ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 22 INDIANA; This is it!

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Just when we thought, their chance had passed, they go and save the best for last. Now I believe there comes a time when everything just falls in line. Are you gonna wait for your sign, your miracle, stand up and fight. This is It! Your back's to the corner. The waiting is over. It's here, the moment is now, about to decide. Let'em believe. Leave'em behind. This is it!. Who can name those 3 songs.

Wow what a game. Perhaps the best cliff notes version of Rutgers basketball all rolled into one game with a big phat happy ending. We saw two scoring droughts in the first 12 minutes. The first one a more than 3 minute drought which saw Indiana go on a 10-0 run to go up 10-2 and the second a just brutal 6 minute stretch that saw RU go down 23-8 miss 5 fgs and turn the ball over a few times. The first 8 pages of the game thread was filled with alot of vitriol and resignation that the season was slip sliding away. The 12 minutes were the Maryland game and 5 game RU losing streak on steriods given the enormity of this game. How could this team just be so bad so quickly. Indiana was literally toying with us offensively and we just were so discombobulated on offense.

Wait for it.......

From then on Rutgers embarked on what would be a 57-22 run over the course of about 20 minutes. It would be one of the most dominant stretches that anyone has ever seen at the RAC against a quality opponent. Indiana was humiliated and left broken. By the time we got to the under 8 timeout, Rutgers was up 65-45 and the game was over. Rutgers poured it on and poured it on. It started innocently enough with a Geo 3 and then a Paul 3 and basically everyone is saying okay lets get it to 5 or 6 and ride some momentum into halftime. But Rutgers was relentless and kept coming. Whether it was Geo from 3, I think he hit 3 of them or Harper getting untracked for 3, hitting two or Paul was a half ending play that just epitimozed the RU effort in the last part of that 2nd half. Suddenly RU was not just back in the game, RU was winning by 4 and had all the momentum going into half. They did not stop there. So pleasing to watch the team just pick up right from there in the 2nd half. It was Ron shooting arrows nailing back to back 3s and we all started to feel something special was going down at the RAC tonight, The lead bulged to 10 and when Indiana tried to make a little run to cut it to 6, RU did not wilt like they did in some others games, instead they kicked it up several notches. What was good to see, is that it was too guys who didnt play much today but played an incredibly large part in sealing the victory. Caleb McConnell didnt have any points today but boy did he contribute. 5 boards, a steal and an assist in a key stretch seemingly in on a bunch of defensive stops. Also then the Cliff show in back to back sequences, had a dunk and lay in and RU regained all its mojo. Add in Montez Mathis who had a couple of great offensive plays including a monster jam and some great defense. Make no mistake about it, it was Geo and Harper from 3 and Myles rebounding that won the game but give credit to Paul, Montez, Cliff and Caleb for sealing the game with kisses. Rutgers working in synch. Its starts shooting the ball, its subs playing their role, the team running in transition, rebounding and limiting Indiana in the 2nd half. We saw glimpses vs Northwestern 2x and Michigan State but Rutgers had no shown us this complete version of themselves since the win over Illinois.

I don't know how it happened but I am glad it happened. The rotation played longer without subbing so that was a factor. A different mix of players at different times. Leaders stepping up. Making shots, you look good when you make shots. Have not heard any post game so I am very curious to get the players take on what was happening and how they were able to stick together.

Geo Baker had himself a game. Very fitting. A good kid and under appreciated given what he has brought to the program. Fans perhaps heaping too great of expectations on him. Plagued by injuries and yes his play has been inconsistent especially this year, he did save the best for last. Geo hit 6 3s including a decisive one to push the lead to 57-45 with no time left on the shot clock and RU struggling for a couple of possessions. 20 points, 6-11 on 3s, 7-13 overall...an unbelievable 10 assists, 2 steals, and 5 boards. Geo was the shot maker. Geo was the leader. Geo delivered the donuts.

Ron Harper what can we say. Was he like 4-43 from 3. Well after he made his first, his confidence level grew like giant bean. Ron would hit on 4-7 from 3, 8-12 overall, we got to see those sweet strokes once again. 20 points and huge here...8 boards. His best game in forever and maybe he did put his phone down. When Geo and Ron are on. It makes RU churn where the supporting cast can do their thing to

Myles did what Myles does....10 boards, 10 rebounds and basically flummoxed anything that Indiana tried to do inside especially with undersized players. 7 freaking blocks are you kidding me.

I thought Paul was very active early and a big part of why RU had the lead at halftime. And he got less minutes in the 2nd half, which was the right thing. It was going to be a different game in the 2nd half. RU was going to run and get in transition and make Indiana pay. Thats when you rely more on JY and Tez. The use of JY in the lineup was perfect. Some games RU is better suited at running and exploiting the other teams D. His energy on defense and running the ball was exactly what RU needed. 10 points, 7 assists in a whopping 33 minutes. Pike trusted JY tonight and JY delivered on what looks to be his last game at the RAC.

So backs against the wall not only coming into the game but damn down 15 with 28 minutes left in the game and their everlasting season they could see it fading fast. This was it. A rousing win over a fellow bubble team. While I will not go as far as to say that RU has punched their dance ticket just yet, still need to take care of business at Nebraska, I think this game is going to go along way to alleviate the fears of a fanbase that saw the season teetering on the brink of oblivion. I hope that this game also helps us all...me including into stepping back and appreciate what this group has done for the past 4 years including Coach Pikiell. To rise up from the bottom to what they have accomplished the past two seasons at a school where they said it couldnt be done and in such a tough conference is an enormous accomplishment. Win or lose a game in the NCAA tournament. This is the bunch that changed the course of RU history forever. We need to celebrate this and savor these moments we as a program and fanbase are about to embark upon.

Great recap of a great game. When we were down 23-8 at least 10 minutes into the first half, it certainly did not look like it would be a laugher for RU. You rightly credited all of the many key contributions. But I agree, this was Geo’s near perfect game. His stats were ridiculous!

McConnell played less and JY played more. Paul fit really well with our core group of Young Geo Harper Myles. Let’s not over think this.

Thats it. That’s what we had often in December. If calebs minutes can keep trending down just a bit more we will be back to a higher paced more efficient offense and beat better teams

Sometimes, certain teams just do better against certain teams. We just don't play well against Michigan or Ohio St but we own Indiana.

Reactions: bac2therac
I'm starting to get bummed - all this talk of this core leaving.... I thought we had 1 more year with these guys. Run deep next year.

Reactions: jordkap
Going into the game the board wanted to shoot less threes, feed the post, take mid range jumpers, and play slower to not turn the ball over.

We didn’t go any of those things and had the best game we’ve played since December

Last edited:
Reactions: brad1218
McConnell played less and JY played more. Paul fit really well with our core group of Young Geo Harper Myles. Let’s not over think this.

Thats it. That’s what we had often in December. If calebs minutes can keep trending down just a bit more we will be back to a higher paced more efficient offense and beat better teams

matchups matter, this one was more favorable for us then vs Mich/Iowa. I was disappointed with how we didnt compete vs Maryland

I am still trying to process what I saw last night. You had to think at some point the ball had to start going in just from a law of averages perspective, but we seemed destined to another lousy offensive performance. Then a switch goes off and poof we cannot miss from 3. The team gets some confidence and the energy level, ball movement and flat effort all increase noticeably. Look at the number of assists on baskets last night.

I guess rotations matter to some extent, but early on it did not matter who was out there. I mean everyone wants the ball to go inside and twice MJ has it deep for baby jump hooks and they come up short.

Yes PM hit a big shot, but he is not going to carry us for an extended period. It really comes back to Ron getting untracked and Geo doing what Geo sometimes does. I think Geo as much as anyone allows an offensive funk to get in the way of trying to stay with his man defensively.

So what we saw offensively for about 20 minutes last night is not sustainable either, but hopefully we get to a happy medium. The guys have to believe that there is a benefit to moving the ball to get better shot and then take the shot. Let's try not to bury any individual guys. We are only playing 8 and need all to contribute to some degree on both ends of the floor.

Reactions: RC71 and RUfubar
Last night the team came full circle as it was pointed out that in the BIG tourney they rallied against Indiana (when these guys were freshman) and today the same situation but to greater proportions. You saw the relief on Ron and the monkey come off the back when he drilled those 2 3s in a row and his swagger was back. Leaders step up in big moments and that is exactly what Geo did which included 10 assists.

What we saw the last 30 min of the game was the team we saw in the beginning of the year, freely sharing the ball, shooting with confidence as opposed to hesitant and just playing the game of basketball without over thinking. I feel the shooting slump was a by product of late in the shot clock low percentage shots with too much iso ball. You saw how freely the ball was shared last night and the results from it. Hopefully they carry this into Nebraska and beyond.

Sometimes, certain teams just do better against certain teams. We just don't play well against Michigan or Ohio St but we own Indiana.
The fact that Michigan and Ohio State are top 10 teams has a little bit to do with our lack of success against them

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
I cannot remember a 35-point swing in a game (down 15, up 20) within ~20 mins of a game. At one point it seemed every ball fell into someone's hand and they scored.

For RHJ and MM it was so good to see them take out their frustrations with the slams they had and a big smile afterward. Just in time.

Reactions: RC71 and BillyC80

I've always believed the main two things that started RU towards a downtrend were Cliff getting hurt and Caleb getting too much time. His play style doesn't fit in with the rest of the team and his shot choice has hurt the team more than helped. I think he's a good rotation player when playing under control but he should rarely be taking more than 5 shots a game unless he's hot. Too many better options. If he can control himself like JY has, then he works

I cannot remember a 35-point swing in a game (down 15, up 20) within ~20 mins of a game. At one point it seemed every ball fell into someone's hand and they scored.

For RHJ and MM it was so good to see them take out their frustrations with the slams they had and a big smile afterward. Just in time.

when we were down the 15, my "goal" for the rest of the first half was to get it down to six.....which I doubted we would do...

to actually go up 4 at the half was a great effort

The fact that Michigan and Ohio State are top 10 teams has a little bit to do with our lack of success against them
Talent matters and both schools have the cache to attract top tier recruits.

Everyone with the exception of Myles has been targeted at one time this year by the majority of the message board to have their minutes reduced and their role in the rotation lessened.

EVERY PLAYER (except Myles)!!!!!

It was 3 weeks ago that the lineup of Baker McConnell Mulcahy Harper Johnson looked like the obvious one.

It was 5 weeks ago we wanted Young out of the rotation. Now everyone wants him to play 40.

Reactions: RC71 and MADHAT1
when we were down the 15, my "goal" for the rest of the first half was to get it down to six.....which I doubted we would do...

to actually go up 4 at the half was a great effort
My internal goal was to make 7 three pointers. Preferred us not to miss more than 1.

IU fans have to be sharpening pitchforks and lighting torches after tonight. Archie is a dead man walking.
I know IU fans hate Purdue, but they seem to absolutely loathe losing to us. They are almost offended by it. It's pretty funny.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Myles -5, Geo-5, JY -5, RHJ -5, Doucoure -5 at 16:23 2-7
Myles -6, Geo -6, JY -6,RHJ -6, McConnell -6 at 14:53 4-15
Cliff 0, Mulcahy 0,JY 0, RHJ 0, McConnell 0 at 12:30 8-19
Cliff -1, Mulcahy -1, Geo -1, Mathis -1, McConnell -1 at 10:13 8-20
Myles -3, Mulcahy -3, Geo -3, JY -3, McConnell -3 at 8:54 8-23 -15
Myles, RHJ, Geo, JY, McConnell started the run, Geo's first 3
8:54 and 15:11- 24:05 59-25 +34
Myles, Mathis, Geo, JY, McConnell at 4:49 67-48 +19 at a substitution
Myles -1, Mathis -1, RHJ -1, JY -1, McConnell -1 at 4:09 68-50
Myles +1, Mathis +1, RHJ +1, JY +1, *Geo +1* at 1:29 74-55
The 3 Walk-ons and Doucoure -8, *Geo -3*, Jaden -5 at the end.

At 8:54, 1st half
Myles -14, Geo -15, RHJ -11, JY -14, Mulcahy -4
McConnell -10, Cliff -1, Mathis -1, Doucoure -5

Myles +16(+30), Geo +17(+34, -2), RHJ +16(+27), JY +18(+32), Mulcahy +16(+20), McConnell +5(+16,-1), Cliff +3(+4), Mathis +6(+7), Doucoure -13

Gives you a better idea of who was out there for most of it.
Myles/Cliff +34, RHJ/Mathis +34, Geo +34, JY +32/34, PM/CM +36/34
Still don't understand playing Mulcahy and McConnell, RHJ and Mathis interchangeably at 3/4 this year, part of the reason why we have rebounding problems at times this year.

ADVERTISEMENT