ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 23 OHIO STATE: Alive and Kicking

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
UNBELIEVABLE! Are you kidding me? What a thunderous turn of events in the last 3 minutes. The 10-0 comeback to end the game plus the crowd noise puts this game into the history books in the top 10 games ever at the RAC and arguably even higher. The resiliency and guts this team showed again. How many times can Rutgers perform necromancy with the all those ghosts of losses past that reside in the bowels of the RAC. It was like an outer body experience for everyone at the RAC. When the conjuring was complete, Rutgers NCAA hopes were alive and kicking. We were a boulder rolling down the court and the Buckeyes had no choice but to be leveled by all of us. Everyone was pounding nails and them chewing them out and spitting them at the Buckeyes. They did not stand a chance Credit the crowd with 8000 assists tonight. This was intense man and we got 7 consecutive stops in the last 3 and half minutes. On the Ohio State possession with about 2 left where RU forced a shot clock violation down 2, it was the loudest I have heard the RAC since the early 90s ala the UNLV game. Beating two blue bloods back to back and doing it in such different by equally impressive ways shows how wild this team is when they are on their game. I still contend if all conference games were played at home, RU would likely win the Big 10 title.

As we approached the end game, RU appeared dead in the water at 64-56 with 3:07 left after being outscored 14-4 in a 7 minute stretch. RU had played so well for about 30 minutes. Both teams did. A really enjoyable game to watch. A slugfest with mini runs where neither team could get a cushion until RU blinked. A battle of wills and it wasn't much of a blink but in a nip and tuck game like this, it was all the Buckeyes needed to wrest control of the game. Ohio State brought their A game, hitting 3s at a ridiculous clip and killing RU on the boards. A two minute run, the Buckeyes scored 10 points and got 2 treys and 4 different guys scoring. RU just was not able to match that for a stretch on the offensive end settling into some old bad habits of getting the ball stuck with the shot clock running down. I got the sense that RU just did not seem to have the energy to be able to pull this one out. Even a loss here you can say hey Ohio State was just better than us today. Tough to play from behind even with the home crowd given that we just were not getting the stops...until we did but it started with a spark from an old shotmaker. I want to point out a key play in this game at the 5:21 that might get lost in the shuffle but a sequence that I think changed the course of the game. Ron just missed an awful looking forced jumper and OSU came down and Liddell ended up with a 18 foot open jumper as it seemed almost as if RU gave him that open shot, I saw 3 RU players bolt to the basket for the board. Liddel missed thank god and Geo boarded and then Geo promptly came down in transition attacking the basket and laying it in. The lead was cut to 4 and it was a big swing and even though OSU would take that lead to 8, it signalled that Geo was activated now. From there on on the offensive end Geo simply took over the game and OSU could only watch him leave them in the dust. Geo had 10 of RU's last 12 points and assisted Big Cliff on a dunk. There was Geo taking it hard to the hoop and getting fouled. There was Geo hitting 9.9 degree of difficulty shots but all shots we have seen him make before. Locked in those shots are going in. Fittingly, with time running down on the shot clock, it was Geo driving to the hoop drawing the foul and nailing what would eventually be the game winning free throws. The wild swings that Geo has shown throughout his career have frustrated many of us. Shotmaker in some games, ghost in others, he was cool as a cucumber tonight and showing ONIONS. 25 points on 9-14 fg shooting, 4-7 from 3 in a whopping 38 minutes. Throw in 6 assists and 2 blocks and 3 boards, and it was a player of the week worthy peformance. Leadership has been questioned at times with this group and there was no doubt that Geo took control of the sword tonight. Willing to risk failure to seek reward....Who's got the touch to calm the storm inside? Don't say goodbye, don't say goodbye....In the final seconds who's gonna save you?

Geo may have made the winning plays but Caleb McConnell probably made the season saving play. On a lapse defensive play after an inbound on a timeout. It appeared Branham was headed for an easy bucket with 2:29 that would have put OSU up 6. Caleb came from nowhere and simply blocked the shot, no foul sending the RAC into a tizzy. It was like bam bam bam things were happening so quick. Geo hit a jumper and the RAC became almost sublime in its uproariousness. 30 seconds of insanity, OSU could do nothing but aimlessly pass the ball around unable to communicate anything as they were swarmed by all the conjured spirits of losses past. The RAC was everything your father told you about. It was UNLV 1991. It was otherworldly. I looked at the rafters and thought for just a minute there I saw Robert Mulcahy may he rest in peace leading the incantations. It worked. Rutgers possession down 2 with less than 90 seconds. Its going to Geo again right, no its going to Cliff and he will convert and dunk just like he did all night in his perfect 6-6 game. Game tied and its us and the players and once again we are wild as all hell and we are forcing Branham to take a tough shot. Ron rebounds and then its time for Geo to do his thing. This is not going to be Lafayette. One stop please and we do stop them, Ron big time block but damn out of bounds giving them one last shot. OSU wasnt going to make that shot and they werent going to call a foul on the 3 because this was our story, our time, our rebirth. A team that had been written off by yours truly among other fools was resuscitating it's season. A resume now injected with new elixir hoping to remove the poison of the odious and rancid Lafayette loss. We need to bring defribrilators to the RAC not masks. Breath everyone, one game at a time. 23 games in and two games into the so called gauntlet, Rutgers is alive and kicking and then some. 4 Quads wins, they certainly are piling up with opportunities for more.

You lift me up
You'll take me home where the magic's from
And I'll be with you

What you gonna do when things go wrong?
What you gonna do when it all cracks up?
What you gonna do when the love burns down?
What you gonna do when the flames go up?
Who is gonna come and turn the tide?
What's it gonna take to make a dream survive?
Who's got the touch to calm the storm inside?
Don't say goodbye, don't say goodbye
In the final seconds who's gonna save you?

Ooh oh, oh oh
Alive and kicking
Oh stay until your love is
Love is
Alive and kicking
Ooh oh, oh oh
Alive and kicking
Oh stay until your love is, love is
Alive and kicking

Last edited:
The adjusted score was Rutgers 64.9, Ohio St 58.7

After adjusting for home court this is Rutgers 63.5, Ohio St 60.1

Our adjusted adjusted offensive efficiency was 113.9
This would be #21 nationally if done consistently.
Rutgers season long rating is 104.1 (#140)

Our adjusted adjusted defensive efficiency was 91.3
This would be #15 nationally if done consistently.
Rutgers season long rating is 96.4 (#61)

Our adjusted adjusted net efficiency margin was +22.64.
Rutgers season long rating is +9.13 (#84)

Back to back high efficiency offensive games... trending in the right direction.

If they try to take a smaller player off Paul, that means someone else has a mismatch. Caleb I think is going to draw some shorter defenders moving forward so we'll see if he can take advantage if that happens. Paul was taken out of the game a bit but Geo stepped up massively

According to Bart's model we had a 4.2% chance of winning after Baker's missed 3 with 3:30 remaining down 64-56.

Against Purdue it was a 3.1% chance down 57-47 with 7:57 left.

We also lost having a 96% chance (Lafayette, beginning of game lol) and a 96.6% chance (at UMass, up 72-57 with 8:54)

Before this season, the last time we had won with <5% or lost with >95% was 1/21/2019 against Nebraska (3.9%, down 31-18 with 4:49 left in the first half in a game we were only 19% to win in the first place).

The 2011 Nova game was 0.9% (down 75-70 with 11 seconds)

9 team blocks. Caleb 4 steals.

We proved we can beat ranked teams with Harper giving us one of his worst offensive games of the season. 1-8 from the field. Huge for team psyche. Ron played good D on Lidell and battled with 3 blocks including preventing OT with a clutch block with seconds left

Paul Mulcahy is now who teams need to scheme to stop bc he can score and make everyone else better if you don't defend him well. Wheeler got abused early and picked up 2 fouls. At one point Arhens who barely played got in the game. Muscles Mulcahy bullies him for an and 1... as I'm posting in the game thread that we need to exploit this matchup, he gets immediately yanked.

The bigger players on Paul prevents the bully ball and makes passing lanes harder for the dump off on pick n roll.

Against smaller defenders I like the PnR from the wing especially going to Paul's right hand. He can easily get into the lane easily if Cliff isn't there and it's Paulie Pivot from there

Against a bigger defender I think I want to see us go back to more a high PnR and see if we can drag that defender out from the basket and move their feet. Get Paul going downhill strong and see if they can keep up

Geo taking the ball to the basket. Huge. Silky smooth finishes showing his experience. He also drew a few non shooting fouls penetrating. This will open up the 3 and mid range as defenders are sitting on it

Geo with 18 seconds left was driving and going for a wrap around pass to Cliff for a dunk... realizes mid move he's going to get fouled and doesn't want it to be on the pass so he turns it into a shot. Such a smart heady veteran play. This is the type of game winning play you expect from senior leaders.

Then steps up and drills 2 FTs confidently

UNBELIEVABLE! Are you kidding me? What a thunderous turn of events in the last 3 minutes. The 10-0 comeback to end the game plus the crowd noise puts this game into the history books in the top 10 games ever at the RAC and arguably even higher. The resiliency and guts this team showed again. How many times can Rutgers perform necromancy with the all those ghosts of losses past that reside in the bowels of the RAC. It was like an outer body experience for everyone at the RAC. When the conjuring was complete, Rutgers NCAA hopes were alive and kicking. We were a boulder rolling down the court and the Buckeyes had no choice but to be leveled by all of us. Everyone was pounding nails and them chewing them out and spitting them at the Buckeyes. They did not stand a chance Credit the crowd with 8000 assists tonight. This was intense man and we got 7 consecutive stops in the last 3 and half minutes. On the Ohio State possession with about 2 left where RU forced a shot clock violation down 2, it was the loudest I have heard the RAC since the early 90s ala the UNLV game. Beating two blue bloods back to back and doing it in such different by equally impressive ways shows how wild this team is when they are on their game. I still contend if all conference games were played at home, RU would likely win the Big 10 title.

As we approached the end game, RU appeared dead in the water at 64-56 with 3:07 left after being outscored 14-4 in a 7 minute stretch. RU had played so well for about 30 minutes. Both teams did. A really enjoyable game to watch. A slugfest with mini runs where neither team could get a cushion until RU blinked. A battle of wills and it wasn't much of a blink but in a nip and tuck game like this, it was all the Buckeyes needed to wrest control of the game. Ohio State brought their A game, hitting 3s at a ridiculous clip and killing RU on the boards. A two minute run, the Buckeyes scored 10 points and got 2 treys and 4 different guys scoring. RU just was not able to match that for a stretch on the offensive end settling into some old bad habits of getting the ball stuck with the shot clock running down. I got the sense that RU just did not seem to have the energy to be able to pull this one out. Even a loss here you can say hey Ohio State was just better than us today. Tough to play from behind even with the home crowd given that we just were not getting the stops...until we did but it started with a spark from an old shotmaker. I want to point out a key play in this game at the 5:21 that might get lost in the shuffle but a sequence that I think changed the course of the game. Ron just missed an awful looking forced jumper and OSU came down and Liddell ended up with a 18 foot open jumper as it seemed almost as if RU gave him that open shot, I saw 3 RU players bolt to the basket for the board. Liddel missed thank god and Geo boarded and then Geo promptly came down in transition attacking the basket and laying it in. The lead was cut to 4 and it was a big swing and even though OSU would take that lead to 8, it signalled that Geo was activated now. From there on on the offensive end Geo simply took over the game and OSU could only watch him leave them in the dust. Geo had 10 of RU's last 12 points and assisted Big Cliff on a dunk. There was Geo taking it hard to the hoop and getting fouled. There was Geo hitting 9.9 degree of difficulty shots but all shots we have seen him make before. Locked in those shots are going in. Fittingly, with time running down on the shot clock, it was Geo driving to the hoop drawing the foul and nailing what would eventually be the game winning free throws. The wild swings that Geo has shown throughout his career have frustrated many of us. Shotmaker in some games, ghost in others, he was cool as a cucumber tonight and showing ONIONS. 25 points on 9-14 fg shooting, 4-7 from 3 in a whopping 38 minutes. Throw in 6 assists and 2 blocks and 3 boards, and it was a player of the week worthy peformance. Leadership has been questioned at times with this group and there was no doubt that Geo took control of the sword tonight. Willing to risk failure to seek reward....Who's got the touch to calm the storm inside? Don't say goodbye, don't say goodbye....In the final seconds who's gonna save you?

Geo may have made the winning plays but Caleb McConnell probably made the season saving play. On a lapse defensive play after an inbound on a timeout. It appeared Branham was headed for an easy bucket with 2:29 that would have put OSU up 6. Caleb came from nowhere and simply blocked the shot, no foul sending the RAC into a tizzy. It was like bam bam bam things were happening so quick. Geo hit a jumper and the RAC became almost sublime in its uproariousness. 30 seconds of insanity, OSU could do nothing but aimlessly pass the ball around unable to communicate anything as they were swarmed by all the conjured spirits of losses past. The RAC was everything your father told you about. It was UNLV 1991. It was otherworldly. I looked at the rafters and thought for just a minute there I saw Robert Mulcahy may he rest in peace leading the incantations. It worked. Rutgers possession down 2 with less than 90 seconds. Its going to Geo again right, no its going to Cliff and he will convert and dunk just like he did all night in his perfect 6-6 game. Game tied and its us and the players and once again we are wild as all hell and we are forcing Branham to take a tough shot. Ron rebounds and then its time for Geo to do his thing. This is not going to be Lafayette. One stop please and we do stop them, Ron big time block but damn out of bounds giving them one last shot. OSU wasnt going to make that shot and they werent going to call a foul on the 3 because this was our story, our time, our rebirth. A team that had been written off by yours truly among other fools was resuscitating it's season. A resume now injected with new elixir hoping to remove the poison of the odious and rancid Lafayette loss. We need to bring defribrilators to the RAC not masks. Breath everyone, one game at a time. 23 games in and two games into the so called gauntlet, Rutgers is alive and kicking and then some. 4 Quads wins, they certainly are piling up with opportunities for more.

You lift me up
And I'll be with you

Ooh oh, oh oh
Alive and kicking
Love is
Alive and kicking
Ooh oh, oh oh
Alive and kicking
Alive and kicking

Goosebumps

• Love
Reactions: bac2therac

You lift me up
And I'll be with you

Ooh oh, oh oh
Alive and kicking
Love is
Alive and kicking
Ooh oh, oh oh
Alive and kicking
Alive and kicking

Bac with the major use of the Thesaurus in this one. Great job bud.

And excellent music choice to top it off!

Great summary BAC. What was different this game from past games is that Rutgers did not recoil and go soft with OSU physicality. OSU was tough last night especially on the offensive boards and a physically tough Kyle Young again played tough defense and attacked the glass. But Rutgers never quit.

I said it before the gauntlet started. We play to the front of the Jersey. This particular cast of characters and the recent ones who left cherish the opportunity and never freeze and excel at a very high level. Show them a ranked team at the RAC and their eyes open wide and their focus is intense.

This back to back ranked wins at the RAC is not only the first time since 2008, it was done with high level super efficient offensively and at times super efficient defensively effort. As BAC used to say , the other team would have to play their C game for Rutgers to beat these top ranked teams. Well the most incredible thing is we beat these teams when they played their A game ( Ohio State ) and B+ game ( Michigan State). Purdue ( Aor B+). From smoking Michigan State by 21 shooting 61.5% and registering a 134.5 offensive efficiency rating, the 2nd highest in the country all year and then followed it up with a 115 tonight is a tribute to these players and Coach Pike and his staff.

Both games have also been the first 2 times we have overcome giving up 11-24 threes ( 45%)against Michigan State and 10-18( 56%) against Ohio State and won both games. Before the gauntlet we lost either every game or all but one giving up more than 7 threes. But we turned up our 2 point defense , in the second half and most of the Michigan State game and yesterday holding Ohio State the 5th most efficient offense in the country to 33% from 2 point range. Plus that closing just under 4 minutes yesterday was just suffocating and tremendous recovery with a block shot party. Caleb ‘s block on Twitter is drawing comparisons to Lebron’s and as impactful as that was to win a championship , I must say if that play is not made we are down 6 with 2:29 left but in my heart it would have been deflating and we might not have recovered. 4 more steals for Caleb and an overlooked one with 4 plus minutes to go was his knocking the ball away from Liddell for a steal to prevent them to extend their 6 point lead. He will be 1st team All BIG 10 defensive team but unlikely to get DPOY because of BIG 10 politics but he is undoubtedly ours.

Geo Baker. We are learning things from the Riot Squad , who against MSU serenaded “ Paul Mulcahy” and yesterday “ Geo Baker”. He was incredible . It was thought that injuries have prevented his explosion but last night it was back. The attacking Geo Baker that we have not seen for a while has returned and was the difference down the stretch as Ohio State could not stop him. His drives and switching hands for the layins were just beautiful high level basketball . Plus the drive with 18 seconds and instead of fading backwards he sought out the contact and was hammered by Key. He then goes to the line and calmly knocks down the game winning free throws and leaves something in the tank for the game winning block. So So happy for him and for us because this Geo Baker makes us a top team in the conference and dare I say the country. One little stat that might be missed by most but realize this Geo had 0 turnovers to go along with his 25 points , 6 assists , 3 rebounds and 2 blocks including the huge block to seal it and good defense in 38 minutes. As complete a performance as possible.

Now that is 5 straight halves (2.5 games) of high level efficient basketball sprinkled in with outstanding defense in every different way. Paul has started the turnaround and makes everybody better as he has become a shooter and scoring threat to go along with his outstanding penetration and passing. But we have Geo and we have Ron , who had an off night but guess what we survived which is another great sign , and we have Cliff and Dean , and Caleb. We have a dangerous team offensively now and our defense and our length is going to make us a tough out going forward.

2-0 into the 8 game gauntlet carrying momentum into the next ranked team Wisconsin. We have our next 3 at Wisconsin , home to Illinois , at Purdue , 3 ranked teams in a row. We play to the front of the Jersey and rise up and our fan base should be so so excited to see us compete. We are a really good team now and hopefully the inconsistently before the last 5 halves has vanished.

Great win and Geo with an amazing game.

Caleb with great defense and amazing energy.

Paul Mulcahy was hesitating when it came to shooting but he still had a solid game with 12 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists.

I want to see Paul Mulcahy version 2.0 who wants to shoot first and pass second ( Northwestern second half--Michigan State entire game ) versus Paul Mulcahy version 1.0 who wants to pass first pass second.
He is a much bigger threat when he takes it to the hoop.

I think the team will need to win 5 of the next 7 to get into the tournament but you never know what can happen in the next few weeks and possibly making a run in the Big Ten Tournament.

great adjustment by pike to recognize early the ball had to come out of Paul’s hands tonight

Reactions: Scangg

You lift me up
And I'll be with you

Ooh oh, oh oh
Alive and kicking
Love is
Alive and kicking
Ooh oh, oh oh
Alive and kicking
Alive and kicking

I had Staying Alive pegged for your theme. But I like this better..and Tony Manero is still waiting in the wings.

• Haha
One of the things I loved about this game was that Ohio State was clearly giving Mulcahy a lot more defensive attention, and slowing him down seemed to be one of their keys to the game.... and he still came away with 12/6/6
As other posters have pointed out, Mulcahy's emergence as an offensive weapon forces teams to play him closer on D, and that opens up space for other scorers like Geo.

One of the things I loved about this game was that Ohio State was clearly giving Mulcahy a lot more defensive attention, and slowing him down seemed to be one of their keys to the game.... and he still came away with 12/6/6
This run we’ve seen an amazing metamorphosis of Paul, and the team as a result. He’s been so good that we hardly give recognition to an incredible 12/6/6 performance from our point guard.

We have a very complete starting five out there now, and our opponents have to gameplan for all five, plus our team defense. The degree of difficulty in beating Rutgers has just gone up a notch or two.

I'm still shaking my head on your use of necromancy, lol. I was laughing so hard while reading that I had to start your post all over again.

• Haha
Cut this game in 2 pieces......

If you fancy yourself as a NCAA caliber team you beat teams like OSU on your home court. We have a must get game and we are down 9 with 3 minutes to go getting man handled on the glass and putting up, statisticly. on of our worst efforts defensively.

Puts us in a situation where we have to make every play, hope OSU doesnt make plays, and we get a good whistle.

Tons of credit to our team for the last 3 minutes. Huge credit for 80% of our starting lineup for working hard all game keeping it close.

The narrative would be very different had we lost.

Geo Baker..........
IF I believe bart's numbers 15% of Geo's shot attempts at the rim this year occurred in the 2nd half of the game (3 of 20). He worked very hard off the ball...cutting like he needed the ball of a Cliff screen. I have been satisfied with his defense the past month or so, even when he hasn't done anything offensively.

Interesting that 1st possession they had a smaller guard on him and he scored. As the game wore on we saw Lindell guard him and he was less effective (relative to the past 1 1/2 games)

BART says there were only 57 possessions. Either that is wrong or you have OSU as an offensive juggernaut to have this adjust defensive efficiency at .913 PPP

Now we know what kind of pillow you sleep on!
Actually soft and relatively small.

I said less effective relative to past 3 halves. He still had a great game, he just wasn't the 2nd coming of Magic Johnson last night.

He did step up and make that monster 3 pointer 2 feet behind the line in the 2nd half as I was yelling NO!!!!

Actually soft and relatively small.

I said less effective relative to past 3 halves. He still had a great game, he just wasn't the 2nd coming of Magic Johnson last night.

He did step up and make that monster 3 pointer 2 feet behind the line in the 2nd half as I was yelling NO!!!!

I think my post went over your head

EJ LIDELL plays for Ohio State

Mike LINDELL is the My Pillow Guy

I thought another key to the late game was not allowing #22 to catch and shoot. Instead we made him shoot on the move and he finally started missing shots. He was deadly on the catch and shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT