ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 8 INDIANA: Pikiell doing a Pikiell

Cam is going to find his way. He hasn't played this level of competition but I don't believe that he's over his head either. He's going to need to adjust his game to some extent because what was there against Columbia is not going to be there against Purdue. But I trust in his bball IQ and his ability to put the ball through the hoop.

Good stuff as always, bac. A few additional comments —

I didn’t think Simpson had a bad first half at all, nor did I think he was forcing things. He actually played an outstanding first half, but he simply didn’t hit the shots he took. He was 0 for 6, but the shots were good looks in the flow of the offense. Things really clicked for him in the 2nd half, which was one for the ages and reminded me of one of those 2nd halves where Geo would take over and will us to victory.

Amazing that we were able to take a 7-point halftime lead with Cliff on the bench. Outstanding job by Reiber and Woolfolk to hold the fort on defense in the middle.

Hyatt is a first half player lately, scoring in bunches in the opening frame and then forcing things and going cold in the second half. Good job by Pike in pulling him after three bad 3-point misses early in the 2nd half.

Mag only scored 7 points, but he was a MONSTER on defense and on the boards. Somebody commented in the game thread that he’s like a one-man press on defense, and boy is that right. He’s so athletic that he’s able to play perimeter defense without fouling, and he’s so strong and tough that he’s able to grab rebounds in traffic. The post offense he showed with two nice turnaround jumpers in the paint is a huge added bonus.

I had a feeling Cliff would struggle on offense against TJD. To his credit, Cliff found ways to contribute in the 2nd half, with solid post defense and really good rebounding. That weak side block from behind was a key play too.

What can you say about Caleb, he was just a warrior out there in 37 minutes. He was inefficient on offense, with 16 points on 4-12 shooting, but his offense was timely, including two huge threes and 6-6 at the line. And his defense was elite as usual, bottling up Xavier Johnson most of the game. I was wondering why Pike didn’t put Caleb on Kopp after Kopp’s torrid start, but it made sense to have the DPOY choke off IU’s offense by clamping down on their PG.

That 17-0 run in the 2nd half was a thing of beauty. It was 6 on 5 with a thunderous RAC providing the “extra man” on defense. Our defense was just suffocating there, and Simpson provided some eye popping offense. The step back, ankle breaking mid-range jumper, the 3-pointer off the 40 foot pass from Paul, and the driving scoop shot about as high off the glass as you can go - oh my. And then after IU had gone on a a mini run, a back breaking DAGGER three late in the shot clock to put us back up by 13 and basically shut the door on a Hoosiers comeback.

Finally, how about a gutsy performance from Paul coming off the bench. I don’t think Pike intended to play him as much as he did, but we needed Paul to settle things down after IU opened the 2nd half on a 9-2 run to even things up at 33-33. Paul played almost the rest of that epic half, providing a steady hand on offense and his usual timely team defense, including a strip steal and outlet pass leading to Caleb’s dunk.

Amazing to realize that this was the first game all year in which we’ve had our entire roster available. If we can stay healthy, the sky’s the limit.

I will say it seems like every year now, Rutgers comes out of the gate a bit shaky against real competition causing posters like me to hand wring and to start questioning our roster, our defense, our coaching, our ceiling. And once again Bac does not learn his lesson as Pikiell once again pulls a Pikiell and Bac looks like a fool. He works and works and tinkers and tinkers and all of a sudden a team that cannot throw a ball into the ocean or defend a slashing guard in their previous game knocks off a top 10 team in RUs biggest win over a top 10 team since 1977. The Temple and Miami losses as Pike said this week were learning lessons and I think not just for the team but for the coaching staff. The game plan for Indiana was spot on and when adversity hit at times, Pike made all the right moves. I thought vs Miami he struggled for the answers in the 2nd half Much like last season it seems like the original plan coming into the season sort of got messed up. This year it was injuries to two starters and previous role players not quite ready to step up at a consistent level. Then throw in freshmen bugaboos and your transfer shooting guard struggling vs the better teams on the schedule and the pieces of the puzzle really were getting jumble. Of course Paul and Caleb back in the fold help but then what, how does Pike get the most out of a team searching for a consistent offensive threat. Sometimes it takes balls and it can be painful and today it was glorious. Ultimately it comes down to Pike giving that trust in certain players and thats why he get paid the big bucks and not us.

Cliff picking up 2 fouls in just a few minutes was maddening and RU had like 5 in the first 4 minutes. Not to be one to call out refs, but the refs got off to a brutal start officiating before settling in the 2nd half in what was a chippy game at times. With Cliff force to bench for almost 17 minutes of the 2nd half. things could have spiralled out of control. Somehow RU held sway. Pikiell got every bit out Reiber and Woofolk as he could to bridge into the 2nd half. Those guys played their roles in the needed way. Minutes, rebound, defense. Pike switched to some zone and that was quite the tonic just frustrating Indiana who could not really get many touches for Trace Jackson Davis who was bottled up in the first half. Besides Copp who I believe had 12 or 13 at halftime, RU was keeping everyone in check. Indiana came in averaging 87 points a game, to hold them to just 24 and to do it without Cliff in the game was a spectacular display of team defense. Of course it helps when your heart of the team, Paul Mulcahy returns. Paul entered to a thunderous ovation from the RAC crowd. Getting Paul back was enormous. Rutgers just goes differently with him in the game at both ends. Bringing the needed toughness and calmness to guide an offense that was playing without Cliff. Paul got on the board early with his typical bullying to the basket move and his drive to the hoop on RUs last possession before halftime to put RU up 7 was beauty in motion. Even though the RU offense wasnt in sync with perhaps too much one on one stuff, it was the defense that kept plugging away and keeping Indiana at bay. To be up 31-24 at half did bode well but adversity was right around the corner.

Hyatt a pretty decent first half. I think 4-7 with a 3 and 9 points but it was way too much Hyatt in the opening minutes of the 2nd half. After a move to a wide open bucket for a layup, Hyatt would struggle mightily and RU found themselves on the wrong end of a 11-2 run. Suddenly the dam was breaking, RU was down 35-33, chasing on defense giving up open 3s and chucking up bad perimeter shots and bricking everything. It was looking like here we go again like at Miami. But there went Pikiell with the move of the game which could be the move of the season with his insertion of Mulcahy and Derek Simpson back into the lineup. Paul promptly hits a jumper just inside the 3 point line and good call by Bigeastphil about that Paul shot being much needed to calm the waters. RU tied it up and then after an Indiana bucket, we saw one of the most devastating runs in RAC history. A 17-0 run that had the RAC on its feet through multiple Indiana timeouts and a swarming defense causing chaos on every Indiana possession. An almost 6 minute stretch of flawless basketall where we saw a freshmen guard named Derek Simpson grow a set of balls that would rival the ones that Ron Harper Jr carried at the end of the Indiana game last season after hitting the game winning 3. Derek was not good in the first half. 0-6, once again showing signs of forcing it at the wrong times. I remarked in the game thread about reigning him in and I am going to give credit to Bossnj who told me that Derek needs to keep shooting. And in reality it makes sense, with Cam struggling so much and our offensive options seemingly limited this game, we needed every bit of those balls that Derek brought to the table. When Derek had a similar flurry at the end of the game vs Rider, thats one thing, its Rider...when he scores 11 straight points vs Indiana, yeah its safe to say Derek has the biggest balls of them all. A player risking failure to seek reward. Derek got untracked and needed a saliva test. You know having Paul is going to be huge for Derek's development and his pass to Derek for a layup kicked off what would include a 3 and 2 more fgs and a free throw to boot. Simpson's 3 late with Indiana hanging around at 10 was really important to see he could carry his earlier shot late into the game during crunch time. Derek went from 0-6 in the first half to 5-7 in the 2nd half with 14 points in probably about 12-13 minutes of playing time. Today's win was a team win but there is no win today without what Derek accomplished. Everyone sees his potential and his speed, but he is young. Pike made the right call and wow not even sure he could have anticipated how well Simpson would respond. Pike rode this lineup while sitting starters Hyatt and Spencer. A risky but needed move that is going to have some major implications. Seeing Derek put it together against a top 10 is invaluable for his development going forward

Mag and then a dunk by Caleb would close out this run, RU was up 52-37 and basically it was game over in a flash. Mag's defense in this stretch was impressive. He was everywhere..getting blocks, rebounds and buckets. The attention was on Derek but Mag had the kind of sneaky good performance that makes me think he has the edge over Hyatt in the starting lineup when Paul returns to that role which may be a game or two from happening. A whopping 9 boards, 7 points and 2 blocks.

What can we say about Caleb McConnell. Any concerns about his injury seem forgotten at this point after a warrior like 37 minutes with 16 points and 10 boards. Just another day at the office right. The shots were not always falling and he has a tendency to force some action but its only because the guy want to contribute everywhere on the court and he does. Got to the line 6 times and drained them all. Seemed like key junctures Caleb was there making a hoop, getting to the line or stripping the ball on defense. If Paul is the heart of the team, Caleb is the soul. With them back and getting healthier by the second, alot of the early season analysis could be tossed in the trash bin. This is a different team with both of them in the lineup. The wheel can spin again, the cogs are all in place.

Cliff..what can we say about Cliff. I mean he has had some great stat line games but its almost as if something is missing. The foul trouble in the first half and then just having nothing offensively in the 2nd half but I will say this. Cliff was pivotal late in the game to snuff our any Indiana run. He ended up with 9 rebounds almost all of them in the 2nd half. As inconsistent as Cliff has been on defense this year, Cliff was big in the last 5 minutes, collecting a bevy of rebounds, got a block and closed it out by hitting 4 straight free throws. I know we want and demand more from him so hopefully he can find the answers to get him going like we know we can but I really liked how he kept his head in the game and finished out strong contributing.

Loved Reiber today, havent said that this year yet so a pleasant surprise vs Indiana. He held his own, playing good D and minutes without fouling. Woofolk mainly minutes in the first half, right now we just need him for minutes as his role. Grabbed 2 boards in 8 minutes with a block so successful day for him

Jalen Miller dnp and with Paul/Caleb back and Derek breakout I think his minutes will be only in spot situations.

Cam....its the one thing from my earlier recap unfortunately might be right on. Now the 3rd game vs a solid team and struggling Made only the one 3 pointer, was leaving 3 pt shooters wide open and played only 17 minutes and Derek gobbled up all his minutes. Wouldnt want to write him off yet, there will be Big 10 games where he will be a key contributor but you can sort of see the direction that Pike might go in with Derek and its going to happen slowly

Hyatt as I said had a very good first half but a brutal 2nd half and sat during the big run. I do not like a role for him shooting that much and Pike may the right move in keeping him out for much of the 2nd half. A vital part of the team for sure but not as 2nd or 3rd option.

Good lord what is it about this building...please please do not change a thing about it...I know thats a topic for another thread. Another RAC classic to go into what is becoming a growing list very quickly under Coach Steve Pikiell. This building has a life of its own and can resuscitating a team struggling a bit to find its ways. An ugly finish on the road vs Miami which just 5 points in the last 8 minutes was not giving me confidence heading into a game with an Indiana team who just kocked off North Carolina. Yes they would ripe for the picking with the proverbial letdown but with Paul possibly still out and more questions than answers cropping up on the offense end it did not seem like the right time to face a top 10 to kick off the Big 10 season in early December. But just like that place was sizzling from the get go and perhaps buoyed by that excellent idea of a winter carnival outside offer drinks and food. The RAC was the RAC. I say it like its old hat. Always tough to get the environment earlier in the season IMO, the RAC game to play and gave the team a big assist tonight to push this team on home to close out the victory

Indiana fans are trash. I will give them credit for travelling. I bet they had almost 1K in the building. They seemed to be everywhere with their aura of smugness for what I do not know. A big run in the Big 10 tourney somehow made them the Big 10 favorite and the highest ranked Big 10 team coming into this year. That win over North Carolina was impressive do not get me wrong. Indiana is good and likely a NCAA team. Trace Jackson Davis could be Big 10 POY. RU didnt see his best today and alot of that is because of Rutgers. 6 straight wins now and 8 of 9 that is simply ridiculous. Rutgers vs a big time storied program...yeah its ho hum right now. Hoosier Daddy indeed

How about the enormity of knocking off preseason Big 10 champ in game 1. Now thats something to discuss in another thread. Now what and now how do expectations change and do we worry about moving that pendulum to far in the other direction. Right now enjoy the win, a satisfying domination for our Indiana bitches. Ohio State is right around the corner followed by the Smurfs.
@bac2therac

Good write up but too short. Seriously good job

Mo

The Temple game was a huge learning experience for Derek. I think the fact that we didnt have Paul or Caleb put him in a tough spot facing bigger guards who were much stronger. Doing it on the road is different and we will need to steal a few road games. Derek is going to be a good one. Would love to see him put some muscle on in the weight room so hes even better driving to the hoop. I thought he handled the ball much better today.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Cam is going to find his way. He hasn't played this level of competition but I don't believe that he's over his head either. He's going to need to adjust his game to some extent because what was there against Columbia is not going to be there against Purdue. But I trust in his bball IQ and his ability to put the ball through the hoop.
i watched the unc vs loyola,md game. cam wasn't the quickest man on the court, but held his own. he also was fearless driving to the hoop and didn't look overmatched at all......i know this was just one game though............cam played attack on lacrosse, he's plenty athletic enough...i just think he's trying to fit in and may be pressing ......i hope this is the case and not the ru screw, or the peter kiss factor. ......we see how things can change game to game even half to half, so it wouldn't surprise me if cam had a lights out game in the near future........we really need him to step up........i think he will.

I will say it seems like every year now, Rutgers comes out of the gate a bit shaky against real competition causing posters like me to hand wring and to start questioning our roster, our defense, our coaching, our ceiling. And once again Bac does not learn his lesson as Pikiell once again pulls a Pikiell and Bac looks like a fool. He works and works and tinkers and tinkers and all of a sudden a team that cannot throw a ball into the ocean or defend a slashing guard in their previous game knocks off a top 10 team in RUs biggest win over a top 10 team since 1977. The Temple and Miami losses as Pike said this week were learning lessons and I think not just for the team but for the coaching staff. The game plan for Indiana was spot on and when adversity hit at times, Pike made all the right moves. I thought vs Miami he struggled for the answers in the 2nd half Much like last season it seems like the original plan coming into the season sort of got messed up. This year it was injuries to two starters and previous role players not quite ready to step up at a consistent level. Then throw in freshmen bugaboos and your transfer shooting guard struggling vs the better teams on the schedule and the pieces of the puzzle really were getting jumble. Of course Paul and Caleb back in the fold help but then what, how does Pike get the most out of a team searching for a consistent offensive threat. Sometimes it takes balls and it can be painful and today it was glorious. Ultimately it comes down to Pike giving that trust in certain players and thats why he get paid the big bucks and not us.

Cliff picking up 2 fouls in just a few minutes was maddening and RU had like 5 in the first 4 minutes. Not to be one to call out refs, but the refs got off to a brutal start officiating before settling in the 2nd half in what was a chippy game at times. With Cliff force to bench for almost 17 minutes of the 2nd half. things could have spiralled out of control. Somehow RU held sway. Pikiell got every bit out Reiber and Woofolk as he could to bridge into the 2nd half. Those guys played their roles in the needed way. Minutes, rebound, defense. Pike switched to some zone and that was quite the tonic just frustrating Indiana who could not really get many touches for Trace Jackson Davis who was bottled up in the first half. Besides Copp who I believe had 12 or 13 at halftime, RU was keeping everyone in check. Indiana came in averaging 87 points a game, to hold them to just 24 and to do it without Cliff in the game was a spectacular display of team defense. Of course it helps when your heart of the team, Paul Mulcahy returns. Paul entered to a thunderous ovation from the RAC crowd. Getting Paul back was enormous. Rutgers just goes differently with him in the game at both ends. Bringing the needed toughness and calmness to guide an offense that was playing without Cliff. Paul got on the board early with his typical bullying to the basket move and his drive to the hoop on RUs last possession before halftime to put RU up 7 was beauty in motion. Even though the RU offense wasnt in sync with perhaps too much one on one stuff, it was the defense that kept plugging away and keeping Indiana at bay. To be up 31-24 at half did bode well but adversity was right around the corner.

Hyatt a pretty decent first half. I think 4-7 with a 3 and 9 points but it was way too much Hyatt in the opening minutes of the 2nd half. After a move to a wide open bucket for a layup, Hyatt would struggle mightily and RU found themselves on the wrong end of a 11-2 run. Suddenly the dam was breaking, RU was down 35-33, chasing on defense giving up open 3s and chucking up bad perimeter shots and bricking everything. It was looking like here we go again like at Miami. But there went Pikiell with the move of the game which could be the move of the season with his insertion of Mulcahy and Derek Simpson back into the lineup. Paul promptly hits a jumper just inside the 3 point line and good call by Bigeastphil about that Paul shot being much needed to calm the waters. RU tied it up and then after an Indiana bucket, we saw one of the most devastating runs in RAC history. A 17-0 run that had the RAC on its feet through multiple Indiana timeouts and a swarming defense causing chaos on every Indiana possession. An almost 6 minute stretch of flawless basketall where we saw a freshmen guard named Derek Simpson grow a set of balls that would rival the ones that Ron Harper Jr carried at the end of the Indiana game last season after hitting the game winning 3. Derek was not good in the first half. 0-6, once again showing signs of forcing it at the wrong times. I remarked in the game thread about reigning him in and I am going to give credit to Bossnj who told me that Derek needs to keep shooting. And in reality it makes sense, with Cam struggling so much and our offensive options seemingly limited this game, we needed every bit of those balls that Derek brought to the table. When Derek had a similar flurry at the end of the game vs Rider, thats one thing, its Rider...when he scores 11 straight points vs Indiana, yeah its safe to say Derek has the biggest balls of them all. A player risking failure to seek reward. Derek got untracked and needed a saliva test. You know having Paul is going to be huge for Derek's development and his pass to Derek for a layup kicked off what would include a 3 and 2 more fgs and a free throw to boot. Simpson's 3 late with Indiana hanging around at 10 was really important to see he could carry his earlier shot late into the game during crunch time. Derek went from 0-6 in the first half to 5-7 in the 2nd half with 14 points in probably about 12-13 minutes of playing time. Today's win was a team win but there is no win today without what Derek accomplished. Everyone sees his potential and his speed, but he is young. Pike made the right call and wow not even sure he could have anticipated how well Simpson would respond. Pike rode this lineup while sitting starters Hyatt and Spencer. A risky but needed move that is going to have some major implications. Seeing Derek put it together against a top 10 is invaluable for his development going forward

Mag and then a dunk by Caleb would close out this run, RU was up 52-37 and basically it was game over in a flash. Mag's defense in this stretch was impressive. He was everywhere..getting blocks, rebounds and buckets. The attention was on Derek but Mag had the kind of sneaky good performance that makes me think he has the edge over Hyatt in the starting lineup when Paul returns to that role which may be a game or two from happening. A whopping 9 boards, 7 points and 2 blocks.

What can we say about Caleb McConnell. Any concerns about his injury seem forgotten at this point after a warrior like 37 minutes with 16 points and 10 boards. Just another day at the office right. The shots were not always falling and he has a tendency to force some action but its only because the guy want to contribute everywhere on the court and he does. Got to the line 6 times and drained them all. Seemed like key junctures Caleb was there making a hoop, getting to the line or stripping the ball on defense. If Paul is the heart of the team, Caleb is the soul. With them back and getting healthier by the second, alot of the early season analysis could be tossed in the trash bin. This is a different team with both of them in the lineup. The wheel can spin again, the cogs are all in place.

Cliff..what can we say about Cliff. I mean he has had some great stat line games but its almost as if something is missing. The foul trouble in the first half and then just having nothing offensively in the 2nd half but I will say this. Cliff was pivotal late in the game to snuff our any Indiana run. He ended up with 9 rebounds almost all of them in the 2nd half. As inconsistent as Cliff has been on defense this year, Cliff was big in the last 5 minutes, collecting a bevy of rebounds, got a block and closed it out by hitting 4 straight free throws. I know we want and demand more from him so hopefully he can find the answers to get him going like we know we can but I really liked how he kept his head in the game and finished out strong contributing.

Loved Reiber today, havent said that this year yet so a pleasant surprise vs Indiana. He held his own, playing good D and minutes without fouling. Woofolk mainly minutes in the first half, right now we just need him for minutes as his role. Grabbed 2 boards in 8 minutes with a block so successful day for him

Jalen Miller dnp and with Paul/Caleb back and Derek breakout I think his minutes will be only in spot situations.

Cam....its the one thing from my earlier recap unfortunately might be right on. Now the 3rd game vs a solid team and struggling Made only the one 3 pointer, was leaving 3 pt shooters wide open and played only 17 minutes and Derek gobbled up all his minutes. Wouldnt want to write him off yet, there will be Big 10 games where he will be a key contributor but you can sort of see the direction that Pike might go in with Derek and its going to happen slowly

Hyatt as I said had a very good first half but a brutal 2nd half and sat during the big run. I do not like a role for him shooting that much and Pike may the right move in keeping him out for much of the 2nd half. A vital part of the team for sure but not as 2nd or 3rd option.

Good lord what is it about this building...please please do not change a thing about it...I know thats a topic for another thread. Another RAC classic to go into what is becoming a growing list very quickly under Coach Steve Pikiell. This building has a life of its own and can resuscitating a team struggling a bit to find its ways. An ugly finish on the road vs Miami which just 5 points in the last 8 minutes was not giving me confidence heading into a game with an Indiana team who just kocked off North Carolina. Yes they would ripe for the picking with the proverbial letdown but with Paul possibly still out and more questions than answers cropping up on the offense end it did not seem like the right time to face a top 10 to kick off the Big 10 season in early December. But just like that place was sizzling from the get go and perhaps buoyed by that excellent idea of a winter carnival outside offer drinks and food. The RAC was the RAC. I say it like its old hat. Always tough to get the environment earlier in the season IMO, the RAC game to play and gave the team a big assist tonight to push this team on home to close out the victory

Indiana fans are trash. I will give them credit for travelling. I bet they had almost 1K in the building. They seemed to be everywhere with their aura of smugness for what I do not know. A big run in the Big 10 tourney somehow made them the Big 10 favorite and the highest ranked Big 10 team coming into this year. That win over North Carolina was impressive do not get me wrong. Indiana is good and likely a NCAA team. Trace Jackson Davis could be Big 10 POY. RU didnt see his best today and alot of that is because of Rutgers. 6 straight wins now and 8 of 9 that is simply ridiculous. Rutgers vs a big time storied program...yeah its ho hum right now. Hoosier Daddy indeed

How about the enormity of knocking off preseason Big 10 champ in game 1. Now thats something to discuss in another thread. Now what and now how do expectations change and do we worry about moving that pendulum to far in the other direction. Right now enjoy the win, a satisfying domination for our Indiana bitches. Ohio State is right around the corner followed by the Smurfs.
Great recap as always bac. And thanks for the props! shows what kind of man you are..

The outcome is all that matters to us long time RU fans. And now we have a few under the radar young guys who add a lot of promise for the future.

Go RU!

Cam didn't look bad out there, just not like a weapon

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I've been begging Pike to get into the Refs a bit more when necessary for years now. His halftime comments were great and SO happy to see him call them out in Pike's way. He was rightfully mad.

Anyone saying such things don't make a difference I give you exhibit A. Good for him. At a minimum its great to see him defending his players like that.

I've been begging Pike to get into the Refs a bit more when necessary for years now. His halftime comments were great and SO happy to see him call them out in Pike's way. He was rightfully mad.

Anyone saying such things don't make a difference I give you exhibit A. Good for him. At a minimum its great to see him defending his players like that.
What did he say at half time...

I was one of those really tough on/really pessimistic about Mag. He played a great game yesterday, playing to his strengths. Stay in that zone.

Cam has had pretty good looks and with Paul out there will continue to get them. They'll start going down.

Derek is really solid, even when his shot is not going down.

Caleb, too, had a really nice game. Great on D and on the glass.

As others have also said, props to Reiber and Woolfolk.

What a difference a game makes,

Cliffs last 5 minutes were very impressive. He had a terrible game up to that point, but kept his head in it abs closed things out in the last five minutes. Super impressive

Reactions: BillyC80
We can have a special year like contend for a B1G title, if

1) We get consistent numbers from Paul, Caleb and Cliff each game, Paul and Caleb will be running the show for most of the 40 minutes, no ifs, ands, or buts.
2) Derek/Cam share the numbers at the 2, when called upon run the show or get a bucket behind Paul and Caleb.
3) Mag/Hyatt share the numbers at the 4, assist Cliff down low and take the shots given to them by the defense.
4) Woolf/Dean/Jalen give solid minutes when they are called upon.

You get about 14-16 points from each position, 1-5, on the floor, you will win most games with our style of defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyC80
I think people were too high on Cam after the first few games and now are too down on him. Looks to me like he's going to be one of those streaky players. There will be nights, once he settles into Big Ten play, he'll shoot the lights out and there will be other nights he'll struggle. I'm confident he will not be another Peter Kiss. Too many of his teammates and other people I respect who are associated with the program were raving about him all summer. He has the ability. Right now he's adjusting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT