ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 11 WAKE FOREST: Just what the doctored ordered

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Today was a good day to be a Rutgers fan. Wake Forest was the perfect opponent for RU to get back on track....poor defensive team, poor rebounding team, poor ball handling team topped off by shaky psyche after a struggle to beat a cupcake. And it did not matter not one bit that Tyree Appleby somehow played this game after his ankle injury earlier in the week. Rutgers landed enough body blows to go up double digits for most of the game that left the Deacons staggering and then delivered the final haymaker in the later stages of the game to win going away. As and A pluses across the board up and down the roster and for Pikiell and his staff. Could not have scripted it better for everyone to get right on track and bounce back after the Seton Hall debacle

Coach Pikiell came through again and there is no doubt that he can bounce back to from one of his lesser coaching games. The move to press right from the get go to try and disrupt a potentially potent Wake offense from getting too comfortable was genius. Pressuring the inbound, Rutgers got a bunch of steals and easy buckets that reminded of the Bob Wenzel press of the early 90s that seemed to always convert steals into dunks. Wake was clearly not prepared for what they were about to face and Coach Forbes was calling a timeout less than 90 seconds into the game. Rutgers set the tone. Rutgers was going to defend its house and it was going to be the aggressor. It was going to rectify the mistake from the Seton Hall game where it was Rutgers who ended up being harrassed on their own home court. Brought some energy into the RAC crowd which might have been sleepy coming into a noon game off a loss. 8 minutes into the game, RU had 5 steals and was up 10.

That success on defense was giving a spark on offense and RU ended up shooting around 58% in the first half. When Cam was hitting his first couple of shots, you knew he was back on track. Across the board the shots were falling..Paul, Caleb, Andre. Wake was able to chip into the lead by hitting 3s at indordinate rate...6-9 in the first half..some open, some not. But after clawing to within 4, RU turned the jets on with a 12-0 to go up 36-20 and Wake would never get within 10 points the rest of the game. It was a weird game. So many runs by both teams. RU shot so well and defended fairly well but Wake was still shooting 54% and 67% from 3. A 7-0 run to the end half over almost 4 minutes left RUs lead only at 10 but the feeling was that it should be more.

2nd half was more of the same but this time, I think RU was more determined and hungry than in the first half. They were going to be even more aggressive on both ends of the court. Right out of the gate, a Cliff dunk on beautiful ball movement as the shot clock expired. Then back to back 3s by Cam and all of a sudden the lead is up to 16. Wake would try and chip chip away but Appleby would get into foul trouble and actually get pulled. Even as they closed into 12 with about 10 minutes left the game would soon totally slip away. A decisive 6 minute stretch where RU held Wake scoreless, another punishing 11-0 run and RU would force 5 more turnovers as the lead ballooned to 23 at 75-52 and the fat ladies were well on their way to the opera.

This was almost like a perfect game where everyone performed their roles and everyone lived up to their expectations. Seton Hall game showed what happens when the cogs are not in sync. Today showed what happens when they are. Everyone got in the action and it was truly a team win and effort. Individually though Cam had his best and brightest game. Cam was perfect on the day, 15 points, 5-5 fg, 3-3 from 3, 2-2 ft in just 19 minutes (sat for much of the later part of 1st half with foul trouble), 3 assists, 2 steals. This game was just the tonic for him. He was aggressive without forcing his shot. Highlights were the steal on the press and quick layup making them pay and his back to back 3s all on assists by Paul to start the 2nd. I know i have had my doubts about Cam on this level. Wake is not the most physical of teams so I thought Cam could get on track today but it really does quell some fears that he isnt capable of knocking down shots. I thought Mag in just 22 minutes was the key to the defense and him at the top of that press is key. Not flashy numbers..offensively 8 pts on 3-5 but some nice shots were he cleaned up and hit. I really really like how he is coming along. The consistency with him is growing. Cliff while a bit hotheaded today did bounce back and had better postion and played much better D. Wake had nothing inside and it was because of Cliff. 6-9 fg 14 points, 9 boards. 6 turnovers is still an issue that has to be cleaned up but one thing at a time. Hyatt had a very good first half, until a funky last few minutes of that half and was just so so in the 2nd half. Im not big on him taking 10 shots a game. He is very streaky thats for sure. Caleb had a much better game today than vs SHU. He took 11 shots most on the team but I really think all but one were not forced. 13 points, 3 steals, 2 blocks, really tough D. I will take this kind of game from him everynight. Today was the Paul Mulcahy we all know, 7 assists, 3 steals, 10 points in 33 minutes Paul looked for his shots a bit more and gave us his patented Paul scoops under the defender in the 2nd half. Obviously Wake wasnt going to play the same D as SHU and it allowed for Paul to efficiently run that offense, passing and spacing much better.

As for the rest of the bench....Derek came in early and had success right away and that led to Pike being more confident in play him more minutes especially with Cam with some foul trouble in that first half. Derek played a whopping 26 minutes and had 7 points on 3-6 shooting with a beautiful 3 pointer, the kind that can make RU dangerous in the Big 10 if he can consisently hit that. Derek also had a steal and putback on an inbounds early in the first half. Woofolk got 13 minutes and looks like he is clearly overtaking Reibers for minutes on this team at the 5. Made an nice layup under the hoop that kicked off the decisive final RU run when Wake had closed it to 12. Reiber just a few minutes against Wake might be an ominous sign going forward. Jalen Miller couldnt get off the bench til late but was able to get a bucket and Oskar just came in at the end as well.

Overall the team worked hard for this win. When your offense is that rancid on your home court in the previous game, it can be easy to doubt what you have going. The Ohio State loss obviously played a role in the SHU game and they were not able to match that intensity lveld that the Pirates brought in a rivalry game. Perhaps if it had been any team but SHU, RU would have overcome the OSU disappointment. Key to me was defending the homecourt and setting the tone. You have to beat a bad defensive team by being aggressive. I thought when RU settled into the half court in the first half, they got into trouble. Wake was on fire in the first half, I thought our half court D could have been tighter...in the 2nd half it was. Rutgers did all the things they had to do to win while avoid all the mistakes that could make games like this ugly. RU finished out the game getting strong and still playing hard especially on defense. Great sign of this team willing to pulverize the opponent and those margins do count for the NET so a win like this by 24 points is important. I think the fans can bring their confidence level up a bit after today. Yes our offensive production was somewhat a result of a bad Wake defense. On the other hand we are simply not as challenged on offense and will usually not be facing as tough as D as what SHU threw it us.

Also important was finding a win over a power conference school with a pulse.....This truly was a must win. I do not think Wake is headed for post season but there is some talent there. They beat Wisconsin and do have a very good offensive player. If RU did not approach this game the way they did, it could have been alot dicier so good job all around including Pikiell. Now get through these next 2 potential landmines especially Bucknell. Kudos to the crowd today, didnt think we would get there but had over 7K in the building....looks like a regular thing now though I expect for Bucknell it might be our lowest attendance of the year due to time and being the eve of christmas eve.

I thought we played well. Always helps when shots are falling but I liked the ball movement on offense. Defense was very active and WF needs a lot of work against pressure. I thought the refs let them play for the most part and that normally favors the more aggressive team. The stench of the SHU game is gonna linger for awhile but you could not have been expecting a better performance than you got today.

Today was a good day to be a Rutgers fan. Wake Forest was the perfect opponent for RU to get back on track....poor defensive team, poor rebounding team, poor ball handling team topped off by shaky psyche after a struggle to beat a cupcake. And it did not matter not one bit that Tyree Appleby somehow played this game after his ankle injury earlier in the week. Rutgers landed enough body blows to go up double digits for most of the game that left the Deacons staggering and then delivered the final haymaker in the later stages of the game to win going away. As and A pluses across the board up and down the roster and for Pikiell and his staff. Could not have scripted it better for everyone to get right on track and bounce back after the Seton Hall debacle

Coach Pikiell came through again and there is no doubt that he can bounce back to from one of his lesser coaching games. The move to press right from the get go to try and disrupt a potentially potent Wake offense from getting too comfortable was genius. Pressuring the inbound, Rutgers got a bunch of steals and easy buckets that reminded of the Bob Wenzel press of the early 90s that seemed to always convert steals into dunks. Wake was clearly not prepared for what they were about to face and Coach Forbes was calling a timeout less than 90 seconds into the game. Rutgers set the tone. Rutgers was going to defend its house and it was going to be the aggressor. It was going to rectify the mistake from the Seton Hall game where it was Rutgers who ended up being harrassed on their own home court. Brought some energy into the RAC crowd which might have been sleepy coming into a noon game off a loss. 8 minutes into the game, RU had 5 steals and was up 10.

That success on defense was giving a spark on offense and RU ended up shooting around 58% in the first half. When Cam was hitting his first couple of shots, you knew he was back on track. Across the board the shots were falling..Paul, Caleb, Andre. Wake was able to chip into the lead by hitting 3s at indordinate rate...6-9 in the first half..some open, some not. But after clawing to within 4, RU turned the jets on with a 12-0 to go up 36-20 and Wake would never get within 10 points the rest of the game. It was a weird game. So many runs by both teams. RU shot so well and defended fairly well but Wake was still shooting 54% and 67% from 3. A 7-0 run to the end half over almost 4 minutes left RUs lead only at 10 but the feeling was that it should be more.

2nd half was more of the same but this time, I think RU was more determined and hungry than in the first half. They were going to be even more aggressive on both ends of the court. Right out of the gate, a Cliff dunk on beautiful ball movement as the shot clock expired. Then back to back 3s by Cam and all of a sudden the lead is up to 16. Wake would try and chip chip away but Appleby would get into foul trouble and actually get pulled. Even as they closed into 12 with about 10 minutes left the game would soon totally slip away. A decisive 6 minute stretch where RU held Wake scoreless, another punishing 11-0 run and RU would force 5 more turnovers as the lead ballooned to 23 at 75-52 and the fat ladies were well on their way to the opera.

This was almost like a perfect game where everyone performed their roles and everyone lived up to their expectations. Seton Hall game showed what happens when the cogs are not in sync. Today showed what happens when they are. Everyone got in the action and it was truly a team win and effort. Individually though Cam had his best and brightest game. Cam was perfect on the day, 15 points, 5-5 fg, 3-3 from 3, 2-2 ft in just 19 minutes (sat for much of the later part of 1st half with foul trouble), 3 assists, 2 steals. This game was just the tonic for him. He was aggressive without forcing his shot. Highlights were the steal on the press and quick layup making them pay and his back to back 3s all on assists by Paul to start the 2nd. I know i have had my doubts about Cam on this level. Wake is not the most physical of teams so I thought Cam could get on track today but it really does quell some fears that he isnt capable of knocking down shots. I thought Mag in just 22 minutes was the key to the defense and him at the top of that press is key. Not flashy numbers..offensively 8 pts on 3-5 but some nice shots were he cleaned up and hit. I really really like how he is coming along. The consistency with him is growing. Cliff while a bit hotheaded today did bounce back and had better postion and played much better D. Wake had nothing inside and it was because of Cliff. 6-9 fg 14 points, 9 boards. 6 turnovers is still an issue that has to be cleaned up but one thing at a time. Hyatt had a very good first half, until a funky last few minutes of that half and was just so so in the 2nd half. Im not big on him taking 10 shots a game. He is very streaky thats for sure. Caleb had a much better game today than vs SHU. He took 11 shots most on the team but I really think all but one were not forced. 13 points, 3 steals, 2 blocks, really tough D. I will take this kind of game from him everynight. Today was the Paul Mulcahy we all know, 7 assists, 3 steals, 10 points in 33 minutes Paul looked for his shots a bit more and gave us his patented Paul scoops under the defender in the 2nd half. Obviously Wake wasnt going to play the same D as SHU and it allowed for Paul to efficiently run that offense, passing and spacing much better.

As for the rest of the bench....Derek came in early and had success right away and that led to Pike being more confident in play him more minutes especially with Cam with some foul trouble in that first half. Derek played a whopping 26 minutes and had 7 points on 3-6 shooting with a beautiful 3 pointer, the kind that can make RU dangerous in the Big 10 if he can consisently hit that. Derek also had a steal and putback on an inbounds early in the first half. Woofolk got 13 minutes and looks like he is clearly overtaking Reibers for minutes on this team at the 5. Made an nice layup under the hoop that kicked off the decisive final RU run when Wake had closed it to 12. Reiber just a few minutes against Wake might be an ominous sign going forward. Jalen Miller couldnt get off the bench til late but was able to get a bucket and Oskar just came in at the end as well.

Overall the team worked hard for this win. When your offense is that rancid on your home court in the previous game, it can be easy to doubt what you have going. The Ohio State loss obviously played a role in the SHU game and they were not able to match that intensity lveld that the Pirates brought in a rivalry game. Perhaps if it had been any team but SHU, RU would have overcome the OSU disappointment. Key to me was defending the homecourt and setting the tone. You have to beat a bad defensive team by being aggressive. I thought when RU settled into the half court in the first half, they got into trouble. Wake was on fire in the first half, I thought our half court D could have been tighter...in the 2nd half it was. Rutgers did all the things they had to do to win while avoid all the mistakes that could make games like this ugly. RU finished out the game getting strong and still playing hard especially on defense. Great sign of this team willing to pulverize the opponent and those margins do count for the NET so a win like this by 24 points is important. I think the fans can bring their confidence level up a bit after today. Yes our offensive production was somewhat a result of a bad Wake defense. On the other hand we are simply not as challenged on offense and will usually not be facing as tough as D as what SHU threw it us.

Also important was finding a win over a power conference school with a pulse.....This truly was a must win. I do not think Wake is headed for post season but there is some talent there. They beat Wisconsin and do have a very good offensive player. If RU did not approach this game the way they did, it could have been alot dicier so good job all around including Pikiell. Now get through these next 2 potential landmines especially Bucknell. Kudos to the crowd today, didnt think we would get there but had over 7K in the building....looks like a regular thing now though I expect for Bucknell it might be our lowest attendance of the year due to time and being the eve of christmas eve.

Good stuff bac. Also happy to see Paul using those slick pivot moves to get under the hoop
- that’s the Mulcahy we all know.

Excellent review by BAC.

Lots of odd stats in this game.

Not only did Wake shoot 42% from three but they made 10 of them and still lost by 24. Thought Monsanto best opposition shooter I have seen at the RAC since D’Angelo Russell.

RU turned over the ball 16 times and won by 24!

Foul shooting wasn’t great today. Hyatt has been improving so much. Can’t miss 4 in a row.

Cliff is such a warrior so hard to criticize but some of his fouls just aren’t smart. Has to be smarter.

Spencer turned the game around. Kudos. Best overall game of his. He had a nice game against OSU too. So doing it against Power Conference schools.

Coach said Paul had plus 37!! Incredible.

Everybody had moments. Caleb usual solid self. Mag and Hyatt did their thing. Simpson three was crucial. Even Miller had a pretty move.

Just a great win and team effort. Team gets to rest again. Truly was what the doctor ordered indeed. Well done!

We played really well and making shots is a big part of that:

--The opening of Bac's report about WF--"poor defensive team, poor rebounding team, poor ball handling team topped off by shaky psyche after a struggle to beat a cupcake".--was too negative I thought and put a dimmer on all the good which followed; pretty much agree with all else;
--WF's final three point percentage was misleading as they had no choice but to put them up in the final five minutes. With the game still in the balance they were 8/13--some open, some well contested;
--except for those open three's our D was terrific full- and half-court;
--can't rate WF's defense by our 81 points since 26 of those were points off of turnovers;
--Cliff's rebounding in traffic was very strong;
--Cliff's 6 TOs the one negative from the game;
--Nice to have Cam and Derek available to give us 40+ solid minutes;
--Wolfe continues to impress;
--Would like to see a few fewer shots from Caleb.

All in all, I'd grade this one an "A."

Reactions: Scangg and goru7
I guess the “SLOW” guys did ok today!!!!
Good thing it’s basketball and not a 60 yard dash!!!!

Reactions: goru7
Great blowout win despite too many turnovers against a weak defensive team and too many fade aways...again(with more than 10 on shot clock).

Here's the good box score

Paul +37, Mag +30, Caleb +23
Paul on the floor, 32:35, 74-37, 7:25 off, 7-20, 😯😮
Leave Paul on the floor for 40, we will never lose.

We will have our own Monsanto, 6-12 from 3, next year in Gavin Griffiths, he shoots 3s at that kind of rate and makes.

Last edited:
I was getting so irritated while watching Wake make so many difficult or contested 3's. I was glad to see the numbers balance out a bit in the end. Pretty much the only reason it stayed close in the first 30 minutes was because of these makes. We would have won by 30+ easily if they were off today.

Also, the dude with the driving elbows on Wake was ridiculous. Every time he drove on someone he was leading with his elbows, smashing into people to clear out space. He could have gotten called for 3-4 fouls in the first half alone.

With all that considered, this was a great game to be a fan of Rutgers. Now we just gotta finish out the OOC without anymore losses. 3 losses OOC or conference is about what I was expecting. Hoped for 2 or less though.

I thought we played well. Always helps when shots are falling but I liked the ball movement on offense. Defense was very active and WF needs a lot of work against pressure. I thought the refs let them play for the most part and that normally favors the more aggressive team. The stench of the SHU game is gonna linger for awhile but you could not have been expecting a better performance than you got today.
Taking a few days off from the board will do wonders for your mental state. It's what I did, and the SHU game is long gone.

I forgot Bobbi Klintman ended up at Wake. Wonder if Oskar will be talking shit to him in Swedish after this one.

Reactions: Scangg
Anybody else look at the scoreboard in the 1St half when he had 43 points and thought that was the amount we scored in the entire game vs SHU
The Hyatt 4 on 1 three looked like the Caleb 3 against SHU. Lol! I know it’s the modern game but burned both times and significant swings. I know I’m nit picking but teachable moments.

The Hyatt 4 on 1 three looked like the Caleb 3 against SHU. Lol! I know it’s the modern game but burned both times and significant swings. I know I’m nit picking but teachable moments.
Yep, that was annoying - easy basket underneath missed. Very little to complain about today, though, which was nice.

Bac-

Great recap. I agree about everything, including Hyatt taking too many shots! 😉

Wakes 3 point shooting plus our TOs and still a 20+ point victory is insane. This team can be very very good. When we are on, we consistently go on these crazy runs where we shut teams down for an extended period. Those runs are back breaking and mentally destructive for the opposition

What happened to "Just what I needed"....lol

Great write up as always !

My thoughts on game:

- Everyone on team played well and in control.
- Was a game that I always felt we were in complete control
- Some telling +/ - stats: Mag +30 / Cliff +16 / Paul +37 / Caleb +23 / Cam +5 / Derek - 1 / Hyatt - 2 / Woolfolk +12
- I believe Cliff is hampered by a right leg injury that is limiting his flexibility and ability to jump. You can see all of the padding around his right thigh / leg etc
- Team came out spirited with a desire to win
- Team shared ball; moved ball and shot more selfishly which was good.
- Not one critical comment for me to talk about as team played very well; in control and on both ends of the court.

Did anyone notice Hyatt walking off gingerly near the end of the game and then rubbing his knee - hopefully nothing, but don't want any new injuries.

Yes hurt his ankle with a minute to go why was anyone on the court then!!’
Yeah, we were wondering why we didn't sub out with 3-4 minutes to go, both to avoid injury and to give the subs a chance at some real hoops (the last minute really isn't worth much, although Jalen Miller's drive was great).

After SHU game I was calling for more Wolffolk and Derrick, and we got both of those today. Very positive to see Pike make big coaching adjustments.

Mag 2 fast breaks 0 charges also a great coaching adjustment

At 18-8 in first half Pike made a bad sub, took out both Paul and Caleb - we had no leadership on the floor I called it immediately when the subs were made, I love Derrick and Cam but not the guys yet to take over control - and wake closed it to 18-16 in like 1 minute. Pike immediately put Paul back in and we pushed the lead back out

Reactions: DirtyRU and Scangg
This game should remind everyone of our capabilities when we play a complete game. With the exception of the ridiculous ly high number of turnovers , we play like this and we can beat any team in the country. This team is capable of winning the BIG 10 and making a real run in the dance. F the refs and F Ohio state.
Great balanced scoring with everyone who saw action on the floor tonight had some good to great moments. Despite the great shooting by Monsanto who was terrific today , our defense , defensive intensity , jumping in the passing lanes , tremendous traps and harassing press causing turnovers is super elite. Not just good but maybe great. Maybe the best in the country and clearly the best since Pike arrived and made defense his calling card.

Today we decided to shoot the ball and when you shoot with confidence and do not hesitate you make shots. We lost to Seton Hall because we didn’t shoot the ball . A ridiculous 43 shots in 40 minutes. People lament we do not have a go to assassin to take the big shot when we need a bucket but we have at least 5 viable options if the floor is spaced properly and the ball is moved and the screens are set that can get us a big bucket and today was proof. BAC did a great job detailing each individual performance and no need to repeat. But each of our guys Paul, Caleb , Cam , Derek , Mawot, Aundre , and Cliff are capable and have shown how offensively they have to contribute. . There should be no more 3 point games from any one of them. One way you insure that is that the ridiculous unforced turnovers have to stop. 15 more turnovers today taking away 15 more potential shots and points from our guys. We have to somehow get our turnovers under 10 and hopefully less. Moving screens and charges are turnovers and those are things that can be coached better and can be eliminated.
Our rebounding is much better than last year and also allows us to compete with anyone on the glass. Pike ‘s blueprint of defense and rebounding has us witnessing one being elite and one being very good. Today showed what moving the ball without excess dribbling can do to make each of our player’s an offensive threat. It was really beautiful and every time Wake attempted to cut the lead from 20 or 15 down , we ran great stuff and got a layup or an open look or a foul that got us to the line. If your a Rutgers basketball fan you have to feel really good about where this team is going. Disappointed in some of the losses but really confident that home or away we have a chance to win every game.

Yes hurt his ankle with a minute to go why was anyone on the court then!!’

Yeah, we were wondering why we didn't sub out with 3-4 minutes to go, both to avoid injury and to give the subs a chance at some real hoops (the last minute really isn't worth much, although Jalen Miller's drive was great).
The situation with the NET being Kenpom lite is that these points all matter, even when you're up 25. Not sure if the coaching staff is thinking that, but I sure am. There is now incentive to run up the score.

After SHU game I was calling for more Wolffolk and Derrick, and we got both of those today. Very positive to see Pike make big coaching adjustments.

Mag 2 fast breaks 0 charges also a great coaching adjustment

At 18-8 in first half Pike made a bad sub, took out both Paul and Caleb - we had no leadership on the floor I called it immediately when the subs were made, I love Derrick and Cam but not the guys yet to take over control - and wake closed it to 18-16 in like 1 minute. Pike immediately put Paul back in and we pushed the lead back out
Mag also with the excellent stop and bounce pass layup on the break. He is playing more under control and it's great to see him develop in that area

Excellent recap again Bac.

We need everyone to play well, but Paul is definitely the most important player on the team. We need him to play well to win. That 5 game stretch last year was so outstanding.

Let's hope that he can be the leader that we need.

Best of Luck.,
Groz

Watching the game after being in the RAC.....and in general for the most recent 5 games.

A) Turnovers for the most part are because of overpassing OR not taking available shots. There is a trend where Cam Spencer multiple times in a game, will be chased off the 3 point line, he makes the right play and drives towards the paint and either runs over his defender (1st half) OR instead of just taking the 2 pointer, forces a pass into traffic.

He is giving the ball to Cliff at a time when Cliff isn't looking for a pass and should shoot the ball. If he shoots the ball and misses, that's fine.....OR he could get fouled and make 2 FTS ot if we miss, we can get the offensive rebound.....while 5-5 and 15 points is great, he still turns down 3 to 4 shots a game and half of them result in turnovers. Spencer stat line should have probably read 8 of 10 from the floor with 20+ points.

B) The offense runs better when Cliff isn't on the floor......WAIT.....!! I am not saying RU is better off when Cliff isn't playing. What I am saying is from a movement of the ball, when Woolfork is in, the offense looks much more in flow.

The offense is actually giving Cliff ample opportunities to learn on the fly on how to play offense and how to give him "trial by fire". Cliff is still learning how to play offense, but it can be hit or miss, depending on the caliber of opposing defense or defender. Cliff has to learn more patience on offense, it seems to be in a hurry, sometimes it works, sometimes it results in turnovers or choppy possessions. It is getting better, but this is truly "Year 1", where he is the 1st or 2nd option after Geo and RHJ departed. So it's to be expected.

C) RU got transition basket, steals and layups that kinda masked the 16 turnovers on offense. Getting to a 24 point win, when you don't play lights out (I didn't agree that this was an "A" performance), is a good sign.

D) Coaching......the coaching gets a bad rap by fans.....I don't quite understand it, in reality. This team is going to struggle with perimeter defense for a lot of the B1G season that awaits BUT the team leads in a LOT of defensive categories. Part of that is Caleb, part Cliff....a LOT of Mag and scouting, coaching and preparation.

The staff really understands what this roster can do well and how to disguise what it cannot.

Holding Wake to 57, despite them hitting some tough 3s, is excellent. It's a formula that travels on the road.

Can Pike get Cam Spencer to take available 2s when they're there and not overpass???

Will Pike stick with playing Derek Simpson 25 minutes a game, even if his frosh play can be carried by a lot of veterans or Simpson makes frosh/underclassmen mistakes?

How do you continue to squeeze 18 PPG out of a combination of Mag and Hyatt, if Spencer isn't taking 9 to 11 shots per game?? People keep saying Hyatts 10 shots aren't ideal.....I don't agree.

I didn't see anything out of Hyatt I wouldn't want to see from Cam Spencer or Derek Simpson or Caleb....the 4 on 1 Hyatt 3...?? So what.....if Spencer takes that uncontested 3, I welcome that, because shooters shoot.

There's lots to clean up after winning by 24 IMO. But the Simpson minutes is "I hope" resolved as one huge item.....its simply a "must have" in order for this year's team to make noise and beyond this year as well.. Will Pike stick to this minute distribution, is the question.

Last edited:
Agree with everything NJH says to expand on coaching…in game Pike coaches his butt off defensively. Constantly changing defenses and never letting offenses figure things out. Plus he is very cognizant of how many team fouls we have and does not want points at the FT line.

One thing over looked. It is very difficult to have players start a half court possession in zone and in the middle change to man. Especially difficult on the road. Most teams would NEVER do it. From the offense perspective you see zone and run your zone stuff and then all of a sudden you a running zone offense against man to man defense.

The NET ranking takes into account margin of victory, so I suspect Pike left the starters in to ensure we got the 20 point win.

If Wake didn't turn the ball over so much and wasn't burying 3s, those 2 things kinda canceled each other out. Wake (minus turnovers amd hitting 3s) was able to win at Wisconsin but lost badly at Clemson.

I really need to see a 10 turnover game from RU and good defense at the same time.

The situation with the NET being Kenpom lite is that these points all matter, even when you're up 25. Not sure if the coaching staff is thinking that, but I sure am. There is now incentive to run up the score.
After last year with all the NET crap, have no problem although an injury during garbage time would be devastating. Glad basically a week off again to get healthy.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
The NET ranking takes into account margin of victory, so I suspect Pike left the starters in to ensure we got the 20 point win.
Margin of victory is capped at 10 points, I believe. Leaving the starters in, though, improves your overall offensive and defensive efficiency, which is captured in the NET formula.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT