ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 24 MINNESOTA: Jacob Young

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Lock it up. Rutgers will FINALLY see their name called on Selection Sunday. RU would have their name called last season but then came Covid. Amazingly its almost like we saw this movie as the season wound down last year. RU built up a strong resume early on but sort of tailed off toward the latter parts of the year leaving their lacking a bit. RU needing to lock in BEFORE the Big 10 tourmanent just like last season. Saturday noon road game against a team who had NCAA aspiration most of the year. Two things different of course, instead of coming off a rousing win over first place Maryland, RU was limping in off a 21 point beatdown by last place Nebraska. Instead of playing Purdue who had longshot but still alive NCAA hopes, they were facing a Minnesota program that was imploding game by game and ravaged by injuries. Much like the game last year, RU took control and then let Minnesota back in the game and like last year they sent it into overtime. From there things would go RU ways and they secured the victory., Winners make winning plays, losers go home.

30 freaking years later, I was at RU when they last went in 91 and blessed to have 2 NCAAs and 2NITs in that stretch, never ever would I think we would have so much futility since. Despite all the ups and downs this season, all the highs of being ranked #12 and taking down Illinois, all the lows of the five game losing streak and 8 minute scoring droughts, this team has accomplished its mission. Forget about the bad, its March, its tourney time. Forget about the meltdown in this game and the inability to seal this easily in regulation. You know why? It simply does not matter. Making the dance supersedes everything. Rutgers back against the wall, not making it easy on themselves simply won. They were winners, winners make plays, losers go home.

Let's talk about Jacob Young and his evolution over 3 seasons. One on the bench as a transfer patiently sitting out. One trying to find any kind of consistency with his flashes of brilliances hampered by trying to do too much. And the final one in 2020-21, Jacob becoming a starter, becoming a difference maker, changing the game, becoming our best defender and gaining the respect of his teammates. Today we saw the best of Jacob Young and the culmination of 3 years working hard within the program. Jacob delivered the win today. Whether it was with his shot making...8/13 today including the tone setter in overtime or his court vision or his ball distribution in overtime leading to a 6 points lead. Jacob had himself a game, 23 points, 7 assists, 5 boards and 4 steals playing relentless minute after minute on D. Jacob set the tone. Jacob was the leader. His teammates and coaches trusted him and proof of that is what you saw in overtime. Today we saw Jacob put his stamp on this program. Today we saw Jacob become a leader. Everyone loves this kid but those mistakes we hate but you know what it doesn't matter. What matter is that with Rutgers backs against the wall, Jacob delivered a performance that put the 2020-2021 Scarlet Knights in the history books and his legacy in the Rutgers annals has been cemented.

Here is just what some of Jacob did today in overtime

Jacob hits jumper RU up 65-63
Jacob blocks Carr shot
Jacob assist to Myles, RU up 67-63
Jacob rebounds Curry miss
Jacob assist to Caleb for dunk, RU up 69-63
Jacob hits jumper and foul shot, RU up 74-68
Jacob hits foul shot, RU up 75-70

That is not even going back to what he provided earlier in the game. Go back to a key last two minute stretch before halftime, where JY had 4 points, an assist to Geo for 3 , a rebound off a Minny miss then delivering an assist for a monster jam by Mathis and all of a sudden RU is up 9 with all the momentum heading into the locker room. Just another example of Jacob's explosiveness and ability to change the course of a game. Jacob was also in on in that play in regulation that could prevented a disastrous loss in regulation by stepping in front of a Curry pass with 15 seconds left.

Its not to say that the rest of the team did not have their moments. While Jacob delivered the win, everyone seem to contribute in their own ways that got RU a double digit lead. Geo with a flurry of 3s before halftime which broke open a tight game and logging in 43 minutes before fouling out. Myles hauling in 15 boards including 4 in overtime and how fitting for him to hit his final 2 foul shots to make it 77-70. Montez have his best game since Purdue. A hound on defense and making some nifty offensive moves. Caleb contributing in all ways. He was under the basket for that dunk in OT and hitting free throws in that 6-0 RU spurt to start overtime. Plus he had 4 steals. Never question his work ethic and willingness to contribute. Ron had a couple of 3s which were key at both times.

We can hem and haw and dissect until we are blue in the face about what happened in this game and what has happened at times all season long....yet it will not matter, this team will continue to keep us guessing, it will almost do the opposite of what we think is going to happen everytime. Just when we are out, they pull us back in. We can talk about what we could have been but why? Rutgers is in the dance. We have waited for this moment. It was ruined by a nasty virus last year. Let us soak those feeling in and flush out 30 years of negativity and unfilled promises from the Wenzel, Bannon, Waters, Rice, Jordan eras. It is finally happening.

Dance with me
I want to be your partner
Can't you see?
The music is just starting
Night is calling, and I am falling
Dance with me
Fantasy could never be so killing
I feel free, I hope that you are willing
Pick the beat up, and kick your feet up
Dance with me
Let it lift you off the ground
Starry eyes, and love is all around us
I can take you where you want to go
Oh, oh
Dance with me
Can't you see?
Dance with me

A performance and game where legendary performances are measured. I knew someone would establish a legacy today and thank goodness it was Jacob

His defense on Carr was masterful as was his offense

May rank as the best all around performance by a Rutgers player in a game of magnitude in over 45 years

Jacobs legacy and this teams legacy is now cemented in stone.

Good write up, especially about Young's contribution today.

My favorite thing in the post was you bringing up the Orleans song. Had to check, and didn't have it in my Spotify/Tidal libraries. Got 'em added now, so thanks for that. Great old song. And cool song reference to our situation. Well done.

Arguably the best post of your 156K+ post career. 😀

Reactions: bac2therac
Good write up, especially about Young's contribution today.

My favorite thing in the post was you bringing up the Orleans song. Had to check, and didn't have it in my Spotify/Tidal libraries. Got 'em added now, so thanks for that. Great old song. And cool song reference to our situation. Well done.

Arguably the best post of your 156K+ post career. 😀

I have had better by far and to be perfectly honestly this year has been very frustrating for me with writeups, some really bad takes and I can never get a good read on where this team is

Today is all about getting it done

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
Any RU fans who wanted an easy ride and cruise into the NCAAs, without REALLY knowing how a team would perform over an extended period of time, under pressure, found out again today....found out or discovered some guts, more grit and more heart.

I probably would have wondered if RU crushed today by 8 to 12 in regulation, if this group understands magnitude of performance. You can complain about the coughed up lead and have no arguments from any RU fans that it wasn't good.

BUT

The coaching staff, all players NEEDED this test today.....needed to be locked in defensively, to scout Minnesota and smother Marcus Carr.

The OT was also necessary for this roster to file away for next week or beyond. The staff also needed OT and to be ready down the road & to clean up the mistakes and can coach up this team for tournament play. There are a lot of positives coming from places other than RHJ, to build on for the tournament.

The B1G has for 3 years in a row, provided as much to help this program learn and grow and become battle tested. RU does not win at Indiana earlier in the year, if it does deliver last year at Purdue in the finale........it does not win today at Minnesota, if not pushed to the brink, down 15 at home to Indiana.

Jacob Young.....when he doesn't reach and get out of position....when he doesn't take bad risks for low percentage steals....when he is locked in, and is locked in with his teammates on switches, through screens, maintaining contact with Carr.....the offense is on the stat sheet is fine but doesn't tell the story at all.....

But Jacob Young was completely dominant on defense. If that focus can be channeled in Indiana for the B1G and NCAA tournament and he is locked in like today, RU becomes a very dangerous team....

IF you are an opponent AND are reliant on your guards to carry your team to victory, you don't want to see RU in your side of the bracket.....Young has the potential to smother any guard for extended stretches of a game.....that is the story of RU basketball, defense first, making it difficult for an opponent to believe they're going to run offense and get whatever shot they want......good luck dealing with Jacob Young, if you draw RU.....

Last edited:
Any RU fans who wanted an easy ride and cruise into the NCAAs, without REALLY knowing how a team would perform over an extended period of time, under pressure, found out again today....found out or discovered some guts, more grit and more heart.

I probably would have wondered if RU crushed today by 8 to 12 in regulation, if this group understands magnitude of performance. You can complain about the coughed up lead and have no arguments from any RU fans that it wasn't good.

BUT

The coaching staff, all players NEEDED this test today.....needed to be locked in defensively, to scout Minnesota and smother Marcus Carr.

The OT was also necessary for this roster to file away for next week or beyond. The staff also needed OT and to be ready down the road & to clean up the mistakes and can coach up this team for tournament play. There are a lot of positives coming from places other than RHJ, to build on for the tournament.

The B1G has for 3 years in a row, provided as much to help this program learn and grow and become battle tested. RU does not win at Indiana earlier in the year, if it does deliver last year at Purdue in the finale........it does not win today at Minnesota, if not pushed to the brink, down 15 at home to Indiana.

Jacob Young.....when he doesn't reach and get out of position....when he doesn't take bad risks for low percentage steals....when he is locked in, and is locked in with his teammates on switches, through screens, maintaining contact with Carr.....the offense is on the stat sheet is fine but doesn't tell the story at all.....

But Jacob Young was completely dominant on defense. If that focus can be channeled in Indiana for the B1G and NCAA tournament and he is locked in like today, RU becomes a very dangerous team....

IF you are an opponent AND are reliant on your guards to carry your team to victory, you don't want to see RU in your side of the bracket.....Young has the potential to smother any guard for extended stretches of a game.....that is the story of RU basketball, defense first, making it difficult for an opponent to believe they're going to run offense and get whatever shot they want......good luck dealing with Jacob Young, if you draw RU.....
So are you suggesting that this was a blessing in disguise?

bac- great recap summarizing the up and down performances in this game and for the season.The team achieved 10 league wins along with four road wins.The team will achieve the first NCAA bid in 30 years.While there was very little consistent scoring multiple players had highlight light performances during the season.Young was my most valuable player because of defense, energy and double digit scoring.His transfer to Rutgers has been one of Pikiell's best recruits.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Lock it up. Rutgers will FINALLY see their name called on Selection Sunday. RU would have their name called last season but then came Covid. Amazingly its almost like we saw this movie as the season wound down last year. RU built up a strong resume early on but sort of tailed off toward the latter parts of the year leaving their lacking a bit. RU needing to lock in BEFORE the Big 10 tourmanent just like last season. Saturday noon road game against a team who had NCAA aspiration most of the year. Two things different of course, instead of coming off a rousing win over first place Maryland, RU was limping in off a 21 point beatdown by last place Nebraska. Instead of playing Purdue who had longshot but still alive NCAA hopes, they were facing a Minnesota program that was imploding game by game and ravaged by injuries. Much like the game last year, RU took control and then let Minnesota back in the game and like last year they sent it into overtime. From there things would go RU ways and they secured the victory., Winners make winning plays, losers go home.

30 freaking years later, I was at RU when they last went in 91 and blessed to have 2 NCAAs and 2NITs in that stretch, never ever would I think we would have so much futility since. Despite all the ups and downs this season, all the highs of being ranked #12 and taking down Illinois, all the lows of the five game losing streak and 8 minute scoring droughts, this team has accomplished its mission. Forget about the bad, its March, its tourney time. Forget about the meltdown in this game and the inability to seal this easily in regulation. You know why? It simply does not matter. Making the dance supersedes everything. Rutgers back against the wall, not making it easy on themselves simply won. They were winners, winners make plays, losers go home.

Let's talk about Jacob Young and his evolution over 3 seasons. One on the bench as a transfer patiently sitting out. One trying to find any kind of consistency with his flashes of brilliances hampered by trying to do too much. And the final one in 2020-21, Jacob becoming a starter, becoming a difference maker, changing the game, becoming our best defender and gaining the respect of his teammates. Today we saw the best of Jacob Young and the culmination of 3 years working hard within the program. Jacob delivered the win today. Whether it was with his shot making...8/13 today including the tone setter in overtime or his court vision or his ball distribution in overtime leading to a 6 points lead. Jacob had himself a game, 23 points, 7 assists, 5 boards and 4 steals playing relentless minute after minute on D. Jacob set the tone. Jacob was the leader. His teammates and coaches trusted him and proof of that is what you saw in overtime. Today we saw Jacob put his stamp on this program. Today we saw Jacob become a leader. Everyone loves this kid but those mistakes we hate but you know what it doesn't matter. What matter is that with Rutgers backs against the wall, Jacob delivered a performance that put the 2020-2021 Scarlet Knights in the history books and his legacy in the Rutgers annals has been cemented.

Here is just what some of Jacob did today in overtime

Jacob hits jumper RU up 65-63
Jacob blocks Carr shot
Jacob assist to Myles, RU up 67-63
Jacob rebounds Curry miss
Jacob assist to Caleb for dunk, RU up 69-63
Jacob hits jumper and foul shot, RU up 74-68
Jacob hits foul shot, RU up 75-70

That is not even going back to what he provided earlier in the game. Go back to a key last two minute stretch before halftime, where JY had 4 points, an assist to Geo for 3 , a rebound off a Minny miss then delivering an assist for a monster jam by Mathis and all of a sudden RU is up 9 with all the momentum heading into the locker room. Just another example of Jacob's explosiveness and ability to change the course of a game. Jacob was also in on in that play in regulation that could prevented a disastrous loss in regulation by stepping in front of a Curry pass with 15 seconds left.

Its not to say that the rest of the team did not have their moments. While Jacob delivered the win, everyone seem to contribute in their own ways that got RU a double digit lead. Geo with a flurry of 3s before halftime which broke open a tight game and logging in 43 minutes before fouling out. Myles hauling in 15 boards including 4 in overtime and how fitting for him to hit his final 2 foul shots to make it 77-70. Montez have his best game since Purdue. A hound on defense and making some nifty offensive moves. Caleb contributing in all ways. He was under the basket for that dunk in OT and hitting free throws in that 6-0 RU spurt to start overtime. Plus he had 4 steals. Never question his work ethic and willingness to contribute. Ron had a couple of 3s which were key at both times.

We can hem and haw and dissect until we are blue in the face about what happened in this game and what has happened at times all season long....yet it will not matter, this team will continue to keep us guessing, it will almost do the opposite of what we think is going to happen everytime. Just when we are out, they pull us back in. We can talk about what we could have been but why? Rutgers is in the dance. We have waited for this moment. It was ruined by a nasty virus last year. Let us soak those feeling in and flush out 30 years of negativity and unfilled promises from the Wenzel, Bannon, Waters, Rice, Jordan eras. It is finally happening.

Dance with me
Can't you see?
Dance with me
Fantasy could never be so killing
I feel free, I hope that you are willing
Pick the beat up, and kick your feet up
Dance with me
Let it lift you off the ground
Starry eyes, and love is all around us
I can take you where you want to go
Oh, oh
Dance with me
Can't you see?
Dance with me

Great post! Remember high-fiving last year on the floor after the game and seeing how happy the fans, the team and Coach were? I even got to high five the Coach. Was so awesome and then friggin' COVID.

Who among us would've ever thought it would take this long? I wasn't there for the 76 team, but we were good in my undergrad days with the very good '83 team that won our last tourney game before that loss against a very good SJU team.

And after the debacle of Littlepage, Wenzel got us there twice, including that best ever game at the RAC beating PSU to go dancing in '89. And then mostly nothing since '91, apart from a close call under Bannon and a close call under Waters. Depressing to think about, but so happy for the team, the program and especially the long-suffering fans - we deserved this.

By the way, I have "Dance With Me" on 45 from when I was about 13 (came out in 75). It also happened to be the song playing in my friend's basement, at my first ever real "party" when I was in 7th grade, when I first slow danced and made out with a girl. Schwing!

And I lived to see it. Missed the 76 team cause lived far away and no real TV. Saw a few Waters games abd expected program to grow. Now a mid level B1G program ( ahead of football). Pike just needs to keep the kind of kids he’s got, add some shooters and the sky’s the limit.

Great writeup. My hope now is that with the monkey off their back this team relaxes and goes on a nice little run. I think most underestimate how much pressure they felt to make the dance for us fans after 30 years!!

Marcus carr averages 20 ppg and jacob literally just erased him, made him a non-factor. He didnt score his first point until there was like 5 mins left in the 2nd half.

JY is just built different, ive never seen a kid play that hard consistently and simply not get tired. Its remarkable.

Again his performance today will be talked about for decades, it’s a legendary performance. When talking about RU bball when you hear “the interception” everyone will automatically know what youre referring to

Let’s be real honest. That would have been a choke job of mammoth performance.

no one now will now remember Geos behind the back pass.

so pumped we are going to the dance. Very concerned that we are an absolute mess on offense. Too many players in slumps and too many problems.

we need lightning in a bottle and some how need to figure out things offensively so we can make a run

we have the pieces...just need to get going.

Reactions: milktruck

BUT

Young brought his “A” game on both ends of the court today. He never shrinks from a big moment ... his confidence is off the charts. That steal at the end of regulation probably saved the game for RU. Carr was wide open for a layup.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Always wonder what the folks at Texas think when they see Jacob having a game like that. Glad he’s ours now, a true Scarlet Knight. “The Catalyst” for this team, on both sides of the ball.

and we were 1 JY steal with 16.9 seconds left from going home........

Last edited:
Young brought his “A” game on both ends of the court today. He never shrinks from a big moment ... his confidence is off the charts. That steal at the end of regulation probably saved the game for RU. Carr was wide open for a layup.

*without any question (FIFY)

so pumped we are going to the dance. Very concerned that we are an absolute mess on offense. Too many players in slumps and too many problems.

we need lightning in a bottle and some how need to figure out things offensively so we can make a run

Winning matters

Reactions: sammybb
Probably? Definitely saved the game. If not for that pick it’s a sad flight back to nj

I will never forget the Minnesota's player drive to the basket with 3 minutes left for an uncontested layup. I thought we were done.

Great Recaps all year Bac! It is nice that the pressure is off now.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Great writeup. My hope now is that with the monkey off their back this team relaxes and goes on a nice little run. I think most underestimate how much pressure they felt to make the dance for us fans after 30 years!!
I agree. There was a lot of pressure on this team. Most expected them to be better than last year's team and definitely make the NCAA Tournament. It would have been a big time disappointment to not make the NCAA's this year after being a sure thing last year, and having the tournament canceled by Covid-19.
And the long drought would have continued. So happy for the players coaches and fans. It will be great when Rutgers name is called on Selection Sunday. Looking forward to it. GO RU!

Reactions: Groz
JY certainly deserves the accolades for his play on both ends yesterday which saved the team from what would have been an unmitigated disaster. I initially resisted considering it one for the ages but some of the posts in the other thread make a compelling case given our history. For me the end result yesterday allowed for some level of relief from a high level of frustration where as last year when they won at Purdue there was genuine exuberance. This has just been a different year.

Nice to see Montez flash some finishes and I thought he could have helped down the stretch given the comparative stat lines with Caleb and Paul. If Myles finishes better we probably don't have to endure OT. Thank goodness he grabbed the number of rebounds he did because no one else excelled in that area. Ron and Geo were OK offensively but at times played like fundamental defense was a foreign concept. Johnson feasted on Ron and Paul all game long. What I did not understand is that we willingly switched to have Paul guard him for long stretches. That lack of a 4 really showed again yesterday.

I actually came away more impressed with Minnesota's effort given the injuries and getting nothing from Carr. Yes I know JY was the reason for nothing from Carr but we made them look better than they were. Seems like some are rationalizing RU's poor performance, particularly down the stretch, because it was feeling pressure to make the tournament. This doesn't hold water with me given the experience level of the team.

While its nice to be able to bask in a victory that apparently seals the deal on a tourney invite, reflecting on the entire game really tempers expectations on what to expect from this team over the next couple of weeks. Maybe one win in the conference tournament depending on the match up? Its likely to be against a team who still thinks they have a shot with a conference tournament run. If they can shoot it well for 30 minutes one game they will have a chance but that is less likely against better competition. It would have been interesting to see last year's team play in the tournament because I think they were likely better than this years edition.

Reactions: FastMJ
I will never forget the Minnesota's player drive to the basket with 3 minutes left for an uncontested layup. I thought we were done.

I did too. RHJ literally moving away from the guy driving was brutal.

And the game saving Interception at end of regulation time saved our season and our ticket to the dance!

So glad the monkey is off Rutgers back and that a NCAA bid is all but assured. However the reality is that this team is not as good as last year's team. The lack of a true power forward that can rebound and score 8-11 points per game is a glaring hole. One key for the post-season is RHJ. Rutgers needs desperately another rebounder to take some of the burden off Myles. Unfortunately RHJ's game suffers when his outside shot is missing . Maybe Caleb and/or Montez can fill that void. Another key is Paul . He hurts the team with his pass-first mindset. When he has the ball teams defend the pass rather than his shot and that's led to turnovers. He needs to keep them honest. Finally, I think Geo will have a big NCAA Tournament . Making the NCAAs should be just the energy boost and recharge that this team and especially Geo lacked for the past 4 weeks. As disappointing as were the last 10 games , I think Rutgers will surprise many and go far deeper in the NCAAs than most expect..

Reactions: bac2therac
Didn't Harper have 4 fouls? If he fouled out would not have helped.

Winning matters

March is all about pressure, and how you respond to pressure. This team had the weight of 30 years on it back, and they didn't always wear it well. But when they 100% needed to perform, after giving up a big lead and going to OT on the road, they made it happen.

In short, they bent about as far as you can bend, but they ultimately did not break. And that is going to be crucial experience to take with them for the B10 and NCAA tourneys. Teams are going to make runs. There are going to be stretches of games where you look like crap and your opponent looks like world beaters. The big question is how do you respond. What I hope the team takes from today is they have the ability to turn it around when they need to. IT's about confidence--when things are not going well, can you maintain the confidence that you can make it right?

I was watching Tekia Mack in the press conference after a recent game for the women, and she was explaining how much the team believes in itself--that even when they were down by 20 at Iowa, they knew they could right the ship. That when teams make runs, they can still take care of business. That's the type of moxie I want the men to have.

And like others have said, now that they should be locked for a tournament bid, I am hopeful the weight comes off and they play like they have nothing to lose. This is a flawed team, and I'm not sure anyone will expect them to go far in the tournament. Great--take that and run with it. Prove the doubters wrong. Play to win because no one expects you to anymore. Play hard, play smart, and have fun. (oh...and make your free throws).

Didn't Harper have 4 fouls? If he fouled out would not have helped.
He did have 4 fouls, but if you watch the replay he clearly was not focused on the ball and was looking to his left. For me, it was more of a lack of awareness than it was trying to not foul out of the game.

Harp had big rebound in overtime. Agree was not very aware.

JY sank some clutch free throws. He's the only guy on the team that I feel confident when he steps up to the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT