ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 22 MICHIGAN STATE: Magic

Nothing much to add.

What a game by the team !

I was actually expecting Sparty to win but I could tell in warmups that the team was focused especially Geo

Funny thing about the warmups was that Caleb was awful as he must have went 0 for 10 shooting jumpers and I was expecting another clanker of a game from him

- Whole team played great

- Let’s hope that whole team realizes that Paul is the engine until proven otherwise. His last 2 games have been Magic Johnson esque

- Paul’s rapport with Cliff has been so efficient as of late and with Dean as well

- Dean is having so much fun on the court. It’s great to see !

- Caleb was intense on the court. Him and Bingham were going at big time in first half

- I saw. Miller after game and he was wearing a boot and was walking putting pressure on the ankle. He said he ll be fine.

- Saw Dylan Harper at game. I ll have to get in his ear next time I see him. 😇

Come take my hand
You should know me
I've always been in your mind
You know that I'll be kind
I'll be guiding you
Building your dream
Has to start now
There's no other road to take
You won't make a mistake
I'll be guiding you
You have to believe we are magic
Nothin' can stand in our way
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you
For you

As I said earlier in the season that if Rutgers played all its games at the RAC, it would contend for the Big 10 Title. The energy and confidence level that this team brings to the RAC is immeasurable. The magic of the RAC is legendary. After a one game stink egg vs Maryland, that Rutgers/RAC symbiotic relationship returned and then some. A glorious experience at the RAC filled with all the bells and whistles. that winning provide. A true first class performance by the players, the coaching staff, the fans, the students, the cheerleaders, ithe band. Everyone stepped up to the plate today and because of that we got enjoy it without any tums moments of sweating out another last possession nailbiter. This is the 2nd win by Pike over an Izzo led Michigan State but its the first that the Rutgers community got to see in person. Much like the wins over Illinois and Maryland in 2020, these were tight games that RU just blew the doors off of their opponents in the 2nd half and won going away Arguably today's win is the best by a Rutgers led Pikiell team in Big 10 conference play. The first half was a tale of two teams playing at a pretty high level with RU up 2 even though it seemed like they should be up more.

Backing up a bit, I think even I will give up trying to fully analyze the psyche of this team. Projecting consistency from them has proved maddening even from half to half. A good chunk of the board thought the most Rutgers thing to do was Rutgers beating Michigan State after losing that comeback bid to Northwestern the other night. Yet another half thought RU was done for. Certainly one could also understand those that thought RU would be in big trouble this game and beyond. The Jekyll and Hyde nature of the team certainly does not offer alot of confidence in predictions. And I will not offer any predictions in this post. Its one game at a time going forward. We know what Rutgers is capable of, good and bad.

As for the game itself, it was won with the coaching prep, it was won in practice, it was won in the locker room, it was one with locked in mindset. Yes the eye test matters and RU looked the part from opening tip and had that eye of the tiger. All Rutgers had to do with execute. It all starts with Coach Pikiell much maligned for such an up and down season that seems teetering on the verge of slipping away coaching a magical game that would do even the most heralded of coaching wizards proud. Have not heard any post game stuff yet so I do not know he did it or how he got his team to focus his team on the prize tonight against a top 20 league foe who had only lost 3 times previously. Whatever last gold nugget he pulled out his pocket to salvage the season it worked. The Pikiell magic put a hex on Izzo and his hogwarts and left them powerless to combat what the Scarlet Knights had to offer on any end. I talk about mindset alot in my recaps especially during losses. Seemingly, most of Rutgers road woes stem from the fact the games are lost within the first 10 minutes. Arguably they might be lost somewhere on the bus over from the hotel. I am going to give Pikiell a world of credit here for whatever he did to get in the players head but it was clear he did everything in this game to put Rutgers in the right position to have success. The players deserve their credit. The execution was flawless. The rewards tremendous.

Every single starter plus a couple of bench players were in the right spot doing the right things, making the right decision. The cogs in the wheel all did their part finding unexpected serendipity in executing. If we were ever waiting for a game where we got everyone to be on the same page and have a good night, wait no more. The was a near flawless display of team ball conducted by Steve Pikiell. As I said before the first half was a fairly even half with RU shooting really well but only being up a couple points. I did like the RU defensive strategy even though it was leading to some open 3s. RU was helping alot on D but I like the odds if Sparty is being forced to beat RU with late 3s in the shot clock. The second half began innocuous enough but have to love how RU pounced on the vulnerability of Sparty especially around that technical on Izzo. RU was showing poise and amping up their on the ball D and you could tell that MSU was getting frustrated. Sparty would make one run to it to 3 points with 14 minutes left but it was all Rutgers after that. Stunningly enough the critical stretch where RU went on a 10-0 run to pushe the lead to 13 was a curious lineup consisting of Reiber, Miller, Paul, Caleb and Mag. Mulcahy was unleased, scoring 5 and we would add another 3 to maintain that lead at 63-50. In that stretch Caleb got a steal and rebounded a miss for a layin and Reiber hit yet another open 3 from the corner. Sparty was reeling and never recovered. Pike hit gold with that lineup and then the starters took over sealing the deal. Down the stretch, Paul had 7 assists and was involved in every play whether and became a decoy. They had to cover Paul because they feared THE MULCAHY who had such success earlier in the 2nd half doing it hold school and bullying his way to the basket. Instead of shooting, Paul would simply find Cliff or even Ron/Geo on the perimeter. Um hello how about the behind the back pass to Ron for a 3 in the 2nd half, following up on his earlier one to Threeiber in the first half. This was simply wonderful to watch his game. Paul's metamorphosis at Northwestern took flight as a butterfly in the 2nd half tonight. Another amazing stat line, Rutgers had 22 assists and Paul would have a whopping 12 while scoring 15 points. I do not think even the biggest Paul fans here could have expected the last two games. The impact on how it changes how you guard RU and how the ball moves is incredible. It has freed up Ron and Geo on the perimeter. It has unclogged the paint for Cliff. It has the opponent guessing instead of predictably forcing RU to jack up jump shots late in the shot clock. Credit Pike, credit Paul and credit Paul's teammates who may have just sacrificed a bit of their own game for greater success for the team. I thought Geo took his leads from Paul and not the other way around. Geo was solid on both ends tonight and did not have to be the volume shooter but did a bunch of little things. 5 assists, 12 points, 3 of 6 from 3 on only 7 shots. Did Pike have a talk with Geo and Caleb because their play was night and day from the last few. Caleb had been pulled the last two, I think 3 games now but the last 2 got his minutes really reduced. Caleb was confident tonight and he did not force his shots. His game starts with defense and that was shown with his 4 steals but tonight his shot was on too. He finished with 11 points, 9 boards. Sure tonight the shots went down, but it just looked like these were not the forced shots that have been plaguing him. Ron bounced back, yeah only 6-14 shooting but 17 pts but like Paul he was bullying his way to the basket and not hesitant. Cliff a perfect 6 for 6 and solid 5-8 at the line for 17 points, Sparty really had no answer when Cliff got touches. Paul and Cliff are really developing quite the rapport now. Reiber perhaps the stealth MVP of the game...12 points in just 10 minutes, those 3 all in big spot moments. He has developed tremendously in the past few weeks and delivering onions to all. Miller gave some good energy minutes on D and it was quite unfortunate that ankle injury didnt look good with just seconds left in garbage time.

This was team ball at its finest, 6 guys in double figures, all with the same purpose, on the same page, having the same goals. What a magic show by Steve Pikiell. Where it takes us we just do not know......

“Alpha male” Bac sharing an Olivia NewtonJohn song.

Priceless!

😂

• Love
Reactions: bac2therac
One point missing on the Reiber comments that I've noticed besides really improving. I've come to realize he has a tremendous basketball IQ. That pass to Mulcahy was intitiated by Reiber motioning PM to cut. He moves well without the ball, just an all around smart player. Obviously he absorbs what he has been taught and is utilizing it when he gets the chance. That doesn't always happen to players that get limited minutes.

One point missing on the Reiber comments that I've noticed besides really improving. I've come to realize he has a tremendous basketball IQ. That pass to Mulcahy was intitiated by Reiber motioning PM to cut. He moves well without the ball, just an all around smart player. Obviously he absorbs what he has been taught and is utilizing it when he gets the chance. That doesn't always happen to players that get limited minutes.
He is also better than Cliff on the high screens as Cliff always over commits and is caught out of position forcing the defense to rotate where Dean actually always gets back on his man another very subtle but important thing

I know these things are matchup dependent but it's interesting that Palmquist got 10 minutes against Northwestern last game but only came in for the final minute against Michigan State.

BAC your music selection and game analysis was tremendous which matched the Rutgers team performance. Rutgers defeating a top tier program like Michigan State by 21 points will be remembered for decades.

Last edited:
While true for most Big Ten teams and games... the most impressive thing about that victory to me was that Michigan State did not play poorly.. they are a disciplined well-coached team that worked like a machine on offense at times.. everyone moving, doing the correct thing.. and attacking attacking attacking... and we still beat them.

If that was not their A game it was a solid B game from them that we beat and beat pretty well.

This is one game out of our season......I still think we are a bottom 1/3 power conference team. We defintely have the opportunity to prove me wrong down the stretch. Today was awesome. Paul has shocked me the past 2 games. Teams are going to have to defnd us differently which will be great for Geo and Ron.
GRF,

You are a great fan like most on this board. We are very inconsistent in our play, but you might be the most negative fan I have ever seen(discounting the morons who are always negative and calling out the players and our coach).

People talk about the phrase "glass half full", you barely have a few drops of water MOST of the time.......

Best of Luck,
Groz

Bac,

Great recap once again.

This team will end up sending all of us to see a psychiatrist or at least to start drinking heavily. LOL. You never know which Rutgers team will show up or how they will play.

We are capable of beating anyone and losing to anyone.....

Best of Luck,
Groz

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
Nothing much to add.

What a game by the team !

I was actually expecting Sparty to win but I could tell in warmups that the team was focused especially Geo

Funny thing about the warmups was that Caleb was awful as he must have went 0 for 10 shooting jumpers and I was expecting another clanker of a game from him

- Whole team played great

- Let’s hope that whole team realizes that Paul is the engine until proven otherwise. His last 2 games have been Magic Johnson esque

- Paul’s rapport with Cliff has been so efficient as of late and with Dean as well

- Dean is having so much fun on the court. It’s great to see !

- Caleb was intense on the court. Him and Bingham were going at big time in first half

- I saw. Miller after game and he was wearing a boot and was walking putting pressure on the ankle. He said he ll be fine.

- Saw Dylan Harper at game. I ll have to get in his ear next time I see him. 😇
My best game in HS I scored 37 points. I distinctly remember making nothing in pregame warm-ups thinking I was going to have a horrible shooting night. Weird how that can work sometimes

Reactions: Scarlet83
GRF,

You are a great fan like most on this board. We are very inconsistent in our play, but you might be the most negative fan I have ever seen(discounting the morons who are always negative and calling out the players and our coach).

People talk about the phrase "glass half full", you barely have a few drops of water MOST of the time.......

Best of Luck,
Groz
Ha! I used to get into it with FIG last couple years about him being so bearish on the team. He refuses to get his hopes up

Ha! I used to get into it with FIG last couple years about him being so bearish on the team. He refuses to get his hopes up
Yeah but he has gone overboard this year. I called him out because we were 6-5 in the BIg and he and Sojo, the backhanded compliment poster , called us a bad Big 10 team. I reminded him of 30 point blowouts with Eddie and that was bad.

Instead of saying we were an inconsistent team that has been maddening to all of us fans , he said we were bad. Then we waxed Michigan State and have played 3 straight really good halves since Paul , the triple double high school phenom , decided to arrive after making us wait 2.5 years , and are now 7-5 in 6th place in the conference . After I called him out and he doubled down and now thinks teams will gameplan for Paul so he is not sold. I pointed out to him Izzo on the pre game press conferences all he talked about was Paul and gameplanned for it and couldn’t stop Paul. He is still skeptical which is obviously his nature , a miserable glass half empty guy all the time.

He still cannot wrap his head around the offensive efficiency yesterday , the 2nd highest by any team all year (134.5) , because it wasn’t something to do with defense.

Reactions: Groz
1. Goru for the sake of RU calm down. We have been gradually improving all year (when looking at trailing 5 game data), but don’t be a fool and get sucked in by 1 game when we have tons of data that say something else

2. Scang and groz…..bring me back Cliff, Paul, Jalen, Mag and Reiber AND have Ron make a decision right after the season (I really don’t care what he decides) AND have 1 or 2 others look for opportunities elsewhere and I am pretty confident I will be very bullish about next season.

3. It is fine calling me miserable, but I am really not. I am a fan and have bouts of fan induced irrationalism, but at the core I am very measured and rely on data. There are times when data misleads us, but by in large data knows more than eyeballs.

Last edited:
1. Goru for the sake of RU calm down. We have been gradually improving all year (when looking at trailing 5 game data), but don’t be a fool and get sucked in by 1 game when we have tons of data that say something else

2. Scang and groz…..bring me back Cliff, Paul, Mag and Reiber AND have Ron make a decision right after the season (I really don’t care what he decides) AND have 1 or 2 others look for opportunities elsewhere and I am pretty confident I will be very bullish about next season.
😲

Very bullish?!? I'll believe it when I see it!

It would be interesting to see since many are bearish it seems

I'm TBD on next season until we see what the roster looks like, but we do have a lot of nice pieces.

One big transfer really changes the outlook. A couple and we could be much better than most expect

😲

Very bullish?!? I'll believe it when I see it!

It would be interesting to see since many are bearish it seems

I'm TBD on next season until we see what the roster looks like, but we do have a lot of nice pieces.

One big transfer really changes the outlook. A couple and we could be much better than most expect
I don't want to be too negative towards a few of our players.........the vibe will change with new leaders. My biggest complaint about Pike isn't the misses he has it is his loyalty to certain players.

Reactions: Scangg

2. Scang and groz…..bring me back Cliff, Paul, Jalen, Mag and Reiber AND have Ron make a decision right after the season (I really don’t care what he decides) AND have 1 or 2 others look for opportunities elsewhere and I am pretty confident I will be very bullish about next season.

3. It is fine calling me miserable, but I am really not. I am a fan and have bouts of fan induced irrationalism, but at the core I am very measured and rely on data. There are times when data misleads us, but by in large data knows more than eyeballs.
I will calm down but acknowledge your statement about what Paul did second half was worthless to you or you said something like you were going to ignore it, was a negative glass half full statement . Then it is followed by the 2nd highest officiency efficiency game in the entire country not just against anyone but against a Tom Izzo coached 13 th ranked team . By the way , Michigan State did not play a D game but close to a B or B+ game that would have looked like an A game except we smacked them in the face. You have every right to be skeptical with our Jekyll and Hyde team but the last 3 halves should have opened your eyes just a little

I am sorry I don’t let 3 halves of basketball change my opinion of a players strengths and weaknesses.
Paul is playing with a ton of confidence. He didn’t have that confidence in beginning of the year.
I am going to see a bit more until I anoint Paul as the player we have seen that past 3 halves.
No different than writing off Caleb who ended up being very valuable last night.

I am sorry I don’t let 3 halves of basketball change my opinion of a players strengths and weaknesses.
Paul is playing with a ton of confidence. He didn’t have that confidence in beginning of the year.
I am going to see a bit more until I anoint Paul as the player we have seen that past 3 halves.
No different than writing off Caleb who ended up being very valuable last night.
It just wasn’t Caleb that was very valuable it was entire team as everybody who played contributed to that terrific victory . I loved Caleb’s 4 steals and getting his shot confidence back and I root hard for Caleb and the entire team. People that play really good offense that make everybody better deserves your attention.

In Big Ten play on an efficiency basis we're almost exactly where I thought we'd be: in a muddled mess in spots 7-8-9 with Iowa and Wisconsin.

It just wasn’t Caleb that was very valuable it was entire team as everybody who played contributed to that terrific victory . I loved Caleb’s 4 steals and getting his shot confidence back and I root hard for Caleb and the entire team. People that play really good offense that make everybody better deserves your attention.
Caleb, Paul and Cliff get my attention for their effort. I’ll leave it at that.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
In Big Ten play on an efficiency basis we're almost exactly where I thought we'd be: in a muddled mess in spots 7-8-9 with Iowa and Wisconsin.
I had us worse defensively and better offensively. I assumed, incorrectly, that the newcomers would make a significant contribution. Geo has better defensively than I expected.

My best game in HS I scored 37 points. I distinctly remember making nothing in pregame warm-ups thinking I was going to have a horrible shooting night. Weird how that can work sometimes
37 points is awesome! What HS? Congrats!!

What ‘s the efficiency for the last 3 halves? 2nd half Northwestern and full game Michigan State ? I would like to believe we are heading in that direction.

The win against MSU was not just a blip in an inconsistent pattern where we merely ecked out a win. It was a total team game and as Izzo said a beat down. 6 players in double figures; 24 assists; steals; fast breaks; the continued improvement of Cliff, Paul, and Dean and a great confidence builder for the entire team. Better game management by Pike also helped. This is a formula for success the balance of the year. I believe 5-6 more wins are possible. In spite of the ups and downs, this season is more fun and enjoyable than it was 5 short years ago. Rutgers across multiple sports is showing it can be competitive in the B1G

Come take my hand
You should know me
I've always been in your mind
You know that I'll be kind
I'll be guiding you
Building your dream
Has to start now
There's no other road to take
You won't make a mistake
I'll be guiding you
Nothin' can stand in our way
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
For you
For you

As I said earlier in the season that if Rutgers played all its games at the RAC, it would contend for the Big 10 Title. The energy and confidence level that this team brings to the RAC is immeasurable. The magic of the RAC is legendary. After a one game stink egg vs Maryland, that Rutgers/RAC symbiotic relationship returned and then some. A glorious experience at the RAC filled with all the bells and whistles. that winning provide. A true first class performance by the players, the coaching staff, the fans, the students, the cheerleaders, ithe band. Everyone stepped up to the plate today and because of that we got enjoy it without any tums moments of sweating out another last possession nailbiter. This is the 2nd win by Pike over an Izzo led Michigan State but its the first that the Rutgers community got to see in person. Much like the wins over Illinois and Maryland in 2020, these were tight games that RU just blew the doors off of their opponents in the 2nd half and won going away Arguably today's win is the best by a Rutgers led Pikiell team in Big 10 conference play. The first half was a tale of two teams playing at a pretty high level with RU up 2 even though it seemed like they should be up more.

Backing up a bit, I think even I will give up trying to fully analyze the psyche of this team. Projecting consistency from them has proved maddening even from half to half. A good chunk of the board thought the most Rutgers thing to do was Rutgers beating Michigan State after losing that comeback bid to Northwestern the other night. Yet another half thought RU was done for. Certainly one could also understand those that thought RU would be in big trouble this game and beyond. The Jekyll and Hyde nature of the team certainly does not offer alot of confidence in predictions. And I will not offer any predictions in this post. Its one game at a time going forward. We know what Rutgers is capable of, good and bad.

As for the game itself, it was won with the coaching prep, it was won in practice, it was won in the locker room, it was one with locked in mindset. Yes the eye test matters and RU looked the part from opening tip and had that eye of the tiger. All Rutgers had to do with execute. It all starts with Coach Pikiell much maligned for such an up and down season that seems teetering on the verge of slipping away coaching a magical game that would do even the most heralded of coaching wizards proud. Have not heard any post game stuff yet so I do not know he did it or how he got his team to focus his team on the prize tonight against a top 20 league foe who had only lost 3 times previously. Whatever last gold nugget he pulled out his pocket to salvage the season it worked. The Pikiell magic put a hex on Izzo and his hogwarts and left them powerless to combat what the Scarlet Knights had to offer on any end. I talk about mindset alot in my recaps especially during losses. Seemingly, most of Rutgers road woes stem from the fact the games are lost within the first 10 minutes. Arguably they might be lost somewhere on the bus over from the hotel. I am going to give Pikiell a world of credit here for whatever he did to get in the players head but it was clear he did everything in this game to put Rutgers in the right position to have success. The players deserve their credit. The execution was flawless. The rewards tremendous.

Every single starter plus a couple of bench players were in the right spot doing the right things, making the right decision. The cogs in the wheel all did their part finding unexpected serendipity in executing. If we were ever waiting for a game where we got everyone to be on the same page and have a good night, wait no more. The was a near flawless display of team ball conducted by Steve Pikiell. As I said before the first half was a fairly even half with RU shooting really well but only being up a couple points. I did like the RU defensive strategy even though it was leading to some open 3s. RU was helping alot on D but I like the odds if Sparty is being forced to beat RU with late 3s in the shot clock. The second half began innocuous enough but have to love how RU pounced on the vulnerability of Sparty especially around that technical on Izzo. RU was showing poise and amping up their on the ball D and you could tell that MSU was getting frustrated. Sparty would make one run to it to 3 points with 14 minutes left but it was all Rutgers after that. Stunningly enough the critical stretch where RU went on a 10-0 run to pushe the lead to 13 was a curious lineup consisting of Reiber, Miller, Paul, Caleb and Mag. Mulcahy was unleased, scoring 5 and we would add another 3 to maintain that lead at 63-50. In that stretch Caleb got a steal and rebounded a miss for a layin and Reiber hit yet another open 3 from the corner. Sparty was reeling and never recovered. Pike hit gold with that lineup and then the starters took over sealing the deal. Down the stretch, Paul had 7 assists and was involved in every play whether and became a decoy. They had to cover Paul because they feared THE MULCAHY who had such success earlier in the 2nd half doing it hold school and bullying his way to the basket. Instead of shooting, Paul would simply find Cliff or even Ron/Geo on the perimeter. Um hello how about the behind the back pass to Ron for a 3 in the 2nd half, following up on his earlier one to Threeiber in the first half. This was simply wonderful to watch his game. Paul's metamorphosis at Northwestern took flight as a butterfly in the 2nd half tonight. Another amazing stat line, Rutgers had 22 assists and Paul would have a whopping 12 while scoring 15 points. I do not think even the biggest Paul fans here could have expected the last two games. The impact on how it changes how you guard RU and how the ball moves is incredible. It has freed up Ron and Geo on the perimeter. It has unclogged the paint for Cliff. It has the opponent guessing instead of predictably forcing RU to jack up jump shots late in the shot clock. Credit Pike, credit Paul and credit Paul's teammates who may have just sacrificed a bit of their own game for greater success for the team. I thought Geo took his leads from Paul and not the other way around. Geo was solid on both ends tonight and did not have to be the volume shooter but did a bunch of little things. 5 assists, 12 points, 3 of 6 from 3 on only 7 shots. Did Pike have a talk with Geo and Caleb because their play was night and day from the last few. Caleb had been pulled the last two, I think 3 games now but the last 2 got his minutes really reduced. Caleb was confident tonight and he did not force his shots. His game starts with defense and that was shown with his 4 steals but tonight his shot was on too. He finished with 11 points, 9 boards. Sure tonight the shots went down, but it just looked like these were not the forced shots that have been plaguing him. Ron bounced back, yeah only 6-14 shooting but 17 pts but like Paul he was bullying his way to the basket and not hesitant. Cliff a perfect 6 for 6 and solid 5-8 at the line for 17 points, Sparty really had no answer when Cliff got touches. Paul and Cliff are really developing quite the rapport now. Reiber perhaps the stealth MVP of the game...12 points in just 10 minutes, those 3 all in big spot moments. He has developed tremendously in the past few weeks and delivering onions to all. Miller gave some good energy minutes on D and it was quite unfortunate that ankle injury didnt look good with just seconds left in garbage time.

This was team ball at its finest, 6 guys in double figures, all with the same purpose, on the same page, having the same goals. What a magic show by Steve Pikiell. Where it takes us we just do not know......

RIP Olivia

ADVERTISEMENT