ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Experience Thread

As always, you need to read what @Upstream says to find out the true theme of a thread.

Some (on both sides) are missing the point here.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Exactly. If the team is winning, fans may overlook a subpar fan experience. But if the team is not winning and the subpar experience becomes magnified.

Since the same issues are raised every year, it would seem Rutgers should be able to figure out a way to address them.

For example, to address the small clutch bag issue, instead of giving security a 4.5x6.5 card and turning away women carrying a clutch a millimeter over the limit, Rutgers should give give security 5x7 cards with the 4.5x6.5 outline drawn on them. Women with clutches bigger than the outline but smaller than the card can be admitted with the warning that their clutch is too big and they might be turned away in the future. If the clutch is bigger than the card, then it is more that 1/2 inch too big, so there is less of an issue turning them away.

Also, communication is important. There would be less frustration if you knew your clutch was too big before you got to the gate. Then you could just leave it in the car before making the long walk to the stadium. That can be addressed with signage around the tailgate area the provide the bag policy and also have actual-size squares the you can hold your bag against to see if it within limits.

The no food or drink policy is tougher, since no one actually believes it is a security measure. (Pro stadiums in the area allow food and drink without security concerns. And while they may have metal detectors, metal detectors don't detect bottles of water.) More likely the food/drink policy is really a contractual requirement with Sodexo, and therefore won't be resolved until the contract ends.

As has been pointed out, rules are rules and everyone should be familiar with them. A couple of comments, however, on the sanity of those rules.

It came to my attention that RU was actually giving away mini-footballs as prizes in the Athlete's Glen / Block Party area. If that's the case, then something is stupid - either the act of giving them away or the act of not allowing them into the stadium. Since it's highly unlikely that people are going to walk back to their cars to stash a tiny replica football, they're going to simply get thrown away at the gate. Lack of foresight, there.

Also, the clutch bag rule is nonsensical. There's absolutely nothing that can be concealed in a woman's clutch that can't be more easily and securely concealed elsewhere on their person. Many stadiums allow regular handbags and simply shunt the bearers to an inspection table where the bags are briefly opened and examined. Citi Field does it this way and it works just fine.

The clear bag idea is perfectly fine, and kudos to RU for actually supplying them to season ticket holders. But they have to let go of the wallet thing. There's simply zero justification for the policy and a security policy without justification is ultimately going to cause problems.

As has been pointed out, rules are rules and everyone should be familiar with them. A couple of comments, however, on the sanity of those rules.

It came to my attention that RU was actually giving away mini-footballs as prizes in the Athlete's Glen / Block Party area. If that's the case, then something is stupid - either the act of giving them away or the act of not allowing them into the stadium. Since it's highly unlikely that people are going to walk back to their cars to stash a tiny replica football, they're going to simply get thrown away at the gate. Lack of foresight, there.

Also, the clutch bag rule is nonsensical. There's absolutely nothing that can be concealed in a woman's clutch that can't be more easily and securely concealed elsewhere on their person. Many stadiums allow regular handbags and simply shunt the bearers to an inspection table where the bags are briefly opened and examined. Citi Field does it this way and it works just fine.

The clear bag idea is perfectly fine, and kudos to RU for actually supplying them to season ticket holders. But they have to let go of the wallet thing. There's simply zero justification for the policy and a security policy without justification is ultimately going to cause problems.

Stuff the mini footballs down your pants and go to a female gate attendant. See if she asks to pat you down.

Great post. Thank you.

And everyone knows that mini footballs were also being given away INSIDE the stadium as well, right? The Horizon booth was giving away goodie bags that included the mini footballs and also pens. Couldnt pens be used as a weapon? Much more likely than my apple, or even a bottle of water.

Agreed. Security for all comes first. These whiners have no idea what goes into security and what goes on behind the scenes of large venue events in today’s world.
Sorry, but several people who have commented negatively in this thread have forgotten more about security than you or I will ever know.
Also, communication is important. There would be less frustration if you knew your clutch was too big before you got to the gate.
That's a huge part of the problem: communication. Rutgers just sucks at that.
The no food or drink policy is tougher, since no one actually believes it is a security measure. ..... More likely the food/drink policy is really a contractual requirement with Sodexo, and therefore won't be resolved until the contract ends.
If they were up front about this than I think people would be far more understanding.
They did that last year - on the way into the stadium they were giving away food items that people weren't allowed to bring into the stadium
And everyone knows that mini footballs were also being given away INSIDE the stadium as well, right? The Horizon booth was giving away goodie bags that included the mini footballs and also pens. Couldnt pens be used as a weapon? Much more likely than my apple, or even a bottle of water.
Brilliant! Only at Rutgers.

For example, to address the small clutch bag issue, instead of giving security a 4.5x6.5 card and turning away women carrying a clutch a millimeter over the limit, Rutgers should give give security 5x7 cards with the 4.5x6.5 outline drawn on them. Women with clutches bigger than the outline but smaller than the card can be admitted with the warning that their clutch is too big and they might be turned away in the future. If the clutch is bigger than the card, then it is more that 1/2 inch too big, so there is less of an issue turning them away

Agree with most of your post but not this.

What happens when they come back the 2nd game with the same purse and don’t get in? Then they’ll get pissed and try and explain that they were allowed in the first game.

What happens when someone comes with a purse that’s 5 x 8 and they don’t get in but the chick with the 5 x 7 purse (which exceeds the policy) got in next to her?

What happens when someone didn’t come to the first game when they were giving out warnings but shows up the 2nd game and isn’t allowed in?

Regardless of whether someone thinks the policy is dumb or not...if they’re going to enforce it they’re better off being consistent and not using discretion. Fans will either learn or if it’s that big of a deal, they’ll stop coming.

The 3-5 females who are usually in my group have never had an issue getting in the past 3 years because they adhere to the policy. It’s not that hard.

Reactions: rubaseball78
If they were up front about this than I think people would be far more understanding.

I don't actually know that the no food/drink policy is due to the Sodexo contract. That is just a guess on my part. But I think most people don't believe that it really has to do with security.

That ShopRite booth in the athletes glen gave out open food on plates last year meant to be consumed on the spot. I don't remember anyone giving out sealed food packages.

Agree with most of your post but not this.

What happens when they come back the 2nd game with the same purse and don’t get in? Then they’ll get pissed and try and explain that they were allowed in the first game.

What happens when someone comes with a purse that’s 5 x 8 and they don’t get in but the chick with the 5 x 7 purse (which exceeds the policy) got in next to her?

What happens when someone didn’t come to the first game when they were giving out warnings but shows up the 2nd game and isn’t allowed in?

Regardless of whether someone thinks the policy is dumb or not...if they’re going to enforce it they’re better off being consistent and not using discretion. Fans will either learn or if it’s that big of a deal, they’ll stop coming.

The 3-5 females who are usually in my group have never had an issue getting in the past 3 years because they adhere to the policy. It’s not that hard.
The point is that the policy (and signage I suggest for the parking lot) still has 4.5x6.5 as the max size. Someone who shows up with a 7 inch clutch is way over the limit, so there less excuse to object to being turned away. But having leeway eliminates the argument when a woman says she measured her clutch at 6.5 inches and the security guard measures it at 6.6 inches.

The point is that the policy (and signage I suggest for the parking lot) still has 4.5x6.5 as the max size. Someone who shows up with a 7 inch clutch is way over the limit, so there less excuse to object to being turned away. But having leeway eliminates the argument when a woman says she measured her clutch at 6.5 inches and the security guard measures it at 6.6 inches.

They make these things in standard sizes. They didn’t just pick 4.5 x 6.5 out of thin air. If you google stadium purses you’ll see.

If one measures at 6.6 inches then it’s the 6.5 size.

You have folks on here thinking that they should be able to bring purses in at 7, 8, 9 inches which is outside of the policy.

Again, it’s really not that difficult.

Allowing discretion for purses 1-2 + inches bigger would only make matters worse imo.

They make these things in standard sizes. They didn’t just pick 4.5 x 6.5 out of thin air. If you google stadium purses you’ll see.

If one measures at 6.6 inches then it’s the 6.5 size.

You have folks on here thinking that they should be able to bring purses in at 7, 8, 9 inches which is outside of the policy.

Again, it’s really not that difficult.

Allowing discretion for purses 1-2 + inches bigger would only make matters worse imo.
Apparently they don't make these things in standard sizes. I just took a tape measure and checked 3 of my wife's wristlet bags. One was 5 inches, one was 6.25, and one was 6.75.

Also, I am not calling for discretion for bags 1-2 inches too big. I am calling for elimination of discretion and instead having all security guards consistently handle bags that are less than one-half inch too big.

Apparently they don't make these things in standard sizes. I just took a tape measure and checked 3 of my wife's wristlet bags. One was 5 inches, one was 6.25, and one was 6.75.

Also, I am not calling for discretion for bags 1-2 inches too big. I am calling for elimination of discretion and instead having all security guards consistently handle bags that are less than one-half inch too big.

Then I agree with that. But even then I don’t think people would be happy and want even more preferential treatment.

There’s multiple examples of people in this thread complaining their significant others weren’t allowed in with purses at 7-8 inches. One person even tried validating that their wife been allowed in for the past 10 years with the same purse which just shows an ignorance and lack of ability to adapt to change as this rule was put into place approx 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:
I don't actually know that the no food/drink policy is due to the Sodexo contract. That is just a guess on my part. But I think most people don't believe that it really has to do with security.
Well, people who have commented in this thread and previous threads who happen to know a lot about security have basically stated that the security risk of a bottle of water is, oh, somewhere up there with t-shirts.

Consistency and being prepared is really what most of us want here.

Then I agree with that. But even then I don’t think people would be happy and want even more preferential treatment.

There’s multiple examples of people in this thread complaining their significant others weren’t allowed in with purses at 7-8 inches. One person even tried validating that their wife been allowed in for the past 10 years with the same purse which just shows an ignorance and lack of ability to adapt to change as this rule was put into place approx 3-4 years ago.
There will be some people who complain, no matter what. But there is a difference between someone complaining that they were turned away with a bag big enough to hold a laptop computer and someone turned away because the seam of a soft-sided wristlet was visible over the edge of the measuring card that the security guard used to measure it.

Separate from the bag size issue, I think the no food/drink policy is bogus and needs to go.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Separate from the bag size issue, I think the no food/drink policy is bogus and needs to go.
Steven Wright used to have a bit were he complained about being kicked out of a movie theater for bringing his own stuff in.

His “stuff” was in a crockpot. LOL

I can see no go on the food. But the water? Not so much.

No offense but isn’t that 2 inches above the policy?

The same policy that is used across the NFL and many big time college stadiums?

This isn’t a new policy but it’s clear they decided to start enforcing it to the nth degree this year.

It sucks but people need to adapt and stop complaining about everything.
Again, they hand out the rules with you tickets, just follow the rules like the other 99.99% of the people and you won’t have an issue

Yes that's me ! 10 years, always like many others here have stated their wife's and girlfriends use them.Women don't always have pockets. Are wristlets really a "security issue"?
Let it die son.

Last edited:
Yes that's me ! 10 years, always like many others here have stated their wife's and girlfriends use them.They have no pockets. Are they really a "security issue"?
Let it die son.

I haven’t talked about the validity of being a “security issue” once.

I’m talking about the people like yourself who think you’re above the policy and can’t change/adapt.

Newsflash...things change after 10 years. The fact that you claim you’re giving up your season tickets/donations because of your ignorance and unwillingness to adapt to a simple policy is sad.

Stop @‘ing and quoting me. I’m done making my point directly with you.

I haven’t talked about the validity of being a “security issue” once.

I’m talking about the people like yourself who think you’re above the policy and can’t change/adapt.

Newsflash...things change after 10 years. The fact that you claim you’re giving up your season tickets/donations because of your ignorance and unwillingness to adapt to a simple policy is sad.

Stop @‘ing and quoting me. I’m done making my point directly with you.
Now IM above policy? Get a Life Kid!
"You do you "

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.

Here is Homeland Security’s Sports Venue Bag Search Procedures Guide. Section 6 covers recommendations for restricted items https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/sports-venue-bag-search-guide-508.pdf. No mention of plastic water or soda bottles or food.

Here is Homeland Security’s Best Practices for sports venues security. Page 102 begins the discussion on stadium entrance procedures for patrons. http://ccicada.org/wp-content/uploa...es-Anti-Terrorism-Security-Resource-Guide.pdf. RU isn’t following a few of the strong recommendations on that page and other pages. That would be consistent with what some posters in the security industry have alluded to when they say that they’ve tried to talk to RU but got nowhere.

Here is RU’s own webpage with a prominent link to the HSA Best Practices. http://ccicada.org/tag/rutgers-university/

Nice job by Phi posting the DHS guidelines for stadium security in a different thread. Ironically, the guidelines were developed at a DHS research center at Rutgers University, and yet Rutgers doesn't follow those guidelines at our stadium.

Gotta agree with S_J. If the reason you are not renewing in future is you wife can’t bring the purse she wants and lines may have been slow, then you are looking for a reason to justify not going.
If he would have read my original post correctly and didn't have such snarky comments I would have been one (post) and done.

Gotta agree with S_J. If the reason you are not renewing in future is you wife can’t bring the purse she wants and lines may have been slow, then you are looking for a reason to justify not going.

His original post is about 1/3rd of the way down on the 2nd page.

I read it nice and clear.

His wife wasn’t let it with a bag that’s 8 inches and exceeds the policy. She’s been bringing it for 10 years though.

So hes going to give up his tickets and stop donating.

Makes a lot of sense.

His wife wasn’t let it with a bag that’s 8 inches and exceeds the policy. She’s been bringing it for 10 years though.

Makes a lot of sense.
I don’t agree with a number of their rules but I go to enjoy the game and enjoy being with friends. People need to just roll with it regarding what you can bring into the stadium and not make yourself miserable.

Makes a lot of sense.
Is there something wrong with you?

I'm always pleased when your wife or an uniformed co-ed wants to see my 6 & 1/2 inches.:cool2:

Back in the old days, long time Rutgers Football Fan here, there was a guy who used to bring in a bullhorn with him to the games.
This was in the 1960s. It was great!! He would make funny comments about the game and was very funny. He also had an accent which only added to how funny it was. He sat near me on the old visitor side of old, old Rutgers Stadium at about the 50 yard line.

How did we go from enjoying someone with a bullhorn in the stands to measuring wallets and stopping mini footballs and bottle caps from coming inside the stadium?!!

Our society needs a huge laxative.

ADVERTISEMENT