ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 9 OHIO STATE: Pick Up the Pieces

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
I considered not even doing a recap thread, I was so sick to my stomach over what transpired over the last 8 seconds. Yet I quickly got over that and so should you.

Yes apparently Crean has explained on ESPN 2 that Holden was out of bounds and then came in and he cannot be the one to catch that. It sucks balls. It was an egregious error. It was worse than the St Johns Big East game and probably 2nd only to RU women-Tennessee clockgate. Rutgers was screwed but crying over it will not do any good. The time for Pikiell to say something was right after it happened and if he couldnt get the refs respect and attention at that moment then its over with. EDIT...if its non reviewable as said, then there is nothing that Pike could have done. suggest instead of pulling your hair out for 3 days over this and letting it fester inside your mind. You just accept it and move on. Its not going to change. There will be no overturning, no redo. I can guarantee that Pike is not going to dwell on it with Seton Hall coming up on Sunday. Dwelling on it will not be good for this teams psyche. Pick yourself up, dust yourselves off and try again. As fans I am not going to let this consume me the next couple of days because it will make me miserable. There is literally nothing that can change what happened. So moving forward, there was alot of good that RU showed in this game that can be used as positives going forward

RU had a 3 point lead with 7.7 seconds. I have always been very adamant about not wanting to foul on a 3 exactly because of what happened. That we did it and then did it actually at 5.8 seconds and not with 3 makes me more incensed. Bad call by Pike and bad move by Mag, you just cannot foul in the backcourt, there is no way that could have been the plan. Ok so that happens and OSU makes their two and we get the ball to Caleb but there is still a whopping 5 seconds left, that is a lifetime. Then to make matters worse, no one was on the line for the rebound to perhaps take some time off. Cannot fault Caleb, 3 games back and it looks like he was tired at the end. The first foul shot made was shaky and the 2nd ugly as well. Yet he makes the shot and RU likely wins.

The bottom line is Rutgers didnt get it done....whether it was one giant **** up by the refs, one missed rebound, one stop, one basket, one free throw. Rutgers came up short. In the game thread I felt this game was too similar to the Notre Dame game in the NCAA tourney. RU played well but was missing something. Alas it took a botched call to take it away from this time. But RU allowed this game to get closer than it should have. There were some late fouls, missed rebounds and missed shots that could have given RU a bigger cushion.

The disappointing thing with this loss, is that RU played well enough to win vs a solid but not great team on the road. I think OSU is a bit overranked right now but still a likely NCAA team. I thought RU was the better team and OSU is vulnerable at this juncture because of their youth. They had some parts but not a finished product. RU should have been able to break open this game. This was a game that never should have been in the hands of the ref or down to fouling up 3. One never knows if the next road game vs a quality conference opponent the situation RU will be in. You want to grab it and have those birds in the hand for later.

Still there are some really big positives to take. Last week at this time after the loss to Miami, we didnt have Paul back in the lineup, we didnt know if we had enough parts to be a good team, our defense was struggling and I think Rutgers had alot to prove. While clearly not as sharp on both ends tonight as vs Indiana, RU showed in both these games that yes RU can play with anyone and can legit contend for a NCAA bid and a spot in the upper parts of the Big 10. RU spotted OSU an 11 point lead on the road but managed to claw back by ramping up their defensive intensity which carried them for the last 25 minutes of the game. Cliff had so much trouble in the first half but was a completely different player in the 2nd half. Cliff had 16 points on 7-10 shooting. Cam who struggled in his last 2 was suddenly a big spark in the first half and then came on late with a couple of nifty basket and steal. Plays that would have been pointed to as reasons why RU won the game on any other night. Derek got key buckets in key moments. Hyatt was much improved over previous 2 games. We are starting to see team ball played to its potential. Individually you look at them and say eh not all that impressed but together as one spinning wheel is where they impressed. With Paul back this team is getting better and better. Still have moments where they play poorly but those times are shrinking. RU had just 9 turnovers in the first 13 minutes but only 4 the next 27. The defense continues to be its mainstay. It wasnt good early and RU wasnt matching the Buckeye intensity early. That changed and never gave away even to the last play. Thats why I am pissed that Pike even put RU in a situation of not letting your defense play it out with 7.7 left, the worst you can do is tie.

There is not much you can do but move on, move on, move on. Know what kind of team you are, know what kind of team you root for. Do not let a bad and bad is an understatement call ruin your gameplan or your day. The cream rises to the top. Coach Pikiell, the team and the fans know what kind of team we are now. Our faith in them is probably even greater now after what transpired tonight. Pick up the pieces, Seton Hall will not feel sorry for you. Stay focused on what you can do....just remember that ant.

Pick up the pieces, uh, huh
Pick up the pieces, alright
Pick up the pieces, whoo

Last edited:
I’m not blaming Pike for this loss. Fouling while up three late is accepted strategy. Did Mag foul a bit too early? Yes. But it’s a valid strategy.

This game is an absolute refereeing travesty of epic proportions:

- game clock not started for about 2 seconds after Caleb’s missed free throw.

- OSU dribbler stepped out of bounds right in front of the ref.

- OSU shooter clearly out of bounds of his own volition and is not permitted to be the first to touch the ball upon reentry.

HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT FINAL PLAY NOT REVIEWED?!?!?!?!?!

BUT EVEN IF IT’S NOT REVIEWABLE, HOW THE FVCK DID THE REFS MISS THESE TWO CLEAR OUT OF BOUNDS PLAYERS?!?!?!?

Agree totally that Pike has a big job ahead of him in refocusing the team. 2 days of prep for the Hall. Sulking doesn’t get them anywhere
Worried about a potential hangover from this but it could also mean we come out playing with a wrath of fury

1-1/6-3…...

Seton hall, wake forest , Bucknell, Coppin state at the RAC

1-1/10-3…..

At Purdue …8 point loss
Iowa
Maryland
At northwestern …6 point win

4-2/13-4

When Ohio state comes back to town

Defend the RAC and Make it happen …

I said it during the game thread. “Omg was he out of bounds.” I’m not a huge b-ball junkie or trained ref and even I saw it since it was so egregious. How the refs didn’t is beyond me.

Reactions: RW90
Literally nothing that happened in this game mattered before the blown calls. The refs stole this game from us and that's all there is to it.

Make the clear obvious call and it's game over. Period. Full stop.

in the win and loss column it didnt matter

BUT for Pikiell and teams development I thought tonight was a pretty good relevation to some things and a conformation that we are a good team and Indiana wasnt a RAC fluke. We didnt even play that well and basically beat Ohio State in front of a large crowd (I know it didnt sound loud but I think they pipe sound down on espn). We also got Cam back on track

I’m not blaming Pike for this loss. Fouling while up three late is accepted strategy. Did Mag foul a bit too early? Yes. But it’s a valid strategy.

This game is an absolute refereeing travesty of epic proportions:

- game clock not started for about 2 seconds after Caleb’s missed free throw.

- OSU dribbler stepped out of bounds right in front of the ref.

- OSU shooter clearly out of bounds of his own volition and is not permitted to be the first to touch the ball upon reentry.

HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT FINAL PLAY NOT REVIEWED?!?!?!?!?!

BUT EVEN IF IT’S NOT REVIEWABLE, HOW THE FVCK DID THE REFS MISS THESE TWO CLEAR OUT OF BOUNDS PLAYERS?!?!?!?
I noticed the clock as well. If there were 2 less seconds the shot comes from half court and likely misses.

BUT for Pikiell and teams development I thought tonight was a pretty good relevation to some things and a conformation that we are a good team and Indiana wasnt a RAC fluke. We didnt even play that well and basically beat Ohio State in front of a large crowd (I know it didnt sound loud but I think they pipe sound down on espn). We also got Cam back on track
FIFY

Well said. Don't let Ohio State (or the refs) beat you again on Sunday. Flush it away and regroup.

Reactions: malaka27
I think Seton Hall is in for a world of hurt from a packed RAC and an angry pack of Scarlet Knights on Sunday. If that doesn't light a fire under the crowd and our guys for a LOUD hornets' nest on Sunday, nothing will.

Reactions: oncampus and Scangg

Oh I agree on all that. I mean talking about making a play here or there or whether we should have fouled or put people on the FT etc

I noticed the clock as well. If there were 2 less seconds the shot comes from half court and likely misses.
Keep in mind the clock doesn’t start until the ball touches someone’s hand, NOT when the ball hits the rim

I thought the clock was about 0.4 to 0.6 slow staring there …but not two seconds

Reactions: RW90
Sorry BAC. That’s such an awful take! The bottom line is absolutely not that, “Rutgers didn’t get it done”. That’s a ridiculous spin. In such a close game on the road against a Top 25 team, refs matter.

The story of this game was the travesty of the refs. The B1G refs stole a game from RU.

1. Time on clock was extremely suspect from amount of time elapsed to not starting on rebound.
2. Dribbler stepped on line.
3. Shooter ran out of bounds of own volition.
4. Shooter can’t be first to catch pass after out of bounds.
5. Shooter never established inbounds before catching ball.
6. Shooter still looked out.
7. Refs didn’t review.

A travesty of errors. As someone noted above, rest of the game doesn’t matter.

Refs should be banned. B1G has to address this. The story was RU was hosed, jobbed. Inexcusable!

Cliff had a nice 2nd half.
Spencer was great.
Hyatt looks like he is improving.
Paul was clutch with foul shots.
Fouls in first half again were ridiculous against RU!
Pattern here?

Repeat after me BAC. Refs matter and especially where RU is concerned, it has never evened out. This game could cost us a seed or even making the tourney.
We’ll have to listen to Sports writers for a month that RU can’t win on the road.

We would have been 1st place in the B1G until after New Years! B1G and refs took that all away from us. That’s the bottom line!!! Travesty

I considered not even doing a recap thread, I was so sick to my stomach over what transpired over the last 8 seconds. Yet I quickly got over that and so should you.

Yes apparently Crean has explained on ESPN 2 that Holden was out of bounds and then came in and he cannot be the one to catch that. It sucks balls. It was an egregious error. It was worse than the St Johns Big East game and probably 2nd only to RU women-Tennessee clockgate. Rutgers was screwed but crying over it will not do any good. The time for Pikiell to say something was right after it happened and if he couldnt get the refs respect and attention at that moment then its over with. I suggest instead of pulling your hair out for 3 days over this and letting it fester inside your mind. You just accept it and move on. Its not going to change. There will be no overturning, no redo. I can guarantee that Pike is not going to dwell on it with Seton Hall coming up on Sunday. Dwelling on it will not be good for this teams psyche. Pick yourself up, dust yourselves off and try again. As fans I am not going to let this consume me the next couple of days because it will make me miserable. There is literally nothing that can change what happened. So moving forward, there was alot of good that RU showed in this game that can be used as positives going forward

RU had a 3 point lead with 7.7 seconds. I have always been very adamant about not wanting to foul on a 3 exactly because of what happened. That we did it and then did it actually at 5.8 seconds and not with 3 makes me more incensed. Bad call by Pike and bad move by Mag, you just cannot foul in the backcourt, there is no way that could have been the plan. Ok so that happens and OSU makes their two and we get the ball to Caleb but there is still a whopping 5 seconds left, that is a lifetime. Then to make matters worse, no one was on the line for the rebound to perhaps take some time off. Cannot fault Caleb, 3 games back and it looks like he was tired at the end. The first foul shot made was shaky and the 2nd ugly as well. Yet he makes the shot and RU likely wins.

The bottom line is Rutgers didnt get it done....whether it was one giant **** up by the refs, one missed rebound, one stop, one basket, one free throw. Rutgers came up short. In the game thread I felt this game was too similar to the Notre Dame game in the NCAA tourney. RU played well but was missing something. Alas it took a botched call to take it away from this time. But RU allowed this game to get closer than it should have. There were some late fouls, missed rebounds and missed shots that could have given RU a bigger cushion.

The disappointing thing with this loss, is that RU played well enough to win vs a solid but not great team on the road. I think OSU is a bit overranked right now but still a likely NCAA team. I thought RU was the better team and OSU is vulnerable at this juncture because of their youth. They had some parts but not a finished product. RU should have been able to break open this game. This was a game that never should have been in the hands of the ref or down to fouling up 3. One never knows if the next road game vs a quality conference opponent the situation RU will be in. You want to grab it and have those birds in the hand for later.

Still there are some really big positives to take. Last week at this time after the loss to Miami, we didnt have Paul back in the lineup, we didnt know if we had enough parts to be a good team, our defense was struggling and I think Rutgers had alot to prove. While clearly not as sharp on both ends tonight as vs Indiana, RU showed in both these games that yes RU can play with anyone and can legit contend for a NCAA bid and a spot in the upper parts of the Big 10. RU spotted OSU an 11 point lead on the road but managed to claw back by ramping up their defensive intensity which carried them for the last 25 minutes of the game. Cliff had so much trouble in the first half but was a completely different player in the 2nd half. Cliff had 16 points on 7-10 shooting. Cam who struggled in his last 2 was suddenly a big spark in the first half and then came on late with a couple of nifty basket and steal. Plays that would have been pointed to as reasons why RU won the game on any other night. Derek got key buckets in key moments. Hyatt was much improved over previous 2 games. We are starting to see team ball played to its potential. Individually you look at them and say eh not all that impressed but together as one spinning wheel is where they impressed. With Paul back this team is getting better and better. Still have moments where they play poorly but those times are shrinking. RU had just 9 turnovers in the first 13 minutes but only 4 the next 27. The defense continues to be its mainstay. It wasnt good early and RU wasnt matching the Buckeye intensity early. That changed and never gave away even to the last play. Thats why I am pissed that Pike even put RU in a situation of not letting your defense play it out with 7.7 left, the worst you can do is tie.

There is not much you can do but move on, move on, move on. Know what kind of team you are, know what kind of team you root for. Do not let a bad and bad is an understatement call ruin your gameplan or your day. The cream rises to the top. Coach Pikiell, the team and the fans know what kind of team we are now. Our faith in them is probably even greater now after what transpired tonight. Pick up the pieces, Seton Hall will not feel sorry for you. Stay focused on what you can do....just remember that ant.

Pick up the pieces, alright
Pick up the pieces, whoo

AND as FANS take this bottled up energy and BRING IT on SUNDAY NIGHT !!!!!!

Reactions: Scarlet83
The NET is going to be fine the worry is getting to 18 wins. Banking this one would've been huge.
I know what you are saying, you never know if you can replicate a steal like this on the road. We have had clunkers vs teams like Minnesota and Northwestern in the past. Still if we win the 4 non conference games that puts us at 10-3, thats pretty good shape given we have already had two games vs top half of the league teams.

Reactions: Scangg
I was "over" the loss the moment the ball went through the basket. Then....I realized what happened and have been livid every since...but you're right. NEXT!

THAT being said....Pikes has put his time in. Time to stop "pussyfooting" around with the B1G officials....he should have INSISTED on a full replay of that video and NOT have let the officials walk away. Most coaches in this conference would NOT have allowed them to do so IMHO.

NOW LET'S DECK THE HALL!!!

Reactions: PatrickRU92
I just LOATHE fouling on the 3...you are up 3 and you have the best defense in the country. Let them beat you
I hear you. If there was less time I'd be for it. Too much time there though.

If you want to foul maybe press a bit or zone trap and force some lateral passing to eat some time first

I hear you. If there was less time I'd be for it. Too much time there though.

If you want to foul maybe press a bit or zone trap and force some lateral passing to eat some time first
That foul was the dumbest thing Pike has done in his entire career here. That was just awful, stupid strategy. If you are in the double bonus.. maybe? In the single bonus. He deserved to lose for that.

Song for this game is Heartbreaker by the mighty Led Zep...refs abuse us a thousand times however hard we try .....can't take your evil away.... go away....

Work so hard I couldn't unwind
Get some money saved
Abuse my love a thousand times
However hard I tried
Heartbreaker; your time has come
Can't take your evil way
Go away, Heartbreaker

Reactions: RUDead
I know what you are saying, you never know if you can replicate a steal like this on the road. We have had clunkers vs teams like Minnesota and Northwestern in the past. Still if we win the 4 non conference games that puts us at 10-3, thats pretty good shape given we have already had two games vs top half of the league teams.
Q1 wins are gold. Road B1G wins against tournament team would check a box already too

We have to account for a potential loss or two to teams we should beat on the road. We could potentially be on the wrong end of a few bad breaks in close games, future injuries, etc

Banking this win now would have been enormous

How many times did RU have the ball and the lead in the last 5 min? Couldn't extend it once from what I remember. Need a killer instinct on the road. Saw it last year at Wisky.

Fouling up 3 all but seals the win if it's done correctly, but there's just too much that gets in the way of doing it correctly, as we saw tonight. Can't set all the parameters when the ball is in play.

Reactions: bac2therac
That foul was the dumbest thing Pike has done in his entire career here. That was just awful, stupid strategy. If you are in the double bonus.. maybe? In the single bonus. He deserved to lose for that.
Single bonus is a huge factor. I think he was confident that Spencer could get the ball. He was open. Paul has shown time and time again that he is too hesitant as an inbounder for some reason

Reactions: fluoxetine
Managing to lose in regulation (and yes, we didn't really, but they had the time to beat us there) up 3 with 7.7 secs left is just hilariously awful.

Reactions: Night Man
Keep in mind the clock doesn’t start until the ball touches someone’s hand, NOT when the ball hits the rim

I thought the clock was about 0.4 to 0.6 slow staring there …but not two seconds
I am counting those 0.6 seconds as well as how little time came off the clock when there were 7 seconds left. They were slow to start the clock there as well.

Managing to lose in regulation (and yes, we didn't really, but they had the time to beat us there) up 3 with 7.7 secs left is just hilariously awful.

I agree with you here....there is no way we should lose up 3 with 7.7..overtime at worst, bad call aside there was plenty of time...5 seconds for OSU to hit a 3

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I'm extra pissed because I was watching this on replay. And I could see there wasn't enough time left on the video for overtime. So when we went up 3 with 7.7 left I figured we had definitely won...

Until we ****ing fouled them like idiots jesus christ

Reactions: RU_kidding_me
I agree with you here....there is no way we should lose up 3 with 7.7..overtime at worst, bad call aside there was plenty of time...5 seconds for OSU to hit a 3
It was a bad move. One he usually doesn’t make and people wrongly go crazy. Ahead 3 play defense. If we had fouls to give (lol) different story.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
ADVERTISEMENT