You have to believe we are magic
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you
For you

As I said earlier in the season that if Rutgers played all its games at the RAC, it would contend for the Big 10 Title. The energy and confidence level that this team brings to the RAC is immeasurable. The magic of the RAC is legendary. After a one game stink egg vs Maryland, that Rutgers/RAC symbiotic relationship returned and then some. A glorious experience at the RAC filled with all the bells and whistles. that winning provide. A true first class performance by the players, the coaching staff, the fans, the students, the cheerleaders, ithe band. Everyone stepped up to the plate today and because of that we got enjoy it without any tums moments of sweating out another last possession nailbiter. This is the 2nd win by Pike over an Izzo led Michigan State but its the first that the Rutgers community got to see in person. Much like the wins over Illinois and Maryland in 2020, these were tight games that RU just blew the doors off of their opponents in the 2nd half and won going away Arguably today's win is the best by a Rutgers led Pikiell team in Big 10 conference play. The first half was a tale of two teams playing at a pretty high level with RU up 2 even though it seemed like they should be up more.

Backing up a bit, I think even I will give up trying to fully analyze the psyche of this team. Projecting consistency from them has proved maddening even from half to half. A good chunk of the board thought the most Rutgers thing to do was Rutgers beating Michigan State after losing that comeback bid to Northwestern the other night. Yet another half thought RU was done for. Certainly one could also understand those that thought RU would be in big trouble this game and beyond. The Jekyll and Hyde nature of the team certainly does not offer alot of confidence in predictions. And I will not offer any predictions in this post. Its one game at a time going forward. We know what Rutgers is capable of, good and bad.

As for the game itself, it was won with the coaching prep, it was won in practice, it was won in the locker room, it was one with locked in mindset. Yes the eye test matters and RU looked the part from opening tip and had that eye of the tiger. All Rutgers had to do with execute. It all starts with Coach Pikiell much maligned for such an up and down season that seems teetering on the verge of slipping away coaching a magical game that would do even the most heralded of coaching wizards proud. Have not heard any post game stuff yet so I do not know he did it or how he got his team to focus his team on the prize tonight against a top 20 league foe who had only lost 3 times previously. Whatever last gold nugget he pulled out his pocket to salvage the season it worked. The Pikiell magic put a hex on Izzo and his hogwarts and left them powerless to combat what the Scarlet Knights had to offer on any end. I talk about mindset alot in my recaps especially during losses. Seemingly, most of Rutgers road woes stem from the fact the games are lost within the first 10 minutes. Arguably they might be lost somewhere on the bus over from the hotel. I am going to give Pikiell a world of credit here for whatever he did to get in the players head but it was clear he did everything in this game to put Rutgers in the right position to have success. The players deserve their credit. The execution was flawless. The rewards tremendous.

Every single starter plus a couple of bench players were in the right spot doing the right things, making the right decision. The cogs in the wheel all did their part finding unexpected serendipity in executing. If we were ever waiting for a game where we got everyone to be on the same page and have a good night, wait no more. The was a near flawless display of team ball conducted by Steve Pikiell. As I said before the first half was a fairly even half with RU shooting really well but only being up a couple points. I did like the RU defensive strategy even though it was leading to some open 3s. RU was helping alot on D but I like the odds if Sparty is being forced to beat RU with late 3s in the shot clock. The second half began innocuous enough but have to love how RU pounced on the vulnerability of Sparty especially around that technical on Izzo. RU was showing poise and amping up their on the ball D and you could tell that MSU was getting frustrated. Sparty would make one run to it to 3 points with 14 minutes left but it was all Rutgers after that. Stunningly enough the critical stretch where RU went on a 10-0 run to pushe the lead to 13 was a curious lineup consisting of Reiber, Miller, Paul, Caleb and Mag. Mulcahy was unleased, scoring 5 and we would add another 3 to maintain that lead at 63-50. In that stretch Caleb got a steal and rebounded a miss for a layin and Reiber hit yet another open 3 from the corner. Sparty was reeling and never recovered. Pike hit gold with that lineup and then the starters took over sealing the deal. Down the stretch, Paul had 7 assists and was involved in every play whether and became a decoy. They had to cover Paul because they feared THE MULCAHY who had such success earlier in the 2nd half doing it hold school and bullying his way to the basket. Instead of shooting, Paul would simply find Cliff or even Ron/Geo on the perimeter. Um hello how about the behind the back pass to Ron for a 3 in the 2nd half, following up on his earlier one to Threeiber in the first half. This was simply wonderful to watch his game. Paul's metamorphosis at Northwestern took flight as a butterfly in the 2nd half tonight. Another amazing stat line, Rutgers had 22 assists and Paul would have a whopping 12 while scoring 15 points. I do not think even the biggest Paul fans here could have expected the last two games. The impact on how it changes how you guard RU and how the ball moves is incredible. It has freed up Ron and Geo on the perimeter. It has unclogged the paint for Cliff. It has the opponent guessing instead of predictably forcing RU to jack up jump shots late in the shot clock. Credit Pike, credit Paul and credit Paul's teammates who may have just sacrificed a bit of their own game for greater success for the team. I thought Geo took his leads from Paul and not the other way around. Geo was solid on both ends tonight and did not have to be the volume shooter but did a bunch of little things. 5 assists, 12 points, 3 of 6 from 3 on only 7 shots. Did Pike have a talk with Geo and Caleb because their play was night and day from the last few. Caleb had been pulled the last two, I think 3 games now but the last 2 got his minutes really reduced. Caleb was confident tonight and he did not force his shots. His game starts with defense and that was shown with his 4 steals but tonight his shot was on too. He finished with 11 points, 9 boards. Sure tonight the shots went down, but it just looked like these were not the forced shots that have been plaguing him. Ron bounced back, yeah only 6-14 shooting but 17 pts but like Paul he was bullying his way to the basket and not hesitant. Cliff a perfect 6 for 6 and solid 5-8 at the line for 17 points, Sparty really had no answer when Cliff got touches. Paul and Cliff are really developing quite the rapport now. Reiber perhaps the stealth MVP of the game...12 points in just 10 minutes, those 3 all in big spot moments. He has developed tremendously in the past few weeks and delivering onions to all. Miller gave some good energy minutes on D and it was quite unfortunate that ankle injury didnt look good with just seconds left in garbage time.

This was team ball at its finest, 6 guys in double figures, all with the same purpose, on the same page, having the same goals. What a magic show by Steve Pikiell. Where it takes us we just do not know......

Great ONJ song and reference. Great Review.
Purdue was an all time defensive effort.
Tonight was an all time offensive effort.
Paul was all B1G if not All American today.
Cliff was amazing and looked like he was having fun.
Caleb was the unsung hero.
And again Reiber getting better every game.
Ron and Geo great games too.
Just a great feel good game!!

Mulcahy and Mag saved RU vs. Nebraska.....the Paul Mulcahy aggressive offensive rebound and put back at Nebraska, got RU out of Lincoln with a win, the Mulcahy went wild against Northwestern and then followed it up with an absolute gem today.

10 points at Nebraska
31 points at Northwestern
15 points vs MSU

Mulcahy directly impacts Cliff Omoyuri because Mulcahy is more aggressive

Cliff Omoyuri

8 points at Nebraska
22 points at Northwestern
17 points vs MSU

Cliff is 18 for 26 on FGs in his last 3 games.

There's nothing more demoralizing for a defense than to get dunked on....and as Mulcahy creates havoc, Cliff and his quickness and speed, is getting to the rim, faster than some of the defenders can react.

Cliff is wisely not adding bad weight, he is not Kofi Cockburn who is a freight train, but Cliff has his own steps in his development as a better big man prospect down the road.....he's bouncy off the floor and Mulcahy is finding him.

RU could be evolving from the jump shot reliant team of RHJ and Baker, to a more balanced and dangerous team.

I have to remind myself that inconsistency is what college basketball is ultimately about. But there is something consistently being done with Mulcahy and his game....he has not ultimately changed how he plays, he's just arriving and thriving. Suddenly the team looks like it could have 4 double figure scorers against a lot of teams, if Mulcahy keeps attacking the defense.

I know Mulcahy is prone to being attacked by opponents when they have the ball, so now Mulcahy needs to actually be a little more careful on fouling. Teams will probably look to attack him more, so if he gives up a few baskets, I can now live with it......As long as he's attacking on the other end, Cliff will score, Paul will create offense for others and there should be shots for others to knock down.

I won't speculate on how this might look down the road, but the flashes of improvement are there. Great team win and I'd be really wrong for actually having Mulcahy overshadow Dean Reiber and his play.

The missing link of a "5", who can somewhat play a little inside, but can knock down 3s, has been missing from the RU offense for decades. No offense to any prior bigs, but sure, Reiber is a Redshirt Freshman in theory.....but he is the player who would land on a mid major opponent or a Iowa, Wisconsin or opposing team, and bite RU in a matchup......now he is the piece RU never had as a stretch 5.....

Reiber is a face up 4/5, with the game that will look really good some nights, and shaky on others. But if Pike and the staff keep working with him, keep him on the path he is on, there is an absolute role on this team for the next 3 years for sure.

A sign of a good team is when stars don't play great, there are others who can jump in to help.....Mag the other day, Hyatt a few weeks ago, Reiber in the last couple of games. All of the bench to help out.

Great team win and the bench is now gaining some traction and confidence. The staff has done a pretty good job in carving out roles. There's plenty of work still to do, but today was a big step forward......

Come take my hand
You should know me
I've always been in your mind
You know that I'll be kind
I'll be guiding you
Building your dream
Has to start now

There's no other road to take
You won't make a mistake
I'll be guiding you
Nothin' can stand in our way
Your destiny will arrive
For you
For you

As I said earlier in the season that if Rutgers played all its games at the RAC, it would contend for the Big 10 Title. The energy and confidence level that this team brings to the RAC is immeasurable. The magic of the RAC is legendary. After a one game stink egg vs Maryland, that Rutgers/RAC symbiotic relationship returned and then some. A glorious experience at the RAC filled with all the bells and whistles. that winning provide. A true first class performance by the players, the coaching staff, the fans, the students, the cheerleaders, ithe band. Everyone stepped up to the plate today and because of that we got enjoy it without any tums moments of sweating out another last possession nailbiter. This is the 2nd win by Pike over an Izzo led Michigan State but its the first that the Rutgers community got to see in person. Much like the wins over Illinois and Maryland in 2020, these were tight games that RU just blew the doors off of their opponents in the 2nd half and won going away Arguably today's win is the best by a Rutgers led Pikiell team in Big 10 conference play. The first half was a tale of two teams playing at a pretty high level with RU up 2 even though it seemed like they should be up more.

Backing up a bit, I think even I will give up trying to fully analyze the psyche of this team. Projecting consistency from them has proved maddening even from half to half. A good chunk of the board thought the most Rutgers thing to do was Rutgers beating Michigan State after losing that comeback bid to Northwestern the other night. Yet another half thought RU was done for. Certainly one could also understand those that thought RU would be in big trouble this game and beyond. The Jekyll and Hyde nature of the team certainly does not offer alot of confidence in predictions. And I will not offer any predictions in this post. Its one game at a time going forward. We know what Rutgers is capable of, good and bad.

As for the game itself, it was won with the coaching prep, it was won in practice, it was won in the locker room, it was one with locked in mindset. Yes the eye test matters and RU looked the part from opening tip and had that eye of the tiger. All Rutgers had to do with execute. It all starts with Coach Pikiell much maligned for such an up and down season that seems teetering on the verge of slipping away coaching a magical game that would do even the most heralded of coaching wizards proud. Have not heard any post game stuff yet so I do not know he did it or how he got his team to focus his team on the prize tonight against a top 20 league foe who had only lost 3 times previously. Whatever last gold nugget he pulled out his pocket to salvage the season it worked. The Pikiell magic put a hex on Izzo and his hogwarts and left them powerless to combat what the Scarlet Knights had to offer on any end. I talk about mindset alot in my recaps especially during losses. Seemingly, most of Rutgers road woes stem from the fact the games are lost within the first 10 minutes. Arguably they might be lost somewhere on the bus over from the hotel. I am going to give Pikiell a world of credit here for whatever he did to get in the players head but it was clear he did everything in this game to put Rutgers in the right position to have success. The players deserve their credit. The execution was flawless. The rewards tremendous.

Every single starter plus a couple of bench players were in the right spot doing the right things, making the right decision. The cogs in the wheel all did their part finding unexpected serendipity in executing. If we were ever waiting for a game where we got everyone to be on the same page and have a good night, wait no more. The was a near flawless display of team ball conducted by Steve Pikiell. As I said before the first half was a fairly even half with RU shooting really well but only being up a couple points. I did like the RU defensive strategy even though it was leading to some open 3s. RU was helping alot on D but I like the odds if Sparty is being forced to beat RU with late 3s in the shot clock. The second half began innocuous enough but have to love how RU pounced on the vulnerability of Sparty especially around that technical on Izzo. RU was showing poise and amping up their on the ball D and you could tell that MSU was getting frustrated. Sparty would make one run to it to 3 points with 14 minutes left but it was all Rutgers after that. Stunningly enough the critical stretch where RU went on a 10-0 run to pushe the lead to 13 was a curious lineup consisting of Reiber, Miller, Paul, Caleb and Mag. Mulcahy was unleased, scoring 5 and we would add another 3 to maintain that lead at 63-50. In that stretch Caleb got a steal and rebounded a miss for a layin and Reiber hit yet another open 3 from the corner. Sparty was reeling and never recovered. Pike hit gold with that lineup and then the starters took over sealing the deal. Down the stretch, Paul had 7 assists and was involved in every play whether and became a decoy. They had to cover Paul because they feared THE MULCAHY who had such success earlier in the 2nd half doing it hold school and bullying his way to the basket. Instead of shooting, Paul would simply find Cliff or even Ron/Geo on the perimeter. Um hello how about the behind the back pass to Ron for a 3 in the 2nd half, following up on his earlier one to Threeiber in the first half. This was simply wonderful to watch his game. Paul's metamorphosis at Northwestern took flight as a butterfly in the 2nd half tonight. Another amazing stat line, Rutgers had 22 assists and Paul would have a whopping 12 while scoring 15 points. I do not think even the biggest Paul fans here could have expected the last two games. The impact on how it changes how you guard RU and how the ball moves is incredible. It has freed up Ron and Geo on the perimeter. It has unclogged the paint for Cliff. It has the opponent guessing instead of predictably forcing RU to jack up jump shots late in the shot clock. Credit Pike, credit Paul and credit Paul's teammates who may have just sacrificed a bit of their own game for greater success for the team. I thought Geo took his leads from Paul and not the other way around. Geo was solid on both ends tonight and did not have to be the volume shooter but did a bunch of little things. 5 assists, 12 points, 3 of 6 from 3 on only 7 shots. Did Pike have a talk with Geo and Caleb because their play was night and day from the last few. Caleb had been pulled the last two, I think 3 games now but the last 2 got his minutes really reduced. Caleb was confident tonight and he did not force his shots. His game starts with defense and that was shown with his 4 steals but tonight his shot was on too. He finished with 11 points, 9 boards. Sure tonight the shots went down, but it just looked like these were not the forced shots that have been plaguing him. Ron bounced back, yeah only 6-14 shooting but 17 pts but like Paul he was bullying his way to the basket and not hesitant. Cliff a perfect 6 for 6 and solid 5-8 at the line for 17 points, Sparty really had no answer when Cliff got touches. Paul and Cliff are really developing quite the rapport now. Reiber perhaps the stealth MVP of the game...12 points in just 10 minutes, those 3 all in big spot moments. He has developed tremendously in the past few weeks and delivering onions to all. Miller gave some good energy minutes on D and it was quite unfortunate that ankle injury didnt look good with just seconds left in garbage time.

This was team ball at its finest, 6 guys in double figures, all with the same purpose, on the same page, having the same goals. What a magic show by Steve Pikiell. Where it takes us we just do not know......

I said during the Northwestern game thread that we were witnessing the passing of the torch to Mulacahy's team and tonight hopefully seals it. No more differing to Geo and Ron. No more hesitation. Playing aggressive and decisive with confidence. Looking to score to open up the assists

The team looks totally different with this version of Paul. Make Wisconsin stop him.

Dean THREEIBER also directing traffic out there for the backdoor cut to Caleb who also had a great game. Both played with more CONFIDENCE

Love when Ron gets to the basket

Cliff is a dunk machine. Also showed a nice drop step today again. He is developing

The adjusted score in this game was: Rutgers 80.3, Michigan St 57.3

Further adjusting out home court advantage, this becomes Rutgers 78.9, Michigan St 58.7

Our adjusted adjusted offensive efficiency was 136.2.
This would be #1 nationally if done consistently (The highest rating is Purdue at 127.5).
Rutgers season long rating is 103.4 (#157).

Our adjusted adjusted defensive efficiency was 85.7.
This would be #2 nationally if done consistently.
Rutgers season long rating is 96.3 (#59).

Our adjusted adjusted efficiency margin was +50.45.
This would be #1 nationally if done consistently (The highest rating is Gonzaga at +33.22)
Rutgers season long rating is +8.80 (#86).

Good news. You gained a ton of credibility with your pick……, but then lost it all referencing Olivia Newton John. What’s next? Culture Club?

never know what you are going to get. Look like the worst offensive team in power conference history and then put up this ridiculous offensive effort.

Caleb was written off by everyone, including me and he ends up being the GRF CO MVP of the game

Fantastic recap bac. Wouldn't have changed a thing in it, except using the nauseating ONJ song, lol. Was half wondering if the fans might rush the court and I might run into you again, like at the MD win at the end of the 2020 season, but no fan rush, which I'm ok with, as this wasn't some miracle upset of #1 (like with Ron's shot to beat Purdue), but a thrashing of a top team by an RU team very capable of doing this against anyone.

Good news. You gained a ton of credibility with your pick……, but then lost it all referencing Olivia Newton John. What’s next? Culture Club?

never know what you are going to get. Look like the worst offensive team in power conference history and then put up this ridiculous offensive effort.

Caleb was written off by everyone, including me and he ends up being the GRF CO MVP of the game
Of course , ignore Paul and your ridiculous statement the other night that you were writing off Paul’s second half at Northwestern as if it didn’t exist. I specifically told you it was #1 on my top 10 positives things from that second half and it was something great to build on despite the loss. Well Greene , the triple double threat has decided to show up after making us wait 2.5 years and he is here to stay. Highest efficiency rating as Flux has documented against the # 13 ranked Michigan State Spartans and Tom Izzo. Get on board but before you do retract your statement that at 6-5 we were a very bad Big 10 team. What a bad take by you.

Reactions: Rutgers36
Fantastic recap bac. Wouldn't have changed a thing in it, except using the nauseating ONJ song, lol. Was half wondering if the fans might rush the court and I might run into you again, like at the MD win at the end of the 2020 season, but no fan rush, which I'm ok with, as this wasn't some miracle upset of #1 (like with Ron's shot to beat Purdue), but a thrashing of a top team by an RU team very capable of doing this against anyone.

Its her best song and im glad we didnt rush the court. Honestly didnt really think it until about 10 seconds after the handshake

Come take my hand
You should know me
I'll be guiding you
Building your dream
Has to start now
You won't make a mistake
I'll be guiding you
Your destiny will arrive
For you
For you

Great recap. Great team win For sure. But this was Paul Mulcahy ‘s night. He earned the student section chants of “MVP” tonight. A masterful performance running the offense!

Reactions: RUJMM78 and Scangg

Do you really wanna hurt me..do you really wanna make me cry...

Of course , ignore Paul and your ridiculous statement the other night that you were writing off Paul’s second half at Northwestern as if it didn’t exist. I specifically told you it was #1 on my top 10 positives things from that second half and it was something great to build on despite the loss. Well Greene , the triple double threat has decided to show up after making us wait 2.5 years and he is here to stay. Highest efficiency rating as Flux has documented against the # 13 ranked Michigan State Spartans and Tom Izzo. Get on board but before you do retract your statement that at 6-5 we were a very bad Big 10 team. What a bad take by you.
This is one game out of our season......I still think we are a bottom 1/3 power conference team. We defintely have the opportunity to prove me wrong down the stretch. Today was awesome. Paul has shocked me the past 2 games. Teams are going to have to defnd us differently which will be great for Geo and Ron.

The craziest thought I have had the entire season is looking at the Ohio State game and the key to success for Ohio State will be putting their best 1 on 1 defender on Paul and make sure he doesnt get in the paint.
This is actually true. Make Geo and Ron play one on one and take away Paul might be the go-to strategy.

Hawk interesting point on teams attacking Paul to try to get him in foul trouble or at least wear him down.

Interesting to see how he is defended against Wisconsin and moving forward

Sunday night Chris Holtman is going to look at tape of our game and I'd love to hear the conversation he has with his staff.

You defend the line with your life against Ron and make him put it on the floor.

This is one game out of our season......I still think we are a bottom 1/3 power conference team. We defintely have the opportunity to prove me wrong down the stretch. Today was awesome. Paul has shocked me the past 2 games. Teams are going to have to defnd us differently which will be great for Geo and Ron.
Own it. You said we were a bad Big 10 team at 6-5 and I told you a bad Big 10 team was the team I watched sitting almost courtside losing by 30 points every night with Eddie. I would have hoped you knew the difference but apparently you are still from Missouri before you eat crow. One more thing , Izzo had the NW tape and Paul was all he was talking about in the pregame press conferences a few days before the game. Izzo couldn’t stop it and you know what , I doubt the rest of the mediocre Big 10 , which is not as good as the last 2-3 years, can stop it either. We made a decent MSU team look pedestrian on the defensive end today. Try to process that for a second before going off on what the rest of the Big 10 is going to do to us.

Own it. You said we were a bad Big 10 team at 6-5 and I told you a bad Big 10 team was the team I watched sitting almost courtside losing by 30 points every night with Eddie. I would have hoped you knew the difference but apparently you are still from Missouri before you eat crow. One more thing , Izzo had the NW tape and Paul was all he was talking about in the pregame press conferences a few days before the game. Izzo couldn’t stop it and you know what , I doubt the rest of the mediocre Big 10 , which is not as good as the last 2-3 years, can stop it either. We made a decent MSU team look pedestrian on the defensive end today. Try to process that for a second before going off on what the rest of the Big 10 is going to do to us.
You need to take a deep breath and a Twix bar.

Im worried more about our defense than offense in this game

Young and Liddell have killed RU the last 2 meetings
You are certainly correct in worrying as we have not played well against Ohio State even when we have beaten them. Liddell , Young and Key will be a load against us .
On the other hand , if Gabe Brown doesn’t hit 6 or 7 threes today we beat MSU by 30 and hold them to like 55 points. Our help defense causing steals and tie ups has been exceptional and Caleb ‘s 4 steals and Paul’s steal and tie up , as well as our trapping and doubling like the NW second half , have shown improvement on defense despite still allowing too many threes.

Im worried more about our defense than offense in this game

Young and Liddell have killed RU the last 2 meetings
Young Lidell and now Key... I'm worried we get bullied inside. This will be a test of physicality for Dean

Between the 3 of them we could see foul trouble an issue against one or both of our bigs

One part of Cliff's development that isn't discussed often is how he has managaed to mostly stay out of foul trouble

Hyatt and Ron🤬

Thank goodness Caleb was great
You know who was great , our entire starting 5 and Dean . 6 double figure scorers on 61% shooting with 22 assists on 32 made baskets . It was the first time this year we gave up more than 7 three pointers and won. We shut down Christie who had been scoring close to 20 the last few games holding him to 6 and Hall who also has been on a tear to 4. The team was great today.

We beat the #13 Spartans and didn’t storm the court. Shows you how far this program has come.
Jerry Recco made the same point on the radio side. Good observation. We expect to win these games and have stopped treating them like a once in a lifetime experience.

Reactions: goru7
Great ONJ song and reference. Great Review.
Purdue was an all time defensive effort.
Tonight was an all time offensive effort.
Paul was all B1G if not All American today.
Cliff was amazing and looked like he was having fun.
Caleb was the unsung hero.
And again Reiber getting better every game.
Ron and Geo great games too.
Just a great feel good game!!
Great post.

I would suggest that this was an all time ALL AROUND effort, not just offensive. MSU has lots of weapons on offense. They are really good.

The defense in the second half was amazing. We frustrated the hell out of MSU. Steals that turned into fast break points, great 3 point defense, dominant defensive rebounding. AGGRESSIVE ball hawking defense, multiple tie up/jump balls. This is what MSU typically does. MSU was extremely frustrated.

Add to that how Paul kept finding Cliff and other teammates for dunks and layups. That just added to MSU frustration. MSU, a bigger team than us, was dominated and they couldn’t do anything about it.

All around great game.

Last edited:
Bac said: Stunningly enough the critical stretch where RU went on a 10-0 run to push the lead to 13 was a curious lineup consisting of Reiber, Miller, Paul, Caleb and Mag.

As soon as he put that lineup out there, I commented to my wife that the next 3 minutes were going to be scary because this is a huge opportunity for MSU to turn this around. But Mulcahy was like "I don't think so!"
If this would have backfired, the haters would have buried Pikiell for it. Heck, even I was ready to bury him for it. But it worked like a charm. I'll think about this before I start acting like I know better than our head coach.

So many positives: we beat the #13 in the nation by 21 holding them to 63 while one of their players Brown shot 6/7 from three.
We shot very well but it wasn’t flukishly good. We had some easy hoops and several tough makes.
It was a 3 pt game well into 2nd half, and instead of blinking we hammered them.
Realistically, I don’t know if we can play better.
Players really seem to be understanding their roles:
For Ron and Geo being threats from three as well as getting to the basket;
For Caleb, be the army knife: be the Man on D, limit your 3s, rebound.
For Cliff, know when to slip to the hoop,always be ready for the ball—bounce passes to all-oops;
For Paul, embrace that he has a symbolic “C” on his jersey, orchestrate and be aggressive with ball.
For Dean utilize inside/outside game;
For Mag, bring it on D, stay under control on offensive, score via “junk man” points;
For Jalen, pressure D while limiting fouls, offensively set floor then clear, take open shots, otherwise defer.
(BTW, I thought that Geo and Caleb, each more than once, got in trouble by doing too much in the lane.)
One more on Paul: Folks have praised Paul for his vision with ball in his hands, but when he is setting up the offense from high position. His handle has really improved, his ability to get into the paint has forced defenders to back off, and outside the top of key he’s like a great dancer.

Have barely mentioned D, but that pretty much goes without saying.

A complete Jekyll and Hyde season—we’re performing like a fine band of not the most talented musicians but one where players are in synch and making each other better. (Think E Street Band of the old days.) For four of the past five halves, we’ve played like a Top Ten team. Let’s hope we’ve established that as our identity.

Crowd was great yesterday.

All that said, we’ve dug ourselves such a deep NCAA hole, that I think we’re still very much a Tournament longshop. NIT, that’s another story. Pike has the team rock’n and rolling but have we given away too much.

Come take my hand
You should know me
I'll be guiding you
Building your dream
Has to start now
You won't make a mistake
I'll be guiding you
Your destiny will arrive
For you
For you

You should get paid for this quality of content!

payday-getting-paid.gif

Reactions: Dpgru
Bac - you could have used the lyrics and video of “You can do Magic” by America. Now I’m going to be humming ONJ all day today. 😅
On 2nd thought after seeing the video , good choice ! 😍. Roc is right.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT