ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 30 Penn State: Hanging on a Heart Attack

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Nothing has ever come easy for this group over the past 3 years. It don't come easy...you know it don't come easy. Why would it be? The final moments were apropos for this exasperating bunch who have changed the course of history of Rutgers basketball. I mean RU already played in 11 one possession games at this year. RU's darkest moment was a Lafayette 3 giving them a stunning upset at the RAC in November yet here Rutgers was still standing after all this time in March playing for a chance to secure a NCAA at large bid. In between we saw RU find their way bac and go all the way up. The highs more often than the lows and that was why they had a last chance for that last dance. Everyone told you to keep those nitroglycerin pills handy, forget about vaccine mandates, there should be blood pressure checks before entering the RAC. Did you feel a little woozy? Heart palpitating? I did, I know I did not eat much breakfest but damn I was lightheaded in the aftermath. Because if you only knew what you're putting me through...a heart attack...you're givin me a heart attack. Checking with those around me, did we win? Is it over? It took some time to grasp what we had just seen. Wait we did win, Rutgers won. That is all that matters. You can go see your doctor in the morning. Deal with the ramifications later. There will always be open appointments in April for open heart surgery. Ron, Geo, and Caleb let's dance the last dance, let's dance the last dance tonight.

So overwhelmingly happy for this group. You cannot say enough how they along with Coach Pikiell changed the culture of RU hoops much like the Brian Leonard/Ray Rice group did with Coach Schiano for football. The hard work, the swagger, the ability to never give up in perilous moments will be remembered forever in RAC lore. This year has brought the RAC to amazing highs as a fan. An atmosphere second to none in the country and cherish these memories as these are the days to remember. I will not count my chickens yet but another NCAA appearance what would have been 3 in a row without covid, likely barring some absurd snub. But again Rutgers needs to close the deal, if they are seeded 5th then beat the 12, if the first opponent is Iowa, then they need to play their asses off.

A lot went right in this game. The first 30 minutes was prototypical RU effort locked in on defense and hitting enough shots on offense to stay in control by a good margin. RU sort of wavered for a few minutes in the first half but then closed out well limiting PSU to just 5 fgs and then continued their run of 11-0 into the 2nd half to open up a 36-21 lead. The defense was excellent for RU, so locked in and PSU was forced into a few shot clock violations and late attempts with the clock running down. The RAC was happy to apply several assists. A packed, loud and engaged crowd. Everything looked and checked the boxes and with about 9:24 left and RU up 51-38. Penn State was matching us basket for basket but the thinking was at that rate RU should be able to win comfortably. That did not happen, here comes the pesky Lions. Penn State is what they are...a 12-16/7-13 2nd division school. They are like what Rutgers was for years in the Big East and the first few years of Pikiell. Pesky tough and not intimidated, Seen this before at RU, remember going to Cuse and UConn and Gtown and playing them down to the wire or in some of the Pikes beginning years having a chance to knock off Sparty on the road. The backhanded compliment team...they always say you dont want to always play the pesky scrappy team. Well I would rather be good than pesky and yeah lucky too, that works. Give credit to Penn State they did everything they needed to do to win this game. They shut down and contested our drives to the hoop or at least altering the projection. They denied the ball from Ron's hands and RU fell into the trap of not moving the ball and Paul particiularly was brutal in a key stretch when we needed a calming bucket.

I also think Pike played it cute with the lineup during this time and it bit him hard. Ron came out at 51-38. Hyatt jacked up a shot, Paul had two bad possessions in a row, our defense lapsed at the other end. I commented in the game thread, its a fine line between a comfortable win of 10-12 points and a down to the wire nailbiter. Fact is RU never should have been in that position. Turnovers, bricks, blown dunks, blown layups and biggest of all free throw shooting. Cannot go 9-17 while your opponent is going 16-18. Penn State got hot from 3 and RU was giving the game away. It was almost the opposite of many RU road games where RU starts poorly and gets better. This was RU suddenly just losing all poise. All it could have taken was a made shot or some free throws and RU very might have won by 8 or 10. Cannot have so many empty possessions and it seemed like the moment of securing a bid was weighing on their minds as they reverted back to some early season closeouts at home. Only one fg in the last 7 minutes at home! Not a big fan of Pike in this game and he was outworked and outcoached by the PSU guy clearly and not being able to inbound has been quite an issue all year long in pressure situations. Geo was stuck in a bad spot the first inbound and then Paul in an impossible spot and I hope someone asked Pike what that play was supposed to be.

The basketball gods had a choice to make. The weak pass by Paul was intercepted by Lundy and that well defended 3 by Sessions was hoisted. The gods smiled and nodded at the RAC faithful. The shot fell by the wayside Exhale... If you feel like you are hangin on a heart attack, hold on come bac ooh yeah, its just that easy. Onto the Big 10 tournament and don't forget to bring your medical records.

If you know this song, big props,,,, Billboard #35 summer of 86

Last edited:
Just glad they did it. Ron played well, reiber continues to shoot out of his head, cliff made up for his 1H non-sense in 2H, and low and behold Hyatt came through when needed. A lot of people coming down hard on Paul but think he was just off and on and played close to his normal game.

Let’s get a double bye we could use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg and cm_13
Bac - you summed this up perfectly and I’m glad to hear that I wasn’t the only one with cardiac issues during this one. I think the crowd had a hard time processing what they just saw when they left the building. I know I did.

We’ll said bac, I had chest pains the last 8 minutes of the game. Some of us older fans are the Angina Squad.

• Haha
Reactions: Scarlet83
Bac…freaking crazy it was the exact same situation as 89 Atlantic 10 championship at the RAC …PSU down three , time out, wirh ball, our NCAA bid on the line

I had deja vu all over again….though this ending wasn’t nearly as clean ….

Reactions: LeapinLou
Very well said but again head in the sand with regard to officiating.

No comment at all regarding Cliff with two fouls at the 8:55 mark!

No comment at all PSU 9 to 4 in fouls in the first half. PSU was closer to the double bonus then we were to the bonus… at home.

No comment that the only reason PSU was even in the game in the first half and not facing a 20 point Seton Hall blowout was because they shot 10/12 from the line. The Officiating was a joke.

Reiber was outstanding and perhaps saved our bid.
Ron carried us for much of the 2nd.
Geo fast break to Ron best breakaway of the year? Geo had nice drives! Caleb was very good Caleb.
I thought Paul was having a decent game until he tried to do too much.
Think Cliff has to learn that sometimes the layup rather than the dunk is a smart play. But thought really nice 2nd half.
All of sudden we’ve reverted to poor foul shooting. We have to fix that.
We had fouls to give and allowed them threes. I foul and burn clock. Little puzzling.
Inbound play was a disaster. We are lucky. If I can’t get it in and all else fails throw it down other end. Gotta do better on inbounds plays.

Bigger picture we finally beat PSU first time in 4. We may very well be 4th in the B1G. We have clinched a bid. There is no way they can keep out a 4th place B1G team, NET be damned. This group of seniors has been one wild fun maddening scary enjoyable ride!! It’s been a great run.

Football drives the bus and Schiano is God but a major mistake in giving all those seats to recruits rather than RU fans. Would have like those seats screaming at PSU. Thought RU fans very classy not screaming F Penn State. Crowd still was great! Dogs were very good! T Shirts nice idea and RAC looked great!

Go RU!!!! Great review by BAC.

We have to avoid refs like Earl Watson, Bo Boroski, Paul Szelc, Lewis Garrison, and Brian McNutt.

20-21 losses @ OSU Bo, Szelc, vs Iowa Bo, @ Mich St Szelc, vs Ohio St Garrison, vs UMd Garrison, Szelc, BTT Illinois Szelc,

This year
Paul Szelc, Lewis Garrison, @ Depaul
Bo, Brian McNutt vs Lafayette* just because
Earl Watson, @ UMass
Lewis Garrison @ PSU
Brian McNutt, @ Minn* another ref to avoid
Lewis Garrison, @ UMich
Today Szelc, Garrison, Watson

They seem to be there when we lose more often than not

St John's game Big East tournament Higgins, Burr, Earl Watson.

Last edited:
There I was when we were up 15 wondering if they were going to be able to get a comfortable enough lead to get Luke Nathan into the game. Fast forward a few minutes and we’re white knuckling it all the way to the final buzzer.

Luck was on our side today, if that game was a couple tenths of a second longer that put back would have counted. Instead we escape with a win and now we all become the biggest Illini fans outside of Champaign for the evening.

Bac…freaking crazy it was the exact same situation as 89 Atlantic 10 championship at the RAC …PSU down three , time out, wirh ball, our NCAA bid on the line

I had deja vu all over again….though this ending wasn’t nearly as clean ….
I called this in January.
I predicted an upswing with a season reminiscent of 1989. And it culminated in a critical win vs PSU to clinch a bid.

Back to the sandwich shop.
L

We have to avoid refs like Earl Watson, Bo Boroski, Paul Szelc, Lewis Garrison, and Brian McNutt.

20-21 losses @ OSU Bo, Szelc, vs Iowa Bo, @ Mich St Szelc, vs Ohio St Garrison, vs UMd Garrison, Szelc, BTT Illinois Szelc,

This year
Paul Szelc, Lewis Garrison, @ Depaul
Bo, Brian McNutt vs Lafayette* just because
Earl Watson, @ UMass
Lewis Garrison @ PSU
Brian McNutt, @ Minn* another ref to avoid
Lewis Garrison, @ UMich
Today Szelc, Garrison, Watson

They seem to be there when we lose more often than not

St John's game Big East tournament Higgins, Burr, Earl Watson.
Szelc has become a real dick to RU. I was on his case for entire first half.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
There I was when we were up 15 wondering if they were going to be able to get a comfortable enough lead to get Luke Nathan into the game. Fast forward a few minutes and we’re white knuckling it all the way to the final buzzer.

Luck was on our side today, if that game was a couple tenths of a second longer that put back would have counted. Instead we escape with a win and now we all become the biggest Illini fans outside of Champaign for the evening.

When we were up 15 I too was thinking about Pikiell getting to sub guys out one by one for a big ovation, getting Luke Nathan in the game, etc.

By the end my foot was spasming with nerves. Really ran the gamut today.

Reactions: cm_13
My take from game ;

- I need nitroglycerin pills. My 58 year old heart can’t take these type of games. Lol

- So sad to the seniors leaveingv. Will always be indebted to Geo and Harp and Caleb for what they have provided over the years

- Kudos to Dean who was a lightning rod early in the first half with his instant offense

- Kudos to Hyatt who played a terrific game.

- Srill trying to figure out the Inbounds play.

- Credit Penn State as they could have easily folded

- Loved the Dylan Harper chant.

A couple of observations:

1) Made my comments about Paul in the other Paul thread, but in general, he might have had a good first half, but struggled in the second. He needs to drive without pivoting back because his offense is getting a little predictable.

2) Against a rebounding machine like Harrar, it became pretty evident the experience level difference between him and Cliff. Harrar may be a big body, but his positioning was spot on and often had Cliff pinned underneath the basket. Cliff needs to put a body on Harrar early before he gets near the basket.

3) Cliff needs to use the backboard more on some of his shots. He continues to occasionally try to shoot downward and directly into the basket.

4) When things started getting tight, people started trying to play hero ball. I am okay with Geo or Ron making a move, but some of the possessions were straight iso with no screens/fake screens.

Bac, it's been awhile!

Was able to make it to my first home game in some time today and was rewarded for it. I was glad to read your write-up though because while I had a blast, my reaction at the end definitely was in line with yours - it was confusing and overwhelming and didn't really hit me until later!

Bac, it's been awhile!

Was able to make it to my first home game in some time today and was rewarded for it. I was glad to read your write-up though because while I had a blast, my reaction at the end definitely was in line with yours - it was confusing and overwhelming and didn't really hit me until later!

Wow a blast from the past. Glad you got to the game. The senior post game made it all hit home! Yeah we did win afterall

Reactions: RUPete
Bac, it's been awhile!

You were one of the best fans of the Brian Leonard era, lol. Glad to see you here.

The PSU comeback took my breath away. I was kind of in a trance over the last 30 seconds, completely emotionless. Then when PSU stole the inbound pass, I figured PSU would drive the lane and either make the winning basket or get fouled trying. So I cratered into misery. But miraculously, PSU, despite being down one point, did not attack the basket and ended up killing the clock on our behalf. When the final horn had sounded and their would be no foul or review on that put back, I still just kind of sat there. Like I had just had the crap beaten out of me and my only relief was that it was over. It took me about 30 minutes to decompress and appreciate the fact that we had won.

You were one of the best fans of the Brian Leonard era, lol. Glad to see you here.

The PSU comeback took my breath away. I was kind of in a trance over the last 30 seconds, completely emotionless. Then when PSU stole the inbound pass, I figured PSU would drive the lane and either make the winning basket or get fouled trying. So I cratered into misery. But miraculously, PSU, despite being down one point, did not attack the basket and ended up killing the clock on our behalf. When the final horn had sounded and their would be no foul or review on that put back, I still just kind of sat there. Like I had just had the crap beaten out of me and my only relief was that it was over. It took me about 30 minutes to decompress and appreciate the fact that we had won.
It's amazing how so many of us felt the same way at the end. I see all the names posting on here and we have all been through so much for so long with these teams so it's completely understandable. Shout out to the best damn fans anywhere in the world!

We were tight. Totally understandable. Thank goodness we got a 15 point lead. Thank goodness Caleb knocked down the 2 FTs
An experienced starting lineup shouldn't be tight with all the close games they played this season.

An experienced starting lineup shouldn't be tight with all the close games they played this season.
On that particular day in that context, it’s understandable. Not surprised at all. Several of us commented on this possibly being an issue before the game.

Reactions: NiTeKnight
Some schools do it the game before the last game and others have ceremonies after the game ends..which is so awkward after a loss. See Indiana on Wednesday night

Reactions: Scangg
The tears I cry aren't tears of pain. They're all hide to my guilt and shame. I forgive you now I ask the same of you. While we were apart...I was human too.

oh no

The league with no DH
images

• Love
Reactions: bac2therac
Nothing has ever come easy for this group over the past 3 years. It don't come easy...you know it don't come easy. Why would it be? The final moments were apropos for this exasperating bunch who have changed the course of history of Rutgers basketball. I mean RU already played in 11 one possession games at this year. RU's darkest moment was a Lafayette 3 giving them a stunning upset at the RAC in November yet here Rutgers was still standing after all this time in March playing for a chance to secure a NCAA at large bid. In between we saw RU find their way bac and go all the way up. The highs more often than the lows and that was why they had a last chance for that last dance. Everyone told you to keep those nitroglycerin pills handy, forget about vaccine mandates, there should be blood pressure checks before entering the RAC. Did you feel a little woozy? Heart palpitating? I did, I know I did not eat much breakfest but damn I was lightheaded in the aftermath. Because if you only knew what you're putting me through...a heart attack...you're givin me a heart attack. Checking with those around me, did we win? Is it over? It took some time to grasp what we had just seen. Wait we did win, Rutgers won. That is all that matters. You can go see your doctor in the morning. Deal with the ramifications later. There will always be open appointments in April for open heart surgery. Ron, Geo, and Caleb let's dance the last dance, let's dance the last dance tonight.

So overwhelmingly happy for this group. You cannot say enough how they along with Coach Pikiell changed the culture of RU hoops much like the Brian Leonard/Ray Rice group did with Coach Schiano for football. The hard work, the swagger, the ability to never give up in perilous moments will be remembered forever in RAC lore. This year has brought the RAC to amazing highs as a fan. An atmosphere second to none in the country and cherish these memories as these are the days to remember. I will not count my chickens yet but another NCAA appearance what would have been 3 in a row without covid, likely barring some absurd snub. But again Rutgers needs to close the deal, if they are seeded 5th then beat the 12, if the first opponent is Iowa, then they need to play their asses off.

A lot went right in this game. The first 30 minutes was prototypical RU effort locked in on defense and hitting enough shots on offense to stay in control by a good margin. RU sort of wavered for a few minutes in the first half but then closed out well limiting PSU to just 5 fgs and then continued their run of 11-0 into the 2nd half to open up a 36-21 lead. The defense was excellent for RU, so locked in and PSU was forced into a few shot clock violations and late attempts with the clock running down. The RAC was happy to apply several assists. A packed, loud and engaged crowd. Everything looked and checked the boxes and with about 9:24 left and RU up 51-38. Penn State was matching us basket for basket but the thinking was at that rate RU should be able to win comfortably. That did not happen, here comes the pesky Lions. Penn State is what they are...a 12-16/7-13 2nd division school. They are like what Rutgers was for years in the Big East and the first few years of Pikiell. Pesky tough and not intimidated, Seen this before at RU, remember going to Cuse and UConn and Gtown and playing them down to the wire or in some of the Pikes beginning years having a chance to knock off Sparty on the road. The backhanded compliment team...they always say you dont want to always play the pesky scrappy team. Well I would rather be good than pesky and yeah lucky too, that works. Give credit to Penn State they did everything they needed to do to win this game. They shut down and contested our drives to the hoop or at least altering the projection. They denied the ball from Ron's hands and RU fell into the trap of not moving the ball and Paul particiularly was brutal in a key stretch when we needed a calming bucket.

I also think Pike played it cute with the lineup during this time and it bit him hard. Ron came out at 51-38. Hyatt jacked up a shot, Paul had two bad possessions in a row, our defense lapsed at the other end. I commented in the game thread, its a fine line between a comfortable win of 10-12 points and a down to the wire nailbiter. Fact is RU never should have been in that position. Turnovers, bricks, blown dunks, blown layups and biggest of all free throw shooting. Cannot go 9-17 while your opponent is going 16-18. Penn State got hot from 3 and RU was giving the game away. It was almost the opposite of many RU road games where RU starts poorly and gets better. This was RU suddenly just losing all poise. All it could have taken was a made shot or some free throws and RU very might have won by 8 or 10. Cannot have so many empty possessions and it seemed like the moment of securing a bid was weighing on their minds as they reverted back to some early season closeouts at home. Only one fg in the last 7 minutes at home! Not a big fan of Pike in this game and he was outworked and outcoached by the PSU guy clearly and not being able to inbound has been quite an issue all year long in pressure situations. Geo was stuck in a bad spot the first inbound and then Paul in an impossible spot and I hope someone asked Pike what that play was supposed to be.

The basketball gods had a choice to make. The weak pass by Paul was intercepted by Lundy and that well defended 3 by Sessions was hoisted. The gods smiled and nodded at the RAC faithful. The shot fell by the wayside Exhale... If you feel like you are hangin on a heart attack, hold on come bac ooh yeah, its just that easy. Onto the Big 10 tournament and don't forget to bring your medical records.

Bac,

Are you aware that they didn't stop making music in the 1980s? :)

Funny I thought we lost. I thought they were putting #3 on the line. I asked my son “did we win” LOL. Great recap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT