ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 5 Rider: Bouncing Bac

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
There was good reason to be worried after the unsettling first half vs Temple in the first game without Paul Mulcahy. The team was all out of sorts and just were not ready for that type of situation where you had a freshmen running the point and a scoring onus put on a couple of guys who have yet to prove it. Its understandable. Like I said in the recap for that game, that first half and ultimately losing is going to be a good thing for Pikiell and the team in the long run. The second half of that game showed some real good signs. So everyone here had some level of concern with Rider coming into the building. A team expected to finish near the top of the MAAC standings and only lost to Providence by one plus they could shoot the 3 which gave RU problems at times vs Temple. Suddenly Rutgers looked vulnerable again at home as thoughts of last years struggles still stick with us. Coach Pikiell and his Knights proved us wrong. There would be no struggle at all. In fact it was an impressive display of preparedness and hunger that is an intangible that the more talented team of last season seemingly lacked.

One of my earlier thread recaps was zestful exuberance and I just cannot get off this train of thought. RU is very eager to do better. Its an incredible trait to have. First last nights win starts and end with Coach Pikiell and his staff. You know that they feared what was going to happen vs Temple away from the friendly confines of the RAC in a sterile environment. Even with his coaching acumen and experience there was little that could be done to expect a team to be able to function properly without its floor general. Team can only learn by getting out there and making the mistakes and failing. With a weekend to prepare, Coach Pikiell had RU in the right mindset learning from their mistakes. The one biggest thing I saw was immediately that sense of hunger and want was there from the opening tip. This was Rutgers house and RU was going RU got back to what they do best which is play tough defense so even when the shots don't fall which happened in a stretch vs Rider, its the defense setting the tone and that eventually led to many transition opportunities where the Knights simply put the game away. Have to say really impressed with RU's trapping and on the ball defense. Yes its Rider not Illinois but these guys are playing hard for 40 minutes. I did not see any let up in sight right on to the end of the game. There is an eagerness to succeed and work hard and its importance cannot be understated.

Learning from mistakes. Derek Simpson was going to be a key part of how this game went because he was not ready to take a lead role vs Temple and its unfair to even expect success in that difficult spot. Derek even with 4 turnovers was much more comfortable and in control. I said in the game thread I didnt want him to shoot after he ran the court and took a bad quick 3 point pullup like he was all star Geo Baker. I think the score was 47-32 at the time so RU had yet to break this open. I noticed after that Derek didnt take another shot until a three pointer made at 2:46. Derek played 28 minutes but Miller cut into his minutes and that was a good thing. Derek does not need to burden of having to be a big scorer for RU. I thought him taking 10-11 shots is too much. Need to get him in the habit of picking and choosing his spots. He had 4 assists but none was more impressive than the sizzling pass to Cliff for a would be dunk where Cliff was fouled. Shows you all the potential there with this kid. 8 points on 2-6 shooting, 3-4 ft, 4 assists, 4 tos, 2 blocks. Those are the kind of numbers (besides tos) you like to see. In some ways Pike had a little too much confidence in him early, but you have to risk failure to gain reward. Derek will be a good one.

I was impressed with Jalen Miller tonight. A whopping 24 minutes, did I actually see a lineup of one time with Jalen, Cam and Derek? Again offense is a struggle for him but defense isnt. He brings some experience that Derek does not have and in the right situations is a decent option off the bench.

Woolfolk is quite the relevation. Glimpses in some early games, last night was his most comfortable. Its funny because how many times does RU bring a bigger guy in but they look totally lost their first stretch of games on the court. Echoing what is being said by many posters, what is so cool is Woolfolk looks so comfortable on the court for his experience level. Yes he is the "hungry wolf" as Areyounuts labeled him. Are you kidding me...9 rebounds in just 19 minutes and 8 points 3-6 shooting, a block and a steal. He now looks like he can be a viable option and not just for minutes or fouls but to actually contribute cleaning up around the basket. He had a about a two minute stretch in the first half where he was everything during a stretch where RU gained seperation from Rider. Layup, 2 free throws, steal, missed one and one but then got his own rebound and put it in for a score. RU went from just up 14-10 to a 21-10 lead and never looked back. Thats a key moment in the game and has to be huge for this kids confidence and I am sure that coaching staff is absolutely delighted looking over the game film.

Cam Spencer was ineffective and neutralized most of the game vs Temple but the kid is a gamer and he came back ready to assert himself last night. Those two early 3s were huge and when they went down you just knew Cam was going to have a big night. The most impressive play of the game for Cam that personifies him was in the second half, Rider playing some really good on ball D, Cam struggling a bit dribbling, shot clock winding down. Cam still fighting through pulls back for the 2...swish it goes down. That was another key part of the game, Rider had some step in their game still at 47-33 and RU wasnt shaking them. That Cam bucket seemed to put a dagger in the Broncos hearts started an unbelievable 22-3 run and suddenly RU was up 69-36. Cam had 4 steals and really impressed he stepped his D up last night. 19 points on 7-12 shooting, 4-7 from 3s. Great bounce back game for him.

Cliff is Cliff. Incredible at time but also frustrating. He had a shaky first half shooting the ball. Overall 8-16 which should be better but should we really be complaining. By the 2nd half Cliff was a monster and he finished with 20 points and 12 boards and 3 blocks. Just another night at the office. These are great numbers and I think we take them for granted. The foul shooting is now suddenly foul at 4-11 and I think its all mental now. Obviously he feels more pressure with Paul and Caleb out and its only going to get harder with tougher competition coming from Miami and Indiana. But I am not worried about Cliff. He is the one constant on this team and we know exactly what he will bring vs top tier players.

Mag...loved his game tonight, it was his best of the season, 9 points, 8 boards in 22 minutes. Hit all 3 of his shots and only one turnover. Loved loved loved his defense especially in traps. Mag looked in synch rather than playing at some wild pace. This is the kind of game that sways me back to him starting over Hyatt when and if Caleb comes back. I really wasnt impressed with Hyatt tonight. Just 2-9 fg, 7 points, missed all his 3s and he was in foul trouble. I think I am being fair in his critique. I want to see more consistency from him and stepping up in a leadership and production role.

Reiber put in 16 points EDIT: minutes not points and if he has been hurting at least this helps his conditioning. It was an okay performance but nothing to change my opinion about his limited role on this team going forward. The air on Chol's 3 knocked that one pillar down holding up the RAC ceiling. I thought Aiden Terry was going to get clobbered on that breakaway layup attempt but thankfully no contact but good to see him get the points on goaltending.

Do not want to move the pendulum too far in the other direction. I wasnt impressed with Rider. They looked thin and were not physical and we know RU will be facing much better going forward (CCSU being the exception). Still this was needed kind of feel good bounce back for the program after the Temple miscue. RU needed to get through this game without picking up a bad loss and I saw those hunger signs from the team and coaching staff that alleviate a few fears. Some fears still remain. We desperately need at least one of Paul and Caleb back. I want both back but starting to officially get a little worried. As hungry and eager as this team is, its potential is extremely limited without them and there is a scary challenging gauntlet right around the corner

Last edited:
Great recap. In addition to the effective trapping, I also thought we played more zone and did a lot of all court pressure. Pike seems willing to throw out more defensive variation with this group.

Speeaking of Pike...one wrinkle no one expected coming in to the building last night. He opened the 1st 4-5 minutes in a match-uppy type of zone. No way Rider saw it coming and they never got in to an offensive rhtymn.
Loved that. Switching defenses was great, throw in some pressing too. The length of Rutgers gave the small Rider guards trouble, Rider shot poorly but they shot highly contested shots.

It drives me crazy that so many coaches play ONE defense, all game every game. That's like leaving money on the table. One of the biggest impacts coaches can have on a game is switching defenses. Loved the way Rutgers was switching from zone to M2M early and then the full-court press mixed in. That's exciting to watch.

Basketball is a game of runs and this team can put on some great defensive runs, holding the other team to some long scoreless droughts.

Often times I like to view the outcome of a game with normalized 3 point shooting and foul shooting. That would not be fair to us in this game because I don't recall many/any quality 3 point looks. Our perimeter defense was as good as any game I can recall. Yes it was Rider...yes they aren't that long, but still.

A lot of the positives were obvious....

NEGATIVES (from me as I left the building)
1. Too many OREB 18 is way too much, and to Rider!
2. Foul shooting. If over the 24 real games on the schedule 12 could be 2 possession games. We will lose games because of foul shooting if we shoot it like that. Obviously Cliff is the target here.
3. Simpson was great defensively. He is really struggling offensively. Pike needs to get him off the ball and get him to defer to others. Even when paul or Caleb is healthy we are going to need minutes (10-20) from someone.

Great recap, as always, BAC!

Is it me or are we seeing less ball movement without Paul? I should think ball movement is ball movement regardless of who's running the point. It isn't atrocious but not as good as it was before Temple...

I do like feeding Cliff against inferior opponents and I really liked seeing Cliff and Woolf on the floor at the same time.

I think Cam's defense has been a revelation for many people, too. I know it has been for me; I honestly had no opinion either way but after watching him and listening talk about his video prep, you have to love his desire and intensity to be great. It definitely shows.

I think Simpson will be fine and being thrust into the starting role will pay dividends later when Paul sits (when he comes back) such that we may not see as much of a drop off when things get real in B1G play.

Finally, I feel for Chol right now but he needs a lot of time to develop and I don't expect we will see him come B1G play, not even during garbage time (which is rare in B1G games...)

Even though the shots are not going down, I've been impressed with Miller's offensive development. He at least seems ready to contribute offensively. Last year it felt like 4 v 5 offensively with him on the floor.

Woolfolk is a Pikiell special. How was this guy not a top 200 recruit? He just gets it. Calm, comfortable, and confident. I'm genuinely stunned that he is on the verge of pushing Reiber out of the rotation.

I think some here have been overly harsh on Mag/Hyatt. As long as one of them is putting up Mag like numbers from last night, the team should be fine. They will always be the 5th option behind Cliff, Cam, Paul, and Caleb (and that's fine).

Great recap, as always, BAC!

Is it me or are we seeing less ball movement without Paul? I should think ball movement is ball movement regardless of who's running the point. It isn't atrocious but not as good as it was before Temple...

I do like feeding Cliff against inferior opponents and I really liked seeing Cliff and Woolf on the floor at the same time.

I think Cam's defense has been a revelation for many people, too. I know it has been for me; I honestly had no opinion either way but after watching him and listening talk about his video prep, you have to love his desire and intensity to be great. It definitely shows.

I think Simpson will be fine and being thrust into the starting role will pay dividends later when Paul sits (when he comes back) such that we may not see as much of a drop off when things get real in B1G play.

Finally, I feel for Chol right now but he needs a lot of time to develop and I don't expect we will see him come B1G play, not even during garbage time (which is rare in B1G games...)
I hope a redshirt for Chol is in the cards. A year of development could really help him.

Even though the shots are not going down, I've been impressed with Miller's offensive development. He at least seems ready to contribute offensively. Last year it felt like 4 v 5 offensively with him on the floor.

Woolfolk is a Pikiell special. How was this guy not a top 200 recruit? He just gets it. Calm, comfortable, and confident. I'm genuinely stunned that he is on the verge of pushing Reiber out of the rotation.

I think some here have been overly harsh on Mag/Hyatt. As long as one of them is putting up Mag like numbers from last night, the team should be fine. They will always be the 5th option behind Cliff, Cam, Paul, and Caleb (and that's fine).
Agreed on these additional observations. On the last point, I think Mag and Hyatt battling for minutes will help them both become valuable contributors by end of year.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The vibe of this team is excellent right now. They're learning, but not panicking when things don't go well.

I am more confident that this team improves faster than most, because it's constantly working hard to improve and the roster is smarter and studies more.

Someone asked why does Cam Spencer have so many steals or deflections?? Because when you study tendencies, you can make up for it by anticipation based on knowing what a team wants to do. What I find fascinating to see are teams appear to be purposely driving on Spencer off the dribble, because he's not the fastest/quickest guy. But with that said, he's usually in position on most plays, even if the opponent scores.

If Caleb comes back and rounds into form and we can defend without fouling, this team has a lot of upside.

Great recap. I love the zone as may keep Cliff out of foul trouble or even give him a live rest. Some of dunks were so quick.

Spencer had a great game on D and was pretty darn good bringing ball up court. Stat line scoring was still very good. 7 for 12!!! A great “quiet game”.

Foul shooting was my big negative. Not just Cliff. We have to do better.

Loved that Miller, Woolfok and Simpson got valuable minutes. Like Mag contributing.

Weird we won by 30 but no real fastbreaks. Thought Hyatt had a down game but coast to coast fast break layup was one of only a few but was a thing of beauty.

I want to see Reiber get untracked.

Little bit too much with all the banners.

RU Men’s Final Four deserves way more prominent banner.

RU should find a way to honor Tom Young visually. Just as important as CVS and Theresa.

Last edited:
The matchup zone to start was excellent from Pike. I love how we are starting to press more and more. The press will only get better with Caleb back too.

Mag does a really unbelievable job at trapping in the press. He's so long and active and doesn't reach and foul. Spencer has lightning quick hands and reads the game so well. Woolfolk moves at a different level then other big mennwe have had in the smoothness and footwork department.

It'll be interesting to see if we press much against the B1G and how effective it will be. Pressing can get you burnt for easy buckets and put pressure on Cliff to protect the rim without fouling if they break it

Woolfolk's coming out party after looking good all season. He is demanding more minutes at the expense of Dean who looks uncomfortable at the 4 and he's not the physical presence that Wolf is at the 5.

Spencer scoring and steals every game. He is going to be one of our more reliable consistent performers and really doesn't force much. Let's the game come to him

Mag played great. His defense and energy will keep him as a starter at the 4 IMO. He just needs to defend rebound and score dirty buckets around the rim and mid range. Shame his toe was on the line to rob him of his first 3

Hyatt struggled. It happens. His shot ALWAYS looks too flat when he isn't shooting well

Great recap. I love the zone as may keep Cliff out of foul trouble or even give him a live rest. Some of dunks were so quick.

Spencer did not disappear, nor was he neutralized or ineffective. That’s a really bad take. Sorry BAC! Although he did have a bit of a scoring drought mid game, he had a great game on D and was pretty darn good bringing ball up court. Stat line scoring was still very good. 7 for 12!!! A great “quiet game”.

Foul shooting was my big negative. Not just Cliff. We have to do better.

Loved that Miller, Woolfok and Simpson got valuable minutes. Like Mag contributing.

Weird we won by 30 but no real fastbreaks. Thought Hyatt had a down game but coast to coast fast break layup was one of only a few but was a thing of beauty.

I want to see Reiber get untracked.

Little bit too much with all the banners.

RU Men’s Final Four deserves way more prominent banner.

RU should find a way to honor Tom Young visually. Just as important as CVS and Theresa.
he said VS Temple not last night

Reactions: G- RUnit
The matchup zone to start was excellent from Pike. I love how we are starting to press more and more. The press will only get better with Caleb back too.

Mag does a really unbelievable job at trapping in the press. He's so long and active and doesn't reach and foul. Spencer has lightning quick hands and reads the game so well. Woolfolk moves at a different level then other big mennwe have had in the smoothness and footwork department.

It'll be interesting to see if we press much against the B1G and how effective it will be. Pressing can get you burnt for easy buckets and put pressure on Cliff to protect the rim without fouling if they break it

Woolfolk's coming out party after looking good all season. He is demanding more minutes at the expense of Dean who looks uncomfortable at the 4 and he's not the physical presence that Wolf is at the 5.

Spencer scoring and steals every game. He is going to be one of our more reliable consistent performers and really doesn't force much. Let's the game come to him

Mag played great. His defense and energy will keep him as a starter at the 4 IMO. He just needs to defend rebound and score dirty buckets around the rim and mid range. Shame his toe was on the line to rob him of his first 3

Hyatt struggled. It happens. His shot ALWAYS looks too flat when he isn't shooting well
I think this is a team that can be very dangerous defensively - and I see the press working very well against other B1G teams - especially when Caleb comes back.

Woolfolk is a man child out there as a Freshman - liking what he brings to the table.

The one place I'm a little concerned is with Cam, and whether his game translates to big time college basketball. I REALLY like his game on both sides of the ball, but my concerns with him were realized when he went up against more athletic guards vs Temple and he was pretty much neutralized. The big question with him (and quite frankly a lot of how well we can do) is whether he can step up his game against the more athletic teams that he will start seeing night in and night out.

I think this is a team that can be very dangerous defensively - and I see the press working very well against other B1G teams - especially when Caleb comes back.

Woolfolk is a man child out there as a Freshman - liking what he brings to the table.

The one place I'm a little concerned is with Cam, and whether his game translates to big time college basketball. I REALLY like his game on both sides of the ball, but my concerns with him were realized when he went up against more athletic guards vs Temple and he was pretty much neutralized. The big question with him (and quite frankly a lot of how well we can do) is whether he can step up his game against the more athletic teams that he will start seeing night in and night out.
The problem with Temple was that we had no Paul and Caleb. No ball movement. Simpson was struggling to run the point so Cam was forced to play on the ball instead of moving off the ball and spacing the court

He's crafty and can find ways to get his shots off, but he also doesn't force things and he doesn't do it with speed. Cam will get some open 3's but I doubt we see teams want to double off him. Cam feeding Cliff in the post worked nicely and Cliff hit him with a couple passes for 3's then his man stopped helping leaving Cliff 1 on 1

Good recap. On Miller - I’m encouraged because he’s clearly developed on both ends year over year. He’s only a sophomore. It’s not looking like a Palmquist situation anymore. He’s going play a role.

Mag had a good game but outside of one shot, his offense still seems confined to being more athletic than everyone else - beating teams in transition or muscling in a put back. Can he do that consistently against better competition is the question.

Good recap BAC.
With a small sample size , 5 games , it appears clear that we will not be a three point scoring machine and likely will score more from 2 than 3. Although Cam will get the bulk and Aundre and Derek and Dean and even Cliff will hit some , along with Paul and Caleb , we will score the ball from 2 point range and the foul line . Normally that doesn’t work in this analytic age , but I think it will for this team.

We are already #9 in Kenpom defense efficiency and in 4 of the 5 games we have held the teams to less than 25% shooting from 3 , with most getting only 2 . Now the 1 game it did not happen was Temple ( which some might argue will be closer to our Big 10 competition ) where they hit 5 in the first 10 minutes.
I would argue that that first half lacked any energy , any defensive intensity or effort as I think they only had 2 the rest of the way. Our prior 3 NCAA level teams have always let the low level teams hit 7-9 threes to keep them in games. That is not happening this year and I think it will carry over to the Big 10. Our length , quick close outs , intensity and team defense and rotations are better than ever and we will be an elite team defensively. That will counter our lack of made threes. That is my biggest takeaway after last night’s game. Rider supposedly a 3 point shooting team ( against Providence they hit 7) not only were not successful last night but could not have the space to launch them because our overall quick defense. If we come to play defense every night , we stand an excellent chance to win regardless of the competition

There was good reason to be worried after the unsettling first half vs Temple in the first game without Paul Mulcahy. The team was all out of sorts and just were not ready for that type of situation where you had a freshmen running the point and a scoring onus put on a couple of guys who have yet to prove it. Its understandable. Like I said in the recap for that game, that first half and ultimately losing is going to be a good thing for Pikiell and the team in the long run. The second half of that game showed some real good signs. So everyone here had some level of concern with Rider coming into the building. A team expected to finish near the top of the MAAC standings and only lost to Providence by one plus they could shoot the 3 which gave RU problems at times vs Temple. Suddenly Rutgers looked vulnerable again at home as thoughts of last years struggles still stick with us. Coach Pikiell and his Knights proved us wrong. There would be no struggle at all. In fact it was an impressive display of preparedness and hunger that is an intangible that the more talented team of last season seemingly lacked.

One of my earlier thread recaps was zestful exuberance and I just cannot get off this train of thought. RU is very eager to do better. Its an incredible trait to have. First last nights win starts and end with Coach Pikiell and his staff. You know that they feared what was going to happen vs Temple away from the friendly confines of the RAC in a sterile environment. Even with his coaching acumen and experience there was little that could be done to expect a team to be able to function properly without its floor general. Team can only learn by getting out there and making the mistakes and failing. With a weekend to prepare, Coach Pikiell had RU in the right mindset learning from their mistakes. The one biggest thing I saw was immediately that sense of hunger and want was there from the opening tip. This was Rutgers house and RU was going RU got back to what they do best which is play tough defense so even when the shots don't fall which happened in a stretch vs Rider, its the defense setting the tone and that eventually led to many transition opportunities where the Knights simply put the game away. Have to say really impressed with RU's trapping and on the ball defense. Yes its Rider not Illinois but these guys are playing hard for 40 minutes. I did not see any let up in sight right on to the end of the game. There is an eagerness to succeed and work hard and its importance cannot be understated.

Learning from mistakes. Derek Simpson was going to be a key part of how this game went because he was not ready to take a lead role vs Temple and its unfair to even expect success in that difficult spot. Derek even with 4 turnovers was much more comfortable and in control. I said in the game thread I didnt want him to shoot after he ran the court and took a bad quick 3 point pullup like he was all star Geo Baker. I think the score was 47-32 at the time so RU had yet to break this open. I noticed after that Derek didnt take another shot until a three pointer made at 2:46. Derek played 28 minutes but Miller cut into his minutes and that was a good thing. Derek does not need to burden of having to be a big scorer for RU. I thought him taking 10-11 shots is too much. Need to get him in the habit of picking and choosing his spots. He had 4 assists but none was more impressive than the sizzling pass to Cliff for a would be dunk where Cliff was fouled. Shows you all the potential there with this kid. 8 points on 2-6 shooting, 3-4 ft, 4 assists, 4 tos, 2 blocks. Those are the kind of numbers (besides tos) you like to see. In some ways Pike had a little too much confidence in him early, but you have to risk failure to gain reward. Derek will be a good one.

I was impressed with Jalen Miller tonight. A whopping 24 minutes, did I actually see a lineup of one time with Jalen, Cam and Derek? Again offense is a struggle for him but defense isnt. He brings some experience that Derek does not have and in the right situations is a decent option off the bench.

Woolfolk is quite the relevation. Glimpses in some early games, last night was his most comfortable. Its funny because how many times does RU bring a bigger guy in but they look totally lost their first stretch of games on the court. Echoing what is being said by many posters, what is so cool is Woolfolk looks so comfortable on the court for his experience level. Yes he is the "hungry wolf" as Areyounuts labeled him. Are you kidding me...9 rebounds in just 19 minutes and 8 points 3-6 shooting, a block and a steal. He now looks like he can be a viable option and not just for minutes or fouls but to actually contribute cleaning up around the basket. He had a about a two minute stretch in the first half where he was everything during a stretch where RU gained seperation from Rider. Layup, 2 free throws, steal, missed one and one but then got his own rebound and put it in for a score. RU went from just up 14-10 to a 21-10 lead and never looked back. Thats a key moment in the game and has to be huge for this kids confidence and I am sure that coaching staff is absolutely delighted looking over the game film.

Cam Spencer was ineffective and neutralized most of the game vs Temple but the kid is a gamer and he came back ready to assert himself last night. Those two early 3s were huge and when they went down you just knew Cam was going to have a big night. The most impressive play of the game for Cam that personifies him was in the second half, Rider playing some really good on ball D, Cam struggling a bit dribbling, shot clock winding down. Cam still fighting through pulls back for the 2...swish it goes down. That was another key part of the game, Rider had some step in their game still at 47-33 and RU wasnt shaking them. That Cam bucket seemed to put a dagger in the Broncos hearts started an unbelievable 22-3 run and suddenly RU was up 69-36. Cam had 4 steals and really impressed he stepped his D up last night. 19 points on 7-12 shooting, 4-7 from 3s. Great bounce back game for him.

Cliff is Cliff. Incredible at time but also frustrating. He had a shaky first half shooting the ball. Overall 8-16 which should be better but should we really be complaining. By the 2nd half Cliff was a monster and he finished with 20 points and 12 boards and 3 blocks. Just another night at the office. These are great numbers and I think we take them for granted. The foul shooting is now suddenly foul at 4-11 and I think its all mental now. Obviously he feels more pressure with Paul and Caleb out and its only going to get harder with tougher competition coming from Miami and Indiana. But I am not worried about Cliff. He is the one constant on this team and we know exactly what he will bring vs top tier players.

Mag...loved his game tonight, it was his best of the season, 9 points, 8 boards in 22 minutes. Hit all 3 of his shots and only one turnover. Loved loved loved his defense especially in traps. Mag looked in synch rather than playing at some wild pace. This is the kind of game that sways me back to him starting over Hyatt when and if Caleb comes back. I really wasnt impressed with Hyatt tonight. Just 2-9 fg, 7 points, missed all his 3s and he was in foul trouble. I think I am being fair in his critique. I want to see more consistency from him and stepping up in a leadership and production role.

Reiber put in 16 points EDIT: minutes not points and if he has been hurting at least this helps his conditioning. It was an okay performance but nothing to change my opinion about his limited role on this team going forward. The air on Chol's 3 knocked that one pillar down holding up the RAC ceiling. I thought Aiden Terry was going to get clobbered on that breakaway layup attempt but thankfully no contact but good to see him get the points on goaltending.

Do not want to move the pendulum too far in the other direction. I wasnt impressed with Rider. They looked thin and were not physical and we know RU will be facing much better going forward (CCSU being the exception). Still this was needed kind of feel good bounce back for the program after the Temple miscue. RU needed to get through this game without picking up a bad loss and I saw those hunger signs from the team and coaching staff that alleviate a few fears. Some fears still remain. We desperately need at least one of Paul and Caleb back. I want both back but starting to officially get a little worried. As hungry and eager as this team is, its potential is extremely limited without them and there is a scary challenging gauntlet right around the corner
I was never worried about this game. This was a tune up game. I told my son we were going to win by 25. People need to stop making excuses for the Temple game. They are a bad team that we shouldve beat without the 2 players. Temple lost to Richmond last night by 12. Our Temple loss is a bad loss, its that simple.

One thing we have done so far. Looked great defensively against poor teams.

It might translate to B1G, but it might not.

Looking great defensively against poor teams sure beats the alternative.

Geo said it best on the post game where he referred to mistakes that end up being baskets against B1G teams.

Temple exposed some of the weaknesses we have defensively. Having said that we are different team defensively with 4,22,10,3,11

A lot of the positives were obvious....

NEGATIVES (from me as I left the building)
1. Too many OREB 18 is way too much, and to Rider!
2. Foul shooting. If over the 24 real games on the schedule 12 could be 2 possession games. We will lose games because of foul shooting if we shoot it like that. Obviously Cliff is the target here.
3. Simpson was great defensively. He is really struggling offensively. Pike needs to get him off the ball and get him to defer to others. Even when paul or Caleb is healthy we are going to need minutes (10-20) from someone.
Hyatt's 3 pt shooting has been bad for 2 games now. If we are going to beat good teams we are going to need him to shoot well.

Good recap BAC.
With a small sample size , 5 games , it appears clear that we will not be a three point scoring machine and likely will score more from 2 than 3. Although Cam will get the bulk and Aundre and Derek and Dean and even Cliff will hit some , along with Paul and Caleb , we will score the ball from 2 point range and the foul line . Normally that doesn’t work in this analytic age , but I think it will for this team.

We are already #9 in Kenpom defense efficiency and in 4 of the 5 games we have held the teams to less than 25% shooting from 3 , with most getting only 2 . Now the 1 game it did not happen was Temple ( which some might argue will be closer to our Big 10 competition ) where they hit 5 in the first 10 minutes.
I would argue that that first half lacked any energy , any defensive intensity or effort as I think they only had 2 the rest of the way. Our prior 3 NCAA level teams have always let the low level teams hit 7-9 threes to keep them in games. That is not happening this year and I think it will carry over to the Big 10. Our length , quick close outs , intensity and team defense and rotations are better than ever and we will be an elite team defensively. That will counter our lack of made threes. That is my biggest takeaway after last night’s game. Rider supposedly a 3 point shooting team ( against Providence they hit 7) not only were not successful last night but could not have the space to launch them because our overall quick defense. If we come to play defense every night , we stand an excellent chance to win regardless of the competition
Following up on the last point , Temple hit 9 threes and 7 of them in the first half in the first 16 minutes. They only hit 2 in the second half , one with 6:30 left and one with 1:37 left which was caused because we ratchet up the defense. If that second half defense shows up and the defense in the other 4 games shows up , we will be in good shape. Might even get GFI to smile. 😀
I was never worried about this game. This was a tune up game. I told my son we were going to win by 25. People need to stop making excuses for the Temple game. They are a bad team that we shouldve beat without the 2 players. Temple lost to Richmond last night by 12. Our Temple loss is a bad loss, its that simple.
Totally disagree. Temple beat Villanova before us . They were up by 13 on St John’s and had a late lead with a minute to play before losing and St John’s , who is not great , is still undefeated , and beat Syracuse in OT yesterday. Richmond looked real decent against the Syracuse zone and lost in OT when they should have won it in regulation.
You make these proclamations but not sure you watch any of these other teams.

For me, this game was about Woolfolk making his skill set and talent clear to anyone watching, and Mag starting to turn the corner as some us predict. The team chemistry after a loss and injuries seems outstanding. Looking forward to the next one.

I think a big part of giving up offensive rebounds is when someone drives in 3 guys elevate to try and block the shot so there's no one left in position to rebound. Need to pick your spots and not leave your feet to try and block everything.

Agree with those that pointed out Miller's productive minutes. Feels like that's the most he's ever played. He's not going to be a great offensive player but thought he played more under control and wasn't overly aggressive on defense. Also looked like he has bulked up a lot from last year and is much more physical.

Love Woolfolk. He's been a revelation. Looks like he been playing at this level with these guys for years. Great get by Pikiell.

Part of the problem is when someone drives in 3 guys elevate to try and block the shot so there's no one left to rebound. Need to pick your spots and not leave your feet to try and block everything.
Yup this needs to be hugely emphasized in film review. I understand not wanting to undercut the aggressiveness but they need to play a little smarter to be a truly elite defensive unit.

Following up on the last point , Temple hit 9 threes and 7 of them in the first half in the first 16 minutes. They only hit 2 in the second half , one with 6:30 left and one with 1:37 left which was caused because we ratchet up the defense. If that second half defense shows up and the defense in the other 4 games shows up , we will be in good shape. Might even get GFI to smile. 😀

Totally disagree. Temple beat Villanova before us . They were up by 13 on St John’s and had a late lead with a minute to play before losing and St John’s , who is not great , is still undefeated , and beat Syracuse in OT yesterday. Richmond looked real decent against the Syracuse zone and lost in OT when they should have won it in regulation.
You make these proclamations but not sure you watch any of these other teams.
We shot 1-16 from 3 and that 1 was with a minute and a half left in the game. If we shoot 4 or 5 for 16 from 3 we win the game. Again, your making excuses for a team that didnt play well and lost the game. If they had an avg night shooting the ball instead of the abysmal night they had they win the game.

We shot 1-16 from 3 and that 1 was with a minute and a half left in the game. If we shoot 4 or 5 for 16 from 3 we win the game. Again, your making excuses for a team that didnt play well and lost the game. If they had an avg night shooting the ball instead of the abysmal night they had they win the game.
No one was arguing that. Yeah , we made only 1 three with 10 seconds left to cut it to 4. Sure more 3’s made would have been nice but the missed foul shots by everyone in the second half midway thru and with 5-7 minutes left would have gotten the game tied and the comeback complete with 4 minutes to go.
They lacked intensity , defensive pressure and focus , 10 plus turnovers in line 15 trips, in having their worst first half of the year against Temple. Hope it doesn’t happen again.

Good recap BAC.

Great analysis and the closeouts/length impacting Rider's 3 pt. shooting was evident last night. But, I think Rider was coming off long travel following weekend neutral site games, so fatigue may have been a factor. To our credit, we jumped on them and never let them get back in the game outside of the brain fart stretch bridging the close of the first half and beginning of the second.

Well-written recap bac, like the separate paragraphs for each player.

As with every Pike team, our players are so easy to root for. This team seems to have something special going on with regard to intensity and chemistry, which is most evident with our pressing and trapping on D.

I’ve been a Jalen Miller fan from the first time he stepped on the court. He sat out the first 6 games last year so he hasn’t yet played in a full season of games. He’s coming out of his shell offensively and I believe he’ll soon contribute on that end. His defense speaks for itself.

Derek is getting ready for prime time, he just needs more seasoning and refinement of his decision-making. He’ll be a great contributor this year.

Woolfolk is the pleasant surprise I expected, but I did not expect it this early in his college career. He’s got all the tools and the confidence to play a major role right away.

Cam Spencer is quickly becoming my favorite player on the team. Despite his obvious strengths and outstanding contributions as both an individual and team player, I believe he gets unfairly looked upon as “too slow of foot” that some think will cause him to struggle against better competition. I see it the exact opposite. He’s a smooth athlete that plays at a different pace who will give opposing teams fits, with his savvy moves on offense and his quick hands and anticipation on D.

Very excited to see how this season unfolds, especially when Paul and Caleb come back.

Wow is this Hawk

A couple quick points on the Temple game. Once the game started, we had big problems bringing the ball up and initiating the offense without Paul. Cam was forced on play on the ball, which is not his game, and our ball movement was poor, Cam was not in a position the catch and shoot, and Mag, Simpson and Hyatt were all pressing and trying to do too much to make up for the two missing starters. I would not blow one game out of proportion, we were just not in sync and had trouble getting untracked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT