ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 20 MICHIGAN: Simply Overmatched

This recap is way off base....Michigan played OK....if they play a team that can knock down some shots and don't give up a ton of offensive rebounds, they're beatable.....I don't see a Final Four team there at all.

In any event if they are, then RU is much further along than we all believe. I think watching Iowa dismantle Wisconsin tonight shows that if you get open looks against them and make them, totally different ball game.

Ohio State will undress Michigan Sunday unless they play wayyyy better than the last 2 games.

This recap is way off base....Michigan played OK....if they play a team that can knock down some shots and don't give up a ton of offensive rebounds, they're beatable.....I don't see a Final Four team there at all.

In any event if they are, then RU is much further along than we all believe. I think watching Iowa dismantle Wisconsin tonight shows that if you get open looks against them and make them, totally different ball game.

Ohio State will undress Michigan Sunday unless they play wayyyy better than the last 2 games.

Michigan played elite for abourt 33 minutes and let the foot off the gas, no surprise given their covid pause. RU played at a high level in the first half and was still down 9. That is how good Michigan played. Michigan could have won by 20 plus if they had focused, they were still up 14 with 2:49 left!

Michigan is a consensus one seed and 3 overall and you are saying nah not a final 4 contender. Interesting take

The fact that Michgan took down two 6 seeds down rather easily when it came down to it without playing a full 40 minutes should tell you alot.

Ohio State struggled with a bad Penn State team tonight before putting them away, didnt look impressive at all.

Last edited:
watching this game I could see Michigan as being the better team....last week you said Iowa was better and I didn't see it. The difference between Iowa and Michigan is clear, although I also see Iowa being a better coached team than Michigan.

watching this game I could see Michigan as being the better team....last week you said Iowa was better and I didn't see it. The difference between Iowa and Michigan is clear, although I also see Iowa being a better coached team than Michigan.

Why do you think Iowa is a better coached team? Would love to hear more as Howard is going to be a coach of the year finalist and lose to Few

Michigan has beaten 5 NCAA opponents by double digits (Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland 2x), 6 if you include Toledo. Only 3 of their 10 conference wins are single digits. Supposedly this is the best conference in the country and Michigan is 10-1

well honestly I think he's coach of the year more so because of the talent. Iowa overall doesn't seem as talented and they have a system. Michigan has athletes. IDK if that makes sense and I could be wrong what do I know????

Why do you think Iowa is a better coached team? Would love to hear more as Howard is going to be a coach of the year finalist and lose to Few

well honestly I think he's coach of the year more so because of the talent. Iowa overall doesn't seem as talented and they have a system. Michigan has athletes. IDK if that makes sense and I could be wrong what do I know????

Haha alright it doesn’t make sense but that’s fine :)

[

Iowa and Michigan are better than RU. Michigan is better than Iowa although Iowa can certainly beat Michigan. I think Michigan is well coached as is Iowa....more balance on Michigan, they wont put up 90 like Iowa but they dont have to because their defense is probably the best in the conference

don;t get me wrong, I am not saying they aren't well coached. their talent is on another level. While I think RU is as talented or close to Iowa.

Michigan has beaten 5 wins vs NCAA opponents by double digits (Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland 2x), 6 if you include Toledo. Only 3 of their 10 conference wins are single digits. Supposedly this is the best conference in the country and Michigan is 10-1

ya spot on.

[

Iowa and Michigan are better than RU. Michigan is better than Iowa although Iowa can certainly beat Michigan. I think Michigan is well coached as is Iowa....more balance on Michigan, they wont put up 90 like Iowa but they dont have to because their defense is probably the best in the conference

The dude was 6 of 7 tonight from the floor after a 5 for 5 performance. Pike should be screaming at his guys to feed him more. For an offensively challenged basketball team it’s an asset they’re not taking advantage of. I’d rather see him with the chances than Caleb hoisting up 15 shots.

We do try to go inside. The opposing team is there trying to stop us from doing it. It’s not always possible. See how we had only 3 turnovers? Recall the countless turnover passes from Paul in previous games that have gone directly to the opponent in the middle in other games in the hope of getting MJ the ball to no avail. We try that in this game we get run out of the building and lose a 30 point laugher.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
F IT. I think we've gotta let Jacob run wild. He's a chainsaw. He can saw off our arm or the opponents head. I think we gotta take our chances with him in the post season. It's a risk, but one that I think we've gotta take if we want to win a game like this one

we were walloped when it counted, Michgan went up 17 and the game was over. They let up and credit to RU for fighting back

if people are saying oh well we could have made a few shots and won this game...no, it wasnt happening like that. You just cannot add made shots and then assume that Michigan does the same brainfunk for the rest of the game.

IF RU made their shots and bunnies in the first half, then yes we could have won with a similar effort in the 2nd half but the game was lost in the last few minutes of the first half when the lead grew to 9 and immediatley the first 5 minutes in the 2nd when Michigan showed they were not playing around.

it was a 14 point game with 2:49 left at 63-49. Its nice that RU kept it close but this game was still 11 points when Wagner ended the game for reals with 1.11 left. RU never even got it to 8 with the ball....this game was never in doubt
Agree. We got outclassed for long stretches when Michigan was really motivated

You seem to not want to give credit to Michigan defense in their Wisconsin win on Sunday and tonight's game. They play very solid defense.

Even though Ohio State is very good, if Michigan plays to their full potential and Ohio State plays to theirs, Michigan is 5 points better than Ohio State. Both teams space the floor nicely on offense. Too many players on Michigan that are capable of scoring. We held down Dickinson in tonight's game and frustrated him at times, but he is a beast.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: RUJMM78
an average shooting night for them is what they shot., you could say RU shoots 46% but have you really been watching.,

I'm talking about an average shooting night for us. which is 52% from 2 and 32% from 3 instead of 44% and 25% (and the 25% is inflated by 2 shots late in the game that didn't really matter.)

do you think Michigan played their average in the 2nd half when they didnt hit a fg for 6 minutes

RU was down double digits for about 17 minutes in the 2nd half, yet to me its bizarre you are saying that they had every opportunity to win

No, that's my whole point. I'm not trying to argue that Rutgers is the better team here, but Michigan either played badly enough or our defense played well enough tonight to hold them to the point where we easily could have beaten them. The team we played tonight wasn't out of our reach at all.. on some nights maybe they would be, but not tonight.

stop breaking everything down into metrics and percentages. The game was lost in the first half...we missed bunnies, didnt get enough stops. For RU to win, we had to be with a possession or two at half and then win the battle the first 5 minutes. Instead Michigan took that 7 point lead and made it 17,

Right, we lost the game simply by missing a lot of open shots.. at a higher clip than we normally would. This is not being outplayed in a repeatable way.

gee if we make shots we win, every game you can say that

Yes, no shit, but people like you try to attach narrative and meaning to the vagaries of whether specific shots go in or not. If you put the same team out there to shoot 12 three point shots (which is not nearly enough!) sometimes they are going to hit 2 and sometimes 5 and sometimes 3 and you will try to write a story about it, but the reality is that only preparation and the shots you take are directly controllable.

RU was 1-10 from 3 until JY made two in garbage time.....RU has shot like 25% from 3 the past 6 games yet you are clinging to some narrative that because our average says 35% because we were hot early on that we are headed back to that time

Yes, silly me, clinging to the "narrative" of, um, averaging the whole season as a better estimator of our true three point percentage than just randomly cherry picking the last 6 games which is literally retarded.

I mean why not just average the last two shots Young took and conclude our percentage is now 100%? It's basically as valid as what you are doing here. Last six games, lol, give me a ****ing break.

A 25% three point percentage would put us literally last in the country, but this is your estimate of our true percentage? It's just completely ludicrous.

This 3 point percentage idiocy reminds me of last season when we had a stretch of games where our opponents missed all their threes and we won (shocking!) and then a couple where the opponents made like 50% of their threes and we lost (shocking!) and people like bac were like "our 3 point defense sucks now omg what is happening Pikiell fix it omg!!"

it's just random noise for ****'s sake people really need to learn some basic math

I'm talking about an average shooting night for us. which is 52% from 2 and 32% from 3 instead of 44% and 25% (and the 25% is inflated by 2 shots late in the game that didn't really matter.)

No, that's my whole point. I'm not trying to argue that Rutgers is the better team here, but Michigan either played badly enough or our defense played well enough tonight to hold them to the point where we easily could have beaten them. The team we played tonight wasn't out of our reach at all.. on some nights maybe they would be, but not tonight.

Right, we lost the game simply by missing a lot of open shots.. at a higher clip than we normally would. This is not being outplayed in a repeatable way.

Yes, no shit, but people like you try to attach narrative and meaning to the vagaries of whether specific shots go in or not. If you put the same team out there to shoot 12 three point shots (which is not nearly enough!) sometimes they are going to hit 2 and sometimes 5 and sometimes 3 and you will try to write a story about it, but the reality is that only preparation and the shots you take are directly controllable.

Yes, silly me, clinging to the "narrative" of, um, averaging the whole season as a better estimator of our true three point percentage than just randomly cherry picking the last 6 games which is literally retarded.

I mean why not just average the last two shots Young took and conclude our percentage is now 100%? It's basically as valid as what you are doing here. Last six games, lol, give me a ****ing break.

A 25% three point percentage would put us literally last in the country, but this is your estimate of our true percentage? It's just completely ludicrous.

no we easily couldnt have beaten them...truly a bizarre take...this game didnt get closer than 7 at the final buzzer, it was 14 .with less than 3 minutes, I suppose that Michigan if they played better could have won by 30 but apparently you disregard them letting their foot off the break and then in hindsight say...oh if we made more shots then we would have won easily...it doesnt even make sense. Maybe if Michigan doesnt go 6 minutes without a fg.......

Reactions: Rutgers25
no we easily couldnt have beaten them...truly a bizarre take...this game didnt get closer than 7 at the final buzzer, it was 14 .with less than 3 minutes, I suppose that Michigan if they played better could have won by 30 but apparently you disregard them letting their foot off the break and then in hindsight say...oh if we made more shots then we would have won easily...it doesnt even make sense. Maybe if Michigan doesnt go 6 minutes without a fg.......

Yup this about sums it up. I’m glad we weren’t embarrassed on National TV but they outplayed us after the first few minutes through the finish.

"Easily could have won", which is what I said, is not the same as "could have won easily".

Obviously the game was never close because we had a horrific shooting night, that is not in dispute (it's bizarre that you think it is).

When a team goes 1-80 from three and loses by 10 I don't conclude the game was a complete mismatch, because that's not how basketball works.

do you think Michigan has no effect on whether we shoot our percentage. Michgan plays the best defense in the league, they gave us some shots but took away the perimeter, we missed open shots and we do it often

Reactions: Groz
And yes, if the team goes 1-80 every night then we have to conclude that 1-80 is just their standard.

But when they go 40-80 5 times and then 1-80 5 times we don't conclude that the magic basketball fairies took their 3-point shooting away and we do assume their average performance will be somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

Obviously the game was never close because we had a horrific shooting night, that is not in dispute (it's bizarre that you think it is).

When a team goes 1-80 from three and loses by 10 I don't conclude the game was a complete mismatch, because that's not how basketball works.

the game was over and RU chipped way, are you saying this was a 7 point game when it was in double digits for our 17 minutes of the 2nd half

the game was over at 56-39 and Michigan coasted, how many times have we seen this kind of game. The 7 point margin didnt reflect how the game truly was. That happens sometimes, sometimes you play close and then all of a sudden lose by 16 like at OSU

We had hardly any open looks the whole game. During the Michigan scoring drought, CM and JY missed a pair of wide open transition 3s. It’s true that if those fall maybe we could’ve made it interesting. But literally every other shot I can think of outside the early missed bunnies was well contested.

the game was over and RU chipped way, are you saying this was a 7 point game when it was in double digits for our 17 minutes of the 2nd half

the game was over at 56-39 and Michigan coasted, how many times have we seen this kind of game. The 7 point margin didnt reflect how the game truly was. That happens sometimes, sometimes you play close and then all of a sudden lose by 16 like at OSU

I purposely didn't use real stats to divorce my point from the particulars of this game.

Yes I agree the final score makes it look more in doubt than in ever really was.

We had hardly any open looks the whole game. During the Michigan scoring drought, CM and JY missed a pair of wide open transition 3s. It’s true that if those fall maybe we could’ve made it interesting. But literally every other shot I can think of outside the early missed bunnies was well contested.

True but jacking up contested threes would be superior to a lot of the looks we actually get.

RU shot 40% thats not a horrific shooting night but you are not beating a team like Michigan doing that

give credit to RUs defense tonight, it remains our best asset

I have a bigger problem getting crushed on the boards 41-29

And of the 12 we actually took they were mostly good looks (except the one McConnell head scratcher). But 12 is very few.

True but jacking up contested threes would be superior to a lot of the looks we actually get.

That’s the point. We didn’t really have a realistic chance except when we had that open transition 3 opportunity down 11 with a little under 5 minutes remaining. Needed JY to hit that. We got a stop on the next one and CM missed another (or reverse order - I can’t remember). Make those and then maybe we have a real chance.

RU shot 40% thats not a horrific shooting night

Yes it is because they only took 12 threes. They were 13-29 on close twos (45% vs 60% on the season) and 3-12 from three (also terrible).

Will grant you the midrange shooting was fine.. but still bad because those shots suck

Michigan's defense is designed to take away the open looks from 3. Its why we had some Geo/Caleb longer 2s then Geo proceeded to brick everything in the 2nd half.

Yes it is because they only took 12 threes. They were 13-29 on close twos (45% vs 60% on the season) and 3-12 from three (also terrible).

Will grant you the midrange shooting was fine.. but still bad because those shots suck

more shots for Myles and Cliff.....if we finished more in transition and hit more free throws yes it would be closer, I dont this team needs to be taking many 3s, Ron is 1-30 or so.

Michigan's defense is designed to take away the open looks from 3. Its why we had some Geo/Caleb longer 2s then Geo proceeded to brick everything in the 2nd half.

I get it, their defense is good, but you have to do something to generate looks anyway. If you're just going to fire away from midrange you might as well give up, there's just no hope doing that.

And of the 12 we actually took they were mostly good looks (except the one McConnell head scratcher). But 12 is very few.

Paul technically grabbed the rebound anyway on the CM air ball. It didn’t hurt us. There was plenty of time to get off another shot but we didn’t execute. The two JY makes at the end were in garbage time. We took 10 3s when it mattered. They weren’t great looks because the wrong people were left open to attempt shots that were outside their comfort zones. They didn’t let JY (best 3 point shooter) get a 3 off other than that one in transition that he missed.

ADVERTISEMENT