ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 7 MIAMI: Fears

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Bitter loss not because we blew a 11 point lead and totally fell apart down the stretch but bitter to me because it confirmed most of my fears I had about this team. For one RU is playing without Paul. He is the floor general and our offense runs through him and his court vision and toughness. I do not know if RU wins this game with Paul. Miami is still a good team (our best OOC opponent) that will likely be a NCAA team. What is bitter for me is the realization of what this team is without Paul. No one is going to feel sorry for RU that they are playing without Paul especially if it goes more games, you either adapt and survive or fall by the wayside. Unfortunately I think without Paul this team is simply not good enough. Big 10 play starts this weekend and we have major issues. Last year the issue turned out to be the uneven interest and play from senior players who we knew were capable and they showed it as the season wore on. This years bunch does not have two stars to fall back on and it really showed tonight.

In the Temple game, this team played some horrible basketball on both ends. While this game RU started out calm and in control, the second part of the second half was almost a repeat of the Temple game. RU had that one point lead but alot of sloppy play on offense missing chippies and relaying on perhaps some fools gold 3 point shooting from Hyatt. The defense was good at causing some steals but at other times was completely porous inside as Cliff was a non entity with just 1 rebound. Offensively Cliff just 2-3 as Miami was going to focus on denying the entry pass to him putting two guys on him while hounding Cam pretty close. Credit the old Geezer Larannaga. His game plan really worked. Try to control RUs top 2 scoring threats and you have a good shot at winning. Why is that? Well I have talked about Hyatt and Mag and Reiber and Miller and Simpson. We are in a situation where we are putting role players in spots where they simply cannot step up and be "the guy" who calms the teams and makes the shot. I am going to hit recruiting hard in this recap because this is why we are where we are right now not being able to overcome the Paul injury. Derek is not ready yet, not even close. Game just too fast for him. He can make a couple of great plays but he is really a 10 minute type guy as a frosh. Miller isnt the answer. Reiber is going to be a non factor in this league. Palm and Chol will never get off the bench. That does not leave much does it? Cam Spencer was brought in to replace Geo/Ron scoring and he did...against sisters of the poor, but in the two games vs Temple and today vs Miami, Cam was totally ineffective, neutralized, shy, whatever you want to call it. His blunder on that possession with the game tied with 1:45 is just inexcusable. Now its a small sample size but I really fear Cam not being able to play against the meat of the Big 10. What is going to happen vs any quick guard ( and someone actually tried telling me that there are no quick guards in the Big 10..rolls eyes). With Paul I think there can be something there with Cam but without him, he is slow, cannot create his own shot, and played timid against the Miami guards.

Back to Hyatt, for every good thing that Hyatt does there is still a bad thing and half that he does. Travels, turnovers, bad shot selection and of course the kicker, missing a point blank layup that could have tied the game at 63 with 51 seconds left late. He is what he is. I do not think its going to change. He provides some energy, plays pretty good defense and can rebound but asking him to pick up the slack for the loss for Ron...no good. And thats why the lack of recruiting factors in here. I can excuse Derek because his a frosh. Woofolk will have his moments but again he is a freshmen. We lost Geo and Ron and brought in an underrecruited point guard who needs another year and a transfer from the MAAC. Because of this we are severely limited. Yes it will get better once Paul comes back but I am not so sure we have enough anyway, certainly the team will have to be in prove it to me mode.

I said at half that Cliff needed to step up period and that he did for the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half grabbing boards and points...10 points in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half and 7 rebounds in the first 6 minutes or so and then inexplicably was yanked by Pike and that was the turning point. Cliff went from dominant in a zone to a disappearing act the last 10 minutes. Credit Larranaga for getting his team back focused on preventing the pass to Cliff. It worked. Cliff would make only one and take only 2 the rest of the way. INEXCUSABLE THAT CLIFF DID NOT TAKE ONE SHOT IN THE FINAL 9:13 IN THE GAME.....THAT IS ON PIKIELL. I AM SORRY. HE WAS OUTCOACHED BY THE 73 YEAR OLD WHO HAS OVER 700 VICTORIES. In fact, RU made only 2 of its final 14 fg attempts and just two fgs in the last 8 minutes. In that stretch RU was outscored 19-5 and in the last 16:46 this really wasnt a game....RU was outscored 33-15...thoroughly dominated at both ends. Despite that they still had a shot to pull out the victory but reality was you cannot play that poorly for almost the entire half and pull out the win. Caleb had 5 turnovers including a major blunder late but did hit a tying 3. I know he is trying to do too much at times, he had a tendency in other years to do stuff like that as well but Caleb couldnt gather to the team and calm them at the end and it was sad to watch the team just feebly go down by 7 by games end. There were several opportunities for RU to wrest control of this game and they blew each and every one of them. In the end, Miami perhaps buoyed by their elite 8 run last year were the ones to step up and take the game. They deserved it. They kept coming and then closed it out.

Can I say I HATE HATE HATE that creampuff schedule that featured only one real challenge. Great to blow these teams out and look like we have a polished offense but the two game vs Temple and Miami scream otherwise. Those little mistakes that RU can easily overcome like scoring droughts vs Columbia and letting a 11-2 CCSU run to open the 2nd half turn into much bigger problems in a game like tonight. Miami had a great coach, lots of options on offense, good shooters and a quickness and athleticism that makes RU look slow. Nothing screams my frustration about the schedule more than not even being able to come up with a recap for Central Connecticut State because why..because why are we even playing them after playing 4 other cupcakes. So thrown to the wolves now in two games against an okay but not ncaa bound Temple, RU really does not show moxy or polish and the hunger I talked about from earlier recaps is only there in a couple minute spurts. When they are bad they get really bad....and now Indiana comes in and yes they have been RU's bitch for a while now. But Indiana is better than they have been and there is no Ron or Geo to hit daggers like in previous years. The RAC is a big advantage and Indiana coming in ripe for a letdown after playing UNC gives us some hope. The fear is can we elevate our game and match Indiana for a full 40 minutes. We can do it in spurts but without Paul all our flaws are shining. If you have NCAA aspirations, a loss to Indiana puts enormous pressure for RU to take 2 of its next 3 of its tougher 5 game stretch. Saying look what happened last year is avoiding the elephant in the room. Until Paul comes back I will continue to have my fears. Things can unravel pretty quickly with the opponents to come and RU yet to show they can beat anyone with a pulse

I think I am starting to agree with you on the schedule. I don’t mind a softer OOC in general, but do we really need to be playing so many games against the worst of the worst?

Just a bad coaching job by Pikell and the same we have talked about ad nauseum is he seems to have no feel for substitution patterns as was evident tonight . Jaden Miller cannot see the floor period!!
Also how about we actually run off the ball screens to try and get someone like Spencer open

Just a bad coaching job by Pikell and the same we have talked about ad nauseum is he seems to have no feel for substitution patterns as was evident tonight . Jaden Miller cannot see the floor period!!
Also how about we actually run off the ball screens to try and get someone like Spencer open
Have any of you people who have been complaining about every coach’s substitution patterns for ~100 years considered that you just don’t understand how basketball substitutions are supposed to work?

I think I am starting to agree with you on the schedule. I don’t mind a softer OOC in general, but do we really need to be playing so many games against the worst of the worst?
Not sure how that helps. Hyatt and Mag have plenty of games against high major athletes, it's not like playing Richmond instead of Columbia would've suddenly made them able to make layups.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Not sure how that helps. Hyatt and Mag have plenty of games against high major athletes, it's not like playing Richmond instead of Columbia would've suddenly made them able to make layups.
Maybe it doesn’t. But even if you have plenty of games against high major athletes you don’t have many recently.

Mostly I just feel like playing Columbia and CCSU and other teams in the 300s is suboptimal. I would much prefer just slightly less sweet cupcakes so our 5-2 record would look less like 0-2

I am getting sick of losing OOC games that matter. It hurts our resume chances big time and IMO Cam might not be a starter by mid season. His lack of athleticism showed vs Temple and now Miami. But we are expecting him to guard Purdue, Michigan, Iowa? No way.

The offense has no flow and is missing something rn.

Reactions: RU Husky
Team is a guard and half a wing short. Pikiell tried hard to get Kyle Lofton, remember. And he was banking on improvement from the Mag, Hyatt, Reiber trio that hasn't really materialized.

Mag and Hyatt, in addition to the layup thing, commit a crazy number of turnovers for guys who are not really ballhandlers. Five tonight between them. Their ratio of turnovers to amount of time the ball is in their hands is unacceptable.

You know what the secret sauce is for Iowa and Michigan on offense? They don't turn it over. Their complementary pieces don't cost the team possessions.

some specifics.....

so a big factor in Miamis win tonight was limiting the touches that Cliff got......Cliff was 7-10, 2-3 first half then 5-7 with alot of shots to start the 2nd half and then Miami was all over him. Playing CCSU and Rider isnt preparing Cliff for the double team coming and Dean Reiber is not the answer as a defender in practice.

ditto for Cam against any guard who is legit.

Now again some of this is Paul but some of it isnt. We have a bunch of players...Hyatt, Mag who can be a hard watch offensively. 8-25 wow...we cant have them taking that many shots

Bitter loss not because we blew a 11 point lead and totally fell apart down the stretch but bitter to me because it confirmed most of my fears I had about this team. For one RU is playing without Paul. He is the floor general and our offense runs through him and his court vision and toughness. I do not know if RU wins this game with Paul. Miami is still a good team (our best OOC opponent) that will likely be a NCAA team. What is bitter for me is the realization of what this team is without Paul. No one is going to feel sorry for RU that they are playing without Paul especially if it goes more games, you either adapt and survive or fall by the wayside. Unfortunately I think without Paul this team is simply not good enough. Big 10 play starts this weekend and we have major issues. Last year the issue turned out to be the uneven interest and play from senior players who we knew were capable and they showed it as the season wore on. This years bunch does not have two stars to fall back on and it really showed tonight.

In the Temple game, this team played some horrible basketball on both ends. While this game RU started out calm and in control, the second part of the second half was almost a repeat of the Temple game. RU had that one point lead but alot of sloppy play on offense missing chippies and relaying on perhaps some fools gold 3 point shooting from Hyatt. The defense was good at causing some steals but at other times was completely porous inside as Cliff was a non entity with just 1 rebound. Offensively Cliff just 2-3 as Miami was going to focus on denying the entry pass to him putting two guys on him while hounding Cam pretty close. Credit the old Geezer Larannaga. His game plan really worked. Try to control RUs top 2 scoring threats and you have a good shot at winning. Why is that? Well I have talked about Hyatt and Mag and Reiber and Miller and Simpson. We are in a situation where we are putting role players in spots where they simply cannot step up and be "the guy" who calms the teams and makes the shot. I am going to hit recruiting hard in this recap because this is why we are where we are right now not being able to overcome the Paul injury. Derek is not ready yet, not even close. Game just too fast for him. He can make a couple of great plays but he is really a 10 minute type guy as a frosh. Miller isnt the answer. Reiber is going to be a non factor in this league. Palm and Chol will never get off the bench. That does not leave much does it? Cam Spencer was brought in to replace Geo/Ron scoring and he did...against sisters of the poor, but in the two games vs Temple and today vs Miami, Cam was totally ineffective, neutralized, shy, whatever you want to call it. His blunder on that possession with the game tied with 1:45 is just inexcusable. Now its a small sample size but I really fear Cam not being able to play against the meat of the Big 10. What is going to happen vs any quick guard ( and someone actually tried telling me that there are no quick guards in the Big 10..rolls eyes). With Paul I think there can be something there with Cam but without him, he is slow, cannot create his own shot, and played timid against the Miami guards.

Back to Hyatt, for every good thing that Hyatt does there is still a bad thing and half that he does. Travels, turnovers, bad shot selection and of course the kicker, missing a point blank layup that could have tied the game at 63 with 51 seconds left late. He is what he is. I do not think its going to change. He provides some energy, plays pretty good defense and can rebound but asking him to pick up the slack for the loss for Ron...no good. And thats why the lack of recruiting factors in here. I can excuse Derek because his a frosh. Woofolk will have his moments but again he is a freshmen. We lost Geo and Ron and brought in an underrecruited point guard who needs another year and a transfer from the MAAC. Because of this we are severely limited. Yes it will get better once Paul comes back but I am not so sure we have enough anyway, certainly the team will have to be in prove it to me mode.

I said at half that Cliff needed to step up period and that he did for the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half grabbing boards and points...10 points in the first 4 minutes of the 2nd half and 7 rebounds in the first 6 minutes or so and then inexplicably was yanked by Pike and that was the turning point. Cliff went from dominant in a zone to a disappearing act the last 10 minutes. Credit Larranaga for getting his team back focused on preventing the pass to Cliff. It worked. Cliff would make only one and take only 2 the rest of the way. INEXCUSABLE THAT CLIFF DID NOT TAKE ONE SHOT IN THE FINAL 9:13 IN THE GAME.....THAT IS ON PIKIELL. I AM SORRY. HE WAS OUTCOACHED BY THE 73 YEAR OLD WHO HAS OVER 700 VICTORIES. In fact, RU made only 2 of its final 14 fg attempts and just two fgs in the last 8 minutes. In that stretch RU was outscored 19-5 and in the last 16:46 this really wasnt a game....RU was outscored 33-15...thoroughly dominated at both ends. Despite that they still had a shot to pull out the victory but reality was you cannot play that poorly for almost the entire half and pull out the win. Caleb had 5 turnovers including a major blunder late but did hit a tying 3. I know he is trying to do too much at times, he had a tendency in other years to do stuff like that as well but Caleb couldnt gather to the team and calm them at the end and it was sad to watch the team just feebly go down by 7 by games end. There were several opportunities for RU to wrest control of this game and they blew each and every one of them. In the end, Miami perhaps buoyed by their elite 8 run last year were the ones to step up and take the game. They deserved it. They kept coming and then closed it out.

Can I say I HATE HATE HATE that creampuff schedule that featured only one real challenge. Great to blow these teams out and look like we have a polished offense but the two game vs Temple and Miami scream otherwise. Those little mistakes that RU can easily overcome like scoring droughts vs Columbia and letting a 11-2 CCSU run to open the 2nd half turn into much bigger problems in a game like tonight. Miami had a great coach, lots of options on offense, good shooters and a quickness and athleticism that makes RU look slow. Nothing screams my frustration about the schedule more than not even being able to come up with a recap for Central Connecticut State because why..because why are we even playing them after playing 4 other cupcakes. So thrown to the wolves now in two games against an okay but not ncaa bound Temple, RU really does not show moxy or polish and the hunger I talked about from earlier recaps is only there in a couple minute spurts. When they are bad they get really bad....and now Indiana comes in and yes they have been RU's bitch for a while now. But Indiana is better than they have been and there is no Ron or Geo to hit daggers like in previous years. The RAC is a big advantage and Indiana coming in ripe for a letdown after playing UNC gives us some hope. The fear is can we elevate our game and match Indiana for a full 40 minutes. We can do it in spurts but without Paul all our flaws are shining. If you have NCAA aspirations, a loss to Indiana puts enormous pressure for RU to take 2 of its next 3 of its tougher 5 game stretch. Saying look what happened last year is avoiding the elephant in the room. Until Paul comes back I will continue to have my fears. Things can unravel pretty quickly with the opponents to come and RU yet to show they can beat anyone with a pulse
Typical RU loss, blowing a big lead.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Team is a guard and half a wing short. Pikiell tried hard to get Kyle Lofton, remember. And he was banking on improvement from the Mag, Hyatt, Reiber trio that hasn't really materialized.

Mag and Hyatt, in addition to the layup thing, commit a crazy number of turnovers for guys who are not really ballhandlers. Five tonight between them. Their ratio of turnovers to amount of time the ball is in their hands is unacceptable.

You know what the secret sauce is for Iowa and Michigan on offense? They don't turn it over. Their complementary pieces don't cost the team possessions.

recruiting recruiting recruiting, Pike landed Derek which will eventually work out but he was never highly recruited and never going to be an immediate impact player....and there was no replacement for Ron..how can that be.....then posters told me we are really deep at 4...wtf what are they watching

Frustrating being there in person and seeing the lead slip. Shout out the good turnout we had and the pregame festivities. Game wise - we have to stop having Mag feed the post or touch the basketball period haha. I didn’t like playing Miller and Derek together, like Cam went cold second half, sub him out for Derek. I do think maybe with Paul we get a true ball handler that can set up the offense, but this team will struggle when they need a big shot down the stretch, they had two guys for that last year, this year they still havent figured that out and I don’t know if it’s feed Cliff to get that bucket. I’m not as down about the loss if they win their home games over this next four game stretch.

Frustrating being there in person and seeing the lead slip. Shout out the good turnout we had and the pregame festivities. Game wise - we have to stop having Mag feed the post or touch the basketball period haha. I didn’t like playing Miller and Derek together, like Cam went cold second half, sub him out for Derek. I do think maybe with Paul we get a true ball handler that can set up the offense, but this team will struggle when they need a big shot down the stretch, they had two guys for that last year, this year they still havent figured that out and I don’t know if it’s feed Cliff to get that bucket. I’m not as down about the loss if they win their home games over this next four game stretch.

kudos to you guys, we could see the red and the announcers even commented that Rutgers travels, heard the cheering, sorry you had to see the collapse

Really not sure what game you watched. Rutgers controlled this game from about the 10 minute stage of the first half until the last 4 minutes. But for an incredible amount of missed layups , 10 in total , but at least 2-3 with no one on them, Mag’s missed put back at the end of the first half , Hyatt’s missed that would have tied it at 63 and Mag’s late miss that would have cut it to 3. ; simple and not smart turnovers that at least 3 that turned into pick 6’s , 2 by Hyatt and 1 by Caleb , that changed momentum and gave them life that they could comeback ; and finally an historic bad shooting night from Cam , 1-10, and at least 5-6 were wide open threes , that if he makes even 1 during their comeback , we probably win , this is an say comfortable victory for Rutgers. Mag also inexcusably for some reason sagged off the only player that had hit a 3 up until that point and that guy drilled 2 of them during their comeback. Really a series of blunders that almost nothing to do with anything Miami did on defense but Rutgers gifting them the game.
Mag and Hyatt gave you some really nice minutes tonight as Hyatt’s 3 threes got our offense kickstarted in the first half and Mag hit a three and a couple of post ups. But what happens to those 2 is really hard to imagine and hard to believe it hasn’t been corrected or how it keeps on happening. Hyatt was letting the game come to him but 2 times he tried for some reason that makes no sense to me tried to dribble into 2 guys and tried to force it and not only did he turn it over but he falls down and it turned into pick 6’s on 2 occasions which is an 8 point swing. Then he makes a nice move and somehow someway missed a wide open layup to tie the game at 63 with a little over a minute to play. Pike has to drill that crap out of Hyatt ‘s game.
Mag for some reason does a lot of good things defensively and has hit a shot here and there and has gotten better at backing his man down low and even hit a big hook shot in the late second half. But he missed the layup at the end of the half and then just loses his balance and loses the ball which he did again. He also loses control of the ball on the offensive glass where he is in position to do damage. He just has to relax but I guess it is not in his DNA because he has all the tools on both ends of the floor. It is damn frustrating.

Now Cliff is talented and makes an impact but I am really disappointed in his defense . Both against Temple and tonight he was content to play behind their big man and not burned him for 17 points to counter act his impact and hardly any attempt to deny the pass to them nor going hard for rebounds on missed shots . Yes we did a bad job not getting him the ball the last 8-9 minutes and when we did they had him doubled. We did a bad job swinging the ball side to side and would have Mag or Hyatt with the ball on the wing expecting them to make a play which was bad offense .
Miami was not the better team we melted down , made some dumb plays and turnovers and missed the easiest shot in a the game , a layup , and our 3 point shooter despite being open was short all night and couldn’t hit the right side of the barn.

Really not sure what game you watched. Rutgers controlled this game from about the 10 minute stage of the first half until the last 4 minutes. But for an incredible amount of missed layups , 10 in total , but at least 2-3 with no one on them, Mag’s missed put back at the end of the first half , Hyatt’s missed that would have tied it at 63 and Mag’s late miss that would have cut it to 3. ; simple and not smart turnovers that at least 3 that turned into pick 6’s , 2 by Hyatt and 1 by Caleb , that changed momentum and gave them life that they could comeback ; and finally an historic bad shooting night from Cam , 1-10, and at least 5-6 were wide open threes , that if he makes even 1 during their comeback , we probably win , this is an say comfortable victory for Rutgers. Mag also inexcusably for some reason sagged off the only player that had hit a 3 up until that point and that guy drilled 2 of them during their comeback. Really a series of blunders that almost nothing to do with anything Miami did on defense but Rutgers gifting them the game.
Mag and Hyatt gave you some really nice minutes tonight as Hyatt’s 3 threes got our offense kickstarted in the first half and Mag hit a three and a couple of post ups. But what happens to those 2 is really hard to imagine and hard to believe it hasn’t been corrected or how it keeps on happening. Hyatt was letting the game come to him but 2 times he tried for some reason that makes no sense to me tried to dribble into 2 guys and tried to force it and not only did he turn it over but he falls down and it turned into pick 6’s on 2 occasions which is an 8 point swing. Then he makes a nice move and somehow someway missed a wide open layup to tie the game at 63 with a little over a minute to play. Pike has to drill that crap out of Hyatt ‘s game.
Mag for some reason does a lot of good things defensively and has hit a shot here and there and has gotten better at backing his man down low and even hit a big hook shot in the late second half. But he missed the layup at the end of the half and then just loses his balance and loses the ball which he did again. He also loses control of the ball on the offensive glass where he is in position to do damage. He just has to relax but I guess it is not in his DNA because he has all the tools on both ends of the floor. It is damn frustrating.

Now Cliff is talented and makes an impact but I am really disappointed in his defense . Both against Temple and tonight he was content to play behind their big man and not burned him for 17 points to counter act his impact and hardly any attempt to deny the pass to them nor going hard for rebounds on missed shots . Yes we did a bad job not getting him the ball the last 8-9 minutes and when we did they had him doubled. We did a bad job swinging the ball side to side and would have Mag or Hyatt with the ball on the wing expecting them to make a play which was bad offense .
Miami was not the better team we melted down , made some dumb plays and turnovers and missed the easiest shot in a the game , a layup , and our 3 point shooter despite being open was short all night and couldn’t hit the right side of the barn.

what game did you watch, after RU went up 46-35, RU was outscored 33-15 in the last 16:43 and had only two baskets in the last 8 minutes

Reactions: RUJMM78
Have any of you people who have been complaining about every coach’s substitution patterns for ~100 years considered that you just don’t understand how basketball substitutions are supposed to work?
Idk, seems like Pike is good for at least 1 wtf sub pattern every 2nd half, where he treats it like a hockey line change.

I laid it out for you clearly.

thats great but RU did absolutely nothing in the last 16 minutes that indicated that they wanted or were capable of winning. Miami thoroughly dominated that stretch, the most important of the game and RU was a mess during its most important possessions

Reactions: RUJMM78
Idk, seems like Pike is good for at least 1 wtf sub pattern every 2nd half, where he treats it like a hockey line change.
I have no idea what the optimal substitution strategy is, but I seriously doubt that Pike’s is so bad that it is giving up multiple points in expectation, much less being a primary factor in an 18 point swing.

Great analysis, as usual. Regarding the cream puff schedule, the adjusted Pomeroy strength of schedule, which is a “point in time” snapshot that does not account for future games, had us at 354th in D1 before tonight’s game. I think there are about 360 D1 teams. Schedules are made in advance, so some of the weakness you can’t anticipate, but this is a pattern and you pretty much know how teams like Central Connecticut State etc are going to be. There is no excuse for a P5 team to be this low more than three weeks into the season.

Reactions: MCKnight2004
Great Recap once again Bac.

Sure we can lament about the missed layups, but almost as important was that we just didn't protect the ball. How many times did we get our hands on a ball, and then didn't hold on to it?

Best of Luck,
Groz

and tomorrow morning I may soften my stance on this team

this team may not be a NCAA team and that could be okay.

I dont want to be so negative, I am coming from the perspective of keeping the NCAA train rolling along, this year could be a step back especially if Paul does not come back. We will find out in the next 4.

Tie game with 2 minutes to go. What would the narrative have been if Hyatt makes the layup and we get 2 stops?

Would we be talking about recruiting?
Would Pike have been outcoached?

No. We would be talking about how we gutted this one out. It was Rutgers basketball.

Letting 4 out of 140 possessions dictate how you view a game is being emotional and not rational.

We were without a key person, on the road, against a NCAA team, and didn’t play great, and it was tied with 2 to go.

Great Recap once again Bac.

Sure we can lament about the missed layups, but almost as important was that we just didn't protect the ball. How many times did we get our hands on a ball, and then didn't hold on to it?

Best of Luck,
Groz
Same can be said for Miami

Schedule isn't a factor in Cam Spencer missing wide open 3s or Hyatt and Mag missing chippies. We have to look at poor bench rotation, bad mixed of pieces on the floor and not putting a team away on the road.
Despite everyone saying the opposite Pike got it right last year. People were killing him for benching Jones and Hyatt while playing Paul and Caleb.

and tomorrow morning I may soften my stance on this team

this team may not be a NCAA team and that could be okay.

I dont want to be so negative, I am coming from the perspective of keeping the NCAA train rolling along, this year could be a step back especially if Paul does not come back. We will find out in the next 4.
You need a homework assignment. How many teams go to the NCAA tournament every year without a reload year every one in awhile?

I think it isn’t more than 20.

Tie game with 2 minutes to go. What would the narrative have been if Hyatt makes the layup and we get 2 stops?

Would we be talking about recruiting?
Would Pike have been outcoached?

No. We would be talking about how we gutted this one out. It was Rutgers basketball.

Letting 4 out of 140 possessions dictate how you view a game is being emotional and not rational.

We were without a key person, on the road, against a NCAA team, and didn’t play great, and it was tied with 2 to go.

33-15
2 fgs in 8 minutes
but layup was missed....does that is was missed surprised you

if Harper does not make that 3 at Indiana, RU misses the tournament

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT