ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 20: Iowa Thoughts

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
What a fun night at the RAC. Complete turnaround from the miserable experience that was Ohio State. Rollcoaster, see saw, up and down, jekyll and hyde, box of chocolates or part of the process...whatever you want to call it that is the way to describe this season. You never know quite what you are going to get from RU on a given night. The one thing I kept saying in the early season games that this team needs to give a full or as fullest a 40 minute effort to be able to win league games. Tonight was the perfect example of the difference between some lackluster play or effort in other games and that which you saw tonight.

Alot has been made about Mike Williams injury hurting this team. Yes its a loss no doubt, but its not a loss that can be overcome. A key part of tonight's win were other players, not the usual suspect stepping up and putting RU in a postion to actually go into cruise control for the latter stages of the game. Issa Thiam step right up. Issa scored 14 points including 4 3pt fgs in a 11 minute span that saw RU take control of the game and go up 14 and they never really looked back from there. RU is a team desperate to find another scoring option besides a struggling Freeman and the Sanders/Baker combo. Issa put forth a yeomans effort in stepping up and answering Pike's call. He played 35 minutes, hit 5-9 fgs scoring 16 points and playing strong defense throughout., I've been saying Pike needs to get Issa and Eugene involved more..more them, less reliance on Freeman and thats what we got. Eugene put in some valuable minutes going 3-4 and grabbing 5 boards. Geo Baker had just an exquisite game, finally showing some of those flashes from earlier in the year. He had 17 points on 6-10 shooting, 3-5 from 3, with 5 boards and 5 assists and 4 steals in 35 minutes. Along with Issa, he stepped up in that first half that gave RU its big cushion. Like Geo's steadiness and calm at the point and his anticipation on defense for some steals was excellent.

Then there is Corey. Corey only 2 points in the first half despite solid D...very quiet and I noted that but Corey turned on the jets in the 2nd half. He calmed the team when Iowa cut into the lead and then solidified the win with his free throws and that monstrous dunk that will surely be on ESPN's top 10 plays of the day tonight. Ended up 16 2nd half points, 18 for the game on 6-13 shooting, hit 6-7 from the line and had an unbelievable 8 assists in a big time 39 minute effort. Perhaps with some of the pressure off of him in the first half, he was able to regroup in the 2nd half. Its alot easier when you do not have to be the #1,2, and 3 scoring options. Freeman also came up big tonight, lots of criticism much of it deserved of late. Tonight Freeman was successful because he played within his abilities and it wasnt about him having to do it all with Sanders. He trusted his teammats, was not a ball hog, was relentless on D...14 points and 8 boards. This was Freeman as we want him to be. Again it helps when your teammates are knocking down shots.

Lets also give some credit to Candido Sa. He played 19 minutes, the most of any of our centers and he stepped up to answer the call having a very solid game....6 points and 3 boards...played the role Pike asked from tonight as Doorson and Doucoure got less minutes. Sa can be an asset to this team in certain matchups and tonight was one of them. Then we have Bullock...now that was a surprise. Great to see him finally get minutes and actually not look lost at all. Even greater to see him knock down that one shot. Overall got 8 minutes of really solid play in the first half where RU was playing at a high level...ditto Dadika who got 3 minutes.

And now major credit to Pikiell. The sheer awfulness of the offense in the last game and the loss of Williams just screamed something had to be shaken up. I felt Pike had sort of fallen in love with a certain lineup, certain rotation, certain guys being the focal point of the offense. A key thing I saw tonight from coach was willingness to trust others to step up. Its a big release for a coach who has to always be second guessing his moves and not wanting to risk failure to reach reward but he did...he did tonight. He played Sa, he played Bullock, he played Dadika, he played Thiam 35 minutes. He trusted Corey and Geo to play as much as they did, 35 minutes each, The big question about RU dealing with no Mike Williams is who will step up and can they step up. Tonight it was answered, now yes RU shot at a clip 53% way over their heads but now you can see that an adjustment here and a player getting more minutes there or inserted to play a role can change how a team looks. And its amazing how much better a team looks when they can knock down shots..eh?

But probably to me the best thing of the night was the defense...it was absolutely delicious. This was a very high scoring Iowa team coming in, they like to push tempo and run and they couldnt do that because RU was hitting on offense and Iowa seemed to really struggle and perhaps had not encounter a team in the Big 10 that stresses defense so much. Iowa was clearly bothered and rattled and RU disrupted any kind of flow. Only that brief flurry from Bonhannon was all the Hawkeyes could muster. They struggled outside and inside, RU turned them over 17 times, alot of shots were deep into the shot clock. RU dictated the pace and tempo especially in the first part of the 2nd half where while RU was not scoring all that much they simply were shutting down Iowa and keeping them at bay. Even though Iowa got it down to 11 and me and people on this board were starting to feel nervous, the fact is this game was never in doubt from the first few minutes of the 2nd half on, RU was never going to let Iowa comeback and they certainly proved it in the last few minutes sealing the deal emphatically.

Now....Iowa plays horrible defense...they were just the tonic for an RU offense that was struggling. I felt really good early on as RU was getitng the shots they wanted in the offense and these were not prayers or low percentage shots. If not for Bohannon, RU would have been up over 20 in the first half. I think the first half was RU's 2nd best half of hoops behind the SHU game. RU was screaming for a drop down in competition level...just go through the teams...MSU 2x, Purdue, OSU, Minn...all probable NCAA tourney teams and 3 of them on the road. Hard to get a read on how RU fit in especially because they looked so dead vs OSU. Now we see that RU clearly can compete in this bottom 7 half of the Big 10. Win over Wisconsin at home and win at home over Iowa. RU has a bunch of games in this grouping, they will not win every one, but I have a high confidence that they will compete in these games. Tonight went a long way to dispelling a little negativity that was creeping after the OSU game and the Williams injury

What a fun night at the RAC. Complete turnaround from the miserable experience that was Ohio State. Rollcoaster, see saw, up and down, jekyll and hyde, box of chocolates or part of the process...whatever you want to call it that is the way to describe this season. You never know quite what you are going to get from RU on a given night. The one thing I kept saying in the early season games that this team needs to give a full or as fullest a 40 minute effort to be able to win league games. Tonight was the perfect example of the difference between some lackluster play or effort in other games and that which you saw tonight.

Alot has been made about Mike Williams injury hurting this team. Yes its a loss no doubt, but its not a loss that can be overcome. A key part of tonight's win were other players, not the usual suspect stepping up and putting RU in a postion to actually go into cruise control for the latter stages of the game. Issa Thiam step right up. Issa scored 14 points including 4 3pt fgs in a 11 minute span that saw RU take control of the game and go up 14 and they never really looked back from there. RU is a team desperate to find another scoring option besides a struggling Freeman and the Sanders/Baker combo. Issa put forth a yeomans effort in stepping up and answering Pike's call. He played 35 minutes, hit 5-9 fgs scoring 16 points and playing strong defense throughout., I've been saying Pike needs to get Issa and Eugene involved more..more them, less reliance on Freeman and thats what we got. Eugene put in some valuable minutes going 3-4 and grabbing 5 boards. Geo Baker had just an exquisite game, finally showing some of those flashes from earlier in the year. He had 17 points on 6-10 shooting, 3-5 from 3, with 5 boards and 5 assists and 4 steals in 35 minutes. Along with Issa, he stepped up in that first half that gave RU its big cushion. Like Geo's steadiness and calm at the point and his anticipation on defense for some steals was excellent.

Then there is Corey. Corey only 2 points in the first half despite solid D...very quiet and I noted that but Corey turned on the jets in the 2nd half. He calmed the team when Iowa cut into the lead and then solidified the win with his free throws and that monstrous dunk that will surely be on ESPN's top 10 plays of the day tonight. Ended up 16 2nd half points, 18 for the game on 6-13 shooting, hit 6-7 from the line and had an unbelievable 8 assists in a big time 39 minute effort. Perhaps with some of the pressure off of him in the first half, he was able to regroup in the 2nd half. Its alot easier when you do not have to be the #1,2, and 3 scoring options. Freeman also came up big tonight, lots of criticism much of it deserved of late. Tonight Freeman was successful because he played within his abilities and it wasnt about him having to do it all with Sanders. He trusted his teammats, was not a ball hog, was relentless on D...14 points and 8 boards. This was Freeman as we want him to be. Again it helps when your teammates are knocking down shots.

Lets also give some credit to Candido Sa. He played 19 minutes, the most of any of our centers and he stepped up to answer the call having a very solid game....6 points and 3 boards...played the role Pike asked from tonight as Doorson and Doucoure got less minutes. Sa can be an asset to this team in certain matchups and tonight was one of them. Then we have Bullock...now that was a surprise. Great to see him finally get minutes and actually not look lost at all. Even greater to see him knock down that one shot. Overall got 8 minutes of really solid play in the first half where RU was playing at a high level...ditto Dadika who got 3 minutes.

And now major credit to Pikiell. The sheer awfulness of the offense in the last game and the loss of Williams just screamed something had to be shaken up. I felt Pike had sort of fallen in love with a certain lineup, certain rotation, certain guys being the focal point of the offense. A key thing I saw tonight from coach was willingness to trust others to step up. Its a big release for a coach who has to always be second guessing his moves and not wanting to risk failure to reach reward but he did...he did tonight. He played Sa, he played Bullock, he played Dadika, he played Thiam 35 minutes. He trusted Corey and Geo to play as much as they did, 35 minutes each, The big question about RU dealing with no Mike Williams is who will step up and can they step up. Tonight it was answered, now yes RU shot at a clip 53% way over their heads but now you can see that an adjustment here and a player getting more minutes there or inserted to play a role can change how a team looks. And its amazing how much better a team looks when they can knock down shots..eh?

But probably to me the best thing of the night was the defense...it was absolutely delicious. This was a very high scoring Iowa team coming in, they like to push tempo and run and they couldnt do that because RU was hitting on offense and Iowa seemed to really struggle and perhaps had not encounter a team in the Big 10 that stresses defense so much. Iowa was clearly bothered and rattled and RU disrupted any kind of flow. Only that brief flurry from Bonhannon was all the Hawkeyes could muster. They struggled outside and inside, RU turned them over 17 times, alot of shots were deep into the shot clock. RU dictated the pace and tempo especially in the first part of the 2nd half where while RU was not scoring all that much they simply were shutting down Iowa and keeping them at bay. Even though Iowa got it down to 11 and me and people on this board were starting to feel nervous, the fact is this game was never in doubt from the first few minutes of the 2nd half on, RU was never going to let Iowa comeback and they certainly proved it in the last few minutes sealing the deal emphatically.

Now....Iowa plays horrible defense...they were just the tonic for an RU offense that was struggling. I felt really good early on as RU was getitng the shots they wanted in the offense and these were not prayers or low percentage shots. If not for Bohannon, RU would have been up over 20 in the first half. I think the first half was RU's 2nd best half of hoops behind the SHU game. RU was screaming for a drop down in competition level...just go through the teams...MSU 2x, Purdue, OSU, Minn...all probable NCAA tourney teams and 3 of them on the road. Hard to get a read on how RU fit in especially because they looked so dead vs OSU. Now we see that RU clearly can compete in this bottom 7 half of the Big 10. Win over Wisconsin at home and win at home over Iowa. RU has a bunch of games in this grouping, they will not win every one, but I have a high confidence that they will compete in these games. Tonight went a long way to dispelling a little negativity that was creeping after the OSU game and the Williams injury

Well put BAC! I said it the other day: each guy on the roster is going to have to give "that" much extra, in each facet of the game, and that we're going to have to NOT have any 5-7 minute "lapses," each game, in order to win the ones we CAN win without Mike on the floor.

1 game down perfectly!

36 minutes of great basketball. only gripe was how they closed it out. team had a 23 point lead at some point yet Sanders played almost the entire game.

Geo played outstanding D as did Corey. Geo was MVP, but Corey made the passes that led to Geo and Issa knocking down the 3s that busted the zone. Overlooked how Corey did vs. zone.

Bullock was a pleasant surprise and I actually expect him to be a part of the rotation. He doesn't lack confidence and the team needs that. Now you aren't getting more than 5 or 6 possessions out of him before he needs to come out

DoorSa'n were good tonight.

I don't know what to expect from either team on Sunday. I can see us lose by 30 and I can see us win by 15 and everything in between.

Reactions: RUChoppin
you cannot knock this team for not looking pretty...lead was 23 at one point, they never let it belown 10 and that was with 2 minutes when the game was over.

Consider RU went 7 minutes with only 3 points and no made fg yet still led by 17....only getting outscored 9-3...to me that is a great sign....RU was playing ferocious defense and being very resilient to its offense struggling..this team will always struggle on offense even on a night when they shoot 53%....so that they had such a horrid stretch but still were up 17 and won the game by 16 SAYS ALOT.

The Iowa zone was pretty weak. Fran's days are numbered.

Some observations / thoughts:

- Was glad to see Dourcore get first shot of game as play was designed for him to get him involved. Was also encouraged that he didn't commit his first foul until 5 minutes in or so. He also rebounded well in the limited minutes he played but he has to learn to stop committing silly fouls game after game.
- Freeman appeared very motivated to rebound especially in first half. I think Coach sitting him last game had a lot to do with that.
- Geo Baker was also very motivated and he played well.
- Would have liked to see just a tad of better defense on Bohanon.
- Love that Thiam was aggressive in 1st half and now he needs to do do it for full game as well as going inside more. Banged knees in first half and thought he was hurt but he came back into game right after.
- Coach was really into the game.
-Was glad to see Bullock play and he seemed posied and hit a beautiful swish as well.
- Iowa is awful but I found humor in their hockey line changes at times.
- Glad to see Freeman only hoist one 3 for which Pike said if he gets 10 rebounds - he'll allow him to hoist a 3.
- Shaq's FT shooting much better as he has been practicing very hard.
- Moshe Dailey - #1 on Iowa - was slated to come to RU 2 years ago but when coaching change occurred - Dailey went to Iowa. Fine with me.
- Souf was in for about 2 mnutes in first half when Iowa went on 8-0 tear or something similar and was never seen from again. Was it his defense against Bohanon?
- After the ref got hurt, the same ref was almost knocked down again by MAtt Bullock of all people but luckily Bullock saw him and braced himself and caught the ref before he fell again.
- How long does Fran McCaffrey last? His squad is awful.
- I thought we had some issues with the press.
- As Sub of the game, does Bullock win some Jersey Mike heros? Hope not for his sake.
- Mike Williams was on a scooter at the end of the game and his mood appeared a lot better today than Sunday. Enjoyed watching him do the RU Fight Song at the 4 minute time out. He's a true loyal son.
- And last but not least how bout Corey Sanders' game today and his dunk,,,wow!

Souf had been playing good D as of late but him on Bohanon was a bad matchup. Souf can get in your grill but he doesn't have the long arms and height that Geo provided. Thought Geo played excellent D on Bohanon

you cannot knock this team for not looking pretty...lead was 23 at one point, they never let it belown 10 and that was with 2 minutes when the game was over.

Consider RU went 7 minutes with only 3 points and no made fg yet still led by 17....only getting outscored 9-3...to me that is a great sign....RU was playing ferocious defense and being very resilient to its offense struggling..this team will always struggle on offense even on a night when they shoot 53%....so that they had such a horrid stretch but still were up 17 and won the game by 16 SAYS ALOT.

The Iowa zone was pretty weak. Fran's days are numbered.

they looked very ragged as Iowa was cutting the lead and then stupidly Fran started having them foul. Our D went from stingy to awful.

I think all 4 of Thaim's 3s were against zone. Iowa played mostly man in 2nd half which explains why Issa stopped shooting

Reactions: gregkoko
Yes but listen this team hasnt had a big lead like that on a Power 5 conference team, hard to fault them, we as RU fans get worried but really it was never in single digits. I think they were a little tight in making a mistake...remember Iowa is horrible on defense so you want to attack and stay aggressive, trying to pass around and run some clock actually works against us vs them....plus we were bothered by their press, perhaps we didnt scout that, seemed to be a wrinkle Fran through in....key is when they started hitting some shots and 3s, we answered by making like 10-12 fts down the stretch

I think all 4 of Thaim's 3s were against zone. Iowa played mostly man in 2nd half which explains why Issa stopped shooting

In the post game presser Thiam says that Pike tells him not to shoot but wait until he’s wide open, so it seems he’s following orders.

But yeah tonight it became clear that you’re right, next seasonThiam will get beat out by the 2 incoming freshman and wil only play about 8 minutes a game, lol

There is a rumor floating around that Bullock was seen running the steps at the RAC after the game tonight........He wants more minutes...lol

Very good post and says it all. I really didn’t know what to expect tonight. I thought Garza was going to be very problematic and our bigs did a great job on him. We really need to get Thiam the ball because he can light it up and we need scorers. Corey and Geo were outstanding and you’re right on the money with Freeman as he did the things he’s good at doing and not wasting opportunities. Pikiell had our guys ready tonight. No doubt about that! I love watching relentless defense. Just keep pushing and let’s see what happens in the Big 10 tourney. I’m sure very few teams want to draw Rutgers?

In the post game presser Thiam says that Pike tells him not to shoot but wait until he’s wide open, so it seems he’s following orders.

But yeah tonight it became clear that you’re right, next seasonThiam will get beat out by the 2 incoming freshman and wil only play about 8 minutes a game, lol

hitting 4 open shots vs zone doesnt change my thinking much. his defense was very good again tonight though

That also explains why Corey took over the game in the second half. Iowa could not contain him in man to man. They had to pick their poison - go man stop the threes or zone to stop Sanders penetration. It is certainly great when RU can hit outside shots. Who knew we had not one but two zone busters.

hitting 4 open shots vs zone doesnt change my thinking much. his defense was very good again tonight though

Uh huh, before you said he wouldn’t shoot or perform well during B1G play. Now Thiam shoots 4-6 from 3 against Iowa who you thought Rutgers would barely beat and it’s like “Oh that was because Iowa was playing zone” lol

And why did Iowa switch to man-to-man after the 1st half?

Not to mention that Thiam also scored driving.

I think after tonight that we can all admit that Thiam is not the same player that he was last year.

What a fun game to watch.

That first half was beautiful. Defense was smothering. Good ball movement. Sanders facilitating. Thiam and Baker raining threes (and that one beautiful interior shot by Thiam). Freeman fighting hard on the boards and scrapping for put backs (and the reverse alley oop from Baker). Omoruyi taking charges. Doucoure playing defense without fouling.

Hopefully that was a brief glimpse into the future of this program under Pike. Wow.

Second half was also good, though we took our foot off the gas a bit. Defense still great - switch to man changed the focus away from Thiam to Sanders, who took over. Couple of beautiful shots, and a "you're giving this to me? really?" dunk. Also good to see Bullock and Dadika getting minutes and contributing.

And hitting the free throws down the stretch!

Wish we could play like this every game. Loved it.

Last edited:
Some observations / thoughts:

- Was glad to see Dourcore get first shot of game as play was designed for him to get him involved. Was also encouraged that he didn't commit his first foul until 5 minutes in or so. He also rebounded well in the limited minutes he played but he has to learn to stop committing silly fouls game after game.
- Freeman appeared very motivated to rebound especially in first half. I think Coach sitting him last game had a lot to do with that.
- Geo Baker was also very motivated and he played well.
- Would have liked to see just a tad of better defense on Bohanon.
- Love that Thiam was aggressive in 1st half and now he needs to do do it for full game as well as going inside more. Banged knees in first half and thought he was hurt but he came back into game right after.
- Coach was really into the game.
-Was glad to see Bullock play and he seemed posied and hit a beautiful swish as well.
- Iowa is awful but I found humor in their hockey line changes at times.
- Glad to see Freeman only hoist one 3 for which Pike said if he gets 10 rebounds - he'll allow him to hoist a 3.
- Shaq's FT shooting much better as he has been practicing very hard.
- Moshe Dailey - #1 on Iowa - was slated to come to RU 2 years ago but when coaching change occurred - Dailey went to Iowa. Fine with me.
- Souf was in for about 2 mnutes in first half when Iowa went on 8-0 tear or something similar and was never seen from again. Was it his defense against Bohanon?
- After the ref got hurt, the same ref was almost knocked down again by MAtt Bullock of all people but luckily Bullock saw him and braced himself and caught the ref before he fell again.
- How long does Fran McCaffrey last? His squad is awful.
- I thought we had some issues with the press.
- As Sub of the game, does Bullock win some Jersey Mike heros? Hope not for his sake.
- Mike Williams was on a scooter at the end of the game and his mood appeared a lot better today than Sunday. Enjoyed watching him do the RU Fight Song at the 4 minute time out. He's a true loyal son.
- And last but not least how bout Corey Sanders' game today and his dunk,,,wow!
Agree about trouble with press. All in all we were okay, but couple of times we were lucky to recover ball.

It was great to see the guards get Issa some good spot up looks. I was wondering what happened to Issa in the 2nd half.

I love his defense this year. Very impressive.

Yes but listen this team hasnt had a big lead like that on a Power 5 conference team, hard to fault them, we as RU fans get worried but really it was never in single digits. I think they were a little tight in making a mistake...remember Iowa is horrible on defense so you want to attack and stay aggressive, trying to pass around and run some clock actually works against us vs them....plus we were bothered by their press, perhaps we didnt scout that, seemed to be a wrinkle Fran through in....key is when they started hitting some shots and 3s, we answered by making like 10-12 fts down the stretch
I missed a game for the 1st time in several YEARS! Took a "short nap" at 5 pm

But I knew I could count on a BAC retrospective!

I love all the positive posts in general

I trust coach P
I trust his plan
I trust his player development!

Corey been absolutely carrying this team for three years now. The heart and soul of this team. We win games because Corey simply does not turn the ball over. The chemistry between him and Gio is clearly palpable. Thiam got the outside shots that he previously wasn't getting and low and behold he hit them. Hit some outside shots, free up the court, let GIo and Corey take over, Eugene improving and you have the making of a Power 5 blow out win over Iowa! Revenge for that NCAA loss and the ghost of BJ Armstrong.

Corey comes back convinced we get that NCAA bid next year.

I wonder if Fran comes back for Iowa?

We win games because Corey simply does not turn the ball over.

Baker's been great in this area too, especially for a freshman. Combined, Corey and Geo have 140 assists to 79 turnovers (1.77:1 A/TO ratio). Corey's at 1.73:1 and Geo's at 1.82:1.

In conference play, Corey's been even better while Geo's seen a slight dropoff, with the pair going 42 ast to 20 turnovers (2.1:1)... with Corey at 2.45:1 and Geo at 1.67:1

Minor nit -

At least twice, we failed to inbound the ball again.

Freeman panicked in the 2nd half and threw it out of bounds into the Iowa bench as he was looking for Geo.

Eugene? Threw it away from under the basket in Section 118.

Is this normal for all teams to struggle with this for a couple plays a game?
Or do we have to get that fixed?

It obviously cost us the Stony Brook game.

good foul shooting down the stretch to ice the game...including Sa hitting 2.

Look, I’m not trying to have huge expectations and I know michigan is a very good team, but maybe we catch em sleeping. Conference championship sunday maybe a weak crowd? catching them looking ahead to their next game which is vs purdue? Who knows. We played them welll last year. Lets get em

Great great game by our guys! Maybe the most complete game I've seen from us in a number of years. Looked like the refs were going to let Iowa get back in with some phantom calls in the 2nd half, but our guys fought through & overcame the calls. Not easy to do. Go RU.

't

Well put BAC! I said it the other day: each guy on the roster is going to have to give "that" much extra, in each facet of the game, and that we're going to have to NOT have any 5-7 minute "lapses," each game, in order to win the ones we CAN win without Mike on the floor.

1 game down perfectly!
Imagine the teams Coach Pike will produce when his recruiting brings in the really top kids.And it will.

Baker's been great in this area too, especially for a freshman. Combined, Corey and Geo have 140 assists to 79 turnovers (1.77:1 A/TO ratio). Corey's at 1.73:1 and Geo's at 1.82:1.

In conference play, Corey's been even better while Geo's seen a slight dropoff, with the pair going 42 ast to 20 turnovers (2.1:1)... with Corey at 2.45:1 and Geo at 1.67:1
Corey and Geo’s assists would be even higher if we did not blow easy layups. We blew 5 in the first half alone and the halftime lead could have easily been 24 instead of 14.

I look forward to the Kyk-like mea culpa you will give us when you finally realize Thiam is developing as a high level WF before our eyes.

I will guarantee you would get it from me.

I really was hoping Issa would carry it thru to the 2nd half and score 20+ and maybe a light bulb would go off saying...
A i can do it
B. the team needs me.

he caught fire in 1st half and when you look at his 2nd half box score,,,18 minutes and ZERO shots.

Issa will have an important role with this team in the future. It just won't be playing 30+ minutes and averaging 10 PPG.

I will guarantee you would get it from me.

I really was hoping Issa would carry it thru to the 2nd half and score 20+ and maybe a light bulb would go off saying...
A i can do it
B. the team needs me.

he caught fire in 1st half and when you look at his 2nd half box score,,,18 minutes and ZERO shots.

Issa will have an important role with this team in the future. It just won't be playing 30+ minutes and averaging 10 PPG.

So ... he is averaging 8 ppg this year, on better than 40% 3-point shooting. True, it has not been a consistent 6-10 points in each game. But how on earth can you say he is unlikely continue to improve, so that by his Junior season he might not average 10-11 ppg game?

That is my projection: Next season Thiam averages 10 ppg, or better. He may never do better than that, due to mentality, killer instinct (or lack thereof), or overall athleticism. Or ... he might be able to get to 12-14 ppg by his Senor season. I say the odds of Thiam averaging 12+ ppg by his Senior season are just as good as his playing time being cut to be just a role player, as you suggest or imply.

ADVERTISEMENT