ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Operations - SUGGESTIONS FOR RU PLANNERS to stop turning off tens of thousands of fans

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
Let me start with my perspective is from a 16+ year season ticket holder. I've parked in nearly every lot and experienced game day from many different approaches.

For the Howard game, met some friends on college ave and thought we'd take the bus over. We've done this before, but its been a few years. It shed a lot of light on things.

1. Taking the bus from College Ave to the student entrance was a 49 minute ride inside the bus. 7 minute wait to get onto the bus.
Listen, I get it, it was a Thursday and rush hour. BUT COME ON NOW! No wonder why students don't want to come to the games. Almost an hour to just get to the gate! It was an absolute buzz kill and frustrating to say the least. Rutgers and its partners in NB/Piscataway need to come up with a bus only lane to transport on game day. We need to make this experience fast and easy. Not an absolute nightmare for students experience. These are your customers for the next 50+ years!! Figure it out and make it a great experience! Not one that they avoid at all costs.

2. Bag lines are an absolute joke. OVERHAUL THE ENTIRE APPROACH TOWARDS BAGS!!!
We approached the student entrance side gate. One woman in our group had the R issued clear bag. She is stopped and pointed in the direction of a massive line that goes up a hill and you couldn't even see the end of it. Had to be 45-60+ min wait in that line to have your bag checked. Thankfully she pointed to her pregant stomach and we had a reasonable understanding person who just checked the clear bag and let us go. But think about it. If a female student left college ave at 5pm, she wouldn't have made it into the game until 7pm or later. How on gods earth is that a reasonable experience ?!? Checking bags at the stadium went from a quick thing to now a day ruining experience.

3. Positives
- food lines and service was pretty good. Food quality remains eh.
- Having beer in the stadium is still amazing. Especially a night like that.
- I love the change to utilizing the full big screen during timeouts . The quality is so much better when its using the full wide view. Really pops. Good game day update there.
- Way too much piped in music on the PA. Let's use the band a much higher percent of the time !!!! Make it a college atmosphere. We've all heard the same corny stadium songs 100's of times already.
- Thank you for not using the train horn for every single 3rd down.

#1 and #2 above must be fixed dramatically and with absolute urgency. Totally unacceptable to be losing fans like that

Students can walk to the stadium over landing lane bridge. Problem Solved.
Many people already do, including myself for some games. On top of the pedestrian infrastructure approaching the bridge on the NB side not being the greatest, bus shuttles *should* have the capability to move 100x more people, over the 1.25 mile distance from College Ave to the Stadium, in half the time it takes to walk.

Problem exists.

Many people already do, including myself for some games. On top of the pedestrian infrastructure approaching the bridge on the NB side not being the greatest, bus shuttles *should* have the capability to move 100x more people, over the 1.25 mile distance from College Ave to the Stadium, in half the time it takes to walk.

Problem exists.
Come on! Taking the bus to the stadium, and waiting 60 minutes, is the dumbest thing ever, especially when you can walk to the stadium within 20 minutes, from the barn. Kids have legs. They should get out and smell the fresh air.

Problem exists.
are we saying a bus going 1.25 miles took almost an hour?

from where? Why do you assume everyone is on College Ave? Just busing to CA campus from Cook Douglas would add time to walking over too.

I think choosing a bus last night was a problem.. because everyone knows what rush hour is like everywhere in New Jersey.

If teh same thing occurs on a Saturday.. then we have problems.

Now.. where the hell is the monorail or light rail that has been rumored by politicians for decades and decades?

If there was s simple monorail that ran from stadium lots to train station, as a start, then we could have a commuter lot there and reduce traffic INTO New Brunswick for the train and also use it on game days for fans.

Somebody.. ANYBODY! go get it done.

The bag check line was INSANE. Heads should roll for that total RU screw!!

After the game, the line was indescribable.
Yeah.. we all saw this coming seeing the "new security procedures" notice. How about we remove ALL security procedures and take our chances with cops watching crowds and pulling people out of line to check as they see fit. Yeah.. they will single out people by how they look and people will complain.. but so what. how about we just not listen to those complaints instead of hassling everyone equally.

And we can make a reward for being singled out and checked.. like skipping the line entirely.

I walked by this on the way to the yellow lot and was shocked how bad it was. Several hundred people on line, and people at the front of the line were like a mob holding up their claim tickets for their bags, desperately hoping to get helped.

If anyone stood on that line, how long did it take after the game?

I'm not a student obviously, but maybe Rutgers can do a better job of promoting the short walk to the stadium. I'm assuming that this problem is magnified the most due to it being a mid week, rush hour game. Is it that bad on a Saturday?

Reactions: ScarletDave
GWQQehSWQAAQV3F

The mobile lockers truck was a complete disaster. The freshmen students, mostly girls, had their purses with them, partly that it was the first game, partly that it was right after freshman orientation at the stadium. However, then hundreds of them had to check their bag at the mobile locker - except, this “mobile lockers” was a tiny box truck, with 1 person manning a table tagging each individual bag. These poor kids probably missed the whole first half, waited an hour after the game to get their bag, and wont come back now. What a disaster, if you’re going to have the worlds tightest bag policy at a college stadium, you need to have more than 1 person and a tiny box truck to collect 5000 bags .. feel horrible for these kids, and wont complain about a half empty student section next week.

GWQQehYWYAEpN4j
GWQQehQWgAAaMYr

from where? Why do you assume everyone is on College Ave? Just busing to CA campus from Cook Douglas would add time to walking over too.

I think choosing a bus last night was a problem.. because everyone knows what rush hour is like everywhere in New Jersey.

If teh same thing occurs on a Saturday.. then we have problems.

Now.. where the hell is the monorail or light rail that has been rumored by politicians for decades and decades?

If there was s simple monorail that ran from stadium lots to train station, as a start, then we could have a commuter lot there and reduce traffic INTO New Brunswick for the train and also use it on game days for fans.

Somebody.. ANYBODY! go get it done.
We’re talking about students, not invalids.

Yes, it takes time to take the bus from cook/douglas to college ave.

Then They can walk from College Ave. it’s not so bad. Better than taking the bus and being stuck in traffic. Or they can walk to college Ave, have a meal at stuff your face, then walk to the stadium.

By the time they fix the bus commute, we’ll all be dead.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Come on! Taking the bus to the stadium, and waiting 60 minutes, is the dumbest thing ever, especially when you can walk to the stadium within 20 minutes, from the barn. Kids have legs. They should get out and smell the fresh air.
You're not understanding what I'm saying, but its pretty simple really. Has nothing to do with kids having legs and being able to walk, but everything to do with logistics and sheer numbers. A bus that carries 60 people at 25 mph should get those people over the same distance much faster than 1 person walking at 3 mph if done properly.

Further - have you ever made the walk over Landing Lane? Now quadruple that number of people (just a guess on shuttle users) and imagine that amount of people trying to fit over the sidewalk on the bridge, intermingling with traffic, etc...

Trust me Al, you're out of your wheelhouse here.

You're not understanding what I'm saying, but its pretty simple really. Has nothing to do with kids having legs and being able to walk, but everything to do with logistics and sheer numbers. A bus that carries 60 people at 25 mph should get those people over the same distance much faster than 1 person walking at 3 mph if done properly.

Further - have you ever made the walk over Landing Lane? Now quadruple that number of people (just a guess on shuttle users) and imagine that amount of people trying to fit over the sidewalk on the bridge, intermingling with traffic, etc...

Al has a wheelhouse ?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I’m 10000% for people getting out in the world and moving their bodies. For sure walk to the stadium if you’re able to, which 95% are able to.
With that said, obviously you have to remove friction that prevents students from attending and staying the whole game. Find the points of resistance and fix what you can, especially the big ones.
I’m shocked if quickness to get to/from the game and now the checked bags, aren’t both in the top 5 and both fixable.
As somebody else pointed out…. these are your future paying customers! Get them hooked while you have the chance!!!

- Way too much piped in music on the PA. Let's use the band a much higher percent of the time !!!! Make it a college atmosphere. We've all heard the same corny stadium songs 100's of times already.
- Thank you for not using the train horn for every single 3rd down.

People have been complaining about the piped music for years. They don't listen. I was not at the game but was told there was less train horn at least. Next they need to reduce/eliminate the ozzy osbourne scream.

I understand what you’re saying but you’re not getting what I’m saying.

Some problems are simply intractable. What you don’t seem to understand is that It’s not a priority for Rutgers to solve this problem. This wasn’t the first time students took a bus to a football game. And waxing poetic about what should be is a waste of time.

Yes it might take longer for people to travel over landing lane bridge if more people use it. But so what, it takes longer. It still beats waiting on a bus.

I understand what you’re saying but you’re not getting what I’m saying.

Some problems are simply intractable. What you don’t seem to understand is that It’s not a priority for Rutgers to solve this problem. This wasn’t the first time students took a bus to a football game. And waxing poetic about what should be is a waste of time.

Yes it might take longer for people to travel over landing lane bridge if more people use it. But so what, it takes longer. It still beats waiting on a bus.
there is also the simple truth that we all know what traffic is like at that time. you got to plan better or just make the walk.

Al to be fair that has never happened even back in my years.

We're talking about a student body that will take a bus from the Cook Campus Center to the Douglass Library, or from the River Dorms to the train station...but they're going to all walk to the stadium from the RU Student Center. Got it. I made that walk plenty of times when my crew pregame on College Ave. It's a hike and not flat and plenty of sections where you're walking basically inches from traffic. There's no easy way to do dedicated bus lanes, but it could be done if someone really wanted to. Route 1 has electronic signs imploring drivers to find alternate routes due to RU Football. Those routes shouldn't be getting off the highway to take surface roads that are adjacent to the stadium.

Interesting thread. My son probably knows all this stuff, but I hadn't heard of that bridge.

I know the lines must suck, but overall those pictures make the stadium area look pretty sweet...

If you are talking about the line to check bags because they were not allowed in the stadium, yes, the line was crazy. 3/4 of the line, however, were some of the 7,000 students that were bussed over after convocation & obviously not told certain bags weren't allowed.

There was always a bag check line, it was just next to the no bag line. Why it has to be a certain entrance is beyond me.
That being said, I wore a sweatshirt with outside & inside pockets, put all my crap in my pockets, including my folded up clear bag & walked right thru the no bag line. As soon as I got past the ticket check I pulled the bag out and emptied all of my pockets.

Fortunately, I can't speak to the bus situation.

Well, in his first sentence he says he is a 16 plus season ticket holder . Not every person that goes from New Brunswick to the stadium is a student. He also had a pregnant person in his group. I get it , it’s a nice walk through the parks. But not everyone can walk or wants to walk.

We’re talking about students, not invalids.

Yes, it takes time to take the bus from cook/douglas to college ave.

Then They can walk from College Ave. it’s not so bad. Better than taking the bus and being stuck in traffic. Or they can walk to college Ave, have a meal at stuff your face, then walk to the stadium.

By the time they fix the bus commute, we’ll all be dead.
OP mentions an obvious issue.. at least for weekday games.. and you just brush it aside. Good job. You complain about people not being in their seats and brush aside and criticism that might help people get into their seats.

Good job.

If the goal is to get more students into the stadium the solution is not to tell them to walk.
1. The first solution is to figure out how to get the buses to operate better.
2. Landing Lane bridge is not the best option. It’s out of the way from college Ave.
3. Long term solution is to build a new pedestrian bridge closer to College Ave that leads to Johnson Park.
4. A small bridge over River Road from Johnson park would help the River Road traffic move smoother.
5. Redo the bag policy. Yesterday was a mess because the freshman were out all day at events with their bags and went directly to the stadium. Next game they will leave their bags in the dorms when they come to the game. But the bag check needs to move faster.

This needs to be fixed if they want to improve attendance. The place was half full last night and it was a mess. What will happen if 52k actual show up. The fan experience needs to improve.

I got a solution. Play entertaining football in the first half. There has been alot of awful football I have witnessed in the all the years of attending games. That half given our talent was one of the lamest and least fun halves i have witnessed. Its the home opener where you want to set the tone and strut yourselves for the fanbase. Instead the team bored everyone to the exits

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Just before reading this post I was thinking , gee ,it was really fun to be at the game last night . Now note I had to leave NY 4 hours before kickoff to get to game 30 minutes before kickoff. Stuck in traffic on FDR, stuck in NJ, stuck on Rte. 18 but walked easily into stadium, no wait, from yellow lot and left easily after game.Student crowd was amazing. Sometimes I can't understand all the complaints. Taking a bus from college ave?? No way unless you understand you have to get bus early.By the way if they had bus lanes for game goers imagine the revolt from those just trying to get home from work . Monorail?? Great if NJ and Ru had unlimited $ but can you imagine NJ taxpayers especially those that don't want to spend a dollar on RU.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Just before reading this post I was thinking , gee ,it was really fun to be at the game last night . Now note I had to leave NY 4 hours before kickoff to get to game 30 minutes before kickoff. Stuck in traffic on FDR, stuck in NJ, stuck on Rte. 18 but walked easily into stadium, no wait, from yellow lot and left easily after game.Student crowd was amazing. Sometimes I can't understand all the complaints. Taking a bus from college ave?? No way unless you understand you have to get bus early.By the way if they had bus lanes for game goers imagine the revolt from those just trying to get home from work . Monorail?? Great if NJ and Ru had unlimited $ but can you imagine NJ taxpayers especially those that don't want to spend a dollar on RU.
That's right.. NJ only has money for rail projects that benefit Bergen County and Camden and Mercer politicians' landowner families, friends and developers. They do have money to handle the ways to reject every other proposal.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Interesting thread.

Next Saturday, I'm going to the Akron game. Plan A was to take NJ Transit from New York Penn Station to New Brunswick with my bike, then ride my bike to the stadium, locking it up in the scarlet lot. However, NJT does not allow bikes on Northeast Corridor trains, except on weekends from 1pm to 4pm and 8pm to 9am.

So I'll walk from the train station to the stadium. Google Maps says 1.9 miles. That takes me about 35 minutes. College Avenue ends at the beginning of a sidewalk that crosses the river. The sidewalk is built into the Route 18 bridge. On the Piscataway side, a walking path connects the sidewalk to Johnson Park, across River Road from the stadium.

Maybe Ryan Pisarri's first accomplishment as interim athletic director can be fixing the game day experience in time for the Akron game.

Interesting thread.

Next Saturday, I'm going to the Akron game. Plan A was to take NJ Transit from New York Penn Station to New Brunswick with my bike, then ride my bike to the stadium, locking it up in the scarlet lot. However, NJT does not allow bikes on Northeast Corridor trains, except on weekends from 1pm to 4pm and 8pm to 9am.

So I'll walk from the train station to the stadium. Google Maps says 1.9 miles. That takes me about 35 minutes. College Avenue ends at the beginning of a sidewalk that crosses the river. The sidewalk is built into the Route 18 bridge. On the Piscataway side, a walking path connects the sidewalk to Johnson Park, across River Road from the stadium.

Maybe Ryan Pisarri's first accomplishment as interim athletic director can be fixing the game day experience in time for the Akron game.
I would walk up Easton and through bucceluch park, across landing lane bridge, and then through Johnson park.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT