ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Experience Thread

Some of you don't know how difficult it is to get the significant other to join us at the games. Anything that upsets their vibe results in they're not going, and then becomes an issue down the road when investing the money in tickets and other stuff.
Is there something wrong with you?
That was a rhetorical question, right?

Some of you don't know how difficult it is to get the significant other to join us at the games. Anything that upsets their vibe results in they're not going, and then becomes an issue down the road when investing the money in tickets and other stuff.

That was a rhetorical question, right?
Yes of course.

People who complain, complain on the internet.
People who are happy usually don't express their happiness on the internet. Count us in the happy camp.
We were mildly annoyed when they would not let my wife bring in 2 protein bars for snacks. There is really nothing on the menu we have seen at the stadium that we would want to eat, and while there was a new healthy option with Horizon Blue Cross/Blue shield, the general experience at ANY stadium of getting up out of your seat to wade through crowds, stand in line, purchase your food etc. is not worth it to us to purchase food.

We, and many of the people in our section get to the game 15-30 minutes early and we do not leave our seats for the entire game. We are there to watch the game, and for us, you can't get the same feeling sitting in the comfort of your home (probably alone, or with a couple of other people) as sitting and watching the action live. Maybe it is being part of something larger than yourself. The feeling that you are participating, making noise on third down and helping the team by cheering. It is part of being a fan, and there is no better feeling than doing it for your alma mater. It is really irreplaceable.

But some people find a way to make it about themselves and their special need is more important than the safety and security of the 30,000, 40,000 or 50,000 other people, players, the band and people working at the stadium. The rules are really not that hard to follow.

Whenever I go to a new venue for a concert or sporting event, I go online and read the venue's rules to make sure I don't have any hassles on the way in. Maybe I am unique that way, but based on some posts here, it seems I am not.

There will always be those people who want to complain because they don't read the rules or don't want to follow them. I bend them at RU by sneaking waters in because I don't want to be bothered to get up to buy water at $4/bottle. If they discover my hidden water, I will drink it before going into the stadium and pee in the diaper I wear under my clothes so that I don't have to get up and interrupt my enjoyment of the game.

That last part was sarcasm. Even when I need to go, I wait for a TV timeout, shoot up the stairs, hit the bathrroom and I am back in my seat before play resumes.

you can easily get protein bars in...where they padding you down, just put in your pocket and walk in or do you both wear pants with no pockets

you can easily get protein bars in...where they padding you down, just put in your pocket and walk in or do you both wear pants with no pockets

I wear yoga pants. :grimace: Actually, my wife had the bars in our clear plastic bag and got flagged. I was standing next to a MCSO when she said she would eat her bar before going in, and I told her to put the other one in her pocket. The MCSO laughed and winked. They are not all bad. I had just joked to him about bringing a steamer trunk in and told him that they had a difficult job and I appreciate them keeping fans safe. :sunglasses:

They make these things in standard sizes. They didn’t just pick 4.5 x 6.5 out of thin air. If you google stadium purses you’ll see.

If one measures at 6.6 inches then it’s the 6.5 size.

You have folks on here thinking that they should be able to bring purses in at 7, 8, 9 inches which is outside of the policy.

Again, it’s really not that difficult.

Allowing discretion for purses 1-2 + inches bigger would only make matters worse imo.

Explain one more time, because a lot of us don’t understand. If a woman brings a 7 inch purse into the stadium, how is it danger to Homeland Security? I don’t really think it is, so explain it clearly,

Explain one more time, because a lot of us don’t understand. If a woman brings a 7 inch purse into the stadium, how is it danger to Homeland Security? I don’t really think it is, so explain it clearly,

Dude that’s not my point.

My point is about the people in this thread who think they’re above a policy that’s been in place for at least 3 years and get bent out of shape to the point of giving up their tickets because their significant other was turned down at the gate for being in violation of said policy.

These people are a bunch of whiners and I don’t feel bad that they can’t adhere to a simple rule.

If they tried to get into an NFL game they would be denied as well.

Name another stadium where they're measuring wallets and turning away guests who are 1/4" over the mark.

We'll wait.
this was the most un-freakin believable thing I think I have ever seen in 40+ years of going to concerts, ball games, and events. Total embarrassment.

Reactions: Local Shill
Back in the old days, long time Rutgers Football Fan here, there was a guy who used to bring in a bullhorn with him to the games.
This was in the 1960s. It was great!! He would make funny comments about the game and was very funny. He also had an accent which only added to how funny it was. He sat near me on the old visitor side of old, old Rutgers Stadium at about the 50 yard line.

How did we go from enjoying someone with a bullhorn in the stands to measuring wallets and stopping mini footballs and bottle caps from coming inside the stadium?!!

Our society needs a huge laxative.
Remember, security firms benefit from tighter security measures. More staff, larger contracts. These firms could give two craps about the fans. Only Rutgers administration can change these absurd rules.

Dude that’s not my point.

My point is about the people in this thread who think they’re above a policy that’s been in place for at least 3 years and get bent out of shape to the point of giving up their tickets because their significant other was turned down at the gate for being in violation of said policy.

These people are a bunch of whiners and I don’t feel bad that they can’t adhere to a simple rule.

If they tried to get into an NFL game they would be denied as well.
Answer his question.

Okay. I haven't read most of this thread and I don't usually gripe but I left the game after we went up 35-7 thinking that I could get me and my 89 year old mom back to the purple lot on one of the golf carts. She's surprisingly spry for her age but still... I wasn't so much annoyed at the size of the line but at the large percentage of young able-bodied people in line... Like 90% of those in line or more. I can understand some people in the same family riding with someone who needs the transport, but entire families were hogging up the carts and often no-one really looked like they needed it. Anyway, that's really the only negative of my experience on Saturday.

Okay. I haven't read most of this thread and I don't usually gripe but I left the game after we went up 35-7 thinking that I could get me and my 89 year old mom back to the purple lot on one of the golf carts. She's surprisingly spry for her age but still... I wasn't so much annoyed at the size of the line but at the large percentage of young able-bodied people in line... Like 90% of those in line or more. I can understand some people in the same family riding with someone who needs the transport, but entire families were hogging up the carts and often no-one really looked like they needed it. Anyway, that's really the only negative of my experience on Saturday.

that has now been happening for years. it started few years ago. it is a shame but these are the same people who get or use their grandma's handicapped tag at the local stores.

Remember, security firms benefit from tighter security measures. More staff, larger contracts. These firms could give two craps about the fans. Only Rutgers administration can change these absurd rules.

It's about following the posted rules

Well, this explains why the lines to get in were crazy. They really need a "bag line." It look a solid 15 minutes just in line- it got real bad last year and only worse now. What will conference games be like?

Also, they had issues with the scanner. Guy scanned my ticket like 10 times and finally just let me in.

One positive- the New Era hat stand is cool. Both that stand and the regular RU stands had some nice gear. I picked up a new hat with NJ outline.

why not 2 bag lines and a "no bag line"...also was it me but the scanners were not working on the freebie 8x11 print at home tickets given to season ticket holders...I did complete my survey and noted the dissatisfaction with ticket entrance...

It's about following the posted rules

So you are saying it has nothing to do with Homeland Security, actually I never thought it was. Your opinion is that it is just a way to inconvenience fans? I tend to agree with you, but how does that benefit Rutgers???

Reactions: RUsSKii
Yeah, not sure about that last part as I think those kids doing this are volunteering or doing it for work study.

why not 2 bag lines and a "no bag line"...also was it me but the scanners were not working on the freebie 8x11 print at home tickets given to season ticket holders...I did complete my survey and noted the dissatisfaction with ticket entrance...

because it makes WAY too much sense and what is done at other venues.
last year game one was sending the old ladies back because they had a seat cushion. This year they sent them back because their purse was a few inches bigger and nobody wanted to look in them. (and sorry, these older folk aren't scanning the RU stadium policy site to pre-check for stupid a$$ Rutgers stuff).

Reactions: kcg88 and RUaMoose
Well, people who have commented in this thread and previous threads who happen to know a lot about security have basically stated that the security risk of a bottle of water is, oh, somewhere up there with t-shirts.
Wet t-shirts could actually pose a security risk. I'm just saying.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Beat OSU and then crush Kansas and they could do open air strip searches and fill the stadium against Buffalo. Make it to the B1G championship game and they could institute public anal probes for hidden weapons and contraband and there would still be a real waiting list for season tickets. This is only an issue because we are currently a bottom feeder.
Anal probes for bottom feeders? :)

It appears I'm in the minority, but I didn't find a whole lot to complain about.

- I did see some police walking through the yellow lot, but not very many and all seemed to be in good moods and weren't hassling anybody.

- I had no problems entering the stadium, although the lines moved slowly the way they always seem to do at the first home game every season. I sometimes sneak in a bottle of water, but didn't try in this game and some folks w/us were told to toss their bottled water. This is nothing new, though.

- There were several very lovely and friendly young lady police-women (or security guards, not sure which) working the lines by the Audi club entrance. This I love.

- Up next to section 224, the food service was relatively quick and painless. I don't often get much other than water bottles though.

- I get the RU seat cushions and while they seem very cushy, due to greater thickness than last season, the back is equally thick and maybe ought not to be because it pushes me farther forward on my seat than I'd prefer. Not a big deal, but as long as we're bitching about things, this would probably be the only quibble I have.

Reactions: rutobls
water bottle restrictions are probably due to the agreement with the food supplier.
Most stadiums "relax" and allow attendees to bring in 1 unopen water bottle during hot days to prevent a large rush during the first 20 mins and also for health reasons until someone is in their seat..
I just don't see the changes on entrance to stadium and food services as something that shouldn't be immediately addressed and rectified..
you should not run out of pretzels in the 3rd quarter in a half empty stadium...

Reactions: LadyRU09
that has now been happening for years. it started few years ago. it is a shame but these are the same people who get or use their grandma's handicapped tag at the local stores.
America is full of overweight..actually obese...lazy people. Its really appalling when you compare to average people just 50 yrs ago.

Reactions: chrisru99
America is full of overweight..actually obese...lazy people. Its really appalling when you compare to average people just 50 yrs ago.

sorry, has absolutely ZERO to do with it. I am well overweight and would Crawl before using a handicapped spot. I have seen every race, color, age, and shape taking advantage of this. LAZY. 100%! but not just cause some of them are fat.

I even see vans for businesses that support handicapped using the spots when NOBODY is in them other than the person driving the vehicle....who is 100% NOT in need.

I had a conversation about all of this at the radio show tonight. Rutgers has read the threads & the comments and they are having a big meeting tomorrow to discuss & address & hopefully make some positive adjustments for the next home game.
Still haven’t gotten my post game email with the survey.

I had a conversation about all of this at the radio show tonight. Rutgers has read the threads & the comments and they are having a big meeting tomorrow to discuss & address & hopefully make some positive adjustments for the next home game.
You are truly the Screw of the people!

Mrs Screw that is great news. Under the present system University and Atletics dept. look unorganized and unprofessional. Overall I think this crew is doing a phenomenal job, I think they shouldn't have any problem rectifying the situation to make game day more enjoyable for the fans.

I was one of those who filled out the survey and gave them an earful, mainly about the outside food and drink policy. I requested a phone call, none received yer (last year when I requested a call I got one the next day).

Mrs Screw that is great news. Under the present system University and Atletics dept. look unorganized and unprofessional. Overall I think this crew is doing a phenomenal job, I think they shouldn't have any problem rectifying the situation to make game day more enjoyable for the fans.
Agree with the bold and underlined. And to me that's the worst part.

Also agree they are trying.

Last edited:
I was one of those who filled out the survey and gave them an earful, mainly about the outside food and drink policy. I requested a phone call, none received yer (last year when I requested a call I got one the next day).

I'm going to guess they were inundated with complaints & no one is getting a call. Just my guess.

I'm going to guess they were inundated with complaints & no one is getting a call. Just my guess.

Certainly plausible. With there being two upcoming road games, that's two Saturdays off and close to 3 weeks before having to be ready to implement some solutions to the issues raised. Let's hope there's a solid plan in place and that it is executed as best as possible starting on the 22nd, the first of three consecutive home games.

Certainly plausible. With there being two upcoming road games, that's two Saturdays off and close to 3 weeks before having to be ready to implement some solutions to the issues raised. Let's hope there's a solid plan in place and that it is executed as best as possible starting on the 22nd, the first of three consecutive home games.

as I said, they have read the boards, both this one and TOS, as well as the Facebook page. He asked me to send him some specific screen shots last night, which I did. I also included the links to threads on this board and the RT for good measure. They have a "big meeting" planned today to discuss the issues and come up with methods to adjust going forward.
I made the following suggestions:
1. other teams in the B1G send a copy of the stadium/bag policies with their one off tickets. RU does not, so a random fan purchasing a ticket has to know to look for policies online..which we know does not happen. RU needs to include stadium policies with all ticket purchases..not just season tix
2. while there were signs up in front of the stadium about the bag policy they were located in such a way that they were easy to not see (if that makes sense) depending on where you walked into the stadium. I suggested they go back to the flashing signs from last year as well as have information placed in more prominent and visible spots around the stadium.
3. He was unaware of the soda debacle until I told him about it last night..he was going to look into that
4. @e5fdny I discussed at length the lack of everything on the upper concourse. Not sure what will come of it but I discuss it every chance I get.

I hadn't seen this additional feedback prior to sending in my survey today...#procrastination or just didn't expect much from it. Needless to say they got yet 1 more piece of mind...

I thought this was what the fan feedback group was all about. Why put something in place and not appear to use it....which is worse than not asking in the 1st place. They should VET all new stuff in advance.

ADVERTISEMENT