ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 19 Maryland: What Could Have Been....

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
The flowers you gave me
Are just about to die
When I think about
What could've been
It makes me want to cry
The sweet words you whispered
Didn't mean a thing
I guess our song is over
As we begin to sing
Could've been so beautiful
Could've been so right
Could've been my lover
Every day of my life
Could've been so beautiful
Could've been so right
I'll never hold what could've been
On a cold and lonely night
The mem'ries of our lovin'
Still linger in the air
Like the faded scent of your roses
They stay with me everywhere
Every time I get my hopes up
They always seem to fall
Still what could've been is better than
What could never be at all
How could I hold what could've been
On a cold and lonely night?

Where are my Tiffany lovers out there.? Lamenting the lost season. Perhaps the door not official shut given there are still 11 games left plus the Big 10 tournament. I will never say never because hey two winnable road games and RU is 7-4 with Sparty coming in to a juiced RAC. So yes the window is still open a crack. The margin of error might be down to 1 at this point. After tonights debacle, Rutgers is down to its last gasp. What happened this year? We all know what happened and its been hashed and rehashed about 1000 times on this board. Not really interested into going through the laundry list of why this season went the way it did. We all know. Just go back to the Lehigh game. Go back to the awful starts on the road. The inept offense, the brutal runs such as tonight's embarrassing 21-3 which would balloon to 31-8, missed opportunities to seize momentum, the mind boggling rotations, the utter no show in adversity. We got tricked. We got duped. The Purdue game was a hard fought game that they deserved to win. The Maryland comeback win was quite a pleasant surprise to see RU build some resiliency. The Iowa game brought the most stifling defense we may have ever seen at the RAC. Deep down though Rutgers resume is what it is. When they are locked in and on they can beat anyone. When they are not they can lose to anyone. But making the NCAA tournament involves being consistent and Rutgers just is not consistent and time is running out.

The Minnesota loss left a bitter taste in my mouth because it was an enormous missed opportunity against a depleted team. I hated our defense in that game letting one guy go off because it reminded me of early season games vs Lafayette and UMass. I thought they were passed that. It crept back. I picked RU to win tonight but I told Rock and Phil that I did not have a good feeling about this game and was thinking they were going to lay an egg. Its was much more than an egg. It was an ugly spawn of reality. A harsh dose for Rutgers fans who thought we could be sometiing this year. We were fooling ourselves. Tonight Maryland just whipped us in every sense of the word. The 8 point losing margin not even close to representing how this game went. Runs of 21-3 eventually 31-8 and there was no looking back. Rutgers down 35-15 at the half and the game was over. RU run to get it to 12 did not mean much as they could not really do much in the 2nd half. It was an ill fated comeback attempt that never got serious. RU probably played Maryland pretty even and at times outplaying them but when you get down 20, it does not matter much. Should anyone be surprised by tonight...not at all, not if you are being honest. We are exactly the team we have shown on our stat sheet and on our win/loss column. I see no reason why that will change much the rest of the season.

Will not go into any specific in this game except to say that Pike's subs were abysmal and ill timed. Pulling Cliff really changed the game, I realize Cliff was scored on 3 straight times but Pike's insertion of Reiber and Miller so quickly led to the beginning of the Maryland run. By the time Cliff came back in he would be ineffective and things snowballed from there as every single starter stunk up the joint for Pike to even do the unthinkable..actually play Jaden Jones, also poor Jaden didnt even get a shot attempt before neve seeing the court again. The combo of Ayala and Fats took over and simply made Geo, Caleb and Ron look small on their home court. Rutgers defense was simply atrocious, it was Minnesota all over again. It was UMass all over again. It was Lafayette all over again. Caleb McConnell should not be shooting 16 times I will leave it at that. Geo gave nothing on offense in the 2nd. Ron came up small when it mattered. Paul was brutally ineffective. Cliff had his moments after his rough start, 9 points, 13 boards just a small positive. RU was outrebounded 20-11 in the first half really showing the lack of awareness and hustle by RIU. Credit Maryland and Manning, he must have emphasized rebounding and it showed. 2nd half RU outboarded the Terps and actually ended up winning the battle of the boards but so what.

The bench was non existent yet again and yes we need to talk about recruiting. This loss comes back to just some gigantic misses or guys who will take 4 years to develop. Not going to single anyone out because its the whole group of non starters. Not their fault. Most do not have the talent to be more than spot role players here. Yet here we are and we are expected to belive that this bunch is going to be the key players for the next 3 years....FRIGHTENING. Sorry I like Pike, but you cannot have that many misses on the recruiting trail all playing on the same team. The inability to develop a guy or two to come off the bench and provide an instant spark is on Pike and his staff. He simply JY, recruit a 4 for how many years now or land a guy to back Cliff up. So when the starters are crapping the bed, its a scary proposition looking to the bench since most of them have seen very little playing time including the prized recruit who couldnt even get a shot attempt today in a game screaming for someone to spark the offense. Horrible recruiting and roster management. Pike has done a pretty good job of cobbling together wins by getting his team to play defense and just squeezing out enough from his bench but its such a shaky blueprint to use long term and now we are seeing it biting RU.

RU heads into Nebraska like a jalopy with the gas tank running on fumes. Can Rutgers manage to claw out a win there or will the engine fall out and the season be lost forever somewhere in the Great Plains. The cold cold reality setting in. No matter how we wish or bargain or beg some things are just not met to be. Still what could've been is better than what could never be at all. We are all frustrated right now as Rutgers fans. This is a great group of kids and coaching staff that gave us an incredible run. Be disappointed but remember the good times and what was done to even put Rutgers basketball on the map. Recalibrating expectations for the 2021-2022 Rutgers basketball season and trying not to become negative will not be easy. Rutgers will almost certainly knock off one if not two top 25 schools at the RAC by the end of the season. And that is what makes games like tonight or Lafayette so exasperating because we all know what could have been......

Caleb(1-6 rim, 0-3 mid), Hyatt(0-2 mid), Geo(0-1 rim, 1-5 mid), Dean(0-2 rim, 0-1 mid), Mag(0-1 rim) 2-21 9.5% from 2 is the game. Nothing else needs to be said. We hit 50%, we win.

Edit** 1-10 at the rim, 1-11 mid range 2s
Cliff 5-7, Ron 7-14 from 2, 12-19 63.2%

Last edited:
Bac - great prediction on game !

My few thoughts:

1. In what universe does Caleb shoot 15 times in a game? WTF? Max limit for him should be 5 shots. And most were clankers. My theory: Montez and/or Vetrone got in his ear as Caleb was at SJU- SHU game last night.

2. Can we defend hot shooters? Willis on Saturday and tonight Fatts and Ayala. Can we get them off their game?

3. Caleb was awful and his chucking was worse. We started off the game quick scoring 7 points in first few possessions and then Caleb decides to take 15-18 footers breaking the momentum.

4. Mulcahy was a total non factor. I can't even remember any play after the first few minutes where he was dishing in the paint

5. Bench was a non factor. Dean was overmatched; Hyatt remains an enigma; Miller seems to have lost his agressiveness.

6. Was glad to see Jones in game and unfortunately I think it'll take time for him to get his confidence back

7. Need for Harp to be aggressive and demand ball.

Whole game was a dud

My few thoughts:

1. In what universe does Caleb shoot 15 times in a game? WTF? Max limit for him should be 5 shots. And most were clankers. My theory: Montez and/or Vetrone got in his ear as Caleb was at SJU- SHU game last night.

2. Can we defend hot shooters? Willis on Saturday and tonight Fatts and Ayala. Can we get them off their game?

3. Caleb was awful and his chucking was worse. We started off the game quick scoring 7 points in first few possessions and then Caleb decides to take 15-18 footers breaking the momentum.

4. Mulcahy was a total non factor. I can't even remember any play after the first few minutes where he was dishing in the paint

5. Bench was a non factor. Dean was overmatched; Hyatt remains an enigma; Miller seems to have lost his agressiveness.

6. Was glad to see Jones in game and unfortunately I think it'll take time for him to get his confidence back

Whole game was a dud
Caleb was almost exclusively off the ball tonight. Ever since Geo came back Pike has reverted him back to being a catch and shoot wing rather than handling the ball. That is far from his “strength” and he is reverting back to the same low level of inefficieny on the offensive end in this capacity.

I think everyone can see how much more Caleb can give the team in a different role though let’s be clear what the context of that is the bar is still not high.

I remember when people said Fatts was not the type of player RU needed when in fact a scoring point guard who can get their own shot is exactly what the team needed.
Fatts is really not that good. We watched him take uncontested threes and he was hot. At least we played defense on Willis in Saturday’s game, even though he hit the shots anyway.

Fatts is really not that good. We watched him take uncontested threes and he was hot. At least we played defense on Willis in Saturday’s game, even though he hit the shots anyway.
Oh here we go

Nothing like did or didn’t do lost this game. That is looking for a scapegoat. He tried everything. He yelled. He pressed. He tried different players.

I called time of death of 2021-22 at 930pm when Caleb had his layup blocked and MD hit the 3 to go up 16.

My few thoughts:

Whole game was a dud
I'd agree Caleb and Paul had awful shooting nights, but on the other hand outside Russel and Ayala, MD didn't have much balanced scoring either.

Fats was good today and hit tough shots he normally doesn’t hit. I still wouldn’t want fats on my team, but today he was very very very good.

Reactions: KnightTerrors
Caleb was almost exclusively off the ball tonight. Ever since Geo came back Pike has reverted him back to being a catch and shoot wing rather than handling the ball. That is far from his “strength” and he is reverting back to the same low level of inefficieny on the offensive end in this capacity.

I think everyone can see how much more Caleb can give the team in a different role though let’s be clear what the context of that is the bar is still not high.

Caleb is a worse offensive player than he was at the end of his freshmen year, defense has improved...he went from like 5 shots last game to taking over 3 times that amount this game...un****ing believable

Nothing like did or didn’t do lost this game. That is looking for a scapegoat. He tried everything. He yelled. He pressed. He tried different players.

I called time of death of 2021-22 at 930pm when Caleb had his layup blocked and MD hit the 3 to go up 16.

I called it at 49-35 with 13 left

My few thoughts:

Whole game was a dud
5 is why we are in this mess and quite frankly I am a little deforested about the future.

You guys are psycho lol
Every time I have watched him I came away thinking ball sticks in his hands and he doesn’t make players around him better.

we saw a top 25 team today. MD is far from a top 25 team

@conifer can weigh in

I stayed. Kept thinking we would win and every time it would get to 10MD made a tough shot.

it was like watching RU play UConn under Bob Wenzel....it was the worst comeback attempt ever. Honestly I thought more from us, got it to 12 on a 11-3 run, all we had to do was win that first 5 minutes and get it to 7 or 8 and you have the crowd into it. We missed several key conversions when it was 10. I never got the feeling that this team really had the hunger to try and win this game

Every time I have watched him I came away thinking ball sticks in his hands and he doesn’t make players around him better.

@conifer can weigh in
Such an old school mindset really just code for I like “fundamental basketball”.

Maybe you can explain why with all these extra assists this year the offense is worse than last year?

Fact is you need guys who can create their own shots. Especially easy buckets. A missed shot is the same thing as a turnover!

There is one guard in this roster who is a remote scoring threat and you willfully want to turn down another.

IN THE 106 MINUTES OUR GUARDS PLAYED THEY MADE 2 2PT SHOTS.

Paul 28 minutes 0 points! Miller 7 minutes 0 points! Geo 2 pts in 2H! Geo and McConnell combined 9 of 30!

We have a scoring talent issue at the guard position that couldn’t be more glaring.

@conifer can weigh in
basically 2 players, the one guys 6 of 10 in his first 3 minutes and Pike was severely outcoached by Danny Manning just as he was outcoached by Johnson at Minny...after those first 3 minutes, only 17 points was scored by someone other than Ayala or Fats

@conifer can weigh in
Ha, happened to notice this.

Fatts is solid, but yeah, not the greatest ever at his position. Seems more interested in scoring than distributing, and finding the lane less enjoyable in the B1G than when he was at Rhode Island. I don't think he has ever been dominant as a three-point shooter. Nice kid from what I hear.

Maryland is not top 25, for sure. But they are as good as Rutgers, and I was surprised that so many here thought they would complete the sweep...

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
basically 2 players, the one guys 6 of 10 in his first 3 minutes and Pike was severely outcoached by Danny Manning just as he was outcoached by Johnson at Minny...after those first 3 minutes, only 17 points was scored by someone other than Ayala or Fats
Pike was not outcoached. Manning players played better and made shots. Maryland can put 5 guys on the court that are offensive threats. We are incredulous that our guard took 15 shots, none of which are bad shots for virtually every guard/wing in power conference rotations.

since the only thing Paul is adequate at is penetrating and passing as a pg, it’s pointless to play him with Geo at pg who is grossly ball-dominant.

Pike was not outcoached. Manning players played better and made shots. Maryland can put 5 guys on the court that are offensive threats. We are incredulous that our guard took 15 shots, none of which are bad shots for virtually every guard/wing in power conference rotations.

Manning went to big immediately and Pike responded by taking Cliff out....run ensued, checkmate

meanwhile did Pike do ANYTHING to prevent what happened with who was shooting

Look clearly I’ve been very vocal about this teams shortcomings very very early this year.

I am just very very nervous the bottom falls out given our results to date, and the schedule ahead, and because of the recruiting woes (for whatever reason some people want to look the other way) , that the future of the program that was in a nice place 2 years ago is dangerous close to back to the basement. I do not do not do not want that that life as a sports fan having your friends rag on Rutgers all day sucks we all know it.

A few weeks ago you guys were clamoring we can go NCAA still and in my head I’m like, sh*t, I think 12th/13th in the conference is so much more likely but I don’t want to speak it into existence.

The team and entire program needs a jolt in the arm in the worst way right now.

I am worried about competing in a NIL world. I wish I didn’t share your concerns, but I do. I’d like to think Pike will fill holes with the portal. Hyatt definitely has my confidence shaken and the lack of NIL money doesn’t help.

Manning went to big immediately and Pike responded by taking Cliff out....run ensued, checkmate

meanwhile did Pike do ANYTHING to prevent what happened with who was shooting
Pike took Cliff out because he took a bad shot and then almost turned it over. Cliff can’t play 40 and yes when Dean came in MD smelled blood.

Look clearly I’ve been very vocal about this teams shortcomings very very early this year.

I am just very very nervous the bottom falls out given our results to date, and the schedule ahead, and because of the recruiting woes (for whatever reason some people want to look the other way) , that the future of the program that was in a nice place 2 years ago is dangerous close to back to the basement. I do not do not do not want that that life as a sports fan having your friends rag on Rutgers all day sucks we all know it.

A few weeks ago you guys were clamoring we can go NCAA still and in my head I’m like, sh*t, I think 12th/13th in the conference is so much more likely but I don’t want to speak it into existence.

The team and entire program needs a jolt in the arm in the worst way right now.

we can very easily become Nebby of the past 3 seasons, do not think it cannot happen and quickly. Its going to happen next year almost assuredly in bottom 4, I can take a setback year but Pike will have to show something in the portal and for the next season

Figured I'd research why we lose and why we can beat good teams.

DePaul loss 11-17 rim, 7-19 mid, *10-27 3pt* vs 14-30(13-16,1-14), 9-24 3s
Lafayette loss 9-16 rim, 3-14 mid, 4-26 3pt vs 12-28 2s(10-17,2-11), 7-18 3s
UMass loss *22-29 rim*, *9-20 mid*, 3-13 3pt vs 16-32 3pt, 8-19 2s
Illinois loss 6-16 rim, 8-35 mid, *7-17* 3pt vs 20-33(14-19,6-14) 2s, 12-33 3s
Seton Hall loss 12-21 rim, 7-18 mid, 4-18 3pt Vs 22-42(14-24,8-18)
Penn St loss 10-13 rim, 4-24 mid, 5-19 3pt vs 20-42 2s(12-23,8-19)
Minnesota loss 9-16 rim, 4-14 mid, *12-27 3pt* Vs 13-24 from 3
Maryland loss 10-25 rim, 4-15 mid, 8-24 3pt vs 12-25 from 3

Totals 89-153 58.2% rim, 46-159 28.9% mid range 2s, 53-171 31% from 3
Avg, 11.1-19.1 rim, 5.8-19.9 mid, 6.6-21.4 from 3

Clemson 10-17 rim 9-24 mid, 7-17 3s(Ron 4-6)
Rim(Ron 4-4, Cliff 4-5), Mid(Caleb 4-5, Jaden 2-3, Hyatt 2-4)

Purdue 9-16 rim, 9-18 mid, 7-14 3s(Ron 5-7)
Rim(Cliff 5-7, Ron 2-3) Mid(Ron 3-5, Caleb 3-6, Mag 2-2)

Michigan 7-14 rim, 9-19 mid, 11-23 3s(Ron 5-6, Geo 3-7, Caleb 2-3)
Rim(Geo 2-2, Ron 2-5, Cliff 2-4) Mid(Geo 5-6, Hyatt 2-4)

@ Maryland 11-16 rim, 6-18 mid, 10-22 3s

Iowa 12-27 rim, 4-18 mid, 2-13 3s vs Iowa 11-22, 0-12, 6-27
Rim(Ron 4-7, Geo 3-3, Cliff 2-6, Paul 1-3)
Mid(Caleb 2-3, Cliff 1-3, Ralph 1-1) rest of team 0-11

5 Q1/2s 49-90 54.4% rim, 37-97 38.1% mid, 37-89 41.6% 3s

Without Iowa 37-63 58.7%, 33-79 41.8%, 35-76 46.1%
Avg 9.3-15.8, 8.3-19.8, 8.8-19

Not a hard concept, hit shots win, miss shots lose.

Last edited:
The write ups and post mortem stuff is not overly complicated.....but Pike is like most coaches in CBB, he refuses to make lineup adjustments until a losing streak reaches 4 or 5 out of 6 games.....you need to play your most complete players, the most minutes.....

RU has players who can score, who can rebound and who can handle the ball, bolted to the bench. I know, I know, fans only care about stats that dont impact the game or dumb shooting percentages.....but it comes down to basic basketball

Does RU have or do they play with complete basketball players.....are all 5 players on the court, are they complete players??

What is a "complete player".....??

Can the player on the court do all of these things.....dribble (without turning it over), pass, shoot, rebound, defend, willing to share the ball??

A).dribble & create their own offense to shoot/score...

B) pass or willing to pass....

C) Rebound or willing to get hands dirty (box out, compete physically)

D) Defend...are they good, have the footspeed or athletic ability to defend or are they a liability, that teams attack??

E) is the player willing to pass the ball, or are they solely focused on their own number of shots??

Why am I posting something that seems so remedial or basic??

The bottom line is RUs best or roster with the most complete players was 2019-20.

Baker, Young, Mathis, Yeboah, Myles, Mulcahy, Harper, Carter, McConnell.

On the roster for 2019-20, you only had 1 player with a drastic weakness (Mulcahy) who was not good defensively AND was not able to create his own shot or offense. The other players all had an ability to either dribble, pass, shoot or create their own shot, defend and rebound.

Same thing with last year and although Young and Mathis aggressively hunted their own shots and went against the willingness to sometimes share the ball, they at least were PLUS defenders.....Myles was a plus defender in his minutes.

Right now, you have 2 players who fit the category of being able to dribble, pass, shoot or create their own shot, rebound and defend.(defense can work if you're not fast, but have size, arm length etc.

Right now Hyatt and Jones are the only 2 other complete players on the roster to go with Cliff, RHJ, Baker and Caleb....but both are not playing enough or barely playing at all.

So you're now seeing what an opponents scouting report does.....it forces Caleb and Mulcahy to make plays on defense OR make plays on offense....drive to score, get to the FT Line, knock down shots or create offense.....get a stop on defense, stay in front of your man....

For RU, as much of a willing passer that Mulcahy is, he simply isn't good enough in any area, other than passing....he cannot score, doesn't show the ability to be aggressive and look to score and is way too limited defensively, that whomever gets a one on one matchup after a switch on defense, his player winds up generating too many points or scoring opportunities.

Caleb isn't great on offense, but he at least took the shots the opponent presented....he just didn't knock them down.....but he plays and can handle the ball, can create his own shot and certainly can defend.

Mulcahy right now.....has to be giving up 18 to 20 points per game in possessions....but tonight.......NO points.....3 shots.....had nice assists but what else does he do well in 28 to 30 minutes??

If you are playing consistently 4 on 5, in the B1G, and one of the other 4 players hiccups or has an off 3 to 4 minutes.....if one of the other 4, doesn't play perfectly, RU is not able to make up the scoring OR stop the scoring.

Pike appears to be keeping Hyatt and Jones on ice, they can't improve by sitting.... or unwilling to reduce Mulcahy minutes.....and until Mulcahy, takes pride in looking to score, RU is in trouble.....or play Hyatt and Jones to get more offense.....

Hyatt and Jones are simply no worse than Mulcahy on defense BUT are actually better defenders.....and better scorers.....and better overall or more complete players.....

You cannot win consistently with a hole on offense AND a hole on defense.....right now, Maryland game.1, Mulcahy delivered after a god awful 1st half at Maryland.....Maryland game two.....?? Nothing in either half on offense or defense.....

Last edited:
Been saying this for a while his coaching absolutely no in game adjustments and his rotations when he took Cliff out and also put in Jalen Miller we are playing 3-5; in the 7 minutes he was in we scored 2 points and I don't know why everyone is so excited about his defense he gets blown by every game and commits stupid fouls
Just pathetic and this is 100% on Pikell in every way

RU is built for the size and physicality of the BIG10. We lose JY and we are just plain slow on the perimeter and quick guards like Fatts and Willis take advantage. Has been happening all year.

Look at the two big wins, Purdue and Iowa. Not a lot of fast guards on those teams.

Reactions: Scangg
With the back to back losses Rutgers now faces the distict possibility of a losing season.There are only eleven games remaining in the season and Rutgers must win at least five.In most of the remaining games Rutgers will be the underdog because of the opponent or where the game is being played.In the last three games Rutgers has scored 48,65 and 60 points.In hindsight its amazing Rutgers was able to win one game.The pressure on Baker and Harper to score in high double digits is clearly understood.The problem is their inconsistency during games and the lack of scoring from the rest of the team.The stark reality is that Baker and Harper might need to score at least 45 points a game for Rutgers to have a realistic chance of winning.Mediocre recruiting and the lack of player development are obvious problems which will become even more evident next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT