ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 30 Maryland: Historical

Entered as a freshman in 1964, so bac is not really that old, ha-ha. Excitement with RU B-ball started when I heard a guy shout from the dormer window way at the top of “the Barn” to someone on College Ave—hey, c’mon in, we’re beating the #20 team in the country. Georgetown had 6-11 Fred Holloendoner, but we had sophomores Bob Lloyd and Jim Valvano. After that I was hooked. Was in the Barn (before it was known as the Barn) when Lloyd’s FT streak ended. Gym was deathly quiet when he went to the line—at that point he had made around 62 straight. Some bozo yells out “SHOOOOT!!” Ball bounces off the front of the rim. I don’t know how that guy got out of that gym alive. Was also at the old Garden when Lloyd set the NIT scoring record of 129 in 4 games—but the greatest thrill was hearing us on the radio beat Utah State by 2, and THEN watch in person as we upset New Mexico and Mel Daniels, later 7-time ABA all-star. Greater days under Tom Young, and the prospect of more greater days to come—but the excitement began with Lloyd and Valvano!

Was a freshman in 76, a couple of months after the Final Four. My freshman year was the last year at the Barn. This performance was right up there with Cincinnati at the Garden in 77 and Seton Hall this year as dominating performances. We absorbed every punch, every run and made them wave the white flag with 3 minutes to go.

Earlier poster talked about the Nets: Mike Newlin and Tim Bassett were staples on those teams. We used to do some post game interviews when I was at WRSU and the first pro I ever interviewed was a rookie at the time, Bernard King.

Reactions: Antnee79 and goru7
Although we haven't seen each other in a while, I still remember the young, muscular, guido-esque "Bac2TheRac" from the late 90s and early 21st century. Now you're an old man, lol.

My freshman year at RU was Fall, 1983 so I just missed the last team to win an NCAA Tournament game. Can you believe I'm still waiting to see RU win one?

Prior to enrolling at RU I honestly didn't pay much attention to college sports. I was a MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA fan. But something about Rutgers football and men's basketball got under my skin and I've been hooked ever since. I guess the Mets fan in me created a high threshold for failure but also a deep appreciation when things went well that no Yankees fan will ever understand.

While I can't put last night on the same level as the '89 A-10 Championship (as you said, that will never be duplicated), it was very special.

ah the Rutgers tuxedo days! Aging like fine wine though

at least I got two tourneys at RU, those after me do not have any...we lost almost 3 decades of fans

Reactions: LeapinLou
Excellent write up. Season ticket holder since 1991. Was at the 1989 Penn State game as a Senior. Brings back a lot of memories. Really enjoying this year.

Reactions: bac2therac
Apologies to those that already read the post game notes on SK.com, but yesterday's list included a couple of really nice milestones:
  • Rutgers has earned its most conference wins (10) since 1990-91 (14-4; A-10).
  • RU has captured its most home victories in a season in program history (18).
  • The Scarlet Knights have secured the most home regular season wins in the nation this season (18).
  • Rutgers has defeated four nationally ranked teams in as many games at the RAC this season, all by double digits.
  • RU earned its 11th all-time victory over a top 10-ranked team.
  • The Scarlet Knights earned their highest ranked victory under head coach Steve Pikiell.
  • Tonight's sell-out was venue's ninth straight out of a school-record 10 this season.
  • Prior to tonight's game, Maryland was one of three teams (Michigan, Michigan State) that Rutgers had yet to defeat since joining the Big Ten.
  • Rutgers is 18-29 all-time versus ranked foes at a capacity RAC and 5-4 under Steve Pikiell, including four straight wins by double digits.
  • RU honored student-athletes Akwasi Yeboah, Shaq Carter and Joey Downes, as well as head managers Scott Scherer and Mike Sasso, in a pre-game ceremony. It marked the first time Yeboah's mother had seen him play in a collegiate basketball game.
  • Rutgers scored 78 points against a Maryland defense that ranked 35th nationally in scoring defense (63.8).
  • The Scarlet Knights' 17 assists tied for their most in a Big Ten game this season (Iowa).
  • RU committed only seven turnovers, tying for its fewest (Minnesota) in a game this season.
  • Rutgers has out-rebounded its opponent in 21 of 30 games this season.
  • Jacob Young scored in double digits for the 12th time this season and the 21st time in his career.
  • Montez Mathis scored in double figures for the 10th time this season and the 23rd time in his career.
  • Geo Baker scored in double digits for the 15th time this season and the 57th time in his career.

My father's business bought the original Two Guys building in Harrison, NJ. Two Guys was a big sponsor of the Nets when they played at the RAC in the late 70s and part of the deal for the building was 11 year old RutgHoops got to be ball boy for the Nets at the RAC five times a year for two years. My dad knew I loved basketball. Bernard King, Kevin Porter, Jan Van Breda Koff, George Johnson, "Super" John Williamson.

Was also my first experience with the RAC. My dad was a good man. May he rest in peace.
Two Guys from Harrison... a store that will live in infamy. It was ahead of its time. My first job was working in the Two Guys snack bar at the East Brunswick store.

I guess it isn’t appropriate to mention we played zone a few possessions in this thread.

season ticket holder for 15-20 years, graduate in 1993.

Yes. With all of the emotion of the win, I totally forgot about our zone. What did you think of the zone D, Greene?

And Is this Pike self-scouting and bringing some new wrinkles for our opponents before the B1G Tournament?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT