ADVERTISEMENT

Game 18 Nebraska: So Much Good

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Ok everyone is probably sleeping so many of you might be waking up. Good morning sunshines! Its a long one so go ahead and grab a cup of java

Glorious!.....the best games and wins of the year (surpassing the Ohio State win) and easily the best half of basketball played on both offense and defense by the players. Where to even start. Just about everyone contributed to the win but let's start first with the coaching Coach Pikiell and his staff have taken some heat and criticism for some of the poor play of late, whether it be in game rotation or recruiting misses or not being able to get them a win over Northwestern despite it right there for the taking. Alot of it is frustration from years of losing from the fans. I know I am guilty of it. I try to not go too crazy with the criticism or praise but its tough to see the team lose playing poorly with a weak offense and try to see hope. Well today Coach Pike seemed to run circles around Coach Miles. I thought he had RU resilient once again ready to play after disappointment and even though the team was sloppy and it led to a 13 point Nebraska lead, I think the energy was good and the want to win. The 2nd half is where Pike shined and when Miles went to the 1-3-1 zone, RU just tore it apart. Pike did a great job in getting his team to run certain plays and they were perfectly prepared in position on the court to get easy looks. I thought the rotation was very very good. Obviously it helped Eugene was able to play but generally Pike let the players making play ride it out. I think defensively is where may have won the game. You can tell when this team doesnt play good defense..just look at the recent road trip. RU's half court defense was excellent and it had to be because Nebraska was slicing us in transition. So the whole gameplan worked for Pike. Major credit today and in contrast to Miles whose didnt seem to push any of the right buttons with his team

I will say this. Nebraska...a very good potent offensive team, didnt seem like they wanted this game. Missed alot of chippies early and Miles did comment that he thinks his team had a lack of want in this game. I agree and it was evident in the last 7-8 minutes where they really seemed to not make the right kind of decision on offense...a lot of chucks..alot of chucks late. Did we get their best shot..well I think they did lay somewhat of an egg but credit Rutgers who elevated their game to a level where they were able to just take the spirt out of the Cornhuskers in the last two minutes.

Now back to RU....without a doubt Eugene is the heart and soul of the team, RU was able to gut out the OSU win without him but it was clear that in the 3 losses after that his absence was enormous to the point that in retrospect it was unfair to even expect this team to function at a needed level to compete let alone win. He just jumpstarted the team with energy when he came in and his presence alone changes the game on both ends. Eugene is such a tough warrior and those characteristics filter down to the rest of the team and many elevated their games in response. 8 points on 6 boards back less than two weeks from his injury..tough as nails in 26 minutes and going 4 of 5 at the line as well. I do not know how healthy Eugene is but it is clear that Rutgers cannot win games in the league without him. He is such a key cog that removing him probably just unravels the whole team given their youth. He made such a crucial rebound off his miss at 67 all that led to a Johnson bucket to put RU up and they never looked back. A question was asked the other night, would we have been Northwestern with Eugene, I thought yes, I can clearly say that this team would not have won tonight with Eugene

Now next...Geo Baker. Kid can play, kid having a rough stretch. We know what he can do when he is the Geo we all know love. Let us remember kid is just a sophomore and is trying to carry the weight of a young team on his back. I noted at half, he was just 1-2 for 3 points. To win Geo would have to get involved more in the offense which meant taking more shots and cutting down on the turnovers. He wasnt responsible for all 13 first half turnovers but he had 3 I believe. I do not know what they gave Geo at halftime but he was a different man in the 2nd half. Geo had a 5 point flurry early in the first half that cut into the Nebby lead but later he took over in a crucial stretch of the game where he put up 7 points that took RU from down 47-45 to up 52-49 and in position to take control of the game. He played a game high 38 minutes and did very well in keeping the team confident and calm during the course of the 2nd half. I think peeps should back off a bit in the criticism.

Montez Mathis...the exponential growth continues, I think even exceeding anyone exceptions at this point. Yet another double digit scoring game, Mathis played more like a junior than a frosh....20 points on 7-16 shooting and a whopping 9 rebounds. His best all around game as a Knight...6-10 at the line. Mathis as with last game as emerged as a legit threat and I think is surprising some teams. Obviously with Eugene and Geo playing well, RU becomes much harder to guard and Mathis seemed to take advantage of that today. Just a great bball IQ/ We do not even know his ceiling yet.

Myles Johnson....well his best as a Knight. I may give him player of the game in what was such a team effort. In the game thread, I was getting worried as Nebraska was cutting that lead to 2 and I said they are making the plays and RU isnt. Could RU make the plays...who would have ever thought it would be Myles answering the call and making the plays that gave RU the win. 6 of 8 shooting...13 points, 11 boards for a double double, 4 assists wait wut, 2 blocks...one of them I will get to in a second. Myles had 9 of RU's last 14 points...are you kidding me? Hit two huge back to back buckets in an excellently run offense and then followed it later with two back to back layups, one at 67 all where RU desperately need a score and then another at 72-67 that effectively ended Nebby's hopes. Not going to fault him for missing some free throws at all. Johnson had 4 rebounds in the last minute of play but his biggest play may have been his block of a Copeland layup attempt at 72-67. Just that 4-5 minutes of play was just scintillating by Myles. For guys playing in the paint, its all about confidence, when was the last time that RU could go inside and be confident that the guy could produce. Credit the staff in developing him, credit them to trusting him and of course credit Myles to taking that opportunity and producing. I believe BTN said he was a PLUS TWENTY tonight..wow. Again another player we are just scratching the surface with.

Peter Kiss...the much maligned Peter Kiss. Rumored to be the best shooter on the team, start out impressively enough but seemingly disappeared to the point where he even got a DNP after starting the season. Was this a miss by Pike...maybe maybe not, not so fast. I said a few games back after the DNP that Kiss is going to end up getting his call and his chance to play his role. And I think thats the key here, perhaps Kiss was not intended to be the starter or a guy that had to be the third scoring options. Perhaps he plays a different role for this team. Kiss struggles in December and the emergence of the freshmen left us reevaluting the role for Kiss. Tonight Kiss played the role and did it well. Kiss got time in the 2nd half with Harper picking up that 4th and quite frankly he wasnt playing all that well. Kiss would up hitting on an important 3 that gave RU some breathing room and its largest lead at 6, 62-56 and then would wind up grabbing a big time rebound at 69-67 and draining two foul shots to put RU up 4. Kiss was just 1-3 in 18 minutes but he hit all 5 of his free throws. He gave this team what it needed. All the little things that put RU in position to win.

Harper and Carter quieter games and Harper seemed to struggle in the 2nd half but he still had 7 rebounds. Carter was effective in the first half but Myles and Eugene were going to get the minutes. McConnell gave 9 minutes and had a nice floater in the first half but this was the kind of game where RU wasnt going to be counting on him, same for Thiam

Some key stats to look at.....turnovers....13 at half, RU even with all those turnovers had retaken the lead. If they could just get out of their own way....well 2 turnovers in the second half, that is called valuing the possession. Baker the floor general was the calming influence. But in the game thread, I truly was frightened by the Nebby transition game. RU played solid half court D in the first half but that was only after a made basket, after a miss or a turnover, Nebby was just shredding RU. There was no way that RU could win if Nebraska was able to push the ball in transition. RU attacked, got the line, made shots and turned it over less. It allowed the defense to do its thing and Nebraska at times seemed frustrated and chucked up a lot of questionable shots.

Rebounding...RU outboarded Nebraska 44-34 including 14-9 offensively and really got some key boards late which kept Nebby from 2nd chance opportunities. That goes to will and want and RU wanted it more.

Foul Shooting...it matters....RU was 10 of their first 11 and Nebby finished with a poor 10-18. Foul shooting killed the Huskers. RU kept themselves in the game by making them early. Yes RU was only 7-15 late as they finished 17-26 but hit enough key ones where the misses didnt matter. Namely Kiss. Getting to the line now a couple of games in a row is a new wrinkle for this team.

Resiliency...mentioned it before but is any team more resilient than this one. Can shake off some bad losses just when you think they have not shot they surprise you.

I think the lack of consistency is maddening...you never know which RU team is showing up. Night Man had a nail on the head post in the game thread that spoke to this...and that you dont even know what you will get within the game. This was echoed as I chatted with some long time fans and posters here before leaving the RAC. With so much youth, the learning curve is wild and disjointed. They can play poorly at times but then bam surprise you with what you saw in the second half. Tonight the team was probably the closest to being on the same page as they have all season long. Its best half of basketball and its best win. Making shots matters...ALOT, making plays matter. Having Eugene back matters. Its just tough because we see the good and we want it all the time and they are not ready yet to give it all the time. Year of developing and progress and this team will likely break our hearts again and make us pull our hair out but they will also give us moments of brilliance and enjoyable satisfying wins like tonight.

on the RAC...5022 was official attendance, seemed a tad less than that. Overall energy was great for a cold night and the lower attendance. . Loud at times, team definitely feeds off the energy. , students...I mean actual students not non students filled the section. Solid enough job by them, ..hoping for more for Indiana and of course a Michigan sellout which is should be already. Good job cheering late although there was a lull when Nebby had tied things up I thought it should have been louder.

DANKE SEHR DANKE SEHR or something like that.....anyone in the vicinity of 212 and 213 know what I am talking about. These apparent German girls with accents who were Nebraska fans shouting it everytime RU shot foul shots in the last 5 minutes and it was working...I knew Danke means thanks but I guess they were saying Thank you very much in German as a way to distract the players. Eventually they got drowned out by the cheers..sucks for them. I actually like the presence of opposing team fans in that section because it amps up the intensity level of the game and always good to rub it in a bit when RU wins.

What's next...that is for another thread

Last edited:
I think that we may end up looking back at this game as a very important one for this year's team and maybe the program. This was the game where they really started to jell, and we took a huge step forward tonight. That's not to say that we might not take a step or two back, because sometimes that's how the process works. But we're moving and making progress now.

Earlier in the season, we had Omoruyi and Baker and a bunch of relatively unknown mix and match parts that Pikiell was figuring how to put together. But now, it's becoming a lot more clear. I've said before that Eugene's injury may have been a blessing in disguise, and perhaps it was. It gave a guy like Carter more of a chance to settle in and a guy like Mathis a chance to develop. So now we have Mathis in full bloom, Omoruyi getting healthy, and a two-headed presence inside with Carter and Johnson. Now, all we need is for Geo to bring his A game and we've got a shot to stand toe-to-toe with about anyone in the conference. And we saw passes in the second half that we haven't seen all season.

BAC very good analysis. (I think you meant "without" Eugene in the fourth paragraph.

Anyway, I think what we saw in the 2nd half, are the glimpses of what this team can be next year when they all play together and for one another. Add in Young and Mulcahy and maybe a grad transfer sharpshooter and we will have the makings of a damn good team. What I saw in the second half, was an actual team with a plan to keep grinding the ball. On the other hand, what I saw with Nebraska was "me" ball too much out of Palmer, who suddenly lost his composure and started to play street ball, instead of team ball.

Nebraska, is a team of veterans--seniors and transfers. They're supposed to play with experience and composure especially when the game is on the line. Well, that broke down.

Eugene was huge tonight because of his presence. He seemed to calm the kids and rally them at the same time into believing they had the talent to win this game. I agree with you, that this win was even bigger than OSU, only because of the way we got down 13, and then went on that big run 15-0 to not only catch them, but briefly take the lead. And finally, I love our resilience at the end of the game. Instead of wilting, we got stronger, and Nebraska wilted and panicked. Great win! Great night!

The game comes down to the ability to improve the roster from extremely limited to sometimes limited to OK.

In the 1st 2 years, you didn't have the ability to put 4 or 5 passing or potential scoring threats on the court at the same time. In past years, the guards were asked to generate offense but lacked the skill sets to run an offense....to limit turnovers it was a screen to try and free Corey up for a driving lane, maybe a basket or offensive rebound etc.

Down the stretch, you had 5 capable passers on the court and it didn't turn into a team essentially doubling the ball, forcing the guard into a tough jumper or into the hands of a player who couldn't make a play.

Mathis with a nice bounce pass BUT the big man has to catch it, not fumble it and finish...Myles did that which complicates the defense and what they're looking for....Eugene makes a high-low pass to Myles Johnson who catches it cleanly and lays it in or dunks it.

Myles makes a high low pass to Shaq Carter in the last game for a layup.

The weave at the top frees up Mathis or Baker to go left or right off the dribble and if not there, another option presents itself.

This isn't a scrappy, ugly fought game on offense....when not turning the ball over, the concepts are looking like a team.

I will say it again, the better players added each yeat that can be athletic and dribble shoot and PASS, will make others better. Adding another 2 layers in Mulcahy and Young, only expands what the offense can look like down the road.

Teams will adjust to account for Mathis or he will continue to get buckets...if you start taking focus away from Geo to slow Mathis down, Geo's life becomes easier.

If Myles continues to catch the ball cleanly and make good passes when covered, others will get a shot off, vs a turnover.

If Eugene plays and makes high-low passes to Carter and Myles, teams will get into foul trouble because we execute.

It's not as much how highly ranked the talent is at this stage of a build....and it's still a build. It comes down to eliminating empty possessions and execution first to see what players fit what the team can run on offense.

Just 2 turnovers in a half is obscene for a young team BUT it's huge to see actual concepts and trust being built in each player to run the offense vs freelancing.

The next steps are to get more confidence built for the next 3 days and to attempt to limit turnovers on the road. If we take care of the ball and make good passes, we will get decent looks and FTs at Penn State. Not saying we will make shots or drain FTs but the next 4 days brings a boost of confidence to everyone involved.

You can see that the team worked hard at handling being double teamed in the post. The last 2 games we looked much better, hopefully it continues, because instead of turnovers we turned the situation into an offensive threat.

Great write up and follow ups.

I am just sticking the course with this team and Pike leading the way. It is just so evident that - despite the occasional setbacks - he is building this brick by brick, the right way.

Like many others I predicted maddening losses and then key wins like this. This is just so common with an inexperienced team that is finding its way.

It is time for our fanbase to get behind Pike and co 100000% percent. Yes of course we can criticize and bitch and moan. Of course. But throw every support you have behind these guys. Get to a game. Bring friends. Talk about them at work. These kids bleed RU and deserve our unconditional support. It will accelerate the build that WILL be a success with Pike at the helm.

I am so proud of this program.

You can make a comparison between a college basketball team and a rock band. You can have a great band because of the talent of the individual players (think Cream, the Yardbirds) or because of how well they play together (think The Band, E Street Band).

Reactions: RUforester72
-I read the Husker pre game analysis page said NEBBIE should have an easy game
and looked forward to the post season.:zzz:
-The post game NEBBIE article called it a :scream:"disaster loss":scream:
that might take them OUT of the post season :smiley:LOL:smiley:

[thumb2] I LOVE IT ! [thumb2]
[cheers][cheers]

Reactions: RUHouston
Agree with everything BAC said and I will add Eugene is not remotely close to 100% and I thought Miles did a terrible job allowing him to play 25 minutes and not exploiting him (on defensive end) playing on 1 knee.

My take on this game is a little different than most. I think we built on the NW game. Our D had been attrocious the 2 games before and we got back our defensive identity. I don't believe there was a possession of zone. Even when we had the zone press we fell back in to man to man. We had defensive breakdowns last night just like we had vs NW. The difference was end game the Issa 2 breakdowns were maginified by 2 made 3s and last night Nebraska didn't. Nebraska's poor shooting from the free throw line hurt too.

There is a recipe for winning with this team. It starts with D. Turnovers, shooting and sharing the basketball are very important.

We played our B+ game and Nebraska played a C game and that equates to a victory.

I do want to give the team massive credit when getting to 2 decent size holes PLUS the way the 1st half ended we never folded.

See the probability chart below.

http://www.barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=NebraskaRutgers1-21&year=2019

Agree with everything BAC said and I will add Eugene is not remotely close to 100% and I thought Miles did a terrible job allowing him to play 25 minutes and not exploiting him (on defensive end) playing on 1 knee.

My take on this game is a little different than most. I think we built on the NW game. Our D had been attrocious the 2 games before and we got back our defensive identity. I don't believe there was a possession of zone. Even when we had the zone press we fell back in to man to man. We had defensive breakdowns last night just like we had vs NW. The difference was end game the Issa 2 breakdowns were maginified by 2 made 3s and last night Nebraska didn't. Nebraska's poor shooting from the free throw line hurt too.

There is a recipe for winning with this team. It starts with D. Turnovers, shooting and sharing the basketball are very important.

We played our B+ game and Nebraska played a C game and that equates to a victory.

I do want to give the team massive credit when getting to 2 decent size holes PLUS the way the 1st half ended we never folded.

See the probability chart below.

http://www.barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=NebraskaRutgers1-21&year=2019

Good take FIGG.

In the past if we played a B+ and our opponent played a C we likely still don't win. We would need our opponent to play a d or even a F. This alone is progress.

Maybe next year we can play a B and our opponent can play C+ and we can still win. The Gap is getting closer in terms of the talent and the development. Yes there is a long way to go but I did not watch that game yesterday and say we had no business being on the court. And that's a team that has several NBA players. Without getting into a huge argument my only point is that the Gap in talent is also closing. And when you have a head coach that knows what he is doing you start to have something.

Reactions: satnom
Good take FIGG.

In the past if we played a B+ and our opponent played a C we likely still don't win. We would need our opponent to play a d or even a F. This alone is progress.

Maybe next year we can play a B and our opponent can play C+ and we can still win. The Gap is getting closer in terms of the talent and the development. Yes there is a long way to go but I did not watch that game yesterday and say we had no business being on the court. And that's a team that has several NBA players. Without getting into a huge argument my only point is that the Gap in talent is also closing. And when you have a head coach that knows what he is doing you start to have something.

The problem is 4-6 at home and 1-9 away is still 5-15 and barely moving the needle. Yes the Penn State game is important, but a real good litmus test is going to be in 1 1/2 weeks when indiana comes to town.

First of all great win over a Nebraska team with a high powered offense.This game had a Willis Reed type scenario with Eugene making a unexpected return to the court.His grit and determination gave the team the additional energy to stay with and ultimately win the game.It was a team effort for Rutgers to score 76 points including making 17 foul shots.Kudos to Eugene,Baker,Johnson,Mathis and Kiss for providing balanced scoring .The other players on the team contributed by rebounding and giving teammates a rest in a highly charged up and down the court game.

The relevance of this game is that Rutgers scored more than 70 points which is a minimum to have realistic chances of defeating league rivals.In contrast Rutgers scored less than 60 points in the two previous games which they loss.How teams score the points depends on the personnel of the team.In Rutgers case drives to the basket,foul shooting and put backs around the basket are the best strategy.Baker and other players making 3 point shots are the icing on the cake.For other teams like Nebraska the 3 point shot has more relevance.

In hindsight losing to Northwestern is hard to take because they aren't as talented as Nebraska.It just shows,however,that every game is a individual challenge and teams like Rutgers with a small margin for error must have maximum effort combined with sub par performances by the opponent to achieve wins.The Penn State game will be a challenge because its a road game but right now they have the worse league record.For both teams this game should be considered a must win.

Great recap.

Two things I would've liked to have seen.

Little more Harper/Caleb over Kiss down the stretch, with that said, Kiss hit a big 3 and nailed his foul shots so that was big. The offense just moves so much better with harper in over guys like issa and kiss. Harpers basketball IQ is through the roof and he does a lot of things that don't go down on the stat sheet like making a hockey secondary assist, running the court in transition, penetrating the lane and screwing up the defensive rotations, getting boards. The team just flows so much better when we have a lineup like Geo-Mathis-Caleb/Harper-Eugene/Shaq C-Myles.

I think after tonight it pretty evident that Issa should never see the court again. The offense just stopped with him in the game, he doesn't make nearly enough impact on defense to warrant him stealing minutes and killing out offense. Anyone know where I can find +/- numbers? I'd bet he was the biggest - on our team once again.

Also Myles had a good game but he needs to be more assertive in the post. He doesn't impose his will enough or use his size advantage as much as I'd like to see. I think it's a toughness issue. Really hope he can develop a mean streak

The problem is 4-6 at home and 1-9 away is still 5-15 and barely moving the needle. Yes the Penn State game is important, but a real good litmus test is going to be in 1 1/2 weeks when indiana comes to town.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I disagree that it barely moves the needle especially if you consider that Eugene was out on Friday night.

These are the steps a team takes to turn things around. First we're competitive in most of our games and we start picking off games like this. It will come. I know you're a data guy and the wins and losses don't support it yet but I think the trends are an indication that things are on the right path. The question is when...not if.

Me, I am enjoying the ride and watching this team get better and better as every day goes by.

Ok everyone is probably sleeping so many of you might be waking up. Good morning sunshines! Its a long one so go ahead and grab a cup of java

Glorious!.....the best games and wins of the year (surpassing the Ohio State win) and easily the best half of basketball played on both offense and defense by the players. Where to even start. Just about everyone contributed to the win but let's start first with the coaching Coach Pikiell and his staff have taken some heat and criticism for some of the poor play of late, whether it be in game rotation or recruiting misses or not being able to get them a win over Northwestern despite it right there for the taking. Alot of it is frustration from years of losing from the fans. I know I am guilty of it. I try to not go too crazy with the criticism or praise but its tough to see the team lose playing poorly with a weak offense and try to see hope. Well today Coach Pike seemed to run circles around Coach Miles. I thought he had RU resilient once again ready to play after disappointment and even though the team was sloppy and it led to a 13 point Nebraska lead, I think the energy was good and the want to win. The 2nd half is where Pike shined and when Miles went to the 1-3-1 zone, RU just tore it apart. Pike did a great job in getting his team to run certain plays and they were perfectly prepared in position on the court to get easy looks. I thought the rotation was very very good. Obviously it helped Eugene was able to play but generally Pike let the players making play ride it out. I think defensively is where may have won the game. You can tell when this team doesnt play good defense..just look at the recent road trip. RU's half court defense was excellent and it had to be because Nebraska was slicing us in transition. So the whole gameplan worked for Pike. Major credit today and in contrast to Miles whose didnt seem to push any of the right buttons with his team

I will say this. Nebraska...a very good potent offensive team, didnt seem like they wanted this game. Missed alot of chippies early and Miles did comment that he thinks his team had a lack of want in this game. I agree and it was evident in the last 7-8 minutes where they really seemed to not make the right kind of decision on offense...a lot of chucks..alot of chucks late. Did we get their best shot..well I think they did lay somewhat of an egg but credit Rutgers who elevated their game to a level where they were able to just take the spirt out of the Cornhuskers in the last two minutes.

Now back to RU....without a doubt Eugene is the heart and soul of the team, RU was able to gut out the OSU win without him but it was clear that in the 3 losses after that his absence was enormous to the point that in retrospect it was unfair to even expect this team to function at a needed level to compete let alone win. He just jumpstarted the team with energy when he came in and his presence alone changes the game on both ends. Eugene is such a tough warrior and those characteristics filter down to the rest of the team and many elevated their games in response. 8 points on 6 boards back less than two weeks from his injury..tough as nails in 26 minutes and going 4 of 5 at the line as well. I do not know how healthy Eugene is but it is clear that Rutgers can win games in the league with him. He is such a key cog that removing him probably just unravels the whole team given their youth. He made such a crucial rebound off his miss at 67 all that led to a Johnson bucket to put RU up and they never looked back. A question was asked the other night, would we have been Northwestern with Eugene, I thought yes, I can clearly say that this team would not have won tonight with Eugene

Now next...Geo Baker. Kid can play, kid having a rough stretch. We know what he can do when he is the Geo we all know love. Let us remember kid is just a sophomore and is trying to carry the weight of a young team on his back. I noted at half, he was just 1-2 for 3 points. To win Geo would have to get involved more in the offense which meant taking more shots and cutting down on the turnovers. He wasnt responsible for all 13 first half turnovers but he had 3 I believe. I do not know what they gave Geo at halftime but he was a different man in the 2nd half. Geo had a 5 point flurry early in the first half that cut into the Nebby lead but later he took over in a crucial stretch of the game where he put up 7 points that took RU from down 47-45 to up 52-49 and in position to take control of the game. He played a game high 38 minutes and did very well in keeping the team confident and calm during the course of the 2nd half. I think peeps should back off a bit in the criticism.

Montez Mathis...the exponential growth continues, I think even exceeding anyone exceptions at this point. Yet another double digit scoring game, Mathis played more like a junior than a frosh....20 points on 7-16 shooting and a whopping 9 rebounds. His best all around game as a Knight...6-10 at the line. Mathis as with last game as emerged as a legit threat and I think is surprising some teams. Obviously with Eugene and Geo playing well, RU becomes much harder to guard and Mathis seemed to take advantage of that today. Just a great bball IQ/ We do not even know his ceiling yet.

Myles Johnson....well his best as a Knight. I may give him player of the game in what was such a team effort. In the game thread, I was getting worried as Nebraska was cutting that lead to 2 and I said they are making the plays and RU isnt. Could RU make the plays...who would have ever thought it would be Myles answering the call and making the plays that gave RU the win. 6 of 8 shooting...13 points, 11 boards for a double double, 4 assists wait wut, 2 blocks...one of them I will get to in a second. Myles had 9 of RU's last 14 points...are you kidding me? Hit two huge back to back buckets in an excellently run offense and then followed it later with two back to back layups, one at 67 all where RU desperately need a score and then another at 72-67 that effectively ended Nebby's hopes. Not going to fault him for missing some free throws at all. Johnson had 4 rebounds in the last minute of play but his biggest play may have been his block of a Copeland layup attempt at 72-67. Just that 4-5 minutes of play was just scintillating by Myles. For guys playing in the paint, its all about confidence, when was the last time that RU could go inside and be confident that the guy could produce. Credit the staff in developing him, credit them to trusting him and of course credit Myles to taking that opportunity and producing. I believe BTN said he was a PLUS TWENTY tonight..wow. Again another player we are just scratching the surface with.

Peter Kiss...the much maligned Peter Kiss. Rumored to be the best shooter on the team, start out impressively enough but seemingly disappeared to the point where he even got a DNP after starting the season. Was this a miss by Pike...maybe maybe not, not so fast. I said a few games back after the DNP that Kiss is going to end up getting his call and his chance to play his role. And I think thats the key here, perhaps Kiss was not intended to be the starter or a guy that had to be the third scoring options. Perhaps he plays a different role for this team. Kiss struggles in December and the emergence of the freshmen left us reevaluting the role for Kiss. Tonight Kiss played the role and did it well. Kiss got time in the 2nd half with Harper picking up that 4th and quite frankly he wasnt playing all that well. Kiss would up hitting on an important 3 that gave RU some breathing room and its largest lead at 6, 62-56 and then would wind up grabbing a big time rebound at 69-67 and draining two foul shots to put RU up 4. Kiss was just 1-3 in 18 minutes but he hit all 5 of his free throws. He gave this team what it needed. All the little things that put RU in position to win.

Harper and Carter quieter games and Harper seemed to struggle in the 2nd half but he still had 7 rebounds. Carter was effective in the first half but Myles and Eugene were going to get the minutes. McConnell gave 9 minutes and had a nice floater in the first half but this was the kind of game where RU wasnt going to be counting on him, same for Thiam

Some key stats to look at.....turnovers....13 at half, RU even with all those turnovers had retaken the lead. If they could just get out of their own way....well 2 turnovers in the second half, that is called valuing the possession. Baker the floor general was the calming influence. But in the game thread, I truly was frightened by the Nebby transition game. RU played solid half court D in the first half but that was only after a made basket, after a miss or a turnover, Nebby was just shredding RU. There was no way that RU could win if Nebraska was able to push the ball in transition. RU attacked, got the line, made shots and turned it over less. It allowed the defense to do its thing and Nebraska at times seemed frustrated and chucked up a lot of questionable shots.

Rebounding...RU outboarded Nebraska 44-34 including 14-9 offensively and really got some key boards late which kept Nebby from 2nd chance opportunities. That goes to will and want and RU wanted it more.

Foul Shooting...it matters....RU was 10 of their first 11 and Nebby finished with a poor 10-18. Foul shooting killed the Huskers. RU kept themselves in the game by making them early. Yes RU was only 7-15 late as they finished 17-26 but hit enough key ones where the misses didnt matter. Namely Kiss. Getting to the line now a couple of games in a row is a new wrinkle for this team.

Resiliency...mentioned it before but is any team more resilient than this one. Can shake off some bad losses just when you think they have not shot they surprise you.

I think the lack of consistency is maddening...you never know which RU team is showing up. Night Man had a nail on the head post in the game thread that spoke to this...and that you dont even know what you will get within the game. This was echoed as I chatted with some long time fans and posters here before leaving the RAC. With so much youth, the learning curve is wild and disjointed. They can play poorly at times but then bam surprise you with what you saw in the second half. Tonight the team was probably the closest to being on the same page as they have all season long. Its best half of basketball and its best win. Making shots matters...ALOT, making plays matter. Having Eugene back matters. Its just tough because we see the good and we want it all the time and they are not ready yet to give it all the time. Year of developing and progress and this team will likely break our hearts again and make us pull our hair out but they will also give us moments of brilliance and enjoyable satisfying wins like tonight.

on the RAC...5022 was official attendance, seemed a tad less than that. Overall energy was great for a cold night and the lower attendance. . Loud at times, team definitely feeds off the energy. , students...I mean actual students not non students filled the section. Solid enough job by them, ..hoping for more for Indiana and of course a Michigan sellout which is should be already. Good job cheering late although there was a lull when Nebby had tied things up I thought it should have been louder.

DANKE SEHR DANKE SEHR or something like that.....anyone in the vicinity of 212 and 213 know what I am talking about. These apparent German girls with accents who were Nebraska fans shouting it everytime RU shot foul shots in the last 5 minutes and it was working...I knew Danke means thanks but I guess they were saying Thank you very much in German as a way to distract the players. Eventually they got drowned out by the cheers..sucks for them. I actually like the presence of opposing team fans in that section because it amps up the intensity level of the game and always good to rub it in a bit when RU wins.

What's next...that is for another thread
Great post

I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying.

The win was big. I am enjoying it.

We are trending right at 5/6 wins which is progress, but still a ways to go.

The won’t win another game crowd thinks the margin of error is razor thin most nights when it really isn’t

Good comments Bac and others. So what about Kiss on the court at the end of the game? Interesting huh? We don't win without his 3 pt shot and two foul shots. Also, I loved his block (foul) on Palmer's open layup. Coaches go with the best combinations at a particular time and I think that's what Pike went with. I think there's enough versatility at the 1 - 4 spots that Coach can mix and match without worrying about a big reduction in ability level in each player. Issa is just a big question mark. He seems to have the quickness and potential to be much better than he's played and I wouldn't write him off. He has to earn his minutes, but if the light ever goes on for him he could be a productive player.

I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying.

The win was big. I am enjoying it.

We are trending right at 5/6 wins which is progress, but still a ways to go.

The won’t win another game crowd thinks the margin of error is razor thin most nights when it really isn’t

I am with you...peace! :)

We are 318th in the nation in average years of experience. Very good sign.

Great win. Finally got better movement, spacing and ball into the interior. Great job on D. Let’s repeat this performance and not take any steps backwards.

Great recap.

Little more Harper/Caleb over Kiss down the stretch, with that said, Kiss hit a big 3 and nailed his foul shots so that was big. The offense just moves so much better with harper in over guys like issa and kiss. Harpers basketball IQ is through the roof and he does a lot of things that don't go down on the stat sheet like making a hockey secondary assist, running the court in transition, penetrating the lane and screwing up the defensive rotations, getting boards. The team just flows so much better when we have a lineup like Geo-Mathis-Caleb/Harper-Eugene/Shaq C-Myles.

I think after tonight it pretty evident that Issa should never see the court again. The offense just stopped with him in the game, he doesn't make nearly enough impact on defense to warrant him stealing minutes and killing out offense. Anyone know where I can find +/- numbers? I'd bet he was the biggest - on our team once again.

Also Myles had a good game but he needs to be more assertive in the post. He doesn't impose his will enough or use his size advantage as much as I'd like to see. I think it's a toughness issue. Really hope he can develop a mean streak

Issa was not the worst +/- last night, he was a -4 in 8 minutes of action. Doorson was actually a -10 in his time on the floor followed by Carter at -5. To what is a surprise to me & probably you, Kiss was a +15 on the floor tonight, with only Myles Johnson better at +20. Issa is going to see the floor in this rotation for atleast some minutes of the game to spell guys or in this case cause Harper had foul trouble. We wont see him play the minutes he used to because of the roster depth but he still will play a role on this team.

Reactions: satnom
RU not folding after the way Nebraska finished the first half says tons about the players. Very good and well earned W.
Says a lot about Pike and his coaches too.

In one post-game interview Pike said he told his team at halftime that they weren't playing well but were still in the game. Spot on, and the right perspective after our fiasco to close 1st half.

BAC, excellent thorough recap going through the coaching and player contributions. A key few points from my perspective.
1) The hi-lo between all of our bigs , Myles, Eugene and both Shaquille’s should be a regular part of our offense all game long. Even if the catcher cannot go right up, he is deep enough to gather , control and finish and get fouled. I expect more points coming our way from the bigs.
2). Despite the hi- los , Geo has to do a better job feeding the post. Numerous times Carter was in the post with position and Geo did not feed him. He must stop. We must play inside out. Last night, you saw the coaching adjustment to the teams doubling the post, when Myles kicked it to a cutting Mathis for a layup, and diagonally passing to Kiss for the three. We should be getting better looks now if we could only knock down open looks watch out.
3) Geo has been struggling and you gave him major props and I am as happy as hell he went off a little in the second half, he only ended with 16 points. Now your supposed best player/ guard / experienced player should be giving you 14-16 a night. Our disappointment is where he hits an early three and disappears the rest of the game and last night he did disappear in the first half after hitting that long three early. I know the Coach put undue pressure on him, that he does not seem to be handling well, but now that Mathis is a scoring option , and the bigs, Eugene, Myles, and Carter are scoring options, he should be giving us 15 plus a night. His assists will go up if he feeds the post more. If he does we have a chance in every game.
4) Our defense is nowhere near it was last year or the first year under Coach. We still allow too many late shot clock points and we sag off shooters unnecessarily . We are giving up too many made threes. If Coach is trying to limit our three attempts to 13 a game, we cannot be giving up 9 a game . Our length has to continue to create more deflections and blocks and the intensity on the defensive end has to ratchet up. If the guard gets beat I would rather he make a tough runner than leaving a guy wide open at the three point line or maybe we get some blocks in the paint.
5) Mathis and Myles probably deserve their own threads but Montez has now become our leading scorer at 15 a game in 5-6 games and it is no coincidence as he is attacking the rim and getting to the line. He is a beast and is unguardable and will help Geo and our bigs increase their offensive production. Myles can score down low, is a willing passer and always looks diagonally. And can block shots. We have not had a complete center like that in a long time as Echneque comes to mind but he is just scratching the surface. 6) Eugene is a warrior , plain and simple. Gutsy kid with great heart and pain tolerance. Love him as a Scarlet Knight.

It is January 22 and the season might end early March. That is enough time for Issa to get through his shooting slump.

That doesn’t mean he should ever get 20+ minutes. He may have value if he can play 10-15 minutes playing OK D and knocking down open shots.

Right now with Issa’s confidence zapped he should only play if we have foul trouble or if others aren’t cutting it defensively.

Teams will adjust to account for Mathis or he will continue to get buckets...if you start taking focus away from Geo to slow Mathis down, Geo's life becomes easier.

Bac/Hawk -

So many good points in this thread, but I particularly like this one. Geo's struggles this year stem not only from playing out of position, but also from having no Corey Sanders to attract the teeth of the opposing team's defense. One of the reasons for Mathis's success, is that teams are making a focused effort to stop Geo, freeing up Montez to do what Geo did down the stretch last year. Mathis's rapid development will certainly help take some of the heat off of Geo, allowing both to shine. As others have noted, if Mathis can get more proficient from 3-point range, the sky is the limit for him.

Reactions: soundcrib
Good posts here. One thing about the weave. We seemed to use it with more of a purpose in this game. It was once or twice around the horn and then a quick pass inside. Gave us some much needed direction and stability and in the second half we only had 2 turnovers.

Great recap.

kyk, I think you're GENERALLY right that Harper/Caleb are preferred over Kiss down the stretch. But a good coach needs to "read the room" and realize what is working within a particular game, and what is not working. Harper and Caleb were having off nights last night, and Harper had 4 fouls, whereas Kiss was giving us really solid minutes.

So I think that, last night, it was the right decision to go with Kiss based on what was happening on the floor. I said as much in another thread that I started after the game.

3) Geo has been struggling and you gave him major props and I am as happy as hell he went off a little in the second half, he only ended with 16 points. Now your supposed best player/ guard / experienced player should be giving you 14-16 a night. Our disappointment is where he hits an early three and disappears the rest of the game and last night he did disappear in the first half after hitting that long three early. I know the Coach put undue pressure on him, that he does not seem to be handling well, but now that Mathis is a scoring option , and the bigs, Eugene, Myles, and Carter are scoring options, he should be giving us 15 plus a night. His assists will go up if he feeds the post more. If he does we have a chance in every game.

The pressure that came with Geo was asking a lot early in the season on him but I do understand why Coach put it on him & it will make him a better player in the end. Freshman year he had Corey as the main scoring option along with Freeman in the post which freed him up to be option 1B or 1C. This year he has to run the point (which we know he is not a true PG) & teams rightfully so were throwing everything at him daring the young kids to step up & beat them. Now that Mathis is emerging, Eugene back in the lineup & the overall chemistry progressing my hope is that the pressure falls back off Geo & allows him to play the way he did last night, in control & decisive. That is the Geo we know & love & the most efficient that will help lead this team to victories.

Mathis reminds me a lot of Dohntay Jones. Good defender, can get to the basket, need to work on the jumper.

Issa’s problem is how he is being used. He can’t be one dimensional. Post him up or dribble drive.

Love the way they played last night. Need to keep getting our bigs touches.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Mathis reminds me a lot of Dohntay Jones. Good defender, can get to the basket, need to work on the jumper.

Issa’s problem is how he is being used. He can’t be one dimensional. Post him up or dribble drive.

Love the way they played last night. Need to keep getting our bigs touches.

Hate to say it because I support each & every kid on this team but Issa pretty much is one dimensional on offense & has been in his time on campus. He is not a post player & when it has happened its come in OOC games. He does have the occasional take but off the dribble shooting & driving is not his best skill set. He is a catch & shoot guy.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Great recap.

I've been tough on Thiam lately, but I saw a slight positive sign last night. Thiam actually put the ball on the floor a couple of times to get off his shot. Unfortunately, he missed those shots, but at least he wasn't just playing hot potato with the basketball on the perimeter like he usually does. Does that mean that he warrants playing time? No, not necessarily. But it does show that his approach to the game on offense may be changing.

As far as Harper goes, I imagine it could be fun watching him, Mathis, and Mulcahy running fast breaks together for three years.

Reactions: HeyHuey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT