ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 23 NEBRASKA: Disgraceful display by all

We have lost 4 of the last 6. The wins against northwestern and a great 30 minutes vs Indiana. Maybe the takeaway is northwestern and Indiana are just dreadful

How does one do this?

A. Tell them they Stink until they prove differently
B. Make them run touch ups (notice I am PC here) until they puke
C. Bench them and have 2nd team play
D. Throw things at them
E. Threaten to take away their locker room
F. Break in to their room and steal their phones
G. Yell at them
The hockey version of option B worked for Herb Brooks in "Miracle". We could've run all night in the Nebraska arena yesterday!

This kind of performance from a veteran team is very alarming.
I know this sounds extreme based on the fact that we will most likely break a 30 year streak, but I think this is the beginning of the end for Pike. He has done a poor job with a veteran team this season. The offense is unwatchable with no ball movement or off ball movement. The team has not improved at all this season.
The discouraging aspect of what you are saying is the players getting most of the playing time are juniors and seniors.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
No smoking blow tonight. Lets call this team out for what it did tonight. It pissed away a chance to clinch a NCAA bid definitively and instead now put enormous pressure to pull out a win at Minnesota and/or in the Big Tournament. In the sad annals of RU basketball this one has the potential to surpass the Georgetown, Seton Hall, and Virginia Tech games in years past. Consider Rutgers got humiliated from the very beginning of this game against a team who had lose like 28 of their last 30 league games (or something like that). Yeah Nebraska had their game of their lives but its not about that. Its about the total no show from Geo, Ron and Myles and the disappearance of any leadership. Its about a return to the poor from the 5 game losing skid where the team crawled into the fetal possession while they were jellied down the court. Horrendous is an understatement for the effort tonight. This team got beat on every single loose ball. There wasnt fight, no one went to the ground. I hope there are plenty of tears in this lockerroom because there needs to be. What I saw tonight was a team that once again didnt grasp what they were playing for and instead crumbled into little boys pouting...and pouting yet again is never a good look.

And Pikiell and staff...wow oblivious might be the best description. It was clear Hoiberg ran a clinic around Pike to start and there was no adjustments. Pike once again failed to mentally prepare this team and thats on him. That is just happened vs Maryland should alarm everyone. The Indiana comeback was something to see. Apparently the program thought it was over and it had clinched a bid. Heads swelled again. Hey guess what Geo, you guys have not done jack shit yet. The NCAA bid now is in serious question.

Losing by 10 or 15 is one thing. Down by 30 is another. The NET has the potential to drop as many as 15-20 spots with a loss like this. And for the long suffering fans we do not deserve this but we do know Rutgers is going Rutgers. We would not be who we are without another nightmare game to add to the horror show of our last 30 years in hoops

I will tell you I have been all over the map with my analysis of this team this year. I am ready to throw my hands up in the air. Only Pike and the players know whats going on but obviously something is and I dont think its basketball related. Time is running out. Lets see what this team is made of against a Minnesota team who has tanking the season themselves, injured and desperate for a win, I will say that Carr even in defeat has shown about 100x more heart than what I saw from Rutgers today. Truly one of the most disgraceful effort and performances that I have ever witnessed from a Rutgers team in 30 plus years of following.
Last night was the definition of "Going Rutgers". In the biggest game of the season and for many, probably the biggest of their college careers (to date), not only do they lose to the worst team in the B1G, they get their asses handed to themselves.

#rutgersisstillrutgers

I think we planned to clog the middle, take away a lot of the passing lanes and let them brick 3s all game. But they shot the lights out early and we had to defend the arc. Passing lanes opened up, one on one opportunities were plenty. I suspect we may not have prepared to defend their offense while being spaced and having to defend the arc, which is really bad news because it's an interesting motion offense that needs to be studied. On the staff. Some is on the players for wilting when things went bad early. Even down 10 in the 1st half it felt winnable - Nebraska would have to cool off at some point, right? But RU didn't allow themselves to get back in the game.

And again, I'll ask: you're playing a bad FT shooting team, why aren't you fouling them more?

Reactions: RUChoppin
Last night was the definition of "Going Rutgers". In the biggest game of the season and for many, probably the biggest of their college careers (to date), not only do they lose to the worst team in the B1G, they get their asses handed to themselves.

#rutgersisstillrutgers

Worse yet there was no effort and they didn’t seem to care in the least. Not a one.

Anything but naked free throws in practice is on the table for me.

You echoed my same thoughts..

I think we planned to clog the middle, take away a lot of the passing lanes and let them brick 3s all game. But they shot the lights out early and we had to defend the arc. Passing lanes opened up, one on one opportunities were plenty. I suspect we may not have prepared to defend their offense while being spaced and having to defend the arc, which is really bad news because it's an interesting motion offense that needs to be studied. On the staff. Some is on the players for wilting when things went bad early. Even down 10 in the 1st half it felt winnable - Nebraska would have to cool off at some point, right? But RU didn't allow themselves to get back in the game.

And again, I'll ask: you're playing a bad FT shooting team, why aren't you fouling them more?

Defend the arc? It looked like Rutgers was defending half court!!

ADVERTISEMENT