ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 12 BUCKNELL: Taking Care of Business

Spencer didn't take a shot until at least 8 minues in the first half.Cliff and Caleb took most of the shots.Rutgers will need 3 point shooting against B1G Ten teams because inside scoring will be stifled against bigger and more talented players.Hopefully, the full court press will cause turnovers and fast break baskets.
So your complaining about Caleb and Cliff taking th shots and having a great first half. You normally complain about Rutgers not scoring 65 or 70. Well Wake and Bucknell got us to 81 and 85 without great 3 point shooting. We did have really good shooting period 59% and 49 % and great foul shooting , which I would tell you is even more important than 3 point shooting . Stop you repetitive narratives that look ridiculous when they do not pan out. Every game is different , home different than road , there is no set formula. Our elite defense will give us a chance to win every remaining game. Enjoy this team since it appears we have something special that we have not see in a long time.

Need to keep things in perspective. Good title for the thread since that is indeed what we did against a clearly inferior opponent. Yes the bench pieces seem to fit better this year but the bar was not that high. A little surprised Woofolk only gets 9 minutes in a 35 point victory when we were in control the whole game. Not sure how anyone can have a credible take that we are a second weekend NCAA team off a W like this. I guess we could be but boy that seems like a premature take to me. We will know soon enough what we have. Love our defense but still not sure we will score enough in conference to be a NCAA tournament team.
Get real. We have an elite defense that is # 3 in the country not just a run of the mill good defense . We have a Press we have not seen since the Final Four team. We are now getting healthy . Our offense and shooting and foul shooting is pretty good and not a red flag. 3 point shooting although we have a number of guys who can shoot it okay has not materialized yet. There will not be any nightmare matchups against Us because of how versatile our roster is. I like our chances to finish at the top of the BIG 10 which will likely assure us a higher seed and much better odds of getting to the Sweet16 and Beyond. You love to mention that we doing this to an inferior opponent. We have demolished every inferior opponent mostly by 30 points . When is the last time a Rutgers team or any team in the country done that ? Looks like you need to get perspective.

So your complaining about Caleb and Cliff taking th shots and having a great first half. You normally complain about Rutgers not scoring 65 or 70. Well Wake and Bucknell got us to 81 and 85 without great 3 point shooting. We did have really good shooting period 59% and 49 % and great foul shooting , which I would tell you is even more important than 3 point shooting . Stop you repetitive narratives that look ridiculous when they do not pan out. Every game is different , home different than road , there is no set formula. Our elite defense will give us a chance to win every remaining game. Enjoy this team since it appears we have something special that we have not see in a long time.
The best Rutgers teams in history were pressing teams. Maybe this will become another

Get real. We have an elite defense that is # 3 in the country not just a run of the mill good defense . We have a Press we have not seen since the Final Four team. We are now getting healthy . Our offense and shooting and foul shooting is pretty good and not a red flag. 3 point shooting although we have a number of guys who can shoot it okay has not materialized yet. There will not be any nightmare matchups against Us because of how versatile our roster is. I like our chances to finish at the top of the BIG 10 which will likely assure us a higher seed and much better odds of getting to the Sweet16 and Beyond. You love to mention that we doing this to an inferior opponent. We have demolished every inferior opponent mostly by 30 points . When is the last time a Rutgers team or any team in the country done that ? Looks like you need to get perspective.
I need to get real.? I complemented the defense and you feel good that we are going to win the conference. Pump the brakes!

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Two - Three points tonite. 2 extremely positive and one no so good.
1) Turnovers. -3. Incredibly good as we have been putting up 12-15 last 5 games and almost 10 by halftime. Such a pleasure when the ball is passed , a decision is made and either a pass or a shot for a bucket. No endless dribbling and overpassing. Bottle this formula going forward.
2). BAC highlighted it in his post but deserves another shout out. This team does not give the cupcakes any thought that they can be in the game. Dominant 38,40,40 , 35 and 34 point wins with another 24 spot against Wake. So damn impressive especially since every year during the holidays either Thanksgiving and Christmas and especially last year Pike ‘s team has really struggled with the cupcakes , giving them life and they stayed in a game . Not this team. Dominance from the opening tip to the 4 minute mark. Damn impressive. Big things ahead for this team.
3) Now the not so good 3-15 from 3. More curious is Cam. He was 1-5 again. Every miss is short just hitting front rim. Similar in losses to Temple and Miami . He never back rims it so it appears it is a slight adjustment with his legs to either elevate slightly more or follow thru a little more. I do not think it has nothing to do with the competition level because it has happened against bad teams and some decent teams. If he gets it going , we could go a long way and I do not think he is far away from going off consistently.
Agree, especially your take on Cam.

Helps when your opponent doesn’t put pressure on the ball and you set good back screens.
On the bright side - we may not be a good shooting team, but it doesn’t look like stacking the box would be an effective strategy to shut us down. Caleb and Paul are just way too comfortable navigating the offense without deliberate on ball pressure.

Spencer didn't take a shot until at least 8 minues in the first half.Cliff and Caleb took most of the shots.Rutgers will need 3 point shooting against B1G Ten teams because inside scoring will be stifled against bigger and more talented players.Hopefully, the full court press will cause turnovers and fast break baskets.
Shot selection is based on what the defense gives you. Caleb only missed one shot attempt in the whole first half. Cliff slammed home the offensive rebound on that miss for the put back.

I said weeks ago that this team was better than last year because they share the ball, rebound much better and play much better D.

Well we have played other games as well
The defense is really good. Only Temple has broken 70 so far and that was without Caleb. Can’t really take anything away from that game about our team without him and Paul.

The offense has been “good enough” in every game except Seton Hall where we laid a relative egg. We haven’t been as bad offensively in any other game - not even Temple. We were good enough to beat OSU - the refs messed that up.

We lost the Miami game - not because we couldn’t find enough offense - but because down the stretch it was simply too much to ask of Caleb in his first real game back from injury (CC doesn’t really count) to not only play 35 minutes and maintain his defensive intensity but also run the point the whole time. His 5 turnovers in the game reflect this as does us blowing a double digit lead with under 13 minutes to go in the game.

The defense is really good. Only Temple has broken 70 so far and that was without Caleb. Can’t really take anything away from that game about our team without him and Paul.

The offense has been “good enough” in every game except Seton Hall where we laid a relative egg. We haven’t been as bad offensively in any other game - not even Temple. We were good enough to beat OSU - the refs messed that up.

We lost the Miami game - not because we couldn’t find enough offense - but because down the stretch it was simply too much to ask of Caleb in his first real game back from injury (CC doesn’t really count) to not only play 35 minutes and maintain his defensive intensity but also run the point the whole time. His 5 turnovers in the game reflect this as does us blowing a double digit lead with under 13 minutes to go in the game.
I beg to differ about the offense against Temple, We were bad particularly in the first half. Outside of perhaps Purdue, there seems to be a lot of parity in the conference this year. I think we have a chance to have a good season and possibly make the tournament but so do a lot of other teams. Defense travels well so we should be in most games.

Reactions: mugrat86
I beg to differ about the offense against Temple, We were bad particularly in the first half. Outside of perhaps Purdue, there seems to be a lot of parity in the conference this year. I think we have a chance to have a good season and possibly make the tournament but so do a lot of other teams. Defense travels well so we should be in most games.
That’s why there are two halves in a game. 66 points would have been more than enough offense in that game with Caleb playing defense or even just without us gifting them a bunch of early baskets off on turnovers.

I thing I did notice from the game and no one has brought up. The last offensive possession of the 1st half. We saw something very familiar. Was @Geo_Baker_1 at practice working with his number sake on a certain signature move?

Our offense was horrific vs Miami the last 8 minutes

5 points in 8 minutes..2fgs and no shot attempts from Cliff

From game to game I change who I’m more impressed with: Derek or Woolf.
It’s ok to be impressed with both at the same time. It’s nice knowing we don’t lose much when they enter the game. Pleasure watching they grow game by game. They will be vital come tournament time.

Our offense was horrific vs Miami the last 8 minutes

5 points in 8 minutes..2fgs and no shot attempts from Cliff

Watching it live, it seemed to me that we ran out of gas on both ends. Caleb was navigating the ship that got us the lead that we blew (he did a pretty good job considering he hadn’t played much point in years and was still finding his legs). But
the kid just didn’t have enough in the tank yet to see it through for 35 minutes.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
ADVERTISEMENT