ADVERTISEMENT

Game day ops and experience, Iowa edition

on the entrance, I'd like to see a bit more of a pause from schiano/team at the opening of the tunnel before they actually run out. They used to always do that (jumping/getting psyched up for 20-30 seconds then running), but feel like in recent games its been almost immediate---appearing then running out.

cell/wifi service - first time where we couldnt even get the R app to work to pull up parking pass or tickets. Had to go to will call to get printed tix for game. Text messages werent going through from yellow lot (on dataplan). Tried connecting to wifi in the stadium and it would go on for abit then stop and id have to re-login to it numerous times. I imagine going into league play with more in attendance this will be the norm.

re: the food trucks - id imagine some of the trucks could depending on item cook much more in advance and then heat continually+finish them off upon order------i mean look at the steak sandwich spots in philly----lines are super long but take 5-10 min tops and you've ordered and got your food. Which are the trucks that have the mega lines/waits (food wise)?

entering the stadium - specific to the gate E/open fence door entry. The lines get pretty backed up to the point that the 2 entry spot lines blend into each other and cause gridlock and many dont even realize which direction they're going in. On top of which that blur gets heightened because you have one large mass of people but they're not in a position to move over to a bag/no bag line. I think some of that could be alleviated pretty easily with some dividers or something to delineate the diff paths to take.
Separately, they still havent resolved a handicap-friendly way for people to get from the riverroad side to the fan activities on other end by blue/yellow lots. Maybe have a cart going up/down that hill taking people from RR to scarlet lot who can't get up the hill otherwise? Maybe have a shuttle that you can take from one side to the other? Maybe have shuttle from train or college ave do double stops at river road and other side vs just 1 spot?

Overall i feel like the pre-game vibe has improved though.
There is a shuttle in Johnson Park for that. Looks like a medium size party bus…van front, 20 seater(?).

Not sure who you need to reach out to but it was there the last two games.

When we used it with my Dad it was a long ride to get from the front (River Road) to the other Lots. We didn’t go up the ramp and I don’t think we used Stuphen Road either.

Last edited:
New LED light system is awesome. It really elevates the game day experience and has a premium, big time feeling. Hat tip to @RutgersFan for lobbying for this on here early last season.
I enjoyed the upgrade, bringing us in line with the top stadiums in the country. Thanks for the hat tip, @Leonard23

Reactions: Leonard23
Years ago the cannon was used for this…a countdown.

As for the second part, I think they did away with that awhile ago.
That’s right, train horn a bit better for that I think.

Cannon for scores IMO. TD, fans cheer band plays, things calm down a bit. Boom cannon.

There is a shuttle in Johnson Park for that. Looks like a medium size party bus…van front, 20 seater(?).

Not sure who you need to reach out to but it was there the last two games.

When we used it with my Dad it was a long ride to get from the front (River Road) to the other Lots. We didn’t go up the ramp and I don’t think we used Stuphen Road either.
thank you for the tip! ill inquire.

There are other sports besides football and other things it's based on then sports.

They would tell you their "rival" is OSU which unless it's cover up based isn't reality
I promise you no one from Penn state cares about Doug Graber getting mad at Joe at midfield during the mid 90’s or whatever it was. As for the Sandusky scandal, the entire country hates Penn state for that. Rutgers isn’t unique in their disdain for their actions during that era. The entire country was repulsed by it. So no, you cannot say Rutgers has a unique hatred of them based on that as the entire country does as well.

I work with Penn staters, I’ve tried riling them up during weeks of our games. They don’t give a hoot about Rutgers.. point blank. They see Rutgers as an ‘easy win’. That’s all we are to them at this point, and quite honestly all we will remain to them until we beat them.

calling a school who owns a 29-2 record over you your ‘rival’ is one of the saddest, most desperate little brother reactions I’ve ever seen in sports. We may WANT to be their rival, that’s fine, but it takes two to tango, and these games have been a one way street. Heck outside of 14’ we’re yet to play them since joining the BIG and not get blown off the field… that ain’t no rivalry, that’s big brother kicking little brothers a*s

Reactions: RUskoolie
I promise you no one from Penn state cares about Doug Graber getting mad at Joe at midfield during the mid 90’s or whatever it was. As for the Sandusky scandal, the entire country hates Penn state for that. Rutgers isn’t unique in their disdain for their actions during that era. The entire country was repulsed by it. So no, you cannot say Rutgers has a unique hatred of them based on that as the entire country does as well.

I work with Penn staters, I’ve tried riling them up during weeks of our games. They don’t give a hoot about Rutgers.. point blank. They see Rutgers as an ‘easy win’. That’s all we are to them at this point, and quite honestly all we will remain to them until we beat them.

calling a school who owns a 29-2 record over you your ‘rival’ is one of the saddest, most desperate little brother reactions I’ve ever seen in sports. We may WANT to be their rival, that’s fine, but it takes two to tango, and these games have been a one way street. Heck outside of 14’ we’re yet to play them since joining the BIG and not get blown off the field… that ain’t no rivalry, that’s big brother kicking little brothers a*s

Yeah ok. We beat them in basketball last year. We have to deal with their insufferable fans more than anyone aside from Pitt.

Sorry, it's not stopping because of your opinion, a loud horn, or anything else.

Reactions: redking and RU-AGK
Yeah ok. We beat them in basketball last year. We have to deal with their insufferable fans more than anyone aside from Pitt.

Sorry, it's not stopping because of your opinion, a loud horn, or anything else.
God bless you for taking the time and hitting reply.

I've typed out short novellas to this guy trying to explain it's about more than sports, but in the end figured it was pointless and stopped short of posting. It's really clear from what he posts he simply doesn't get it.

I've typed out short novellas to this guy trying to explain it's about more than sports, but in the end figured it was pointless and stopped short of posting. It's really clear from what he posts he simply doesn't get it.
Agreed. Rivalry is more than 1 weekend a year in the fall. PSU fans will say it only matters in football and that RU wins in basketball, soccer, lacrosse etc... don't matter until PSU wins and the dregs pop up everywhere on this board or in the supermarket. Is it a rivalry in football? probably not. But it is a competition and rivalry every other metric.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

Or something else…😉

Bro,

this is a football board. Penn state gets more fans for woman’s volleyball matches than basketball. That’s fine if you wanna yell FPS, I could care less. It’s incredibly desperate and oozes little brother complex that they take up that much real estate in some of our fans heads that every 3rd down regardless of opponent they get mentioned. But hey, if your ok with having little brother syndrome, have at it!

Reactions: mikebal9
Bro,

this is a football board. Penn state gets more fans for woman’s volleyball matches than basketball. That’s fine if you wanna yell FPS, I could care less. It’s incredibly desperate and oozes little brother complex that they take up that much real estate in some of our fans heads that every 3rd down regardless of opponent they get mentioned. But hey, if your ok with having little brother syndrome, have at it!

Shouldn't you be on their board? Just remember don't criticize Joe Pa or you will be banned lmao

Reactions: redking and TRU2RU
Schiano 2.0 team entrance has been a major disappointment. It is very disjointed with a video playing and then a few different song snippets. Honestly, Flood and Ash had much better hype as the team was coming out. Its crazy to me that we cant get that right.

Schiano 2.0 team entrance has been a major disappointment. It is very disjointed with a video playing and then a few different song snippets. Honestly, Flood and Ash had much better hype as the team was coming out. Its crazy to me that we cant get that right.
Ash's entrance was the worst I ever saw. Team would run out like 15 minutes early to dozens of people. Guy was totally clueless as a HC.

Reactions: Leonard23
Shouldn't you be on their board? Just remember don't criticize Joe Pa or you will be banned lmao
Why would I be on their board? I’m mentioning how I don’t care about them while you’re defending allowing them to take up enough of our fans head space that every 3rd down regardless of opponent they get brought up…. How sad is it during a Rutgers/Michigan game that our fans are still that obsessed with them that you hear FPS… what are we even doing? This isn’t a historic rivalry either like Mich/OSU, Auburn/Alabama, Texas/A&M…. This is a series where won team owns a 29-2 record over their opponent and the team with 2 wins in 31 tries references the other team every single game day regardless of opponent…. It’s one of the most embarrassing little brother complexes in all of sports. And no, you will not find a single penn stater who when asked which school they hate the most would answer ‘Rutgers’. It’s embarrassingly desperate

Last edited:
Why would I be on their board? I’m mentioning how I don’t care about them while you’re defending allowing them to take up enough of our fans head space that every 3rd down regardless of opponent they get brought up…. How sad is it during a Rutgers/Michigan game that our fans are still that obsessed with them that you hear FPS… what are we even doing? This isn’t a historic rivalry either like Mich/OSU, Auburn/Alabama, Texas/A&M…. This is a series where won team owns a 29-2 record over their opponent and the team with 2 wins in 31 tries references the other team every single game day regardless of opponent…. It’s one of the most embarrassing little brother complexes in all of sports. And no, you will not find a single penn stater who when asked which school they hate the most would answer ‘Rutgers’. It’s embarrassingly desperate

Almost as embarrassing as being part of their cult.

ADVERTISEMENT