ADVERTISEMENT

From the Desk of Pat Hobbs on NIL

Pretty early to be drunk.

I never said I don't judge so I'm not a hypocrite. I'm human, I judge people all the time.

You did. While judging. While trying to virtue signal you weren't.

Again. Morning drinking is not good for you.
Again if you want to defend those that give nothing material to help RU but only complain and bitch. Go ahead , they have contributed nothing to suoport RU

Reactions: Steve91562
Good list --add-- attack and give little support when a team's down, always feel the grass is greener, want to fire coaches after one play. There are many more but your " Post encouragement" after a loss?? , they don't do that
Geez we forgot a main qualifier-- they don't give a dime to RU

The phonies that talk about winning at any cost are silent. As I've said they spend with their mouths and nothing else. It really pisses many people off that do their best to make a material difference. The complainers about everything who don't help monetarily are especially unhelpful.
How do we know you give any money to Rutgers at any level, academic or athletic? You are hiding behind a made-up name on an anonymous free sports board. This board is filled with imaginary millionaires who live in their parent's basement. We need proof. Please provide your full name, address, phone #, place of work, and the last 10 years of your bank statements where it is clearly identifiable where you donated to Rutgers. In fact, I don't know about the rest of the posters on this board, I don't know if we can trust you because we just don't know you, you might fudge those statements a bit, so in that light, I think the better alternative is for you to post your account information, including your username and password, so that we can look thru your bank accounts ourselves and determine exactly how much you give to Rutgers. And then, and only then, if we determine as a group that you give enough of your money to Rutgers can you then pass judgement on others. Does that sound fair?

I posted in another thread that until NIL is better regulated and not a pay to play system, I am not on board. We donate to R Fund at a fairly decent level. That does not mean I cannot get on board, but in it's current form, I have more questions before I give. One of the collectives was supposed to be setting up something so that contributions were tax deductible and benefiting charities, but have not seen anything on that as of late.

Maybe that's a reason not to give big amounts, but you can give a little. There's a narrow window to help out while this NIL mess becomes more clarified. You're not the only one with questions, but that's not a reason not help to at all. Not sure it has to be one of those all or nothing issues. At least that's how I see it.

Some would not care if we lost every game or recruit. As long as they get pasta threads one word threads complaining threads and of course spewing hate behind an anonymous message board all day and night. NIL is a way to actually try to win nah not us let’s recap a game we all watched to kill time before we die.
What are you even talking about?

I just e-mailed the following note to Hobbs:

Dear Dean Hobbs,

(Once a dean, always a dean!)

As a member of Rutgers Nation, I am glad you wrote your note regarding NIL. I hope it’s OK for me to point out a typo. In the sentence starting “The rules” in the second paragraph, the second verb should be “provide” rather than “provides.” That is because the subject is “The rules,” a plural, just as in the first part of the sentence where you used the verb “continue.”

But I don’t want to write just about a typo. As I’m sure you’re aware, there is a great deal of angst among our fans about the desirability and implications of NIL. There is a lot of fear that Rutgers will be unable to compete unless fans contribute to a collective on top of what they are already paying and donating to Rutgers athletics. In addition, some dislike what they see as the loss of the amateur model in which athletes are expected to be students.

NIL is now a fact, and I don’t think it’s useful to debate whether it’s good or bad. (For what it’s worth, I think the NCAA could have argued that Justice Kavanaugh’s concurring opinion in Alston is incorrect; that prohibiting NIL is distinguishable from the kind of restrictions on educational benefits invalidated in Alston. But, with numerous legislatures authorizing NIL, further resistance by the NCAA would probably have been politically impossible.) The question rather is how NIL should work.

I do hope – and I hope you agree – that we need Federal legislation as soon as possible so that the rules are uniform around the country. Perhaps we’ll see legislation in the current lame-duck session of Congress. I hope you also agree that that legislation should prohibit NIL from being used as a recruitment inducement. Such restrictions will not be easy to enforce – what is to stop a recruiter from saying “we’re in a part of the country where there are many NIL opportunities” (nod nod, wink wink)? – but at least it would prevent the worst of the abuses that can presently take place.

Let us hope that the coming year is a good one for all Rutgers athletes!

How do we know you give any money to Rutgers at any level, academic or athletic? You are hiding behind a made-up name on an anonymous free sports board. This board is filled with imaginary millionaires who live in their parent's basement. We need proof. Please provide your full name, address, phone #, place of work, and the last 10 years of your bank statements where it is clearly identifiable where you donated to Rutgers. In fact, I don't know about the rest of the posters on this board, I don't know if we can trust you because we just don't know you, you might fudge those statements a bit, so in that light, I think the better alternative is for you to post your account information, including your username and password, so that we can look thru your bank accounts ourselves and determine exactly how much you give to Rutgers. And then, and only then, if we determine as a group that you give enough of your money to Rutgers can you then pass judgement on others. Does that sound fair?
you're an ass --yeah I'm gonna give out my info to a$$holes like you--as I said its obvious that many don't give a dime and you don't need my info to know that and to call out the problem with that lack of giving but fyi over the years my donatiions are comfortably in the high six figure range

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
you're an ass --yeah I'm gonna give out my info to a$$holes like you--as I said its obvious that many don't give a dime and you don't need my info to know that and to call out the problem with that lack of giving but fyi over the years my donatiions are comfortably in the high six figure range
You actually may give millions, that may be true, who knows, we have no proof other than your statements and you are hiding behind a fake name, which is your right. Just like you have no real knowledge that its "obvious than many don't give a dime." My point was, and is, that it is absurd to call people out for not donating on a free anonymous sports board when all the people are hiding behind fictious names. Nobody knows who donates what, it is all conjecture.

You actually may give millions, that may be true, who knows, we have no proof other than your statements and you are hiding behind a fake name, which is your right. Just like you have no real knowledge that its "obvious than many don't give a dime." My point was, and is, that it is absurd to call people out for not donating on a free anonymous sports board when all the people are hiding behind fictious names. Nobody knows who donates what, it is all conjecture.
stop your nonesense-- as I said its obvious, hey there are some that actually have said they don't donate--how about you??? My point needs NO verification from me for justification. Open your pocket book cheapo --I'd say enjoy your Thanksgiving but we know you can't.

stop your nonesense-- as I said its obvious, hey there are some that actually have said they don't donate--how about you??? My point needs NO verification from me for justification. Open your pocket book cheapo --I'd say enjoy your Thanksgiving but we know you can't.

by the way none of my ancestors killed any indigenous people.

I still would not contribute NIL money for recruitment purposes.

Philosophically, I think there is something wrong if one's primary reason for coming here is money. IMO, this type of recruit would be on the first plane out of here should a "better" offer come along.

I am also a realist and am beginning to come around to the idea of contributing to a collective that focuses on retention of players already on the team.

I would also participate in a salary pool for the coaching staff. We will never competitive in a market for players. However, I think we could certainly afford a top 15-20ish coordinator staff.

Again, calling people out when you don’t know who you are talking to, very immature.

I posted in another thread that until NIL is better regulated and not a pay to play system, I am not on board. We donate to R Fund at a fairly decent level. That does not mean I cannot get on board, but in it's current form, I have more questions before I give. One of the collectives was supposed to be setting up something so that contributions were tax deductible and benefiting charities, but have not seen anything on that as of late.

This.

I mentioned on Twitter last night that there needed to be more transparency and very specific compliance rules before a lot of people - me included - would consider writing checks.

"Give us money. Now give us more money. Now give those guys over there money." isn't really the support model that aligns with most sensibilities.

Not sure what difference this makes. Mine did - and one of them was, in turn, killed by natives. Those were different times. A man did what he needed to do, to survive.

Not sure what difference this makes. Mine did - and one of them was, in turn, killed by natives. Those were different times. A man did what he needed to do, to survive.
See his comments about Thanksgiving

"Give us money. Now give us more money. Now give those guys over there money." isn't really the support model that aligns with most sensibilities.

This is basically the entire college athletics revenue model in a bow.

This is where my disconnect comes in.
The AD has been saying “give us money. Now give us more money. If you don’t give us more money then HC Flood is going to stay. If you don’t give us more money then HC Ash is going to stay.”

Personally, don’t really see how this is any different than every other year when they say “If you don’t give us even more money then we can’t build a new practice facility or upgrade the weight room or build a recruiting lounge.”

It’s just another plea for the AD demanding fans throw money into the “Rutgers Athletics” pit.

Reactions: rufan4ever
This is basically the entire college athletics revenue model in a bow.

This is where my disconnect comes in.
The AD has been saying “give us money. Now give us more money. If you don’t give us more money then HC Flood is going to stay. If you don’t give us more money then HC Ash is going to stay.”

Personally, don’t really see how this is any different than every other year when they say “If you don’t give us even more money then we can’t build a new practice facility or upgrade the weight room or build a recruiting lounge.”

It’s just another plea for the AD demanding fans throw money into the “Rutgers Athletics” pit.

The difference being that there's still every expectation that we will continue to give the athletic department all the money we've been giving them - and now more to the NIL stuff.

At some point it comes down to "what is the value prop, to me?"

I suspect there are more than a few of us old-timers who are, at this point, on the fence anyway. I have every intention of sticking around for a few more years, but I don't see me paying considerably more money to do it. I'm resolutely convinced that the over/under for this program is 5 wins. A good year will get us 7. We can do that without paying through the nose for players, if we have coaches who know what they're doing.

I just received an email to donate to a food insecurity fund for Rutgers Camden students. Priorities are always an issue. $$$$

there is something wrong with you. You have real insecurity issues and quite frankly, add zero to any discussion.

For the all the virtue signaling and desire to spend other people's money, why don't you tell everyone how much you give? I mean we could find out, plenty of info from these boards on you to determine exactly who you are and it's a simple call to get the figure so in the interest of time, lets see how much of a big spender you are

Though I still give for football, I divide it up by other sports as well that I feel have a better chance of competiting

Bball, wrestling and lax are the main ones

Might start diverting some of the fb money into soccer and w Bball, or contribute that into bigger pool for Bball wrestling and lax

As a season ticket holder for all 4 big men’s sports, like to see them do well, but realistically feel as the latter 3 have a much higher ceiling than fb

there is something wrong with you. You have real insecurity issues and quite frankly, add zero to any discussion.

For the all the virtue signaling and desire to spend other people's money, why don't you tell everyone how much you give? I mean we could find out, plenty of info from these boards on you to determine exactly who you are and it's a simple call to get the figure so in the interest of time, lets see how much of a big spender you are
You're an idiot and by the way I gave a very good estimate of my giving -whats yours.And by the way threats from idiots don't faze me.

I usually take time to read RU66 posts, but am getting pretty tired of his ongoing use of "you're an idiot" to label anyone who disagrees with him. I believe there are some very smart and insightful posters here who are not idiots despite offering opposing points of view.

I usually take time to read RU66 posts, but am getting pretty tired of his ongoing use of "you're an idiot" to label anyone who disagrees with him. I believe there are some very smart and insightful posters here who are not idiots despite offering opposing points of view.
Your choice but when someone threatens me -- they're an idiot.

You're an idiot and by the way I gave a very good estimate of my giving -whats yours.And by the way threats from idiots don't faze me.
you are like a petulant child only worse with your immaturity. Again, you provide zero to this board. Surprised the mods haven't spoken to you yet

Reactions: bac2therac
I just e-mailed the following note to Hobbs:

Dear Dean Hobbs,

(Once a dean, always a dean!)

As a member of Rutgers Nation, I am glad you wrote your note regarding NIL. I hope it’s OK for me to point out a typo. In the sentence starting “The rules” in the second paragraph, the second verb should be “provide” rather than “provides.” That is because the subject is “The rules,” a plural, just as in the first part of the sentence where you used the verb “continue.”

But I don’t want to write just about a typo. As I’m sure you’re aware, there is a great deal of angst among our fans about the desirability and implications of NIL. There is a lot of fear that Rutgers will be unable to compete unless fans contribute to a collective on top of what they are already paying and donating to Rutgers athletics. In addition, some dislike what they see as the loss of the amateur model in which athletes are expected to be students.

NIL is now a fact, and I don’t think it’s useful to debate whether it’s good or bad. (For what it’s worth, I think the NCAA could have argued that Justice Kavanaugh’s concurring opinion in Alston is incorrect; that prohibiting NIL is distinguishable from the kind of restrictions on educational benefits invalidated in Alston. But, with numerous legislatures authorizing NIL, further resistance by the NCAA would probably have been politically impossible.) The question rather is how NIL should work.

I do hope – and I hope you agree – that we need Federal legislation as soon as possible so that the rules are uniform around the country. Perhaps we’ll see legislation in the current lame-duck session of Congress. I hope you also agree that that legislation should prohibit NIL from being used as a recruitment inducement. Such restrictions will not be easy to enforce – what is to stop a recruiter from saying “we’re in a part of the country where there are many NIL opportunities” (nod nod, wink wink)? – but at least it would prevent the worst of the abuses that can presently take place.

Let us hope that the coming year is a good one for all Rutgers athletes!
Yeah, starting out a letter by pointing out a meaningless typo is always an endearing way to get your voice heard 😆

You really can't help yourself, huh?

Yeah, starting out a letter by pointing out a meaningless typo is always an endearing way to get your voice heard 😆

You really can't help yourself, huh?
You're right -- I can't! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Peace out.

There's another poster that throws around idiot (and stupid regularly).

Non scientific survey: searched "idiot" for both posters--the other one has 200 instances of idiot in posts. ru66 only has about 25

ADVERTISEMENT