of cross country, tennis, gymnastics, soccer, softball etc get little to nothing in comparison?

RU hasn't made dollar 1 from any football player in history as NJ.com so often points out.

Let's be realistic. Rutgers does not have the fanbase to build a NIL war chest to compete with the likes of Ohio State, Auburn, Texas Tech, etc. etc. etc. But it may be possible to raise enough to attract athletes necessary to
maintain competitive programs.
Pat's letter stated his team will assist in compliance regarding collective fund raising.
Rutgers fanbase buys season tix, pays the required seat fee's, and many in addition also donate to RFund.
RFund donations are tax deductible. Seat fee donations are not.
Maybe some here can estimate how much money the seat donations for both basketball and football amounts to.
Rutgers is receiving a bigger share of B1G money so one way to build the NIL fund would be asking season ticket holders to make the equivalent seat donations to the NIL collective. Neither is tax deductible therefore no tax consequences.
In summary, if this can be done in accordance with compliance, RU can build a sizable NIL fund in exchange for giving up the usage of seat fees. That should be made up for with the increased B1G distribution.
If building a sizable NIL war chest is that important, than this would be a way to do it without it costing the season ticket holders any additional money.
I have 100 level basketball seats and 50 yard line football seats.
Those seat fees are sizable and I have no problem directing that money to NIL.
So the question to the fanbase, would you in lieu paying seat fees, direct the same amount to the NIL collective?
Which gives RU a better bang for their buck?

Except none of that money is currently going to pay players.
Its not the players causing the AD to have money issues.

Substitute HC Schiano's salary.

Why should the efforts of football and basketball coaches be paid a lot of money while the efforts of cross country, tennis, gymnastics, soccer, softball etc get little to nothing in comparison?

So as promised here are my thoughts as the head of the KTR executive committee.
  • I appreciate that the athletic director is now endorsing NIL and our efforts and encouraging folks to get involved any way they can.
  • I understand how divisive this issue is for some and it is not my intention to restart this conversation and go down the usual rabbit hole.
  • Many folks have said they would not get involved/join until there was clear direction from the athletic director, for those folks I leave the link to join here https://knightsoftheraritan.com/join/.
  • The next month is critical to the future of Rutgers football. I know that there are some that don't believe that for various reasons. I get that. But the landscape has changed. The portal is opening and the offers for our best players are coming. This is not a scare tactic. This is fact.
  • Now that we are aligned with the athletic department, we plan to collaborate and be more aggressive in this space to make more opportunities available to Rutgers student athletes. More to come soon.
  • If you are a member and has a friend who has been waiting for the "green light" from Athletics, send them our way.
As always you can contact me at jnewman@hodgespart.com.

Thanks so much for all your support and the ongoing debate.

Best,

Jon

• I appreciate that the athletic director is now endorsing NIL and our efforts and encouraging folks to get involved any way they can.
  • I understand how divisive this issue is for some and it is not my intention to restart this conversation and go down the usual rabbit hole.
  • Many folks have said they would not get involved/join until there was clear direction from the athletic director, for those folks I leave the link to join here https://knightsoftheraritan.com/join/.
  • The next month is critical to the future of Rutgers football. I know that there are some that don't believe that for various reasons. I get that. But the landscape has changed. The portal is opening and the offers for our best players are coming. This is not a scare tactic. This is fact.
  • Now that we are aligned with the athletic department, we plan to collaborate and be more aggressive in this space to make more opportunities available to Rutgers student athletes. More to come soon.
  • If you are a member and has a friend who has been waiting for the "green light" from Athletics, send them our way.

Best,

Jon
Hi Jon-thanks for posting. You don't sit far from us (my wife and I) in the Club section. Next year, we will introduce ourselves.

Do you have a status update on the timing of establishment of the 501c3 part of the collective so that donations may at least partially or fully tax deductible and how that may work? I recall that had been mentioned, but realize that it may take some time.

As I have stated before, I'm not interested in any of the perks that come with collective membership. They don't have any value to me. Perhaps what people like me are looking for is do our contributions go to a greater good than payments to players.

Why did HC Schiano demand a new practice facility?
Is there anything wrong with the dome?
Is the lack of a new facility holding back the team or why we haven't succeeded?
Why do we constantly redo the weight room?

Was redoing the weight room every couple years a priority in the 90s?
Well now it is. New expenses come along all the time.

It's the cost of doing business in high level football.

Well now there is a new expense - NIL.
The only difference is before the Athletic Dept was asking (begging) for the money "we need you to donate to us and pay for this."
Now it's "we need you to donate to KOR and pay for this."

Donors have always been asked (told?) by the Athletic Dept that they are responsible for new expenses to succeed.

Let's be realistic. Rutgers does not have the fanbase to build a NIL war chest to compete with the likes of Ohio State, Auburn, Texas Tech, etc. etc. etc. But it may be possible to raise enough to attract athletes necessary to
Pat's letter stated his team will assist in compliance regarding collective fund raising.
Rutgers fanbase buys season tix, pays the required seat fee's, and many in addition also donate to RFund.
Maybe some here can estimate how much money the seat donations for both basketball and football amounts to.
Rutgers is receiving a bigger share of B1G money so one way to build the NIL fund would be asking season ticket holders to make the equivalent seat donations to the NIL collective. Neither is tax deductible therefore no tax consequences.
In summary, if this can be done in accordance with compliance, RU can build a sizable NIL fund in exchange for giving up the usage of seat fees. That should be made up for with the increased B1G distribution.
If building a sizable NIL war chest is that important, than this would be a way to do it without it costing the season ticket holders any additional money.
So the question to the fanbase, would you in lieu paying seat fees, direct the same amount to the NIL collective?
A couple thoughts on this. I'll start by saying I've been a Knights of the Raritan member since it started. I got the Hobbs email today and read it four times, thinking I missed the punchline. So is it Pat's message that RU Athletics now says it's OK to contribute to the collectives? I'm sorry did I need RU's permission?

If people - so called hard core fans - were not contributing to a collective and now will because Hobbs said it's OK to do it, then I really question their dedication to RU Athletics. Clearly the two collectives that I'm aware of have worked to get athletes some flow (McConnell!!!) and has there even been the slightest hint of anything shady about them, I think not!! In fact, thank goodness for folks like Jon who organized to get us out in front of this and get something happening.

Lastly to this specific post, I also sit at midcourt in bball and 50 yd line in football and would gladly have my seat fee - some or all - go to NIL funding.

A couple thoughts on this. I'll start by saying I've been a Knights of the Raritan member since it started. I got the Hobbs email today and read it four times, thinking I missed the punchline. So is it Pat's message that RU Athletics now says it's OK to contribute to the collectives? I'm sorry did I need RU's permission?

If people - so called hard core fans - were not contributing to a collective and now will because Hobbs said it's OK to do it, then I really question their dedication to RU Athletics. Clearly the two collectives that I'm aware of have worked to get athletes some flow (McConnell!!!) and has there even been the slightest hint of anything shady about them, I think not!! In fact, thank goodness for folks like Jon who organized to get us out in front of this and get something happening.

Lastly to this specific post, I also sit at midcourt in bball and 50 yd line in football and would gladly have my seat fee - some or all - go to NIL funding.
Solid post. I wondered why folks were berating Hobbs when he was not quick out of the gate to give his blessing to give to NIL. If anything, seems there is a vocal segment of fans who are still hurt by what he did/did not do to get Greg rehired who would do the opposite of what he asked.

But to your point, and the one originally made by @rufan4ever , that is an excellent idea on the seat donation going to NIL.

@Knight Shift Would love to connect in the Club.

email me at jnewman@hodgespart.com and we can set up a time to discuss the 501-C3. The short version is we have set it up but there are limitations that I like to explain to folks as they decide whether to donate or not.

Thanks, Jon

Some would not care if we lost every game or recruit. As long as they get pasta threads one word threads complaining threads and of course spewing hate behind an anonymous message board all day and night. NIL is a way to actually try to win nah not us let’s recap a game we all watched to kill time before we die.

You’re not even funny what a weirdo.

I'm quoting you ya dipshit.

You're way out of your league here, snowflake. Just move on.

Reactions: bac2therac
Solid post. I wondered why folks were berating Hobbs when he was not quick out of the gate to give his blessing to give to NIL. If anything, seems there is a vocal segment of fans who are still hurt by what he did/did not do to get Greg rehired who would do the opposite of what he asked.

But to your point, and the one originally made by @rufan4ever , that is an excellent idea on the seat donation going to NIL.
This is probably a silly question . . . how can the seat donation go to NIL? Isn't the seat donation essentially a mandatory gift to Rutgers in order to have seats? Rutgers itself can't participate in making NIL arrangements -- that's clear from Hobbs' message. So doesn't whatever goes to NIL have to be above and beyond seat donations and everything else that has to go to Rutgers? Or am I totally missing the point?

I think a better question is how many Seat Fee payers won't be renewing their tickets if this turns into a pay for play free agent free for all. And sadly it looks like that's where we're heading.

I'm a lifelong Yankees fan. That doesn't mean I need to pony up for Judge's contract too.

Not a good analogy.
Yankees never said "we want to fire Boone but don't have the money. So hes coming back. Fans needs to pitch in if they want us to make a change."

Fans are routinely "required" to pay for all parts of the Athletic Department budget or else "we can't compete."

THAT's his signature? LOL

Sure. As soon as I get a piece of all future earnings.

Freshman Snowflake checks in.

But, but, you had all you judgementalism all spun up!

Relax, he's virtue signaling.

I don't know if Geo's still interested. He got paid - who cares what kind of havoc it causes in the long run.

Yeah Geo should have a very impartial perspective. LOL

LOL. Spewing Hate! Waaaaaa!!!!

Yeah I don't care enough to win. Just sign out and stay away.

Probably Geo's "football account".

Make the playoffs and the players get a 50% refund on fees paid to Rutgers listed above.

RU hasn't made dollar 1 from any football player in history as NJ.com so often points out.

I'm quoting you ya dipshit.

You're way out of your league here, snowflake. Just move on.

I think a better question is how many Seat Fee payers won't be renewing their tickets if this turns into a pay for play free agent free for all. And sadly it looks like that's where we're heading.
FYI there's a handy button that let's you quote multiple posts at once!

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2 and LETSGORU91
Not a good analogy.
Yankees never said "we want to fire Boone but don't have the money. So hes coming back. Fans needs to pitch in if they want us to make a change."

Fans are routinely "required" to pay for all parts of the Athletic Department budget or else "we can't compete."
I'm in no position to tell anyone else how to spend their money. As for me, there are bigger priorities in life than paying for the athletes at my alma mater to supplement their athletic scholarship. If Judge departs for more money, more power to him. Same goes for college athletes now signing/staying for the highest bidder. Being ever the small fish in the big pond, we've suffered this long as a fan base, I'm sure we'll survive, or if not move on.

At the end of the day, I root for my alma mater to help pass the time. But after writing checks to RU for three tuitions, and having MBB and/or FB season tickets half my adult life, I've got much more pressing priorities for my limited disposable income at this point in my life. If you feel it's important to personally fund your college sports athletes beyond scholarship, that's great.

Last edited:
So how do You know who gives what and how much? How do you link the complaints

But, but, you had all you judgementalism all spun up!
Nope , my point has always been about the non givers and those that only give with their mouths and we know there are many on here that don't give , that's obvious--I never mentioned names but if the shoe fits wear it -and by the way knight shift just said he gave but was unsure about the nil-that's reasonable to me and I said so. If anyone wants to defend the camp of non givers who bitch go ahead. To me they suck and are not helpful to RU . By the way, guess what, at one time RU listed by name what category of giving people's donations represented so it was easy to tell numbers.

Reactions: Steve91562
Great job Hobbs!

Now get out your checkbooks you cheap bastards and write some checks! Tell your kids you don't need a sweater for Christmas what you need is Sam Brown running over defenders and then tell them to write a check!
If all the posters that spend all day bashing everything RU donate some money we could be in position to compete in this new NIL world .

Best,

Jon
Thanks RUJON. Hopefully the negatoids understand the landscape now and donate instead of bashing RU athletics.

It all boils down to how much winning matters to people

It matters a lot to me. I love sports and seeing Rutgers do well in many sports, but especially the big $$ ones is important

Others don’t mind as much. They are ok with being competitive and not winning a majority of the time

Neither way of thinking is wrong. But if I’m taking my time / effort / money to see my teams play, I want wins

Winning is contagious. It’s addictive. And to me, there’s only a few things in life that can replicate / exceed that

We still buy groceries. Pay mortgage. Save for retirement. Put away for kids college. Go on vacations and out to eat. My kid even gets Christmas and birthday presents!

But I know the amount we contribute directly helps the bottom line. It’s a sacrifice and everyone has a line in the sand where they say no more

But for me, I’ll continue to happily cut checks as seeing a winning program (s) across multiple sports is something that brings me great joy

Reactions: rutgersal

Best,

Jon
WIth regard to your 4th bullet point, I think most understand how the next month is critical for football given the current landscape. We are at risk of having our best talent leave for better offers and be replaced with lower level talent that will accept what we have to offer. Just listen to GS response to the last question posed at his most recent press conference for the Maryland game. He knows the uncertainty and the possible negative outcomes in December.

I wish you the best in your genuine effort to help the program but I just don't see us being successful regardless. I am fundamentally opposed at this point and will need to see some real belts and suspenders implemented before adjust my current level of interest. Even then will see.

CBS Sports and the Athletic put out their weekly rankings of the 131 schools playing in the top two football divisions. We were 91 and 102 respectively. I don't see us cracking the top 60 in this environment.

Does anybody else get a chuckle at reading this donation beratement thread on the FREE message board? This is where us poors - who cannot cough up $12/month for Premium access - congregate to talk RU Football. Move this thread to the Round Table, where you movers & shakers can all get on the same page & shame the folks who send their kids to public school and work night shift and only donate $100/month so Taj can buy Gucci baby hats.

Best,

Jon
@RUJON

Has Greg offered any of his time to help you promote the KTR Collective? Do you expect him to in the future?

Doesnt Greg have the most to gain if your Collective is financially successful?

Reactions: RUaMoose
Nope , my point has always been about the non givers and those that only give with their mouths and we know there are many on here that don't give , that's obvious--I never mentioned names but if the shoe fits wear it -and by the way knight shift just said he gave but was unsure about the nil-that's reasonable to me and I said so. If anyone wants to defend the camp of non givers who bitch go ahead. To me they suck and are not helpful to RU . By the way, guess what, at one time RU listed by name what category of giving people's donations represented so it was easy to tell numbers.

I'll defend the folks who think this NIL and the portal issues are going to destroy our relationship with the players on the team.

And yeah I think I'll stand by my judgmental comment. How's the view from that high horse?

I'll defend the folks who think this NIL and the portal issues are going to destroy our relationship with the players on the team.

And yeah I think I'll stand by my judgmental comment. How's the view from that high horse?
Of course I'm judgemental --- so are you- and by the way I'm calling out those don't give, only bitch.The difference between us is you want to defend them.

1. I fully understand and agree with NIL.
2. I find it really weird that people call other people "bad fans" for not donating (NIL or AD directly).

Can we start a "Bad Fan" thread with all the attributes?

• Don't donate to AD
  • Don't donate to NIL
  • Sell tickets on StubHub
  • Keep season tickets during Ash Era
  • Drop season tickets during Ash Era
  • Post criticism in early in game day threads
  • Post criticism after losses
  • Post encouragement after losses
I just have these off the top of my head.

Of course I'm judgemental --- so are you ( mr.hypocrit ?)-- and by the way I'm calling out those don't give, only bitch.The difference between us is

Pretty early to be drunk.

I never said I don't judge so I'm not a hypocrite. I'm human, I judge people all the time.

You did. While judging. While trying to virtue signal you weren't.

Again. Morning drinking is not good for you.

2. I find it really weird that people call other people "bad fans" for not donating (NIL or AD directly).

• Don't donate to AD
  • Don't donate to NIL

Now I feel bad about myself. LOLOL

• Don't donate to AD
  • Don't donate to NIL
Good list --add-- attack and give little support when a team's down, always feel the grass is greener, want to fire coaches after one play. There are many more but your " Post encouragement" after a loss?? , they don't do that

Reactions: NickRU714
Good list --add-- attack and give little support when a team's down, always feel the grass is greener, want to fire coaches after one play. There are many more but your " Post encouragement" after a loss?? , they don't do that

Posting about another team!! Good one.

Posting encouragement after a loss is "settling for mediocrity" and makes you a bad fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT