GAME 22 MINNESOTA: Gopher Stew

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Pre heat Trapezoid of Terror with 8000 lunatics

Flatten Gophers into submission with sledgehammer

Place 5 whole gophers along with their coach in RAC....mix in 3 more gophers gradually until boiling then simmer

Remove and skin gophers

Slice and dice

In seperate bowl marinate Pikiell halftime speech

Add 7 Caroms of Cliff

Sprinkle in 3 Cam Threes

Add 9 assists of Mulcahy...one at a time

fold in 24 minutes of Mag

a dash of Reibs

2 steals of Jalen

10 points of Hyatt

5 of 8 field goals of Oskar

One dunk of Derek

Whisk rapidly

Add diced gophers to roux

Serve over a Caleb McConnell stat line (without shoe if desired)

Top off with Aiden Terry from the wing

Eat hearty and Happy Groundhog's day

a1yDbDI8qlTlc1GVjCZdkHZ70X8CFrCiZv_ts-OpPF2ugnYeKTxikyguSOQsMnBCGdmxK4YSYyPgFkAjQ-UQpSi5-EH6yXWBx_PqfArG=w800-rw-l68-e365

Boy was RU hungry and after a wobbly first half, RU took a big sledghammer to the Gophers rendering them stew meat by games end. A pounding for the ages against a Big 10 school in the RAC. Yes the first half was sloppy and RU was still up double digits at half. If this was a boxing match it would have been called after a 14 point barrage of points in a 3 minute span that gave RU a whopping 31 point lead and the fat lady had a plate of burgers already queued up on the Gopher bench before the 7 minute mark.

There are get right games and there are GET RIGHT GAMES. The wounded Gophers were just the right entree on the Big 10 menu at the right time. RU has dropped two of its previous 3 games. The first at Michigan State, RU was famished from the three point line and could not even get to 60 points. The loss at Iowa saw the bread and butter defense disappear into the cornfields. Number one goal of course was to avoid the trappings of playing down to a weak opponent and then to get Cam Spencer's mojo going. At first I will say I did not like the way RU played in the first 20 minutes. Several unforced turnovers and inexplicable high degree of difficulty passes or shots. Pikiell was forced to go deep into his bench with Cliff and Aundre somehow getting into foul trouble. Reiber and for the first time in forever, Oskar Palmquist forced into action. They were not perfect but they helped until RU found their way. Did Pikiell stew at halftime? He certainly turned the heat up on his team because in the 2nd half, this Rutgers team came out more focused and ready to exploit the Gopher weaknesses. The Gophers are tailor made for RU to stomp on them. They are such a poor shooting team not only in general but from 3. They do not have depth, were missing their best player, just didnt have the physicality to match up with Rutgers. RU made it harder than they should have in the first half. The second half it was all about spoon to mouth...feed me.

Absolutely everything was going in for Rutgers. When Caleb finally hits a 3 and runs off 9 straight points to take a 15 point lead and put it at 22 you know things are going well. Then the aforementioned Cliff barrage. Wouldnt take longer before Oskar got into the action, draining shots all over the place. In the meantime Minnesota just couldnt keep pace. A dreadful 5-25 shooting performance from 3 and at times you "almost" felt sorry for them because you knew that it was only 6-7 years ago that Rutgers was losing games like this. And when the starters were pulled and the 2nd team came in and were still fighting to the end lighting it up what a great feeling you have as a fan knowing that yeah while this team isnt perfect and isnt going win them all, Pikiell has such a really good thing going on...and this is judging by the recruits headed in the next two seasons, this is just the appetizer for us.

Key takeaway from tonight was getting Cam back on track. During pregame he was out all by himself shooting 3 after 3 after 3 after 3. Cam got on track quickly with a drive to the hoop where he was fouled and made two free throws. Then after he got a layup on the previous possession, Cam's first 3 attempt was perfect bottoms. You just knew, that was it, he was back. I know he didnt get any more shot attempts in the half and that was puzzling, 2nd half was a different story and Cam would drain 2 more 3s. Cam finished with a game high 17 points on
5-6 fg shooting, 3-3 from 3 and 6 assists. Beyond Cam, I for one felt it was important after Cliff sat for much of the first half that he come back and have success in the paint. He had that flurry of 6 points...one missed dunk that would have made the hightlight reel and connecting on another dunk that looked no good but bounced back in. RU does not have to go to Cliff all the time and we are seeing Pike move away from him a bit. Still though everyone knows Cliff is going to be counted on for points in tough stretches so I like we made it a point to go back to him. Caleb...oh Caleb, I did not like his first half where he was 2-6 and once again took a bad 3 after either rolling over or losing his shoe, I forgot. 2nd half was Caleb taking those offensive opportunities when they came without forcing. Finished 4-5 fg and yeah that 9 points in a row that really decisively put the game away.

Mag continues to impress with just about every facet of his game. 5-6 fg, 10 points, 2 steals in 24 minutes. His defense is just so good, dare I say he might better than Caleb. Its also his decision making. Remember how sped up he used to look last year with his energy. Now its being throttled back, his jump shooting is smooth and its going in. Hyatt didnt play that great of defense and had a bad foul but man he really is instant offense at times. 10 points, 5 boards in just 14 minutes...quite an impact for that little of time. His 3 toward the end of the first half as he played with 2 fouls was pretty important. Paul Mulcahy didnt have a great first half. Seemed like he tried to do too much and had a couple of awful turnovers and seemed unwilling to shoot. I do not know if that was the plan to set up the 2nd half but Paul got going with some shots and then it was about distributing. Paul had 9 assists and did Rutgers set a record with 30 assists. I believe they may have. Reiber, Miller and Derek all got decent minutes for them. The experience matters more than what they did.

Then of course there is Oskar and his award winning career performance tonight. Where did that come from? I mean Oskar couldnt get much time vs the dregs back in the November and December so hear he is logging in 16 minutes while shooting a whopping 5-8 including two 3s for 13 points, 2 boards and even 2 assists. Included in that was a big 3 in the first half where RU was simply struggling on both ends that left Pike at wits end. RU up just 22-20., Oskar hit a 3 and Minnesota never got close again. Oskar got his calling card and responded and he shot with such confidence in the 2nd half, seemingly knowing every shot was going to go in. What a moment for Oskar on what has been a tough career in not being able to get minutes on this team. Do not know if that means Pike can trust Oskar in many games moving forward but at least we have an option for a couple minutes that could be used.

Oh and how can I forget Aiden Terry...are you kidding me, a corner 3 on your birthday. RAC crowd arms in the air in unison. A scene to remember! Happy Birthday Kid! Hint...ditch the gopher stew and go get yo self a slice of birthday cake.

Thoughts go out to Wolf who was attending a funeral of a family member.

I know Minnesota is bad but RU just won by 35 and I mean how many games have they won by 25 plus this season? Alot and it will once again help the NET. No its likely we will not see another one of these laughers this season but for tonight for what this team has been battling over the past couple weeks a game like this heading into Michigan State this weekend was just the right tonic. A nice warm stew to satiate the belly and rejuvenate the taste buds as January fades from memory and the cold February winds beckon across the heartland, all the while knowing it will be living off of bread and butter as it tackles a three course menu over the next 10 days against Spartans and Hoosiers and Illini oh my.

Last edited:
On Mag- he IS a better man to man defender then Caleb right now. His energy was off the charts last night. His defense at the beginning of the second half was the domino that really started the blowout in earnest.

Reactions: jonS and ScarletNut
Great game but I almost felt bad mid-second half pressing Minnesota while up thirty, but I'd have to guess Pike felt they needed the practice.

Also, Cam has been practicing his threes pregame for a while now. I'd say even before his mini cold streak.

Great game but I almost felt bad mid-second half pressing Minnesota while up thirty, but I'd have to guess Pike felt they needed the practice.

Also, Cam has been practicing his threes pregame for a while now. I'd say even before his mini cold streak.
It was for the NET.

Reactions: gregkoko

Fwiw we were not pressing up 30 with our starters - by the time we were up that big it was all bench players including Oscar and miller. Big difference pressing with your starters vs pressing with bench (and some deep) bench guys

Reactions: RW90

Your post got me thinking… I’m glad you said almost 😊. I’m never one for running up the score, and we didn’t tonight… we just continued to play hard, the ball found the bottom of the net quite easily, and the rodents looked beaten while still playing. All a recipe for a lopsided score.

However, I will never feel sorry for any BIG opponent on the receiving end of a beat down from RU. It was not that long ago when RU was on the receiving end of some very lopsided beat downs in nearly all sports, and the mantra was we didn’t belong. We are beginning to see what it could be like for us when the resources of this great university, of this great state, and of this fan base actually show pride and support our teams.

We’re still climbing but Revenge is best served cold.

Not sure when Dawson Garcia is potentially coming back for Minnesota, but they actually played a pretty good 1st half without Garcia and missed some relatively easy shots. Dawson is a top 50 kid in Cliffs class (2020) and averaging 13 and 7 this year.

I am not sure if the rematch in March will look anything like last night, but I wouldn't pencil that 2nd matchup as another 10-20 point game, if Garcia is back.

Pre heat Trapezoid of Terror with 8000 lunatics

Flatten Gophers into submission with sledgehammer

Place 5 whole gophers along with their coach in RAC....mix in 3 more gophers gradually until boiling then simmer

Remove and skin gophers

Slice and dice

In seperate bowl marinate Pikiell halftime speech

Add 7 Caroms of Cliff

Sprinkle in 3 Cam Threes

Add 9 assists of Mulcahy...one at a time

fold in 24 minutes of Mag

a dash of Reibs

2 steals of Jalen

10 points of Hyatt

5 of 8 field goals of Oskar

One dunk of Derek

Whisk rapidly

Add diced gophers to roux

Serve over a Caleb McConnell stat line (without shoe if desired)

Top off with Aiden Terry from the wing

Eat hearty and Happy Groundhog's day

a1yDbDI8qlTlc1GVjCZdkHZ70X8CFrCiZv_ts-OpPF2ugnYeKTxikyguSOQsMnBCGdmxK4YSYyPgFkAjQ-UQpSi5-EH6yXWBx_PqfArG=w800-rw-l68-e365

Boy was RU hungry and after a wobbly first half, RU took a big sledghammer to the Gophers rendering them stew meat by games end. A pounding for the ages against a Big 10 school in the RAC. Yes the first half was sloppy and RU was still up double digits at half. If this was a boxing match it would have been called after a 14 point barrage of points in a 3 minute span that gave RU a whopping 31 point lead and the fat lady had a plate of burgers already queued up on the Gopher bench before the 7 minute mark.

There are get right games and there are GET RIGHT GAMES. The wounded Gophers were just the right entree on the Big 10 menu at the right time. RU has dropped two of its previous 3 games. The first at Michigan State, RU was famished from the three point line and could not even get to 60 points. The loss at Iowa saw the bread and butter defense disappear into the cornfields. Number one goal of course was to avoid the trappings of playing down to a weak opponent and then to get Cam Spencer's mojo going. At first I will say I did not like the way RU played in the first 20 minutes. Several unforced turnovers and inexplicable high degree of difficulty passes or shots. Pikiell was forced to go deep into his bench with Cliff and Aundre somehow getting into foul trouble. Reiber and for the first time in forever, Oskar Palmquist forced into action. They were not perfect but they helped until RU found their way. Did Pikiell stew at halftime? He certainly turned the heat up on his team because in the 2nd half, this Rutgers team came out more focused and ready to exploit the Gopher weaknesses. The Gophers are tailor made for RU to stomp on them. They are such a poor shooting team not only in general but from 3. They do not have depth, were missing their best player, just didnt have the physicality to match up with Rutgers. RU made it harder than they should have in the first half. The second half it was all about spoon to mouth...feed me.

Absolutely everything was going in for Rutgers. When Caleb finally hits a 3 and runs off 9 straight points to take a 15 point lead and put it at 22 you know things are going well. Then the aforementioned Cliff barrage. Wouldnt take longer before Oskar got into the action, draining shots all over the place. In the meantime Minnesota just couldnt keep pace. A dreadful 5-25 shooting performance from 3 and at times you "almost" felt sorry for them because you knew that it was only 6-7 years ago that Rutgers was losing games like this. And when the starters were pulled and the 2nd team came in and were still fighting to the end lighting it up what a great feeling you have as a fan knowing that yeah while this team isnt perfect and isnt going win them all, Pikiell has such a really good thing going on...and this is judging by the recruits headed in the next two seasons, this is just the appetizer for us.

Key takeaway from tonight was getting Cam back on track. During pregame he was out all by himself shooting 3 after 3 after 3 after 3. Cam got on track quickly with a drive to the hoop where he was fouled and made two free throws. Then after he got a layup on the previous possession, Cam's first 3 attempt was perfect bottoms. You just knew, that was it, he was back. I know he didnt get any more shot attempts in the half and that was puzzling, 2nd half was a different story and Cam would drain 2 more 3s. Cam finished with a game high 17 points on
5-6 fg shooting, 3-3 from 3 and 6 assists. Beyond Cam, I for one felt it was important after Cliff sat for much of the first half that he come back and have success in the paint. He had that flurry of 6 points...one missed dunk that would have made the hightlight reel and connecting on another dunk that looked no good but bounced back in. RU does not have to go to Cliff all the time and we are seeing Pike move away from him a bit. Still though everyone knows Cliff is going to be counted on for points in tough stretches so I like we made it a point to go back to him. Caleb...oh Caleb, I did not like his first half where he was 2-6 and once again took a bad 3 after either rolling over or losing his shoe, I forgot. 2nd half was Caleb taking those offensive opportunities when they came without forcing. Finished 4-5 fg and yeah that 9 points in a row that really decisively put the game away.

Mag continues to impress with just about every facet of his game. 5-6 fg, 10 points, 2 steals in 24 minutes. His defense is just so good, dare I say he might better than Caleb. Its also his decision making. Remember how sped up he used to look last year with his energy. Now its being throttled back, his jump shooting is smooth and its going in. Hyatt didnt play that great of defense and had a bad foul but man he really is instant offense at times. 10 points, 5 boards in just 14 minutes...quite an impact for that little of time. His 3 toward the end of the first half as he played with 2 fouls was pretty important. Paul Mulcahy didnt have a great first half. Seemed like he tried to do too much and had a couple of awful turnovers and seemed unwilling to shoot. I do not know if that was the plan to set up the 2nd half but Paul got going with some shots and then it was about distributing. Paul had 9 assists and did Rutgers set a record with 30 assists. I believe they may have. Reiber, Miller and Derek all got decent minutes for them. The experience matters more than what they did.

Then of course there is Oskar and his award winning career performance tonight. Where did that come from? I mean Oskar couldnt get much time vs the dregs back in the November and December so hear he is logging in 16 minutes while shooting a whopping 5-8 including two 3s for 13 points, 2 boards and even 2 assists. Included in that was a big 3 in the first half where RU was simply struggling on both ends that left Pike at wits end. RU up just 22-20., Oskar hit a 3 and Minnesota never got close again. Oskar got his calling card and responded and he shot with such confidence in the 2nd half, seemingly knowing every shot was going to go in. What a moment for Oskar on what has been a tough career in not being able to get minutes on this team. Do not know if that means Pike can trust Oskar in many games moving forward but at least we have an option for a couple minutes that could be used.

Oh and how can I forget Aiden Terry...are you kidding me, a corner 3 on your birthday. RAC crowd arms in the air in unison. A scene to remember! Happy Birthday Kid! Hint...ditch the gopher stew and go get yo self a slice of birthday cake.

Thoughts go out to Wolf who was attending a funeral of a family member.

I know Minnesota is bad but RU just won by 35 and I mean how many games have they won by 25 plus this season? Alot and it will once again help the NET. No its likely we will not see another one of these laughers this season but for tonight for what this team has been battling over the past couple weeks a game like this heading into Michigan State this weekend was just the right tonic. A nice warm stew to satiate the belly and rejuvenate the taste buds as January fades from memory and the cold February winds beckon across the heartland, all the while knowing it will be living off of bread and butter as it tackles a three course menu over the next 10 days against Spartans and Hoosiers and Illini oh my.
A big key and not sure why it took to the second half was he put Paul in the middle at the key of the zone and it was curtains from there!!

Cam has been out there practicing his 3 pt Shots since the first game of the season. Amazing work ethic

Great review.

We were burned by the ridiculous NET last year so didn’t mind the press as was not the starters. Great game for the BIg O and in front of his family. As BAC has suggested, you wonder with such a nice outside shot and seemingly confident stroke shooting it if the Big O can provide some meaningful minutes in the future.

Good to see Cam untracked. Hyatt and Mag had stellar games. I think it was also important to see Caleb get more confident too especially with his shot.

60% shooting and 35 point win! Wow! Don’t know which is more impressive.

One worry but probably not is Paul’s shooting. There was one play where Paul was wide open and Cliff was wide open and Paul decided not to shoot and Cliff was even surprised with the pass. I think sometimes Paul has to be more selfish. Still 9 assists is an outstanding game.

My other commentary is again going to be on the officiating and we still aren’t getting the proper respect a good team gets at home. It’s ridiculous. Yesterday it was obviously so not a factor but it could have been. We jump out to a quick lead. Cliff has a monster dunk to start the game, hits his foul shots and has a quick 7 points and looks like he is off to a game for the ages. Boom… two quick ticky tack foul calls, as Rafferty would say a nickel and dimer. Cliff gets sent to the bench. A proverbial joke. Edy gets the calls, Garza got the calls, all the other big centers got the calls, it’s time for Cliff to get the benefit of the doubt. Obviously it didn’t make a difference today but it could have!!! To make matters more egregious, Hyatt comes in and gets two even more suspect calls. The refs basically put two of our top 6 players on the shelf for a half. It’s not only the fouls that are called it is the ones that are not. Hyatt grabbed on the wrist for a missed layup and no call. Cliff manhandled often underneath but no calls. So frustrating and unfair. Imagine if this was MSU or a tourney game. I’d have been furious. We have earned better respect from the officials and the B1G.

Great well needed win. Now off to the Garden which still think is exceedingly stupid giving away home court advantage and grossly unfair for conference games and a 12:00 start to boot. SMH.

Would have love to have been packing the RAC for the MSU rematch and beating them up at home for the third straight time. Alas! Go RU! Screw the B1G!

Last edited:
My takeaways--excellent summary as always......Great to get Cam back into the 3pt shooting groove. Having an outside shooting threat helps open up the offense ; Oskar's shooting form looked smooth and confident. Where has it been all these years? Mag continues to impress with his consistent play , solid defense and efficient shooting. He's more than lived up to pre-season hype and IMO his defense has been better than Caleb's. Caleb needs to gamble less on defense and avoid being caught out of position; Hyatt's instant offense continues to impress; Finally , in the limited minutes played by Derek you can see the explosiveness and quickness. It will be fun to see him play over the next few years.

Going forward Spencer needs to take more than six shots.He takes at least twenty five three pointers prior to the game and makes at least 60 %.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Not sure when Dawson Garcia is potentially coming back for Minnesota, but they actually played a pretty good 1st half without Garcia and missed some relatively easy shots. Dawson is a top 50 kid in Cliffs class (2020) and averaging 13 and 7 this year.

I am not sure if the rematch in March will look anything like last night, but I wouldn't pencil that 2nd matchup as another 10-20 point game, if Garcia is back.

We also played a REALLY POOR last 10-12 minutes in the 1st half.

Going forward Spencer needs to take more than six shots.He takes at least twenty five three pointers prior to the game and makes at least 60 %.
Cam knew EXACTLY what he was doing yesterday. I was saying it all week that he needed to "just hit his 1st 3" and he would be fine. He took his time, didn't throw something up just to do so - AND HE COULD HAVE - and nailed the perfect shot. Did the same the rest of the game. He is a VERY smart kid with an extremely high "court IQ." Not worried in the least about him, his shot selection, etc, moving forward.

ANOTHER EXCELLENT RECAP @bac2therac!!!

Reactions: RW90 and bac2therac
Minn was just awful. Gaping holes in their zone D and they couldn't stick with us M2M.
Our guys were SOOO open in the high post against their zone. Sometimes, when you're THAT wide open, it leads to an uncomfortable, awkward shot, which we saw a few times.

Reactions: zebnatto
Both he and Paul Paul can't take only 3 shots he passed up so many wide open shots; I know he is still a pass first guy but his shot has improved so much he NEEDS to shoot more

Do not feel sorry for Minnesota at all..
Payback for football - there was no need for that last touchdown with a minute left. Great that the 35 point margin of victory is even bigger than their 31 on the gridiron

Reactions: shields
Tough for Minnesota to stay competitive when the head coach has Rutgers -18.

Just kidding. WTF did he stay in zone for so long when we were getting easy entries to the high post and having our way. Me, Scangg, goru, scarlet shack and flux could have had our way against that zone.

Reactions: bac2therac
Cam knew EXACTLY what he was doing yesterday. I was saying it all week that he needed to "just hit his 1st 3" and he would be fine. He took his time, didn't throw something up just to do so - AND HE COULD HAVE - and nailed the perfect shot. Did the same the rest of the game. He is a VERY smart kid with an extremely high "court IQ." Not worried in the least about him, his shot selection, etc, moving forward.

ANOTHER EXCELLENT RECAP @bac2therac!!!
Cam very very IQ which is why he gets a lot of steals too

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

Just kidding. WTF did he stay in zone for so long when we were getting easy entries to the high post and having our way. Me, Scangg, goru, scarlet shack and flux could have had our way against that zone.
Must agree. That was the leakiest zone I have ever seen and once Paul got in the middle with the ball it was over and the rout was on. Nice to make open shot after open shot as well.
He was short handed and his starters were looking tired trying to stay in the game in the first half and I guess he thought they couldn’t play man because we would also beat them off the dribble. .
Not a whole lot to take out of this game except getting our guys shooting with confidence again which usually translate to better shooting.
One other nugget from Paul’s post game presser with Elmore, that they are looking to inbound quicker after a made basket and get upcourt and get an easier basket before they settle into half court offense. It is noticeable and I have have been calling for it for a while and it will continue to play dividends going forward.

He is a terrible coach. His players fouled on Rutgers last offensive possession of the first half. Sure a foul to give but there was like a 5-6 second differential on the shot clock...he just gave RU the last shot.

He is the worst coach in the league and its not even close. At least Ricky had his strengths. Its not just this game. This guy seems overwhelmed

Agreed. They will be a much tougher out with Garcia. They’ve had many close losses and a win at OSU with him in the lineup. BTW, he is averaging 15 PPG.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Another great recap. My biggest takeaway was the same as the Dentist, putting Paul at the top of the key to wreck the Minny zone. In that role, Mulcahy followed up a ridiculous 13 assists at Iowa with another 9 last night. Those are crazy numbers!

He is a terrible coach. His players fouled on Rutgers last offensive possession of the first half. Sure a foul to give but there was like a 5-6 second differential on the shot clock...he just gave RU the last shot.

He is the worst coach in the league and its not even close. At least Ricky had his strengths. Its not just this game. This guy seems overwhelmed
Johnson was an assistant under the worst coach Xavier has had since the 1980s. He was also an assistant under Richard Pitino at Minnesota. They made one tournament in five years. Really confusing hire from the get-go.

Then of course there is Oskar and his award winning career performance tonight. Where did that come from?

Oh and how can I forget Aiden Terry...are you kidding me, a corner 3 on your birthday. RAC crowd arms in the air in unison. A scene to remember! Happy Birthday Kid!

There is way more content on the board today than I have time to read so forgive me if others have already pointed this out.

Oscar had his family here from overseas to attend the game. I mean, if you didn't think Pikiell was pure class, imagine that Oscar's family inquires about coming to the USA in mid season and Pike tells them to come when we're playing Minnesota so that he can get Oscar into the game?! And then Oscar responds with 13 points??!! That's fairy tail sh*t right there. And then Terry hitting that triple on his birthday and his team mate's reaction? I mean Geez, is college basketball really about money? This is what it should be about. And against all odds, Steve Pikiell makes it happen at Rutgers.

I imagine the halftime talk was not a pleasant one. You could tell Pike was really pissed heading into the locker room at the end of the first half

😳 Minny is bad, they’re not dead. 😂

Reactions: LeapinLou
Well I heard Scangg is pretty good
I know he is. Took very consideration in forming the team.

I am worried about what Scangg would wear to the game.
I am concerned you might get hit up with a T for using your calculator on the court.
Definitely have worries about goru. He’d expect us to score every possession just because we wore the Rutgers uniform

Considered a lot of other posters for the team.

Reactions: LeapinLou
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT