ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 20 MICHIGAN: Simply Overmatched

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Nothing to recap. I think we all knew how this one was going to go down. RU is a good team. RU is a NCAA tournament team.. They are not a team that can be a Final 4 team or even make a deep run. Michigan is. Michigan is a legit national title contender. There is no shame in what happened tonight. Rutgers was walloped tonight not because of the effort or because they did not compete, RU was waxed because Michigan is that good. Like a Gonzaga or a Baylor, Michigan is well coached machine where all players know their roles from starters to bench....all contribute...all move the ball..all pass the ball...all can hit shots...all can hit 3s. Rutgers is not on that level. Rutgers has parts but its flawed team lacking a real physical 4 and quite frankly if you cannot shoot the 3 ball, your chances of beating elite teams is very small. RU was able to knock Illinois off early in the season and only because they shot the 3. There was not one thing that RU did to make Michigan feel uncomfortable until the game was already decided and there is not one aspect of the game where RU has an advantage over Michigan. RU had too many of their top players shoot blanks and not elevate their game to pull an upset off. Just a horrific matchup. I thought Iowa was better than RU across the board last week well Michigan is on another level than Iowa.

As I am writing this RU is playing hard and has not allowed Michigan to get a fg for 6 minutes. Those are the small victories and positives to take away from tonight's loss. This could have been a 30 point game easily. Take heart that Rutgers is battling even as they overmatched. Contributing it and not panicking when the shots are not falling. The defensive effort in the middle parts of the 2nd half was exceptional from this team. Against most Big 10 schools it would pay dividends. Love the fight tonight unfortunately we have too many players that come up empty when we need a basket.

Time to shake off the loss because a big game on Sunday vs surging Maryland coming back. Its a game where a win will clinch a NCAA bid for Rutgers. Maryland is rolling and I am sure want revenge for losing to RU at home and for last years game where RU just wiped the floor with them. RU came out with great intensity tonight and that was good to see so we need to bring a similar type game. RU got caught hanging their heads in their five game losing streak so they need to nip it in the bud real quick because I do not think this team does well when it puts pressure on themselves, they become tight.

Looking at the future, if RU wants to be Big 10 title contender or NCAA final 4 contender, you see what RU has to do with recruiting by looking at Michigan.. Pike has brought in a sort of sketchy bunch right now after the big group leaves and that is my concern going forward. I love Jaden but we need alot more of those. You cannot win at an elite level without multiple three point threats and I know its easier said then done but you need big men who are consistent threats on offense and/or a 6ft8 4 that can shoot the 3.

Last edited:
Nothing to recap. I think we all knew how this one was going to go down. RU is a good team. RU is a NCAA tournament team.. They are not a team that can be a Final 4 team or even make a deep run. Michigan is. Michigan is a legit national title contender. There is no shame in what happened tonight. Rutgers was walloped tonight not because of the effort or because they did not compete, RU was waxed because Michigan is that good. Like a Gonzaga or a Baylor, Michigan is well coached machine where all players know their roles from starters to bench....all contribute...all move the ball..all pass the ball...all can hit shots...all can hit 3s. Rutgers is not on that level. Rutgers has parts but its flawed team lacking a real physical 4 and quite frankly if you cannot shoot the 3 ball, your chances of beating elite teams is very small. RU was able to knock Illinois off early in the season and only because they shot the 3. There was not one thing that RU did to make Michigan feel uncomfortable until the game was already decided and there is not one aspect of the game where RU has an advantage over Michigan. RU had too many of their top players shoot blanks and not elevate their game to pull an upset off. Just a horrific matchup. I thought Iowa was better than RU across the board last week well Michigan is on another level than Iowa.

As I am writing this RU is playing hard and has not allowed Michigan to get a fg for 6 minutes. Those are the small victories and positives to take away from tonight's loss. This could have been a 30 point game easily. Take heart that Rutgers is battling even as they overmatched. Contributing it and not panicking when the shots are not falling. The defensive effort in the middle parts of the 2nd half was exceptional from this team. Against most Big 10 schools it would pay dividends. Love the fight tonight unfortunately we have too many players that come up empty when we need a basket.

Time to shake off the loss because a big game on Sunday vs surging Maryland coming back. Its a game where a win will clinch a NCAA bid for Rutgers. Maryland is rolling and I am sure want revenge for losing to RU at home and for last years game where RU just wiped the floor with them. RU came out with great intensity tonight and that was good to see so we need to bring a similar type game. RU got caught hanging their heads in their five game losing streak so they need to nip it in the bud real quick because I do not think this team does well when it puts pressure on themselves, they become tight.

Looking at the future, if RU wants to be Big 10 title contender or NCAA final 4 contender, you see what RU has to do with recruiting. Pike has brought in a sort of sketchy bunch right now after the big group leaves and that is my concern going forward. I love Jaden but we need alot more of those. You cannot win at an elite level without multiple three point threats and I know its easier said then done but you need big men who are consistent threats on offense and/or a 6ft8 4 that can shoot the 3.

Down 8 with a chance

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Under 40% from the floor, 62% from the stripe and not so hot from the 3.

Is that because OF Michgian or beacuse of us?

Too many fade aways.
Too many missed shots within 3 ft of the basket.
Terrible from three.
Our defense is enough to keep us in the game against most teams but Michigan's just too good on offense.

I didnt read this crap... only the headline but we only beat ourselves tonight with poor shooting, missing those clutch 3s that give you that momentum

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
We missed a lot of open 3s. I don't think we played poorly in terms of game plan. Played good defense, got open shots. Just didn't hit them.

Reactions: KevH and Loyal_2RU
They had one basket in 10 minutes with very few free throws in that period

they gave us EVERY chance to make thar a 2-5 point game coming down the stretch But we didn’t make shots when we need to

it was 56-39 and in 8 minutes we only made Up 8-3 to make it 59-47....they gave us every opportunity to make that a 4-5 point game ...but we didn’t take advantage

same game as the ga
same game as the garden last year

This game was winnable. Kept Michigan scoreless for a stretch of about 6 and a half minutes and did absolutely nothing with it. I think Michigan’s extended pause showed up during that stretch, they looked tired and we didn’t capitalize. Missed a ton of open looks, and Baker and Harper apparently left their offense in the locker room at halftime. Mulcahy was a non factor tonight and simply could not guard Wagner. Also inexplicable to leave Myles on the bench for as long as he was tonight.

I think Young looked fantastic tonight, would have liked to see us hand him the ball and give him the green light a bit earlier.

That's my biggest takeaway tonight. Assuming we finally make the Dance, Pike needs to step up the recruiting. A roster of gritty players with a chip on their shoulder is just not gonna get you to the next level.

People looking at scores, see we lost by 7 at the number 3 team and are probably impressed, which is the opposite of last week's 13 point loss at Iowa.
They don't realize we were down 16 in the second half tonight, the same way they don't know the Iowa result was skewed by the early fouls.

The one concern is that we “sort of choke “...when the lights get brighter...and just don’t finish makable shots

iowa 2-19 from three ...cost us a chance
Michigan 1-9 from three ...cost us a chance
wisconsin was something like That and cost us a chance

it’s going to be simple

Our March will be defined about how we shoot from three

if we wake up ...look out

if we don’t ...bring one and done is really a possibility

and some of making the shots is mental andconfidence

do we wake up or not is the question

Agree with your assessment bac completely.

UM is really good. Their defense was very tough. Granted our shooting wasn’t good but UM made it hard. And they have so many weapons.

Our second half effort was impressive. I’ll just say this - we play that for rest of season and we will easily get more wins and make the dance

Because it’s 2021, he shoots under 40% from the line, and has no face up game. That’s why.

And draws fouls and forces the defense to adjust to the inside game which opens up the guards on the perimeter. Guy has the best hands on the team and is a great passer - feels like we don’t capitalize on his ability enough.

Last edited:

Looking at the future, if RU wants to be Big 10 title contender or NCAA final 4 contender, you see what RU has to do with recruiting by looking at Michigan.. Pike has brought in a sort of sketchy bunch right now after the big group leaves and that is my concern going forward. I love Jaden but we need alot more of those. You cannot win at an elite level without multiple three point threats and I know its easier said then done but you need big men who are consistent threats on offense and/or a 6ft8 4 that can shoot the 3.
One of the few recaps of yours I disagree with even a little. Agree they're better, but disagree we got "walloped." If we simply shot just a little better, including make a 3-4 of the 5-6 bunnies we missed, this is likely an even game or close to it. And our defense was superb, even though they made shots.

Speaking of Jaden, it may be time to throw him out there. I don't see a problem with him taking playing time from others.

The other thing I think people miss is that Michigan even with their size they can all drive. They all are true triple threats. A lot of our guys cannot drive under control. Plus they are smart. The ability to drive effectively with their size from every player makes them good offensively. Plus they play great defense. We have very good players but not elite player. That’s the difference right now.

Reactions: KevH
RU was waxed because Michigan is that good. Like a Gonzaga or a Baylor, Michigan is well coached machine where all players know their roles from starters to bench....all contribute...all move the ball..all pass the ball...all can hit shots...all can hit 3s. Rutgers is not on that level. Rutgers has parts but its flawed team lacking a real physical 4 and quite frankly if you cannot shoot the 3 ball, your chances of beating elite teams is very small.

It's just bizarre to me that this is what people take from this game.

Rutgers had every opportunity to win this game with just an average (for Rutgers!) shooting performance. This group of players is somehow like the 25th best team in the country and could probably be like 15th but for a better offensive strategy, but people here are advocating for taking fewer threes (fewer?? we are already like 300th is 3p rate ffs) and slowing the game down which is just the exact opposite of what we should be doing.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Because it’s 2021, he shoots under 40% from the line, and has no face up game. That’s why.
The dude was 6 of 7 tonight from the floor after a 5 for 5 performance. Pike should be screaming at his guys to feed him more. For an offensively challenged basketball team it’s an asset they’re not taking advantage of. I’d rather see him with the chances than Caleb hoisting up 15 shots.

Rutgers had every opportunity to win this game with just an average (for Rutgers!) shooting performance. This group of players is somehow like the 25th best team in the country and could probably be like 15th but for a better offensive strategy, but people here are advocating for taking fewer threes (fewer?? we are already like 300th is 3p rate ffs) and slowing the game down which is just the exact opposite of what we should be doing.
It was a solid beating. That’s the difference from a National title contender to a team that is 20-30th best

One of the few recaps of yours I disagree with even a little. Agree they're better, but disagree we got "walloped." If we simply shot just a little better, including make a 3-4 of the 5-6 bunnies we missed, this is likely an even game or close to it. And our defense was superb, even though they made shots.

we were walloped when it counted, Michgan went up 17 and the game was over. They let up and credit to RU for fighting back

if people are saying oh well we could have made a few shots and won this game...no, it wasnt happening like that. You just cannot add made shots and then assume that Michigan does the same brainfunk for the rest of the game.

IF RU made their shots and bunnies in the first half, then yes we could have won with a similar effort in the 2nd half but the game was lost in the last few minutes of the first half when the lead grew to 9 and immediatley the first 5 minutes in the 2nd when Michigan showed they were not playing around.

it was a 14 point game with 2:49 left at 63-49. Its nice that RU kept it close but this game was still 11 points when Wagner ended the game for reals with 1.11 left. RU never even got it to 8 with the ball....this game was never in doubt

Asidefrom our own offensive flaws,, I have to say, Michigan's offense when it's humming is a thing of beauty. Great spacing,, Alot of ball movement, cutting and creating open shots. And hitting them. The fact that we defended them as well as we did was impressive.

I'm very interested to see how deep in the tournament they go. I think in hindsight, we will look at thisas a respectable loss and great defensive effort. We didn't lose because of any flaws that are surprising. Missed easy shots, and needed 1 or 2 more threes.

an average shooting night for them is what they shot., you could say RU shoots 46% but have you really been watching.,

do you think Michigan played their average in the 2nd half when they didnt hit a fg for 6 minutes

RU was down double digits for about 17 minutes in the 2nd half, yet to me its bizarre you are saying that they had every opportunity to win

stop breaking everything down into metrics and percentages. The game was lost in the first half...we missed bunnies, didnt get enough stops. For RU to win, we had to be with a possession or two at half and then win the battle the first 5 minutes. Instead Michigan took that 7 point lead and made it 17,

gee if we make shots we win, every game you can say that

RU was 1-10 from 3 until JY made two in garbage time.....RU has shot like 25% from 3 the past 6 games yet you are clinging to some narrative that because our average says 35% because we were hot early on that we are headed back to that time

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT