ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 13 Coppin State: We're Ready

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
No need to talk much about the Coppin State game. This one was over in the first few minutes. I will keep this brief and to the point. The non conference slate is now over. RU suffered some bumps and bruises early on with injuries contributing to losses to Temple and Miami. Bounced back in a rousing way vs Big 10 preseason fave Indiana. Then, RU had a game stolen from them at Ohio State, the aftertaste of which left them with a rancid offensive performance vs SHU at the RAC. Yet onward and upward, the Knights responded by blowing out Wake Forest and demolishing the final two cupcakes. Finishing the non conference slate at 8-3 and running up margins of victory of 40, 38, 30, 34, 35, 33 the Knights not only took care of every cupcakes they swallowed them whole and and still look like they are hungry.

Beating #1 Purdue at Mackey Arena would provide the tastiest morsel of all not only for a program looking to cement itself as a regular NCAA participant but for a fanbase that starting to ask "Why Not Rutgers?" when it comes to talking about Big 10 title contenders. Even though RU as well as the rest of the Big 10 has played a couple of conference games already, there is something about that first league game of the new year and those first few games in January which will come fast and furious....3 games for RU in just 7 days. It all starts with Purdue and circles back to the RAC for tilts with Maryland and Iowa. A fully healthy RU squad starting to move the bus using all cylinders playing the best consistent defense of anyone in the country will be a fun watch. Perhaps the highest ceiling of any RU basketball since the 70s, RU Ready, We're Ready, We're Ready for More.....

You and I We'll find a reason To simplify a change of season And I feel like it's time we were off on our way We can go so much farther than we've come today Holdin' on girl and come what may Come what may We're ready! C'mon We can find a way We're ready now Catchin' a wave to ride on Steady now headin' where we decide on And I know that there's something that's just out of sight And I feel like we're trying to do something right Come on make it if we hold on tight Hold on tight We're Ready! C'mon We're ready We're ready We're ready, 1...2...3...4... We can find a way. We're ready now, oooh we're ready now. We're ready now.

The game was remarkable in another way. Coppin State only recorded one offensive rebound. Is this a record either for the teams involved or more broadly? And they missed plenty of damn shots providing ample opportunities. They didn’t even try to make rebounds on the offensive side. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Reactions: DirtyRU and Scangg
Things that stand out to me:

30 assists

49 rebounds, 14 offensive. They played 5 guards so we should dominate the glass, but sometimes quick guards get to balls faster especially with the court opened up by 5 perimeter players on the court. We got the job done.

Mag’s man defense for me was the best he has defended at Rutgers. We all like his motor especially at the point of a trapping press. In the past his man defending was frantic and would give the effort but wasn’t always effective. This game he was great in his man defending. This impressed me most as he was guarding smaller quick guards throughout. He constantly beat them to spots all night. Not falling for any moves they put on. Defending at its best.

In terms of Wake, Bucknell and Coppin State, there are signs of a more defined rotation or minute distribution that I believe in, when it's spread out like these 3 games.

When you have not too many minutes for the starters and find 18 minutes for Hyatt, 21 for Simpson and a big 16 minutes for Woolfork, it makes me feel as comfortable that we will get something off the bench. I am not sure which 2 of the 3 are going to click off the bench, because any of the 3 could not play as much, but it looks like it's set.

Simpson with 6 points and 6 assists looks very modest, but the passes to find Spencer after some explosive and perhaps a little off-script, helps break tendencies we have.

I already am sold on Hyatt being capable of 12 and 7 if he played 25 minutes, but if it's a few less and RU is getting better, so be it. Didn't shoot is well, but has some hops back in him with the dunks and rebounds. When you go on the road, you'll likely want to have some more experience and ability to score on the court.

Then it comes down to Mr Woolfolk. It would be easy to say that it's the opponent or lack of strength that the opponents have, that aided his better play.

But, in reality, he is so fundamentally sound, it looks like he can score against Wake, OSU or Coppin State and it looks the same. His footwork is so relaxed and in place, that he could probably make some postups vs Purdue, if Edey isn't on the floor.

The defense is connected and that travels.....will the bench play well at Mackey, at Northwestern, at Michigan State in January?? I have no idea who will play well, but as long as Pike plays these at least 2 of these 3 double figure minutes (depending on how the game flow dictates), RU should hang around most nights against everyone.

Are there some concerns about whether this team has enough scoring?? Absolutely

When you are counting on defense/rebounding, which are essential on the road, you will have to be sharper on offense than what we have seen in spurts.

BUT.....I actually feel like RU has more variables to score and anyone is capable of having a 12 to 14 point game, vs absolutely having to wait for RHJ and Geo to take those shots, while the opponents defense keyed on those 2.

I guess if you are scouting RU, you could scout and stay attached to Cam Spencer, hoping to stop him. But he's an aware player and can pass.

If you want to crowd Cliff, he is improving at getting the ball moving.....and not just relying on lobs and dunks. He can draw fouls, which stop the opponent from scoring runs.

Add in Caleb, Mulcahy and Mag and all 3 can find ways to score.

As long as we avoid trying to playmake along the baseline with our guards, we should be in position on defense when we miss shots.

Purdue will really come down to Mulcahy moving the ball and being a spot up shooter and the bench coming in and giving quality minutes. I think we see both and we have a good game Monday night.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. Brought my 5 year old son tonight to his first RU bball game. We sat in 114. He had an absolutely blast. At 6 pm we decided to see if there were any tickets and we snatched them up.

I like the minutes distribution, but I think there is a significant drop off when he uses the bench. I think he (pike) has to stay disciplined, but it will be very hard to do.

Simpson really needs to clean up the mistakes, and fast. Twice he got away with assists when he left his feet to make a pass. That doesn’t work against good teams. I also thought we were past trying to dunk over people.

The starting 5 are really in sync (except for stretch starting 2nd half).

If you look at the raw numbers this game was no different than most. Offenensively we were below average, but good enough to win (vs real competition). Defensively we were elite.

I know we scored 90 and we stopped scoring in garbage time, but this was a terrible defensive team and there was a whopping 78 possessions.

Defense was very good. Coppin state thought they could score by starting 5 guards. That didn’t go well.

Reactions: Rutgers25
The game was remarkable in another way. Coppin State only recorded one offensive rebound. Is this a record either for the teams involved or more broadly? And they missed plenty of damn shots providing ample opportunities. They didn’t even try to make rebounds on the offensive side. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Imagine if Sessoms didn't transfer there? They'd be the worst team in Division 1. The last ten minutes was hilariously bad with them jacking up 3s.

First Coppin State shot of the game, RU fouled a 3-point effort, Juan Dixon pulled his team over to talk to them and left only the shooter at the foul line for all 3 shots....I know Coppin State was a small team but at that point it looked like they had already conceded no offensive boards.

Reactions: DirtyRU
No need to talk much about the Coppin State game. This one was over in the first few minutes. I will keep this brief and to the point. The non conference slate is now over. RU suffered some bumps and bruises early on with injuries contributing to losses to Temple and Miami. Bounced back in a rousing way vs Big 10 preseason fave Indiana. Then, RU had a game stolen from them at Ohio State, the aftertaste of which left them with a rancid offensive performance vs SHU at the RAC. Yet onward and upward, the Knights responded by blowing out Wake Forest and demolishing the final two cupcakes. Finishing the non conference slate at 8-3 and running up margins of victory of 40, 38, 30, 34, 35, 33 the Knights not only took care of every cupcakes they swallowed them whole and and still look like they are hungry.

Beating #1 Purdue at Mackey Arena would provide the tastiest morsel of all not only for a program looking to cement itself as a regular NCAA participant but for a fanbase that starting to ask "Why Not Rutgers?" when it comes to talking about Big 10 title contenders. Even though RU as well as the rest of the Big 10 has played a couple of conference games already, there is something about that first league game of the new year and those first few games in January which will come fast and furious....3 games for RU in just 7 days. It all starts with Purdue and circles back to the RAC for tilts with Maryland and Iowa. A fully healthy RU squad starting to move the bus using all cylinders playing the best consistent defense of anyone in the country will be a fun watch. Perhaps the highest ceiling of any RU basketball since the 70s, RU Ready, We're Ready, We're Ready for More.....

You and I We'll find a reason To simplify a change of season And I feel like it's time we were off on our way We can go so much farther than we've come today Holdin' on girl and come what may Come what may We're ready! C'mon We can find a way We're ready now Catchin' a wave to ride on Steady now headin' where we decide on And I know that there's something that's just out of sight And I feel like we're trying to do something right Come on make it if we hold on tight Hold on tight We're Ready! C'mon We're ready We're ready We're ready, 1...2...3...4... We can find a way. We're ready now, oooh we're ready now. We're ready now.

One of the unsung key players for Rutgers has been Mawat Mag. His energy and aggressiveness on defense has been a major reason why Rutgers team defense has been outstanding. He rebounds and gets his garbage points and occasional intermediate shot. If he could expand his range and show a little more on offense he could be really good.

Very hard to ignore the quality of the competition when assessing the performance. You are not going to get away with a lot of what we did last night against Purdue. I like the rotation. While I still think there are five combinations we can't have on the floor for very long to avoid scoring droughts, there is some offensive development going on. That needs to continue as the comp gets tougher.

Monday will be a good test to see where we are at. Cliff needs to stay out of foul trouble and perhaps try to move Edey away from the basket by hitting a couple of 15 foot shots. We need to find ways to get Spencer open for shots. Still not sure how hard he is for a good defensive team to take out. There needs to be designed plays to run him off screens. Purdue runs a lot of off ball screens in that manner. Ball movement will be a key.

As others said, defense normally travels. Purdue runs a lot of motion and we need to guard the whole possession. We need to retain our composure when Purdue goes on a run and try to limit them to one opportunity. Guys need to remember their roles and not try to do too much individually. While we should look for transition baskets off misses , we need to keep this game in the 60s to have better shot at winning.

Assuming Mackey will be packed regardless of whether the classes are in session in West Lafayette. Should be fun. If we can be within 5-7 points of the lead at that the last 4. minute TV TO, we certainly will have shot.

My thoughts on game:

- This game was like Globetrotters vs Washington Generals

- What was Sam Sessoms thinking going to Coppin State? Or did he get some serious coin.

- Thank goodness no one got hurt.
I was worried about injuries too. When a team like Coppin State is just playing a 5 guard, street ball type of game things can get a little out of control. I'm glad that it all worked out.

I can't wait to see Derek Simpson develop in between seasons. As he gets stronger and the game slows down for him, I think he's going to be unreal for us. His passing was really good today thought. He'll be a scorer/passer type we haven't had in a LONG time.

Reactions: Antnee79 and Scangg
Spencer is the key player going forward because of the 3 point shot.B1G Ten opponents will limit Cliff dunks and points around the basket.The need will be for outside shooting.There needs to be more plays for Spencer to take shots around the 3 point line and on screens closer to the basket.Caleb and Paul will need to show leadership by making shots at crunch time.The strength of the team is defense.Long scoring droughts must be limited especially on the road,Full court press must be utilized to create turnovers and to limit shot clock time for the opponents offense .

This team has the potential to be better than last year. They move the ball really well and Cam can shoot. Should be a fun January

Reactions: Scangg
One thing I was happy to see in this game — which I was calling for in recent threads — is that we made a concerted effort to get Paul open 3-Pt looks from the corner/wing.

There were many fewer possessions in which Paul was the sole facilitator at the top of the key, and instead, we had different guards facilitating, allowing Paul to get free looks on the wing.

He went 2-5 from deep, and all five shots were open looks. I’ll take 40% every day of the week.

Last edited:
In terms of Wake, Bucknell and Coppin State, there are signs of a more defined rotation or minute distribution that I believe in, when it's spread out like these 3 games.

When you have not too many minutes for the starters and find 18 minutes for Hyatt, 21 for Simpson and a big 16 minutes for Woolfork, it makes me feel as comfortable that we will get something off the bench. I am not sure which 2 of the 3 are going to click off the bench, because any of the 3 could not play as much, but it looks like it's set.

Simpson with 6 points and 6 assists looks very modest, but the passes to find Spencer after some explosive and perhaps a little off-script, helps break tendencies we have.

I already am sold on Hyatt being capable of 12 and 7 if he played 25 minutes, but if it's a few less and RU is getting better, so be it. Didn't shoot is well, but has some hops back in him with the dunks and rebounds. When you go on the road, you'll likely want to have some more experience and ability to score on the court.

Then it comes down to Mr Woolfolk. It would be easy to say that it's the opponent or lack of strength that the opponents have, that aided his better play.

But, in reality, he is so fundamentally sound, it looks like he can score against Wake, OSU or Coppin State and it looks the same. His footwork is so relaxed and in place, that he could probably make some postups vs Purdue, if Edey isn't on the floor.

The defense is connected and that travels.....will the bench play well at Mackey, at Northwestern, at Michigan State in January?? I have no idea who will play well, but as long as Pike plays these at least 2 of these 3 double figure minutes (depending on how the game flow dictates), RU should hang around most nights against everyone.

When you are counting on defense/rebounding, which are essential on the road, you will have to be sharper on offense than what we have seen in spurts.

BUT.....I actually feel like RU has more variables to score and anyone is capable of having a 12 to 14 point game, vs absolutely having to wait for RHJ and Geo to take those shots, while the opponents defense keyed on those 2.

I guess if you are scouting RU, you could scout and stay attached to Cam Spencer, hoping to stop him. But he's an aware player and can pass.

If you want to crowd Cliff, he is improving at getting the ball moving.....and not just relying on lobs and dunks. He can draw fouls, which stop the opponent from scoring runs.

As long as we avoid trying to playmake along the baseline with our guards, we should be in position on defense when we miss shots.

Purdue will really come down to Mulcahy moving the ball and being a spot up shooter and the bench coming in and giving quality minutes. I think we see both and we have a good game Monday night.

I do not like Hyatt taking so many shots. He’s one of the worst shooters on the team - only 38% from the floor and 29% from 3 with so many blown layups. The good news is that his defense and rebounding have improved so he is helping when he’s in there.

Good takes. I'm pleasantly surprised by Woolfolk's footwork in the paint, especially for someone that I understand was primarily considered a football recruit. If Cliff can get some of the moves in the paint similar to Woolfolk, he'd be devastating.

Reactions: Scangg and DirtyRU
They crushed Rutgers toward the end of last year at Mackey so I think hey already got theur revenge
I recall.. Edey was allowed to do whatever he wanted. 2 fouls on Edey and he probably committed 7 fouls. Damn refs. And Ivey.. carried the ball over and over and over. In some games.. the rules seem to be ignored for some reason. My biggest pet peeve is ignoring the travels on extra steps that allow for the pass to the open guy... guys like Ivey get away with that crap.. extra step for a pass or shot and that game was heavy with that crap... which is why I don't watch the NBA much.

I recall.. Edey was allowed to do whatever he wanted. 2 fouls on Edey and he probably committed 7 fouls. Damn refs. And Ivey.. carried the ball over and over and over. In some games.. the rules seem to be ignored for some reason. My biggest pet peeve is ignoring the travels on extra steps that allow for the pass to the open guy... guys like Ivey get away with that crap.. extra step for a pass or shot and that game was heavy with that crap... which is why I don't watch the NBA much.
Watch Edey he travels a lot

One thing I was happy to see in this game — which I was calling for in recent threads — is that we made a concerted effort to get Paul open 3-Pt looks from the corner/wing.

There were many fewer possessions in which Paul was the sole facilitator at the top of the key, and instead, we had different guards facilitating, allowing Paul to get free looks on the wing.

He went 2-5 from deep, and all five shots were open looks. I’ll take 40% every day of the week.

Paul is better off with that as part of the gameplan. Have to give the defense other looks than just Paul with pressure to create every time. He's a much better knockdown set 3 point shooter than most seem to realize. He's second to Cam

Watch Edey he travels a lot
Pivot foot optional

Reactions: Degaz-RU
I like the minutes distribution, but I think there is a significant drop off when he uses the bench. I think he (pike) has to stay disciplined, but it will be very hard to do.

This is what makes me nervous. Playing with a short bench in the BIG is tough. We basically have an 8 man rotation. I think that works fine when you have four days between games, but in the big 10, the meat of the schedule doesn’t accommodate that type of rest.

There will be games where the starters will be relied on to play entire halves. The lack of depth will be an Achilles heal.

ADVERTISEMENT