ADVERTISEMENT

Funny, but sad, Urban you dope

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015

This gets a full rolling laughing guy...hmm trying to get my laughing guy up but he isnt responding.

:eek:

[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

Ah there he goes.

Ouch, Judson and Lecounte look nothing alike so I guess Urban wasn't doing his homework. Rutgers offered Judson, I'll bet Ash wouldn't forget his name..

Ash should recruit him. Tell him if you really want to stick it to Meyer come with to Rutgers

Seem petty to be honest.
I had the same thought. Coaches see a lot of recruits and getting mixed up if one's mind is on one of the million other things he has to worry about doesn't necessarily equate to disrespect. If I were the player, I wouldn't let my ego interfere with my desired choice of school.

I had the same thought. Coaches see a lot of recruits and getting mixed up if one's mind is on one of the million other things he has to worry about doesn't necessarily equate to disrespect. If I were the player, I wouldn't let my ego interfere with my desired choice of school.
Exactly, I'd file this one under the "honest mistake" category.

Exactly, I'd file this one under the "honest mistake" category.
Sorry but as much as I like urban you need to know commits faces and names. You also need to know who is at your event. He's not a potential walk on..he's a 4 star early commit.

It's a mistake for sure but IMO it's simply not that big of a deal, certainly not big enough to based one of the most important life decisions on.

Sorry but as much as I like urban you need to know commits faces and names. You also need to know who is at your event. He's not a potential walk on..he's a 4 star early commit.
Urban made a mistake, no doubt. But I still think the player's reaction was petty. The player put his ego ahead of his best interests. The player had a chance to play for a great program, with a great coach.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Funny stuff. A faux pas by Urban, but also a dropped ball by staff (recruiting coordinator, maybe) for not making sure Urban knew who was on campus. Interestingly, OSU is still in the running for the recruit's services at 33%, behind Florida.

Forgetting names happens to everyone, but context is important.

Gal at Starbucks writes the wrong name on your cup? No big deal.
Gal you are with is screaming the wrong name? Problem!

Urban made a mistake, no doubt. But I still think the player's reaction was petty. The player put his ego ahead of his best interests. The player had a chance to play for a great program, with a great coach.
This is the issue with elite recruits, it is ALL EGO and stroking them religiously. The sad state is this is a team game and coaches who fail to strip the egos from the incoming stars, will fail; see Mac Brown from Texas.

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
This is the issue with elite recruits, it is ALL EGO and stroking them religiously. The sad state is this is a team game and coaches who fail to strip the egos from the incoming stars, will fail; see Mac Brown from Texas.
Kid needs to come back down to earth. Blessing in disguise for OSU if he goes someplace place. There's no "i" in team.

The people complaining about "ego" and "coming back down to earth" need to realize that Meyer undercut all the work he'd done during the recruiting process with this kid.

I'm sure Meyer talked a good game, showered the kid with attention, talked about how important he'd be to the team, how they had big plans for him... and then a couple months later, "who are you, again?" In that moment, the reality distortion bubble that Meyer had created around the kid popped... he realized that Meyer was just selling him a bill of goods, that it was all sales pitch with no substance, and that he was really nothing more than a face in the crowd.

Oops.

Now, the kid may still end up at OSU... but he'd be doing it with more open eyes, rather than just having bought the lines Meyer was selling.

Completely agree that this is largely on Meyer's staff keeping him informed about who was on campus, but it's also on Meyer for blowing smoke up this kid's butt and then not being able to recognize him.

As an aside - it must be nice to have so many top commitments that when a 4* kid is on campus you both a) don't know about it, and b) can't recognize him when you run into him.

There's a little more to this than just forgetting his name. He hasn't heard from Meyer since he committed, or it at least had been a long time. If you're feeling like an afterthought before you've even signed away your rights, not the worst thing to open things back up and make sure you're making the right decision.

I'm surprised we don't see more of this at the top schools where they just keep on recruiting stud after stud. Someone needs to be at the back of the line.

The OSU de-commit was obviously not happy with the standard Buckeyes recruit welcome basket:

13124648_1332593710087725_2522646448004692708_n.jpg

GO BLUE!

ADVERTISEMENT