ADVERTISEMENT

Game 8: Rutgers Women's Hoops vs. Virginia in B1G/ACC Challenge

The men ended up winning the challenge 8-6. I wish RU could have helped in that. Purdue's dismantling of UVa was pretty shocking and OSU devastated UNC in Chapel Hill by the largest margin the Tarheels had lost by there in nearly two decades.

As for the women, a 5-0 start last night was fantastic. The remaining 9 games are all on tap for tonight and several will be tough but overall, with an RU win, the B1G should prevail. Our lone loss at LSU is looking far less bad as LSU continues to win and is in the Top 25.

It seems like ND has fallen off of a cliff this year. Anyone know what has happened there?

In the convoluted Real Time RPI algorithm, RU is ranked # 29, with a Strength of Schedule of #100, whereas U Va is ranked #18, with a SOS of # 1 (wow).

A win should help RU go up in this Real Time RPI (for what it's worth).

UVa's star is New Jersey native Jocelyn Willoughby (East Orange, N.J.) who ranks second in the ACC in scoring at 18.5 points per game and is seventh in rebounding at 9.3 per game. She scored 50 points and grabbed 26 rebounds in last weekend's Cavalier Classic. Virginia is proficient at getting to the free throw line, and converting the freebies. UVA ranks 24th in the nation with 116 made free throws and comes in at second in the ACC with its .739 free throw percentage. Willoughby played at Newark Academy.

I was just looking at UVa's schedule so far and can see why it's rated #1. They were clobbered by UConn (39 point loss), lost to Kentucky, USC, and UCLA, and defeated ODU along with a few cupcakes. So this might be a bigger challenge than I thinking. They've been battle tested since the beginning of the season. It's a good thing that RU has had a bit of a break since winning the Bahamas tourney.

It seems like ND has fallen off of a cliff this year. Anyone know what has happened there?
They lost almost their whole line-up to the WNBA (graduation). Their 2 best or supposedly best remaining players have been out since the beginning of the year - blod clots in both lungs for one and an ACL sprain for the other.

Per the chart on TV last night they lost over 95% of their scoring, assists, minutes and 2 other stats since last year. UGH.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT