ADVERTISEMENT

FS1 Railing on RU BBall

“Statement game. What statement? Rutgers is in trouble.”

“Rutgers is in free fall mode”

Commentators laughing at RU as they discuss their ineptitude. It’s bad guys.
That's their Job and our Job as fans is to support the kids. There is enough people who will critique the players so let's find our spirit as fans and stick with the kids...don't you think 🤔😉

That's their Job and our Job as fans is to support the kids. There is enough people who will critique the players so let's find our spirit as fans and stick with the kids...don't you think 🤔😉

Our job as fans watching on TV is tradeour viewership in exchange for entertainment.

The bottom line is the season is brutal and the Big Ten is unforgiving. I know Rutgers recruits system guys in Pike has been recognized for that but it is evident those four and five star athletes on the other teams (the elite teams in the BIG) are better athletes and athletes win games.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
The bottom line is the season is brutal and the Big Ten is unforgiving. I know Rutgers recruits system guys in Pike has been recognized for that but it is evident those four and five star athletes on the other teams (the elite teams in the BIG) are better athletes and athletes win games.

PSU does not have better athletes than us. Myles and Cliff should not be getting destroyed on the boards by John ****ing Harrar and Seth Lundy.

PSU does not have better athletes than us. Myles and Cliff should not be getting destroyed on the boards by John ****ing Harrar and Seth Lundy.
This. I said it in another thread. It’s all about effort. We saw their best effort for eight and a half minutes of a forty minute game. Not boxing out, shooting contested jumpers over running a play, lazy passes, not closing out on shooters. All effort. You suck at FTs? Stay late after practice and make an effort to correct that issue. Pike has to do a better job of motivating them from the start, but there’s also only so much he can do. They have to play like they want it. The last few games it’s looked like they don’t want to be out there.

The idea that this team doesn’t care is wrong. This team cares, they are panicking out there. I think what appears as a lack of effort is them trying not to panic If the mindset that if they play within themselves and let their talent take over good things will happen. They are over thinking things and panicking. When things begin to spiral out of control it’s not easy to turn it back around. It may look like they are being lazy by I think it’s more a case of them playing with zero confidence right now

The idea that this team doesn’t care is wrong. This team cares, they are panicking out there. I think what appears as a lack of effort is them trying not to panic If the mindset that if they play within themselves and let their talent take over good things will happen. They are over thinking things and panicking. When things begin to spiral out of control it’s not easy to turn it back around. It may look like they are being lazy by I think it’s more a case of them playing with zero confidence right now
It’s doesn’t take confidence to box out and grab a rebound. They should’ve killed Penn State on the boards. Instead, it was the other way around. That’s effort.

It’s more bad decisions than bad effort. They want to win more than you are giving them credit for. They are just not handling the situation well

Reactions: shields
Overthinking makes sense, not sure if Pike is being too hard or not hard enough, or a little of both depending on who you talk to. To be a fly on the wall in their locker room to know what's really going on and how we could help as fans. I just don't get how a team goes from 20-11 and rolling at the end of 2019-20 season is. I don't think its losing Yeboah(3rd, 9.8pts, 4.8 reb) or Shaq Carter(9th, 3.6pts, 2.5reb) thing because they wouldnt have played so well in the first 5 games. Neither showed they were leaders on the court, just role players.

They start the 2020-21 season 5-0, 19 assists a game, making the games and wins look easy. There was signs of bad habits developing. Maryland outrebounded us slightly 36-35, despite winning 74-60 12ast, the Illinois game, Illinois shot FG 54% and 9-15 60% from 3, and RU didn't shoot great, 12 assists, 25-36 FTs, 91-88. In the 7th game comes around, they lead 48-32 in the second half at OSU before a horrendous collapse 20-48, another 12ast but recover enough to beat Purdue without RHJ, only 10'ast. All signs point to the fracture in the Iowa game. It was their last game of letting the game flow and the last game they looked like they played together and won, had 19 assists. MSU(10ast), OSU(13ast), Wisconsin (6ast) but out rounded them by double digits and tonight 18 ast but out rebounded again.. I don't know if it themselves, how teams are playing them a little of both. It seems like when they fix one thing, two more bad things shows up. They have been trending this way for a while.

Last edited:
Geo is killing us. He is playing way too much. Playing McConnell 77 minutes in his first four conference games back killed us.

These are the biggest drivers to our recent slump. Cliff out hurt as well obviously.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Seems to me the real slump started with MSU.

It could be that the guys felt like they couldn't catch a break after the refs jobbed us at OSU and then we lost a tough one to Iowa ..

THEN playing an MSU team we thought we'd beat, we just got terribly outcoached and outschemed. We were demoralized by losing 3/4, and being so stifled vs MSU. On top of that, the book is now out on how to beat us from MSU. Tactically we are getting killed and don't have a tactical answer since Pike doesn't believe in offense, and the spirits of the guys have been crushed since they don't have an answer scheme-wise and feel like they havnt caught any breaks.

And yeah the FT shooting is pathetic, so are the decisions with the ball, but our shots just are NOT falling, and other teams' are. Combine all that, and they just don't even want to play anymore on some level ...that's when the rebounding and defense falls apart, and now this season is spiraling into the toilet.

Just my theory. Without fans it's even worse as it kinda kills the environment and will to play more. Will we bounce back next year? Idk. Who comes back, who transfers etc. I just don't know. It seems they've grown weary of Pike though, and have lost confidence and faith in the culture and system, and that's a bad sign.

Seems to me the real slump started with MSU.

It could be that the guys felt like they couldn't catch a break after the refs jobbed us at OSU and then we lost a tough one to Iowa .. THEN playing an MSU team, we thought we'd beat, we just got terribly outcoached and outschemed, we were demoralized by losing 3/4 and being so stifled vs MSU, AND the book is now out on how to beat us from MSU. Tactically we are getting killed and don't have a tactical answer since Pike doesn't believe in offense, and the spirits of the guys have been crushed since they don't have an answer scheme-wise and feel like they havnt caught any breaks.

And yeah the FT shooting is pathetic, so are the decisions with the ball, but our shots just are NOT falling, and other teams are. Combine all that, and they just don't even want to play anymore on some level ...that's when the rebounding and defense falls apart, and now this season is spiraling into the toilet.

Just my theory. Without fans it's even worse as it kinda kills the environment and will to play more. Will we bounce back next year? Idk. Who comes back, who transfers etc. I just don't know. It seems they e grown weary if Pike though, and that's a bad sign.

Can you elaborate on how our decisions with the ball are pathetic? Did you happen to mean shot selection?

Can you elaborate on how our decisions with the ball are pathetic?

Have you watched? Lobbing the ball up into traffic, turning it over at inopportune times, taking terrible contested shots in the paint while double teamed, forcing bad shots with plenty of time left on the shot clock.

Was that even a serious question?

Have you watched? Lobbing the ball up into traffic, turning it over at inopportune times, taking terrible contested shots in the paint while double teamed, forcing bad shots with plenty of time left on the shot clock.

Was that even a serious question?

It was serious. We have the 13th best turnover percentage in the country. You quoted me before i added if you meant shot selection fyi

Reactions: IL Lusciato
It was serious. We have the 13th best turnover percentage in the country. You quoted me before i added if you meant shot selection fyi

Is that a differential based number? Bc we get alot of turnovers too, but haven't capitalized much. If not, I'm sure it's a falling rank...we built up some solid stats the first bunch of games...and it still doesn't change the terrible lobs, and terrible shot selection,

Is that a differential based number? Bc we get alot of turnovers too, but haven't capitalized much. If not, I'm sure it's a falling rank...we built up some solid stats the first bunch of games...and it still doesn't change the terrible lobs, and terrible shot selection,

It's turnovers per 100 possessions. Not related to defense. 12.9% TOV%.

In last 4 games:
Wisconsin 14.6%
Ohio St 6.6%
Michigan St 8.3%
Iowa 11.6%

Turnovers haven't been the problem generally, though tonight at Penn St. it might have been worse than average.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
It's turnovers per 100 possessions. Not related to defense. 12.9% TOV%.

In last 4 games:
Wisconsin 14.6%
Ohio St 6.6%
Michigan St 8.3%
Iowa 11.6%

Turnovers haven't been the problem generally, though tonight at Penn St. it might have been worse than average.

Fair enough man. Thanks for the facts.

ADVERTISEMENT