ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 25 Indiana: The Chapter of Paul being written

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
What a grind out win today. Ugly again at the start and had everyone pulling their hair out in the game threads as we saw the same game unfolding. No offense, a long scoring drought and pourous defense. Much like last time RU was able to regroup following back to back 3s by Geo and Ron. They shook off the slow start down 21-11 this time and outscore Indiana 50-29 the rest of the way. Last time the run peaked at 47-12. This time RU had to repel an Indiana comeback though which saw the Hoosiers go up 48-47. Unbelievably RU held Indiana without a fg over the last 9:48 of the game and Indiana would only score two free throws in that stretch while RU ended the game on a 14-2 run. It was a full out Rutgers strong lunch pail defensive performance crushing the Hoosiers on the boards 41-33 and relentlessly making it uncomfortable for Indiana to find an easy shot.

You know we have seen games won by Geo or Ron or Jacob or Myles plenty of times and of course its usually a team effort too. Obviously everyone contributed at some today whether it was Ron getting us back in before halftime or Geo's 7 assists or Jacob's dipsy dos but never before have we read this particularly story in the ever evolving book of the Rutgers Journey to the NCAA. The Chapter of Paul was written tonight and will be remembered in the history books of hitting two of the most clutch back to back shots that broke open a tight game at 49-48 and pushed the RU lead to 55-48 where they had the cushion to close this one out. Paul has taken a lot of heat on the boards. Not exactly sure why. Listen he is never going to be the prolific scorer or play maker and he certainly is not our best defender. However he is our toughest player and our scrappiest player. I do not know what intangibles are but he brings them. Yes he can make mistakes and that is okay because he does not compounds his mistakes which is the difference. Indiana dared him to shoot tonight and Paul who had a nice first half with 2 points, 3 boards, and 2 assists was struggling shooting just 2-9 as the 2nd half wore on. Then fouling a timeout and two minute stretch at a critical juncture where both teams could not get anything going. Paul sank two daggers into the Hoosier's hearts effectively gutting them.

Caleb to Paul for wide open 3 from the wing, feet planted and set....and Paul delivered....52-48 with 7:11 left
next play Paul huge rebound off a Indiana miss
later Jacob to Paul in same spot...onions....55-48 with 5:34 left
Paul finished with 10 points, 5 rebounds 2 assists in 31 minutes.

But this just shows that Paul is earning the respect of his coaches and his teammates and be trusted to take the big shots to win the game, even later on a Paul miss from the corner, it was interesting Jacob went to Paul again rather than a wide open Geo. Paul in two years will most likely be paying it forward setting up jaden Jones in the corner for those shots

I cannot deny that this team is a tough watch because of its inconsistency throughout the game. The slow starts well documented at this point but once again the team digs down deep and even when they were not exactly closing it out offensively late, I think they knew they had Indiana beaten. Indiana missed a ton of free throws and were short on everything. Looked like a tired and uninspired performance which reflects their coach. Time to move on from the Archie Miller era but also time for their fans to be dealt reality of their place in college basketball. The booing of their players in the only game they were able to watch due to a friggin pandemic was one of the most embarrassing displays of sportsmanship I have heard on tv

So RU now completely owns the Hoosiers, I have lost track of the stats at this point. This win was important to keep momentum going for the NCAA tourney and RU now looks pretty good to be no worse than a 9 at this point. House money vs an Illinois team that RU already beat. There will be no fear. In fact RU has won 2 straight against the Illini. I have said this before and will say it again. This is a great rivalry game if you go back the last 3-4 years. I think RU is confidenct enough to compete and challenge them. Whether we pull off the upset I do not know but I do know we are coming into the game with a game under our belt and have the experience of shooting in a different kind of environment so if we use this to our advantage and get out to a quicker start the longer we hang with Illinois the better chance we will have to pull off the upset

Oh and again lets bask in all this winning and enjoy this. We have no worries as fans. We are going to the tournament. This next week will be a whirlwind of attention and media. This is what we have been dreaming of for 30 years. Do not take this time for granted. All of us loyals fans deserve this. Tears of joy and tears of happiness. We can always feel good that we stuck through it for 30 years and what a painful journey we had to endure to get to this momentous occasion. This is for all the long suffering fans who were part of the 2500 showing up to non conference games in Decembers over the past 30 years, all those past and present. All the new fans who came on board yes you are included too. We can thank Coach Pikiell and all these players for making their dreams a reality and delivering the golden biscuit.

Paul came through. He has to keep looking for shots. Can’t play 4-5 on offense. I don’t mind him getting stuff because he is keeping the D honest.

I was expecting lyrics from a song by The Archies.

Always great to get a win in a tournament.

This should help give pm some more confidence to shoot now when getting the open look and this is what we need. Also when he drives to the paint he needs to learn how to jump stop. He could get so many easy assists or fouls in doing so.

You captured it perfectly Bac.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Paul needs to shoot the tre and make it so defenses will respect him as they leave him open

I liked Paul driving it to the basket but go harder and with more jump to dunk it so he gets fouled. I trust Paul at the free throw line.

Great Win! I love Conference Tournament Time !

Reactions: zebnatto
Paul has a decent stroke from deep. All he needed was confidence, and I think he has that now.

decent stroke and he also finished the season as RU’s most accurate 3-point shooter at 38%. If he can get that up to 40%+ next year he will be dangerous.

Reactions: BillyC80
Lost in the win was once again how we kinda got hosed by the officials, in the first half especially. Indiana was 5 for 16 with several missed one and ones.

We went 7 for 9! Yeah Myles! No reason for weird fouls discrepancy which thankfully did not bite us like OSU, Iowa, among others.

Great win and review in all other respects!!!

Funniest line of the recap when discussing Paul: "I don't know what intangibles are but he brings them". I think of intangibles as traits not captured by traditional statistics seen in box scores. Paul made a couple of big threes with the second resulting in a demonstrative fist pump on the couch from yours truly.

The first half the game did take on a similar trend as our last meeting but just not to the same level of extremes.

Once we started playing better until when IU folded down the stretch, I thought it was a very good game to watch. I thought our ball movement was better and we got good shots. I liked that Ron took the ball to the basket early and was getting to the foul line. Its nice when he hits a couple of three but don't discount the importance of 11 rebounds. Myles was Myles and he and Cliff made TDJ work hard on both ends.

We got very little from our bench due to foul trouble.

IU's stat line looked a lot like ours during our losses, bad 3pt shooting, bad FT shooting and out rebounded. If I was an IU fan, you can't help but be disappointed in the performance over the last 8 minutes or so.

Finally, I think I only posted once in the game thread and it was about our inability to inbound the basketball. I was following the posts for a portion of the first half but then put it down as RU started hitting some shots.

For some reason after the game I decided to go through the thread to see how the tone and nature of some posters comments adjusted. It was pretty funny but posts of the night were from Mildone who missed the early portion of the game and asked something to the extent of whether he missed any negative comments? The responses were LOL funny. The other was the reaction to Jacob Young's last shot of the first half. I was laughing at the WTF responses to that decision.

Hoping for another competitive game this evening.

Paul taking the reins as Bayonne's favorite athlete from this guy

8588791_f248.jpg

What a grind out win today. Ugly again at the start and had everyone pulling their hair out in the game threads as we saw the same game unfolding. No offense, a long scoring drought and pourous defense. Much like last time RU was able to regroup following back to back 3s by Geo and Ron. They shook off the slow start down 21-11 this time and outscore Indiana 50-29 the rest of the way. Last time the run peaked at 47-12. This time RU had to repel an Indiana comeback though which saw the Hoosiers go up 48-47. Unbelievably RU held Indiana without a fg over the last 9:48 of the game and Indiana would only score two free throws in that stretch while RU ended the game on a 14-2 run. It was a full out Rutgers strong lunch pail defensive performance crushing the Hoosiers on the boards 41-33 and relentlessly making it uncomfortable for Indiana to find an easy shot.

Caleb to Paul for wide open 3 from the wing, feet planted and set....and Paul delivered....52-48 with 7:11 left
next play Paul huge rebound off a Indiana miss
later Jacob to Paul in same spot...onions....55-48 with 5:34 left
Paul finished with 10 points, 5 rebounds 2 assists in 31 minutes.

Please we need Raftery for a game in the tourney...
ONIONS!!! Double Order!

Paul needs to shoot the tre and make it so defenses will respect him as they leave him open

I liked Paul driving it to the basket but go harder and with more jump to dunk it so he gets fouled. I trust Paul at the free throw line.

Great Win! I love Conference Tournament Time !
Yeah, would be great if Paul went hard to the rim.

Lots of people complain here of Paul’s offense .. I just keep thinking, he’s only a sophomore and he averaged a triple double in HS ... as he gets used to the college game and continues to get tougher, that offense is still in there somewhere and it will be unleashed

A willing taker and decent maker of corner threes is this team really needs from Paul and he has delivered as the year has gone on.

One offshoot of Paul taking more shots is that opposing defenses no longer can defend solely the pass , thereby limiting Paul's turnovers. His contributions will only then increase. Another under the radar contributor last night was Caleb. He does a lot of things well , especially rebounding and tough defense. If his outside shot improves ( and I believe it will once his back issues are behind him) , he will contribute significantly. I really like his game. Finally , I think RHJ is due for a big game against Illinois. His rebounding has improved and he looks to be more confident in his outside shot. If he makes his first shot from outside the arc, look out Illinois. If he only lost about 15-20 pounds , his game would be so much better. He'd maintain his strength but be so much quicker and off his feet.

Reactions: patk89
The Bayonne Bomber strikes...
good to see nickname I thought of catching on..
his threat now of corner three will spread out our offense. Opens up multiple possibilities around the arc, freeing up Ron & Geo. also a less crowded lane to penetrate, and more room for Myles to cleanup..
There is also a good chance that we will be playing NCAA games at Lucas, so it will be an advantage having multiple 3 point shooters on a roll there..

Last edited:
Love the confidence of his teammates in him, passing him the ball at those crucial stages of the game. It was clear that he appreciated those looks. Great having additional scoring options when things get tight. Very nice win. Beating Indiana 3 times in one season? Pinch me!

Paul taking the reins as Bayonne's favorite athlete from this guy

8588791_f248.jpg
t
Met Chuck Wepner a couple of times at charity events. Quite a character. Was very surprised that Chuck was so well respected by all around him...including MVP's of their sports, SB and WS winners. Going 15 rounds on only guts and determination including a debatable knock down of Ali will do that

Met Chuck Wepner a couple of times at charity events. Quite a character. Was very surprised that Chuck was so well respected by all around him...including MVP's of their sports, SB and WS winners. Going 15 rounds on only guts and determination including a debatable knock down of Ali will do that
(oh man.. I just realized I necro'd this based on it popping up as a related thread... sorry)

While I like the thought... not sure PM is the best Bayonne athlete that attended Rutgers,

23combine.600.jpg

but favorite? perhaps... PM has time.

Reactions: Night Man
ADVERTISEMENT