ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 31 NORTHWESTERN: Sinking

Pretty tame recap. The staff isn't going to throw players under the bus, it's not in Pikes nature to do so publicly.

The offense for any team in college basketball, starts and ends with your guard play. If you have a big man on top of it, great.....but the basketball game starts and ends with generating offense from your lead guards, ideally, those with game experience at a Power 5 level.

The smoke signals were there last spring, based on what they targeted.....Kyle Lofton from St Bona was a combo guard, who may have helped......Marcus Hammond went to Notre Dame instead, landing in purgatory of a miserable South Bend winter. Lofton and Florida.....?? Also nowhere near the NCAAs.

We instead rolled the dice that both Spencer and Mulcahy as a senior, would be savvy enough to be a combo of the driving guard who generated a historical 4 to 5 game run, that bailed RU out last year......with enough play to help RHJ and Geo.

On paper, if I wanted Kyle Lofton for just one year or Spencer for 2, give me a 2 year transfer kid all day. It just required Paul to step up.....he was either not aware of what it took to go from 5th option to 2nd or 3rd.

I don't think a recap is too necessary. No one can explain such a steep decline in effectiveness from a 3 to 4 year starting guard. But it then spread to others....once one player starts to hesitate, the others get gunshy....

It's going to be OK, because the staff now has no more excuses to try and make RU fans believe that the next complimentary player can be asked to become a front line 2nd or 3rd option. The overhaul of this roster might not all get done in one spring/summer, but it wouldn't shock me to see it.

Can you dance at 18-13 with such an ineffective PG and a won/ loss record that probably should be 19-12 or 20-11 & look like the world has figured this limited talent group out??

A lot of blame placed at the feet of Geo and RHJ the last 2 seasons, suddenly looks kinda foolish now. The longest week ever upcoming, is not for the faint of heart for sure.
SMOKE signals? Nice.

Pretty tame recap. The staff isn't going to throw players under the bus, it's not in Pikes nature to do so publicly.

The offense for any team in college basketball, starts and ends with your guard play. If you have a big man on top of it, great.....but the basketball game starts and ends with generating offense from your lead guards, ideally, those with game experience at a Power 5 level.

The smoke signals were there last spring, based on what they targeted.....Kyle Lofton from St Bona was a combo guard, who may have helped......Marcus Hammond went to Notre Dame instead, landing in purgatory of a miserable South Bend winter. Lofton and Florida.....?? Also nowhere near the NCAAs.

We instead rolled the dice that both Spencer and Mulcahy as a senior, would be savvy enough to be a combo of the driving guard who generated a historical 4 to 5 game run, that bailed RU out last year......with enough play to help RHJ and Geo.

On paper, if I wanted Kyle Lofton for just one year or Spencer for 2, give me a 2 year transfer kid all day. It just required Paul to step up.....he was either not aware of what it took to go from 5th option to 2nd or 3rd.

I don't think a recap is too necessary. No one can explain such a steep decline in effectiveness from a 3 to 4 year starting guard. But it then spread to others....once one player starts to hesitate, the others get gunshy....

It's going to be OK, because the staff now has no more excuses to try and make RU fans believe that the next complimentary player can be asked to become a front line 2nd or 3rd option. The overhaul of this roster might not all get done in one spring/summer, but it wouldn't shock me to see it.

Can you dance at 18-13 with such an ineffective PG and a won/ loss record that probably should be 19-12 or 20-11 & look like the world has figured this limited talent group out??

A lot of blame placed at the feet of Geo and RHJ the last 2 seasons, suddenly looks kinda foolish now. The longest week ever upcoming, is not for the faint of heart for sure.
Disagree with the two year transfer over one year transfer preference. You can just get another one year transfer the next season.

My thoughts:
Before the season began, most probably thought this was a transition year with an NCAA berth unlikely due to the fact that Geo and Ron had graduated and took with them a lot of the offense and leadership. And then as the season progressed we were surprised at how good the team played and the defense looked even better than any of Pike's past teams. We not only looked good but dare I say dominant in our wins. But then we lose Mag and everything changed. For the worse. The defense suffered . Our half court offense was awful. Our bench has been exposed. Rotations were awful. Last night as soon as Pike did his initial substitutions Northwestern went on a 9-0 run and physically beat us from that point on.....It's easy to question how one player ( Mag) getting hurt could have such an impact but it has. We miss his aggressive and energetic play on defense. He keyed our press and transition offense. But we also miss greatly his rebounding and play around the basket. No one replaced Mag's rebounding. No one. Hyatt doesn't rebound and Reiber and Palmquist can't. Mulcahy has been getting a lot of criticism here. Yes his play recently has been bad --but he's been dealt a bad hand by Pike. He is not a point guard--he lacks quickness, the ability to create offense for others, and his outside shot is not great. He'd be better as a point forward with Simpson the starting PG. If Rutgers is to win on Thursday, they need to shake things up and move Hyatt to the bench. One note : Cliff's offensive shortcomings have been exposed. Move him far enough from the basket and he's a liability--wild forced shots or turnovers. He needs to return next year and improve his ball handling around the hoop, his passing and shot from 10-12 feet away. Most disappointing thing from last night--the look of defeat on their faces.

It’s clear that pike needs to slightly adjust his “my guys are my guys” mindset. It’s great from a culture perspective, but it makes us susceptible to the boat sinking with 1 injury.

I’m excited for the upcoming months. I think Spencer, cliff, mag, and Griffiths is a great nucleus. I love Simpson off the bench. Can pike snag a true starting point guard? Can he find a net positive 7th man? The roster will be open….

Reactions: biker7766
It’s clear that pike needs to slightly adjust his “my guys are my guys” mindset. It’s great from a culture perspective, but it makes us susceptible to the boat sinking with 1 injury.

I’m excited for the upcoming months. I think Spencer, cliff, mag, and Griffiths is a great nucleus. I love Simpson off the bench. Can pike snag a true starting point guard? Can he find a net positive 7th man? The roster will be open….
Agreed - a starting point guard and a mature shooting wing? A couple of one-year guys would be nice (I expect 5-6 guys won't be back).

I actually thought they might win this evening. NW was struggling as well coming into this game but they just wanted it more. They certainly did not play great and that made the game even more difficult to watch. I don't even think our defense was that great. How many times did Cliff get burnt by helping out others leaving Nicholson for easy dunks?

I took this one much better than the Minnesota since like others, I had accepted that we are just not good enough. At this point, we may be the worst performing team other than Minnesota.

Will be interesting off season. I expect Pike will publicly cover for his guys and play up the injuries. How he really feels will be determined by who is back and who is not. Just remember Gavin will be a freshman next year, let's not think he will cure all our offensive woes.

One of the biggest indicators of our offensive weakness is that Pike feels we need to keep feeding Cliff in the post. This is SO ineffective too often leading to a bad (embarrassing?) shot attempt or a turnover out of the double.
Well it's not like anyone can penetrate so the other option is to pass the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds before settling for a long jumper.

The euphoria of great wins made all of us giddy and some of us prematurely confident. Truthfully, we did play great and you can't deny we beat good teams. Unfortunately , let's face it the team had to bust its ass to win and there was a thin line to success or failure. So many obstacles confronted this team-- OSU screw, Mag loss, other injuries, etc---I think and feared we were exhausted from it all and wouldn't get off the canvas . Unfortunately we didn't without an offensive player to lift us up. Hey maybe we'll be shocked later this week.

Reactions: biker7766
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT